Author Topic: Conflicting drivers  (Read 1853 times)

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
Conflicting drivers
« on: Mon, 13 February 2017, 21:55:36 »
So, maybe this will be a problem?  I have a Sentraq S60-x RGB.   I've had it all programmed and I love it.  Now... recently I build a GH60 Satan for a friend.  I programmed it on the same computer and then gave the board to him.

I hadn't used my sentraq again until tonight, but when I plugged it in, it didnt' work.  I check the device manager and it listed both the Sentraq  AND the GH60.  I'm assuming it has something to do with the fact that they use the same atmega chip?  anyway, the only way I could get the sentraq to work was to uninstall the GH60 drivers.

Is there a way to have both boards working on the same system correctly?   Anyone have experience with this issue?
« Last Edit: Mon, 13 February 2017, 22:27:20 by reececonrad »

Offline Tactile

Re: Conflicting drivers
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 13 February 2017, 22:12:27 »
The drivers should only matter when the keyboard is in programming mode. When in "normal" mode it should just appear to the OS as a keyboard and the OS should load the standard keyboard driver, which should work fine.
REΛLFORCE

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 13 February 2017, 22:29:15 »
The drivers should only matter when the keyboard is in programming mode. When in "normal" mode it should just appear to the OS as a keyboard and the OS should load the standard keyboard driver, which should work fine.

It's actually showing up right now as a Universal Serial Bus Device > S60-RGB

There is also a value for it as an HID device under keyboards.  When I hit the program button on it, it shows the atmega chip, as it should, under Universal Serial Bus Device.
« Last Edit: Mon, 13 February 2017, 22:33:03 by reececonrad »

Offline Tactile

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 13 February 2017, 22:36:03 »
Does anything change when you press/release the programming button?
REΛLFORCE

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 13 February 2017, 22:42:47 »
Does anything change when you press/release the programming button?

Yes, the listing under Universal Serial Bus devices changes from S60-RGB to ATMEGA32U4.  Also, one of the HID entries under Keyboards goes away

The only issue is that before, there was also a Universal Serial Bus device listed as GH60, so both S60-RGB and GH60 were listed, and it caused my S60 to not work.  The only way I could get it to work was to remove the GH60 device altogether.  Maybe if I plugged it back it there wouldn't be an issue though.  I think I have a spare lying around to check. 
« Last Edit: Mon, 13 February 2017, 22:45:00 by reececonrad »

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 13 February 2017, 23:05:30 »
I plugged in the spare GH60 Satan I had, flashed it, and no issues.  I think it was becuase I had tried to get the other GH60 (Rev CHN) programmed with Flip and screwed something up.  But I do have both boards working now on the same computer.  I just have to use the TGK toolkit and not Flip to flash it.  If you start screwing around with Flip and the Gh60 Satan(revCHN), you'll have a headache soon enough.

The only way I could get it to work was using EasyAVR to compile the hex and then dropping it on the reflash.bat file TGK tool.

I didn't have issues like that on my S60. I could build it out by hand and push it with Flip, no issues.  Same story with my pegasus hoof and a Filco Majestouch TKL.  The Satan is just picky.  But no worries, I guess... they're both working.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 14 February 2017, 07:44:30 »
I only use true Teensies from PJRC but I know that my computer can/will only talk to one of them at a time.

Usually I can unplug one and then plug in the other and have it work, but re-booting the computer is never a bad thing.

You could also boot up with a PS/2 keyboard and let the new first-timer be the first HID device it sees in this session.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 14 February 2017, 17:21:36 »
I finally got the the extra universal serial bus device to go away altogether buy uninstalling it in the device manager about 4 times, restarting, and uninstalling another time and then pressing the program button on the back of the keyboard twice.

I thought all was well with my S60-x but it wasn't working right (one of the function buttons wasn't working correctly).  I knew it must have something to do with that USB device listing, which shouldn't be there.  Once I got it completely removed it works as intended.  Now the only device that shows up there is the Atmega chip when I press the program button on the back.  (before, even when the S60 was not in program mode it listed it as a USB device as well as an HID keyboard).

Friggin voodoo, but it's gone and everything works right now.  I'm sure this is mostly specific to my setup, but I'm just keeping track of it here in case anyone could benefit.  Aagain, I think this all happened because I was screwing around the zadig tool trying to be able to program a GH60 with Flip.  Zadig is dangerous because you can force windows to run the wrong drivers.  The good news is that a series of driver removals in the device manager seems to fix it.

TL;DR: Keep uninstalling drivers in the device manager (check box to remove all data) and eventually you can fix conflicts :)