Author Topic: [IC] VE.A 2nd  (Read 186012 times)

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
Re: [IC] VE.A 2nd
« Reply #100 on: Tue, 27 November 2018, 12:47:34 »
I don't own a VE.A, but it's clear that whatever latency issues there might be are firmware-related or due to some other components than SATA cables.  Even if it were actual SATA communication (which apparently it's not anyway), even the first generation of SATA interface was able to transmit 1.5Gbit per second, which is far more information than relatively simple keyboard communication requires.  It should be more of convenience and aesthetics design choice to go with something else like USB-C, but it's possible SATA connection was more convenient for the PCB and code designer(s).
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline kawasaki161

« Reply #101 on: Tue, 27 November 2018, 12:53:10 »

can we please get 4 handed Goro from mortal kombat to test the theoretical "lag" that apparently is produced when typing 200wmp on VE.A v1

The whole thing has pretty noticable inputlag regardless of how quickly you type, easily 30ms higher than any other board I have. If you want proof, sorry I sold it because of that reason about one and a half years ago.

I own one, I have been gaming on the ve.1 v1 for a very long time, never has it once lagged in any game or effected my performance on FPS's at all. I have never ever noticed lag with my ve.a.

build album here for proof: https://imgur.com/a/lR64b

Oh yea, doesn't really impact FPS's at all, I tried playing rhythm games on it and it was impossible, the number of 30ms isn't made up because that's how much my timing shifted backwards when I used that board which made it utter hell to use for that use case.

Offline MajorKoos

• 1 life please. Extra large.
« Reply #102 on: Tue, 27 November 2018, 13:12:57 »
I don't own a VE.A, but it's clear that whatever latency issues there might be are firmware-related or due to some other components than SATA cables.  Even if it were actual SATA communication (which apparently it's not anyway), even the first generation of SATA interface was able to transmit 1.5Gbit per second, which is far more information than relatively simple keyboard communication requires.  It should be more of convenience and aesthetics design choice to go with something else like USB-C, but it's possible SATA connection was more convenient for the PCB and code designer(s).

SATA was chosen because of the number of conductors in the cable.
They needed enough for both i2c connection between the haves as well as the power and data line for the LEDs.

The connector itself was actually quite problematic from a manufacturing perspective and required that the designers manually modify the connector.  That's why everyone is asking about SATA - it was already a problem back then.

Offline NAV

• Formerly A_Vicarious_Death
« Reply #103 on: Tue, 27 November 2018, 15:21:37 »
I'm in, provided that SATA is replaced with USB. I don't believe the cable is responsible for the lag, obviously,  it's just a couple piece of wire,  but sata ports are incredibly flimsy.

I think it's clear from this thread that the IC starter is not very motivated to change the SATA connector to USB.

I like retro computing as much as most people here, but this dedication to SATA of all things is just something else.

Also, I saw the logo update, and I still find it extremely cringey. Do people really enjoy seeing all those visible holes on their expensive keyboards? Paging r/trypophobia

Show Image

This is by far the worst R2 I've ever seen. All the complaints from R1 were ignored, with extra new stuffs that nobody asked for or wanted.

Then don't buy it, simple as that. Let your wallet do your talking for you.

He's not going to have any problems selling the ones he does though.

So you're saying we should ONLY say positive things in IC threads? Are you so against criticism?

Can't you stop thinking in black and white and understand that I'm posting here because I really want to get a VE.A ever since OP teased R2 on the VE.A thread since last year or so?

I'm just seriously annoyed at how there is seemingly zero worthy improvement to this kit after all this time, and now some people are dismissing criticism as 'fake news' of all things. Ugh.

It is fake news until you can prove it's not. Go ahead and show all this magical proof that its the SATA cable that's causing the lag. Once you can do that, you may have a valid point.

I've already pointed out that people have experienced similar lag with other pcb's with similar firmware/hardware...and those aren't even split boards. Hell, how can we even say its the keyboard itself? Maybe the people experiencing lag are using a motherboard with a certain USB controller that has issues with the firmware? Maybe they're plugging into s USB hub that's causing lag. Maybe there's 20 other causes for the lag that haven't been considered to anyone.

