Author Topic: Comparing leather wrist rests  (Read 8203 times)

Offline keyjay

Comparing leather wrist rests
« on: Sat, 10 August 2013, 19:14:21 »
I owned a couple Browns full-sized boards and now a couple Type Heaven full-sized Topre boards from Elite Keyboards. I have used the leather wrist rest from Elite Keyboards for a year or more and really like it. However, what I did not like out of the box, which is only getting worse over time, is the slow time for it to regain its original shape when I lean on it with my elbow for awhile, which I'm in the habit of doing.

I have tried a 3M Gel and while I like the firmness and overall look, size, and feel just just fine, the synthetic surface material is unacceptable to me because if the room temperature becomes the least bit warm I'm getting stickiness under my hands.

Anyone have experience with a Ducky, or Filco, or any other leather wrist rest to compare the recovery behavior and other qualities to the ones from Elite Keyboards?

I really prefer to have no logo but I'm very much wanting something better in the sense of retaining/recovering its shape.

It's a shame because other than retaining the shape I really like the one from Elite, but it can take literally days for the deep dents from my elbows to come back to normal and lately it seems they may never go away. I can't be sure but I'm starting to think that even the weight of my palms over time is leaving impressions that it's taking days to fully recover from, if it fully will at all.

I'm almost ready to have someone custom-make one from a gel, covering it with leather for me. Extreme, I know, so hopefully someone can point me to something I'll like better than the ones from Elite.

I guess it's possible they've improved on the ones from Elite since I bought it, but I seriously doubt it. I'll ask Brian and will post here if he says they've changed. I assume they're fine of you don't lean on them with your elbow, but I don't plan to ever break this habit.

Thanks!

Offline jonathanyu

Re: Comparing leather wrist rests
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 10 August 2013, 19:46:39 »
if you don't like the change of shape over time, how about try a wood one?

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 10 August 2013, 21:25:10 »
Wrist rests aren't really design for the weight that would be placed on them from resting your elbows. I doubt you'll find one that avoids this problem. I use the cheapo Grifiti ones from Amazon, and have never had a shape problem, but then again, I just use them for my wrists.

Probably because that's not much better than resting your elbows on the desk surface.

Offline keyjay

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 10 August 2013, 22:01:15 »

The only way I'd do wood is wrapped in leather with a professional look to it. And I'd probably put a thin layer of cushion under the top surface. But I'm not going to get involved in all that if I can avoid it... unless someone who is already in the business is ready and able and offers it at a reasonable price.

I'm probably better off covering a gel wrist rest in leather.

But first I need to exhaust my options in investigating existing leather models.

Offline keyjay

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 10 August 2013, 22:07:46 »
Wrist rests aren't really design for the weight that would be placed on them from resting your elbows. I doubt you'll find one that avoids this problem. I use the cheapo Grifiti ones from Amazon, and have never had a shape problem, but then again, I just use them for my wrists.

Probably because that's not much better than resting your elbows on the desk surface.

None I've ever used before has an issue recovering after leaning on it with my elbow, with the sole exception of the leather one from Elite that I've been using. The 3M Gel for instance recovers 100% within seconds. It's got a very firm feel. It would be great were it not for the surface not breathing and it causing my hands to sweat and stick to it. I suppose covering that one with leather wouldn't be so great since underneath it still couldn't breath. I have never once had this issue with the leather one from Elite, but it happens very easily with the 3M Gel.

I really don't mind the solid feel of resting my elbow on the desk. I did that a lot when I was able to "remember" not to rest it on the leather wrist rest I have from Elite. The problem is that when I'm stressed, tired, or focused on a project that's not something I can keep remembering to control, and my habit is to go into "the thinker" position with my chin resting on my hand and my elbow resting on the table... or rather the wrist rest.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 11 August 2013, 00:59:26 »
I just noticed I actually do the same thing. However I have my wrist-rest about 2" back from the edge of my desk, which is just enough for me to put my elbow on.

Offline keyjay

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 11 August 2013, 05:57:08 »
I just noticed I actually do the same thing. However I have my wrist-rest about 2" back from the edge of my desk, which is just enough for me to put my elbow on.

See! It's not just me. :-) Interesting how we do these things without even thinking about it.

