Author Topic: Model M, Cast zinc chasis  (Read 1899 times)

Offline dmbaile2

Model M, Cast zinc chasis
« on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 14:27:50 »
Is anyone offering a metal cast chassis for the Model M?

I was thinking about Unicomp's offerings and how people seem to think the case is the major short coming..  It sure would be cool to have a metal case that you could simply move the internals of a unicomp into...

Has it been done?  Anyone thinking about this?

Offline willmurray461

Re: Model M, Cast zinc chasis
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 23:26:17 »
I wish they would! That would be amazing. However, if it were to become a reality, the case would probably cost more than the keyboard. Just trying to create a sustainable production run would be near impossible. However, if you're interested in a metal cased IBM keyboard, check modelfkeyboards.com. They're selling brand new metal case IBM model F's. Pretty pricey though.

Offline Kevadu

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 14 March 2018, 01:52:14 »
I wish they would! That would be amazing. However, if it were to become a reality, the case would probably cost more than the keyboard.

...isn't that normal for custom cases though?

I don't know of any but there are enough Model Ms out there I'm pretty sure something like that would go over pretty well as a group buy.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 14 March 2018, 08:45:49 »
It would probably be prohibitively expensive even with 100 buyers.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 14 March 2018, 09:07:52 »
I don't understand the appeal of cold, fragile, heavy, delicate, metal cases. I would prefer a low cost 10 USD plastic case offered in a variety of colours and finishing. The original case shouldn't have been more expensive than that.

Offline dmbaile2

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 14 March 2018, 09:54:21 »
I have had a look at modelfkeyboards.com and they look amazing.  Alas, I cant justify spending that kind of money on a keyboard without a modern layout .  Even the Model M without a windows key is imperfect for me...  I suppose I want to have my cake and eat it too.

Cast aluminum cases in the $120 range are already on the market in the custom keyboard world..  Given what model Ms are selling for these days, especially the ones with unique cases like the industrial model, dropping $200++ on BS keyboard isn't uncommon.  If I could buy a high quality custom case for $100-ish, I would certainly be interested.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 14 March 2018, 10:39:18 »

Even the Model M without a windows key is imperfect for me.

Unicomp sells a true Model M with Windows keys and native USB.

Haters whine and criticize modern Unicomps as having lesser QC standards than IBM "back in the day" but a brand new Model M keyboard with a warranty is a perfectly legitimate purchase.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 15 March 2018, 02:50:53 »
Is anyone offering a metal cast chassis for the Model M? ... I was thinking about Unicomp's offerings and how people seem to think the case is the major short coming...

It's true Unicomp's cases aren't as robust as IBMs or Lexmark's. On the plus side, being slightly lighter, they have a different, more resonant sound—and that's great for those of us who love the twang and clickety-clack of the buckling spring.

People have found several ways to reinforce Unicomp cases so they don't creak (although I never find that a problem when typing, just when carrying the board around). One GH-er found it helped to insert some black electrical tape between the bottom tabs (on the inside edge closest to the typist) and the brackets they fit into in the case bottom—see thread here. And here's another interesting and chatty thread on the topic that includes some particularly creative de-creakification methods.

Unicomp sells a true Model M with Windows keys and native USB... Haters whine and criticize modern Unicomps as having lesser QC standards than IBM "back in the day" but a brand new Model M keyboard with a warranty is a perfectly legitimate purchase.

Spoken like the Keeb Immortal you are! (Fo gets embarrassed when I call him stuff like that, which is why I do it of course.)

Personally, I think we're awfully lucky to have access to both vintage and newer Model M's. It's great to alternate between them, and appreciate what each of them has to offer. And they'll probably last longer than we will—especially if our president can't figure out how to stop acting like a 12-year-old.  :?D
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline mrhead

• Thread \ (•◡•) / Stopper
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 16 March 2018, 18:51:40 »
Personally, I think we're awfully lucky to have access to both vintage and newer Model M's. It's great to alternate between them, and appreciate what each of them has to offer. And they'll probably last longer than we will—especially if our president can't figure out how to stop acting like a 12-year-old.  :?D

Hey now, my 12 year old knows how to read.