You can be as negative as you want. Don't expect everyone to agree with you, and if you have such huge complaints, there's nothing stopping you from designing your own board with all the fixes you would like to see made. I'm 100% positive you'd have no problems selling these in mass if you can get everything made...Just like this seller is going to have no problem all of these ones as well.

Did you even bother to read the post you replied to? nguyenhimself did not mention the latency issue whatsoever. There were other critiques - the SATA issue is not just because of the latency, but also for replugging and aesthetics. Additionally, he/she mentioned the logo change which has been extremely controversial in the comments.

Don't dismiss criticism just because you want to give that succ. As said previously in this topic, just because something sells doesn't mean it can't be improved upon.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #104 on: Tue, 27 November 2018, 15:26:56 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Sat, 12 January 2019, 20:48:38 by alienman82 »

Offline dead_pixel_design

• IIIV is not a Roman Numeral. Positive Vibes.
« Reply #105 on: Tue, 27 November 2018, 15:35:29 »
The Chinese copied you, and they did a better job!!!!

The Chinese copied you, and it looks like crap.*

FTFY

Offline wholypantalones

• text and icon mods plz.
« Reply #106 on: Tue, 27 November 2018, 15:58:04 »

FTFY

Since we're throwing opinions around; aside from the logo, it's actually not that bad.

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #107 on: Tue, 27 November 2018, 16:00:55 »
100% disappointed in this, expected a lot from the 2' round and nothing which could say "buy me", I apolagize in advance but i'll be heavily critical about this:

- No important updates at all, same design more or less. 
- The only update makes no sense (nameplate), it's kinda ugly, at least make it brass or copper at the same height of the case to give it any sense. 
- NO BRASS used at all: no brass plates, no brass weights, no brass nameplate.
- All this time and the feets still makes no sense, at least make it in a way which should support the natural inclination too (once the keyboard is joined). 
- Probably mini USB + Sata? Sure is this 2005 afterall, why Type-C, why whatever connector superior to Sata (or pogopins which is old tech which looks good)
- BootMapperClient. Sure who wants QMK afterall /s
- Only Stainless steel plate, ok.

:rolleyes:

« Last Edit: Tue, 27 November 2018, 17:45:18 by KaosJ »

Offline superdoedoe

• ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
« Reply #108 on: Tue, 27 November 2018, 16:21:38 »
+1 to getting away from SATA

Offline ykill

• qed - Production Coordinator for deafmute
    • Deafmute Linktree
« Reply #109 on: Tue, 27 November 2018, 16:37:53 »
SATA is not a cable that's made to be handled. It's meant to be inside the case.  Keyboards aren't inside most people's PC/Mac computer cases (Linux people might have a keyboard inside and outside of their computer (I'm one of them))

Since we do move our keyboards occasionally, then it would make sense to use a more durable cable.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

qed on the gram @quality_enforcement_dojo
qed in 40% Discord

Offline heyitsqi

« Reply #110 on: Tue, 27 November 2018, 16:41:07 »
Was super hyped as I've always wanted a VE.A but just to echo some of the feedback

SATA: If there's lag that's problematic but the fact that it's SATA and not something like USB-C is kind of annoying
BMC: I much rather prefer QMK since I use a ton of QMK features but that's just my own usage
Brass: Would be nice to give heft. One big compliant I have of my Ergodox EZ is it just feels so damn light/cheap but again I accept that that's a me issue.

Offline tchalikias

« Reply #111 on: Tue, 27 November 2018, 19:07:03 »

FTFY

Since we're throwing opinions around; aside from the logo, it's actually not that bad.

I have to say that in hand this feels pretty solid all around, and it's obvious that it's creator paid attention to quite a few details. As for the logo, while I do not like it, it does not bother me at all.

Offline [Lewynlight]

• Formerly Dymloslouire
« Reply #112 on: Wed, 28 November 2018, 02:29:21 »
Just my opinion..