Moving it away from the edge of the desk probably wouldn't be practical for me. I custom-built a solid keyboard shelf for my desk to be lower than the desk and provide optimal ergonomics -- with chair and foot stool to match. I think moving it back would detract from those benefits. Plus, I have years of habit with the current arrangement. And at home with the desk being normal height my wrists would lay on the edge of the desk and it would restrict circulation.

Oh, well. I think I need to think about still using the ones from Elite Keyboards and maybe get "a few" so I can swap them out and allow them time to recover, until they get worn down and then replace them. Pretty expensive solution, I know, but my time is pretty tight and the time and money to get a custom solution made would probably cost me even more.

Or, maybe I can move them back just about an inch. That might  work. I'll have to try it can see. (I really don't want to move it at the office, though. The current positioning of the keyboard is just so ideal, as is the wrist rest, too.)

I think I need to get rich and stock up on the ones from Elite, maybe cycling three or four in rotation for recovery time. Maybe I can invest in the company that makes them or sells them so I get a discount or at least make money on myself. (Just kidding. I can't afford anything of the sort. I spend too much time researching keyboards and wrist rests and building customized keyboard shelves.)

« Last Edit: Sun, 11 August 2013, 06:03:57 by keyjay »

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 11 August 2013, 12:53:25 »
You might try the Filco ones

Offline keyjay

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 11 August 2013, 14:06:03 »

I think you're right. At least to find out and check it off on the check-list.

Offline keyjay

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 11 August 2013, 14:21:18 »

I think you're right. At least to find out and check it off on the check-list.

Well, I ordered one. I'm expecting, though, that it's the same materials and same manufacturer as the ones from Elite Keyboards. There's just too much similarity there. I'm guessing the form factor is the only difference.

http://www.amazon.com/Filco-FKBPR-Wristrest-Standard-Keyboards/dp/B000KJTP4S/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1376248779&sr=8-2&keywords=filco+leather

http://www.elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=access,palm_rests&pid=hm_prlb

Offline Noko

• jolonarr: a tough dude who takes no esses!
  • * Maker
    • Noko's Leatherworks
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 11 August 2013, 14:57:19 »
I'm into leatherworking as well as keyboards.  I'm actually going to experiment next weekend with making some custom wood molds for wet-forming leather wrist rests.  I can also throw in a try with a 3M Gel as well (if I can find one at Staples or whatever) and see how it goes.
Noko's Leatherworks - Handmade Custom Leather Wrist Rests -  http://www.noko.ca

Sales Thread: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=51762.0
Build Log: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=47704.0

Offline keyjay

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 11 August 2013, 15:27:15 »
I'm into leatherworking as well as keyboards.  I'm actually going to experiment next weekend with making some custom wood molds for wet-forming leather wrist rests.  I can also throw in a try with a 3M Gel as well (if I can find one at Staples or whatever) and see how it goes.

Keep in mind that "breathability" seems important. It's been the reason I can't use the 3M Gel (and for that reason I doubt covering a 3M Gel with leather would be that much better, but it might). And it's mentioned in the description on Elite Keyboards, not for comfort and avoiding sweating of the hands but so the leather will last (though for me both reasons apply): http://www.elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=access,palm_rests&pid=hm_prlb

EDIT: But does the foam breathe? I wonder.

« Last Edit: Sun, 11 August 2013, 15:28:56 by keyjay »

Offline Noko

• * Maker
    • Noko's Leatherworks
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 11 August 2013, 16:17:22 »

Keep in mind that "breathability" seems important. It's been the reason I can't use the 3M Gel (and for that reason I doubt covering a 3M Gel with leather would be that much better, but it might). And it's mentioned in the description on Elite Keyboards, not for comfort and avoiding sweating of the hands but so the leather will last (though for me both reasons apply): http://www.elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=access,palm_rests&pid=hm_prlb

The key to the EK rest is both the type of leather and the finish.  Veg tan leather is more "breathable" than chrome tan (which is what most leather goods are made out of), but generally needs a protective finish.  You have a choice between durable lacquers (which completely seal the leather, leaving it plasticky but protected from water, air, UV) and a more permeable finish like Tan Kote that lets oils through and so on, and benefits from leather conditioning once in a while.  I'm pretty sure from the way the page is worded the latter is what they've used.  I think it's quite doable to reproduce the same feel of the leather.  The innards shouldn't really matter, considering the thickness of the leather being used.

