Author Topic: Feeling Diffierence? Gateron Brown VS Cherry MX Brown?  (Read 9908 times)

Offline Pavilions

Feeling Diffierence? Gateron Brown VS Cherry MX Brown?
« on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 23:28:33 »
I'm used to using Gateron brown for almost a month now with Cherry Profile Keycaps, and I like the typing feel, then I bought another Cherry MX vortex keyboard with DSA keycaps, and I feel the typing feeling is less tactile and weird. I'm not sure if it's from the switches or the Keycaps Profile?

I only started to use the cherry MX board for 5 hours, so maybe it's because I didn't get used to it yet. ;D

For people who tried both? Do you feel any difference and which one do you prefer?

:thumb:

Offline killyou

Re: Feeling Diffierence? Gateron Brown VS Cherry MX Brown?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 05:29:04 »
It's both but mainly switches. Cherry MX Browns would be slightly less tactile and lighter than their Gateron counterpart. I would understand you asking about the preferences of other people if you would only have one keyboard on your hands but you have both so it doesn't matter what other people think since you can tell for yourself. Which one is better for you?

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 06:54:16 »
I think Gaterons are a little bit more tactile than Cherry MX or other clones because of a stiffer leaf spring (that which rubs against the slider) in all Gateron switches, not because of differences in slider or coiled spring. The difference is most noticeable with browns because the tactile bump is so light anyway.

Offline JianYang

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 07:09:47 »
Cherry browns are scratchy reds. What you are describing is more or less how everybody describes the difference. There are some claims that the retooled cherry switches are better.

Offline Pavilions

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 23:35:02 »
Cherry browns are scratchy reds. What you are describing is more or less how everybody describes the difference. There are some claims that the retooled cherry switches are better.

I think Gaterons are a little bit more tactile than Cherry MX or other clones because of a stiffer leaf spring (that which rubs against the slider) in all Gateron switches, not because of differences in slider or coiled spring. The difference is most noticeable with browns because the tactile bump is so light anyway.

It's both but mainly switches. Cherry MX Browns would be slightly less tactile and lighter than their Gateron counterpart. I would understand you asking about the preferences of other people if you would only have one keyboard on your hands but you have both so it doesn't matter what other people think since you can tell for yourself. Which one is better for you?

I think I found the issue which is not the switch it's the keycaps, the DSA keycaps is really not typing friendly I tried to get used to it but I think I can't the cherry profile keycaps are much better than the DSA ones. I think I need a new cherry profile keycaps set. :thumb:

Offline jcoffin1981

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 07 July 2018, 21:05:02 »
Can't you swap the keycaps from the original board with the Gateron switches?  There is a significant difference between Gateron switches and Cherry switches.  With that said, the keycap can have a very real difference on your typing experience.  Are the caps you are describing stock out of the box or are they actaul DSA keybaps.  Vortex makes some outstanding keycaps, especially on their Poker keyboards.  Are the DSA's you referring to really DSA or maybe OEM profile?

I have come to prefer Cherry switches over Gateron. They are more consistent and have just a little more resistance at the bottom of the keystroke.
KPB V60 Gateron Browns and Leopold Keycaps.  Poker 3 with Gateron Browns and Poker keycaps.  Poker 3 with Cherry MX Browns, ABS keycaps and white LED's.

Leopold FC660M- my new favorite, right out of the box.