VE.A is easily identified because it have its SATA cables. it's basically it's identity.
if oddforge changes his design, the keyboard is just another '75% split' keyboard. it will lose its identity.
might be weird things to say, but yeah.
TGR Jane V1 CE - TGR Jane v2 - TGR Jane V2 CE  - TGR 910 R1 - TGR 910 RE Polycarbonate - TGR 910v3 Prototype - TGR Police - TGR Tris - TGR Tomo Polycarbonate - RS60 - RS65 "Pendora" - RS TKL - EM8

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #113 on: Wed, 28 November 2018, 07:41:36 »
lol @ all the people *****ing about there being no brass in this

SATA is one of the coolest parts of the original VE.A design, no complaints with that here.

Offline nathanchere

« Reply #114 on: Wed, 28 November 2018, 08:50:50 »
Finally! :D

Offline joostflux

• Cars, computers, anime, and keyboards
« Reply #115 on: Wed, 28 November 2018, 09:39:23 »
I am definitely interested in this!

Endgame? There is no endgame.

Offline fireworm

« Reply #116 on: Wed, 28 November 2018, 10:05:03 »
Just my opinion..

VE.A is easily identified because it have its SATA cables. it's basically it's identity.
if oddforge changes his design, the keyboard is just another '75% split' keyboard. it will lose its identity.
Dude what are you talking about.

How many "split 75s" are there? Two? This and the acrylic Chinese version? Please, point me to another metal frame split keyboard, aside from the Dygma Raise. Anywhere.

This one is clearly higher quality, supports alps. And is actually (hopefully) going the be available (unlike, any other split custom keyboard).

How many 60s are there with barely distinguish differences? Klippe Vs TOFU?

Offline schoolbus

« Reply #117 on: Wed, 28 November 2018, 10:19:16 »
Just my opinion..

Dude what are you talking about.

How many "split 75s" are there? Two? This and the acrylic Chinese version? Please, point me to another metal frame split keyboard, aside from the Dygma Raise. Anywhere.

This one is clearly higher quality, supports alps. And is actually (hopefully) going the be available (unlike, any other split custom keyboard).

How many 60s are there with barely distinguish differences? Klippe Vs TOFU?

There's also the DeltaSplit75 that uses the 3.5mm TRRS cable to connect like let's split.

I think there are many other "distinguishable" features of the VE.A that set it apart and give it it's identity. The biggest complaint of the board is the SATA cable, plain and simple.

It's still the original modern iconic 75% split keyboard as it was the original and still remains the ideal/best IMO.

I don't think there are really that many people who want the keyboard because it uses SATA.

Someone please prove me wrong, but when a VE.A is first spotted by a newcomer the reaction is usually talking about how it's a cool split designed keyboard, not that it uses a cable normally used inside your computer.
« Last Edit: Wed, 28 November 2018, 10:58:33 by schoolbus »
Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline ejewell89

• 4ever Smol
« Reply #118 on: Wed, 28 November 2018, 10:38:55 »
disappointed in the SATA cable usage.

also would have liked something different from v1. It's not particularly distinguishable imo.

I've been holding out on a v1 waiting for v2 and now i'm just feeling let down.

Offline dead_pixel_design

• IIIV is not a Roman Numeral. Positive Vibes.
« Reply #119 on: Wed, 28 November 2018, 11:28:14 »
Want to just add that I really like the SATA connector and don't care if it's not optimal. For me the board is 100% about design and I like the look of the SATA connector on my VE.A. now, and like that the 2nd one looks like it will have one as well.

Offline Wicky

« Reply #120 on: Wed, 28 November 2018, 11:50:41 »
SATA isn't my preference but I don't mind it as long as the lag above 100 wpm is fixed. The logo is definitely a step down as well. It just looks so out of place on an otherwise clean board.
Pok3r RGB | Planck | Lightsaver v3 | HHKB Pro 2 | Rama Koyu | Lubrigante | TGR Alice | Unikorn | Unikorn Poly | Thermal | KFE CE | 7v | Pandora | Viper v3 | Moment r0 | Bias r2

Offline fireworm

« Reply #121 on: Wed, 28 November 2018, 11:55:25 »

There's also the DeltaSplit75 that uses the 3.5mm TRRS cable to connect like let's split.