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 11 August 2013, 18:02:54 »
My EK rest is holding up all right so far, and returns to its shape right away if I run a hand over any dents a few times...but I don't put my elbows on mine, so yours might be under more pressure. That said, it's not like I go easy on it, either. With cheap, gel-based wrists rests, for instance, I find that my usage invariably causes them to start to leak (ick) within a few weeks, with complete destruction following soon after.

If only there was a wrist rest just like this one, but with a built-in trackball...
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline keyjay

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 11 August 2013, 22:01:56 »

The key to the EK rest is both the type of leather and the finish.  Veg tan leather is more "breathable" than chrome tan (which is what most leather goods are made out of), but generally needs a protective finish.  You have a choice between durable lacquers (which completely seal the leather, leaving it plasticky but protected from water, air, UV) and a more permeable finish like Tan Kote that lets oils through and so on, and benefits from leather conditioning once in a while.  I'm pretty sure from the way the page is worded the latter is what they've used.  I think it's quite doable to reproduce the same feel of the leather.  The innards shouldn't really matter, considering the thickness of the leather being used.

Dude, make me one that's as professionally finished and flat and even as the one from EK that doesn't have this issue of indentations remaining and that allows the leather to breath enough so that the hands don't sweat and I'll pay handsomely for it. Wood should be fine if it doesn't cause the leather to make the hands sweat. Maybe a very thin layer of foam under the leather, like 1/8" or 1/4" of semi-dense foam?

I'll take two. Maybe three.

EDIT: I would think EK's steel base inside makes a huge difference for the flatness, and weight. Won't wood tend to warp a bit over time or at least invite the possibility of it?

« Last Edit: Sun, 11 August 2013, 22:04:05 by keyjay »

Offline Noko

• * Maker
    • Noko's Leatherworks
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 12 August 2013, 14:46:30 »

Dude, make me one that's as professionally finished and flat and even as the one from EK that doesn't have this issue of indentations remaining and that allows the leather to breath enough so that the hands don't sweat and I'll pay handsomely for it. Wood should be fine if it doesn't cause the leather to make the hands sweat. Maybe a very thin layer of foam under the leather, like 1/8" or 1/4" of semi-dense foam?

EDIT: I would think EK's steel base inside makes a huge difference for the flatness, and weight. Won't wood tend to warp a bit over time or at least invite the possibility of it?

I would probably finish the internal wood core with oil-based varathane to minimize warping-- it wouldn't have to be a pretty job, just a good seal.  Maybe some moulding MDF as the core?  I'm not convinced about the need for the metal plate, other than just to make the wrist rest seem higher quality.  If you GIS the Filco wrist rest, there's a picture of the small crappy metal plate glued on to some cardboard inside at a random angle.  I would use a thin layer of upholstery foam over the wood, probably the best bet for being durable under compression.

I don't want to make any promises until I get a prototype constructed, but I was interested in working on a handmade leather wrist rest and your posts have given me some great direction.  I'm planning to open up a thread in Making Stuff as I work on the prototype this weekend, and then maybe I can go from there to an IC.

Offline keyjay

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 12 August 2013, 15:25:06 »

I would probably finish the internal wood core with oil-based varathane to minimize warping-- it wouldn't have to be a pretty job, just a good seal.  Maybe some moulding MDF as the core?  I'm not convinced about the need for the metal plate, other than just to make the wrist rest seem higher quality.  If you GIS the Filco wrist rest, there's a picture of the small crappy metal plate glued on to some cardboard inside at a random angle.  I would use a thin layer of upholstery foam over the wood, probably the best bet for being durable under compression.

I don't want to make any promises until I get a prototype constructed, but I was interested in working on a handmade leather wrist rest and your posts have given me some great direction.  I'm planning to open up a thread in Making Stuff as I work on the prototype this weekend, and then maybe I can go from there to an IC.

Just FYI, I don't know what GIS or IC stand for, but probably don't need to.