Didn't see that one.  Looked it up, and looks like it was just the PCB; no case.

Anyway, my point is 'split staggered' keyboards come around (it seems) once a year, so I'll likely take what I can get...  Unlike the insane amount of 'let's split' kits, or 'helidox' kits, 60% 'with side leds', TKL's, etc.

Offline Araex

« Reply #122 on: Wed, 28 November 2018, 12:00:28 »
I registered on this site just to make a comment for this lol.

I've been looking forward for this (ergo/split 75% is my preference), and I also think SATA is part of what makes VE.A unique (assuming it's not the cause of possible latency).

But that logo and the mini-USB port is holding this back from being an end-game board.

Offline AuthenticDanger

« Reply #123 on: Wed, 28 November 2018, 12:28:46 »
But that logo and the mini-USB port is holding this back from being an end-game board.

How is mini-usb holding it back?
F Keys belong on the left.

Offline Araex

« Reply #124 on: Wed, 28 November 2018, 12:35:59 »

How is mini-usb holding it back?

Big part of it for me is aesthetic; USB-C looks significantly better than mini.

And on the practical side, USB-mini just aren't very commonly used, so that factors into carrying an extra cable, switching cables when switching keyboards, etc.

Offline fireworm

« Reply #125 on: Wed, 28 November 2018, 13:23:05 »

I've been looking forward for this (ergo/split 75% is my preference), and I also think SATA is part of what makes VE.A unique (assuming it's not the cause of possible latency).

Welcome to the rabbit hole!  :)

??? Last year, all 'end game' boards were USB-micro / USB-mini. 

IMO, 'end-game' is about switches, caps, board materials, THEN (important, but not the most important), aesthetics / logos, layouts, THEN, cabling, LED's.

Offline AuthenticDanger

« Reply #126 on: Wed, 28 November 2018, 13:54:08 »
I also think SATA is part of what makes VE.A unique (assuming it's not the cause of possible latency).

And on the practical side, USB-mini just aren't very commonly used, so that factors into carrying an extra cable, switching cables when switching keyboards, etc.

Arguing FOR SATA connectors and then saying that USB-mini shouldn't be used because it "just aren't very commonly used" is crazy. USB mini is worlds above micro in terms of use and durability.
F Keys belong on the left.

Offline Araex

« Reply #127 on: Wed, 28 November 2018, 14:18:08 »

Welcome to the rabbit hole!  :)

??? Last year, all 'end game' boards were USB-micro / USB-mini. 

IMO, 'end-game' is about switches, caps, board materials, THEN (important, but not the most important), aesthetics / logos, layouts, THEN, cabling, LED's.

Thanks!  I feel like type-c in general only really picked up popularity the 2nd half of this year, so I can understand why mini/macro are still popular choices.

And I agree with your end-game priority; I'm waiting for my switches tester to come so I don't blindly buy switches!

I also think SATA is part of what makes VE.A unique (assuming it's not the cause of possible latency).

Arguing FOR SATA connectors and then saying that USB-mini shouldn't be used because it "just aren't very commonly used" is crazy. USB mini is worlds above micro in terms of use and durability.

I've accrued a number of custom SATA cables from building PCs over the years, so maybe that's why I like it and think it adds a unique flair to the keyboard.

And I didn't advocate for USB-micro; if I'd have it my way, it'd use the lighting connector since it's the least flimsy connector of all the common used data cables, and type-c being the practical preference.

Offline MajorKoos

« Reply #128 on: Wed, 28 November 2018, 15:24:18 »
On a positive note I do like the new cutout shape for the lighting.
That's a nice improvement over R1.

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #129 on: Wed, 28 November 2018, 15:53:20 »

but also worlds below type-c

Offline bthezebra

« Reply #130 on: Wed, 28 November 2018, 16:13:53 »
Welcome back painmaster!

Offline MajorKoos

« Reply #131 on: Wed, 28 November 2018, 16:29:44 »
It's going to be a while if and when we see anything.

Do you know this definitively? or are you just speculating?

Thank you! I saw this one but I thought the price was a bit high...but I guess that seems to be the only good baseline. 750 is enough to build a decent PC lol.

I spent $700 on mine, which is actually more than I was trying to put a PC together for =P

Considering the time it was simply between the korean VeA GB and the Massdrop one, the time the IC was on here etc.  It'll be a whole while.

The exception would be a R2, but he's denied it over and over

and over again  :blank:

The thing is... we actually got several(hmm... yeh, tens)  requests about stock or next round.
We released about 200 VE.As to geeky-mates all over the world. AND really proud of it :)
We don't care about rarity. But it's a bit old now. For a year and a half, we stuck in one model.
And VE.A is not suitable for production, SATA connector needs to be cut by BARE hands. and it's bugging me. and of course, was hard to handle.
So...
It's like chain-reaction kind of thing.
We want it to be fixed. Yeh.
That means, we need to fix cases also.
If we have to fix case, why not design a new one?
Thoughts reached here so far, still not ended. like cost, tilting, material, diffusing and so on.
And most of all, I am such a lazy bastard.
We are hoping you don't lose interests on us before we come back.

Hey, what a nice day to swim in thick smog! Damn. I got bad throat ouch.

This is the conversation I keep thinking of when discussing the SATA connection.

Offline cirrus82

« Reply #132 on: Wed, 28 November 2018, 17:29:49 »
These are personal desires/priorities. There are a lot of statements in this thread made as if they're speaking for the majority. Hope PainMaster tallies these up for themselves.

1. If there are latency issues, I'd hope they'd be addressed. I would be really surprised if this were due to the type of cable. Sounds like firmware would be more likely to blame.
2. The reliability of the SATA connector breaking is secondary, but it would be nice if this could be addressed since this is a v2.
3. Trendy materials (like Brass) don't matter if they don't fit the designer's vision for the board. I personally don't care for it on this product.
4. Seems like the "armored" theme was carried on to the logo, but I still feel that aesthetically it's a mismatch with the sleekness of the rest of the board. I'd like to see what it looks like without it since they are replaceable.

Overall, the excitement for this board is palpable. Don't let the negativity get you down PainMaster, you clearly have a product people want and will have no problem finding demand.

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #133 on: Wed, 28 November 2018, 17:53:15 »
These are personal desires/priorities. There are a lot of statements in this thread made as if they're speaking for the majority. Hope PainMaster tallies these up for themselves.

1. If there are latency issues, I'd hope they'd be addressed. I would be really surprised if this were due to the type of cable. Sounds like firmware would be more likely to blame.
2. The reliability of the SATA connector breaking is secondary, but it would be nice if this could be addressed since this is a v2.
3. Trendy materials (like Brass) don't matter if they don't fit the designer's vision for the board. I personally don't care for it on this product.
4. Seems like the "armored" theme was carried on to the logo, but I still feel that aesthetically it's a mismatch with the sleekness of the rest of the board. I'd like to see what it looks like without it since they are replaceable.

Overall, the excitement for this board is palpable. Don't let the negativity get you down PainMaster, you clearly have a product people want and will have no problem finding demand.

You offered both positive and negative input, however the remainder of people's concerns are "negativity" which shouldn't get "OP down" because he'll still sell keyboards no matter how much can be improved upon with a little more work put in. Sounds a little contradictory, maybe even hypocritical, does it not? No one's been rude in this thread at all, I'm not sure where the notion PainMaster is a damsel in distress in need of rescue from the evil people who want the best for him and his keyboard and want him to succeed is coming from, as stated prior.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #134 on: Wed, 28 November 2018, 22:47:23 »
I will be in for one for sure.

I like the slight tenting.