I agree a steel plate is optional "if" the wood does just as well without it (but it seems it could really help), and I agree we don't want to emulate anything about the poor quality of the Filco. But the EK does seem worth emulating since I own one and can attest to it being absolutely top quality across the board other than retaining indentations when leaned on with the elbow.

Looking forward to seeing how you progress on this. Please refer me to any new thread you create on this.

Offline Noko

• * Maker
    • Noko's Leatherworks
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 12 August 2013, 15:42:23 »
Sorry for the confusion--IC is Interest Check, and GIS is just Google Image Search!

Offline Noko

• * Maker
    • Noko's Leatherworks
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 09:45:44 »

Just FYI, I don't know what GIS or IC stand for, but probably don't need to.

I agree a steel plate is optional "if" the wood does just as well without it (but it seems it could really help), and I agree we don't want to emulate anything about the poor quality of the Filco. But the EK does seem worth emulating since I own one and can attest to it being absolutely top quality across the board other than retaining indentations when leaned on with the elbow.

Looking forward to seeing how you progress on this. Please refer me to any new thread you create on this.

Just started a thread on prototyping:  http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=47704.0

Offline keyjay

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 11 September 2013, 22:48:00 »
Let the record show that I have converted. I reserve the right to convert again but as of the past week or so I gave up trying to remember not to lean on or apply unusual pressure of any kind to my leather palm rests from EK.

I am now using the 3M Gel Wrist Rest (with antimicrobial protection, model WR310LE). I like it. It's not the same as the leather one from EK, but it serves the purpose quite well and I can lean on it all I want and it quickly recovers to its normal shape -- and that allows me to focus on work.

I chose this one after actually buying a few kinds online a couple weeks ago after considerable time looking at reviews, in order to finally stop being distracted by this issue.

I still wish I could use the leather one from EK, but I was spending so much mental energy remembering not to lean on it – and checking to see how much it was distorted from the proper shape – that it had become a considerable distraction for me when I was trying to get work done. They tell me they may find a way to improve on it, though it will be months at the very minimum if they do at all. I look forward to seeing that happen, at which time I will again convert.

Offline Noko

• * Maker
    • Noko's Leatherworks
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 01 December 2013, 18:58:55 »
Let the record show that I have converted. I reserve the right to convert again but as of the past week or so I gave up trying to remember not to lean on or apply unusual pressure of any kind to my leather palm rests from EK.

I am now using the 3M Gel Wrist Rest (with antimicrobial protection, model WR310LE). I like it. It's not the same as the leather one from EK, but it serves the purpose quite well and I can lean on it all I want and it quickly recovers to its normal shape -- and that allows me to focus on work.

I chose this one after actually buying a few kinds online a couple weeks ago after considerable time looking at reviews, in order to finally stop being distracted by this issue.

I still wish I could use the leather one from EK, but I was spending so much mental energy remembering not to lean on it – and checking to see how much it was distorted from the proper shape – that it had become a considerable distraction for me when I was trying to get work done. They tell me they may find a way to improve on it, though it will be months at the very minimum if they do at all. I look forward to seeing that happen, at which time I will again convert.

Wanted to let you know I'm finally in production and making wrist rests now, based on a lot of your ideas.  Whether you get one or not--thanks very much for the inspiration and suggestions.  The wood core and non-compressible padding were especially key.

Offline Phagocytosis

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 04 December 2013, 19:15:43 »

Wanted to let you know I'm finally in production and making wrist rests now, based on a lot of your ideas.  Whether you get one or not--thanks very much for the inspiration and suggestions.  The wood core and non-compressible padding were especially key.

Keep us updated! Are you planning on making it for TKL or fullsized? or both? :]
Leopold TKL - Ghetto Green
Apple Extended II - Orange Alps

Offline Noko

• * Maker
    • Noko's Leatherworks
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 09 December 2013, 21:24:55 »

Keep us updated! Are you planning on making it for TKL or fullsized? or both? :]

Hey,

Check out my sales thread, I'm making both :)
geekhack.org/index.php?topic=51762.msg1140582

I'm putting up my first fullsize tomorrow.
« Last Edit: Mon, 09 December 2013, 21:30:51 by jolonnar »