I am somewhat indifferent about the nameplate. If I had to choose, I'd say the original was slightly better, mostly because it was flatter and it had space for the whole name "VE.A" instead of just "VE". If the new one could be countersunk into the case a bit with a smaller font to fit the whole name, that would be cool.

I don't care what cable connects the two halves.

Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline dallman5

« Reply #135 on: Thu, 29 November 2018, 00:48:04 »
disappointed in the SATA cable usage.

also would have liked something different from v1. It's not particularly distinguishable imo.

I've been holding out on a v1 waiting for v2 and now i'm just feeling let down.

Agreed, especially on that last point :feelsbadman:
LF: OG Cherry APL (lasered), Artisans

Current collection:
More
Norbatouch (Galaxy Blue) | Mira SE (Lunar Grey, WKL) | HHKB Pro 1 (KB300BN) | Noxary X60 (Grey, HHKB) | KBDFans 5 Degree (Silver) | AEK64 (Grey) | Norbaforce (Tactical Black, WKL)) | Realforce 86U (White) | TGR 910 RE (Polycarbonate) | LZ-SQ (Black) | LZ-CLS (Grey, WKL) | Duck Orion v1 (Silver, WK)) | Nissho KB106DE | HHKB Pro 1 (KB300B) | LZ CLS-S (Blue, Poker) | Realforce 87U 10th Anniversary) | Realforce 104UK | TGR Alice (Grey on Pink) | Singa (Blue, WKL)  | Quantrik QXP (Blue Grey, WKL) | LZ-GH v2 (Black, WK) | KMAC Happy (Red, Poker)) | IBM Model M SSK (APL) | TGR 910 SE (Pink on Blue) | GSKT-00 (Silver, Poker) | OTD Koala (Silver, WKL) | Realforce R2 PFU Edition (Ivory) | IBM 3279 Beamspring (APL) | TGR Tris (Blue) | LZ-GH v2 (Blue, WKL)) | TGR Jane v2 (Blue-grey, WKL) | LZ-MP (Shine Grey, WKL)  | TGR x Singa Unikorn (Purple) | Justsystems x Realforce 108UG) | IBM Model F Unsaver (APL) | TGR Jane V2 CE (Multicolor, WKL) | Realforce 87U (Blank Black) | Lin Montage (Light Blue, WKL) | GSKT-00 AEK R2 (Grey, HHKB) | Leopold FC660C (Blank Black) | Duck Viper v3 (Grey on Black) | Rama Works M6-C RWxRW | LZ-GH v1 (Black, WKL) | Gok 7v (Grey) | biso x beaming Kei (SS, HHKB) | zacheadams x bisoromi little z | Matrix Noah (Silver/Grey, WKL) | Lin Whale (Pink, WKL) | TGR Alice (Polycarbonate) | Rama Kara (Noct) | Lin Whale75 (Burgundy, F13) | Realforce 89 (Ivory) | Hand Engineering Haus (Bluegrey) | Haytco CAKE60_R1 (Pantone 4167C) | LZ-XE (Grey, WKL) | Noxary X60 V2 (Grey, WK) | Daji Ochocuatro (Grey, WKL) | HHKB Hybird Type-S 25th Anniversary (Snow) | LZ-REs (Grey, WKL) | Matrix 8xv 3.0 (Blue-Black/Deep Grey, WKL) | Realforce 23UB | Biso RS60 (Black, WK) | TGR x MXF Koala (Grey/Black, WKL)

Italics = Incoming, Black = Gone

Offline Delirious

« Reply #136 on: Thu, 29 November 2018, 16:50:21 »
Hi, the SATA cable is so bad, I have to switch back to mini USB cables. Now my table is full of cable.

help

« Last Edit: Thu, 29 November 2018, 21:55:21 by Delirious »

Offline forevermadrigal

« Reply #137 on: Thu, 29 November 2018, 17:37:56 »
Hi, the SATA cable is so bad, I have to switch back to mini USB cables. Now my table is full of cable.

help

More
Show Image

Maximum efficiency poggers

Offline Spaghetti

« Reply #138 on: Thu, 29 November 2018, 17:39:33 »
The removable logo might as well be a cyst for all it lends to the case aesthetically

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #139 on: Thu, 29 November 2018, 18:00:49 »
This design seems like a step backward from the first. It is still rad, but it seems "cheaper" looking compared to V1

Offline Gajible

« Reply #140 on: Thu, 29 November 2018, 18:24:49 »
This design seems like a step backward from the first. It is still rad, but it seems "cheaper" looking compared to V1

Definitely. I wonder how much of the bottom case is actually machined, as well?

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #141 on: Thu, 29 November 2018, 20:00:37 »

Definitely. I wonder how much of the bottom case is actually machined, as well?

it's a nine part case, so the tenting screws into the bottom
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline rmendis

• Artisan addict
« Reply #142 on: Thu, 29 November 2018, 21:14:28 »
On a positive note I do like the new cutout shape for the lighting.
That's a nice improvement over R1.

Interesting. I prefer the straight sleekness of the v1 cutout, over the v2.

Offline keubibo

« Reply #143 on: Fri, 30 November 2018, 06:33:14 »
 :D please use USB cable and RGB switch too, it will be more attractive i think.
and the old logo too. thanks :D

Offline krisst

« Reply #144 on: Fri, 30 November 2018, 09:15:38 »
I have been using VE.A almost exclusively even since I got it from the last GB. Have no issue with input lag. I did use the BootmapperClient 0.10.0 with the Debounce Setting set to "1". This might have helped.

I don't mind the SATA cable choice to connect the 2 halves, most of the time, it does not move on my table. I would be nice to see design change to use other connections. Is it possible to use Type-C to connect them? That would be an upgrade.

I do feel that most custom cable sites do not have custom Type-C cable yet, hope to see more sites offer that as more keyboard GB are heading that way.

I read somewhere before the A in VE.A means armor. Many previous iterations are made of acrylic. Personally do not like the new logo, also don't see the need for interchangeable logo. This will just increase cost of production.

Looks like the changes will be small for this run. Probably not going to join unless there is a huge improvement. If it is up to me, I would just keep the same design as the last one, change all connections to Type-C. Both input and connecting the halves.

Offline Mr_BeastQuake

• Reddit
« Reply #145 on: Fri, 30 November 2018, 10:13:16 »
Pricing info? Is there limited availability? Is the sale run on the website? Lead times?

Can connect the two halves with a ****ing spaghetti noodle if it’s $20 and ships to my doorstep same day.

I liked the v1 and I like the v2 even if the look isn’t drastically different. Is there the connectable wrist rests? Or what’s the full kit?

Offline menuhin

« Reply #146 on: Fri, 30 November 2018, 11:12:47 »
Slightly off-topic but quite related:

Only if this Ultimate Hacking keyboard has completed R&D phase for all its modules, and has two function key columns on the left like the VE.A and arrow keys on the right, and then with a sandwiched metal case construction.
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline keubibo

« Reply #147 on: Sat, 01 December 2018, 01:02:04 »
Slightly off-topic but quite related:

Only if this Ultimate Hacking keyboard has completed R&D phase for all its modules, and has two function key columns on the left like the VE.A and arrow keys on the right, and then with a sandwiched metal case construction.
Show Image

:D i prefer arrow key than that ! btw it's cool design too

Offline Little4Real

« Reply #148 on: Tue, 04 December 2018, 19:12:43 »
I can care less about the logo, but USB-C and QMK are all that I would want

Offline Skull_Angel

« Reply #149 on: Wed, 05 December 2018, 01:52:18 »
Since the number of wires is what's important, wouldn't CAT/ethernet cable work? It's much easier to get custom lengths for than most peripheral cables, easier to work with for custom diy (imo). Though I'm not sure if it is much more durable since it is also solid-core wire, iirc.

I personally have no issue with SATA; if you build your own PCs you have tons laying around and they're cheap as dirt, if not.

Edit: it looks like you can get CAT7 wire in stranded core, so that nixes the durability issue.
« Last Edit: Wed, 05 December 2018, 01:55:16 by Skull_Angel »