Author Topic: Duck Black Bird Kustom Group Buy  (Read 178846 times)

Offline smittysteve

• Tea > Coffee. Clack > Thwock.
Re: Duck Black Bird Kustom Group Buy
« Reply #600 on: Thu, 17 August 2017, 11:21:11 »
I finally sat down to start this board and I realized that I lost all the hardware :(

I am having trouble figuring out exactly what I lost,  this board doesn't seem to piece together quite like some others have.  How many screws and screw types does this board take?  Right now I am only seeing the 4 screw holes on the bottom corners of the base.

Any help or ideas on how to replace would be appreciated

I'm using M3 x 6 for the front screws and M3 x 10 in the back. I don't think these are the original screws that came with it (where did those go...??) but they work great. Hope that helps.  :thumb:

Offline whizzard

• whizzard got ur gizzard
    • LOOTKEYS BLOG
« Reply #601 on: Thu, 17 August 2017, 11:29:19 »
Thank you very much for the info!

You're back!

Hi romevi!  Yea always been around, just been super busy :)

Thanks for the specs on the screws... does anyone know a good place to source tiny screws like that?

Offline smittysteve

« Reply #602 on: Thu, 17 August 2017, 11:35:26 »

You're back!

Thanks for the specs on the screws... does anyone know a good place to source tiny screws like that?

I borrow all of mine from a big rack of hardware we have back in eng here at work... Never tried these before, but it looks like a nice assortment. They have the same thing in M2... https://www.amazon.com/Glarks-230Pcs-Stainless-Button-Assortment/dp/B01J7NM9JA/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1502987497&sr=8-10&keywords=m3+screws

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #603 on: Thu, 17 August 2017, 12:11:45 »
I get my screws from Tacoma Screw company. But for when I'm feeling impulsive, I just go to HobbyTown USA.

Offline smittysteve

« Reply #604 on: Thu, 17 August 2017, 12:14:08 »
I get my screws from Tacoma Screw company. But for when I'm feeling impulsive, I just go to HobbyTown USA.

Tacoma Screw Company... those 'craft' screweries in the Pacific NW make some good microscrews!  :))

Offline megaforce

« Reply #605 on: Thu, 17 August 2017, 12:23:36 »

Tacoma Screw Company... those 'craft' screweries in the Pacific NW make some good microscrews!  :))

LOL  :D :D :D

On a side note, [shill] looking for someone to take over my brass engraved Blackbird weight from merlin64's GB. PM if you're interested[/shill]
Corsair K63 Wireless | Razer Huntsman Elite
More
Hokusai | Ogre| Yohane | Mc65 | Kaze | RBB
Former: LZ MX | LZ FE | LZ CLS TKL Silver |LZ CLS TKL Gray| LZ St | V.EA | Blackbird | LSV3 | OctagonV2 | Norbatouch | X60 | TX84 | Kyuu | SSK | 268.1| Jane CE | Corsair K95 | X60R | HHKB JP x JS HiPro | 910 CE |Nunu |Nunu FE | Jane V2 CE|Jane V2| RS (TKL)

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #606 on: Thu, 17 August 2017, 12:45:41 »

On a side note, [shill] looking for someone to take over my brass engraved Blackbird weight from merlin64's GB. PM if you're interested[/shill]

I wouldn't, his GBs are a little screwy.

Offline megaforce

« Reply #607 on: Thu, 17 August 2017, 12:46:45 »

I wouldn't, his GBs are a little screwy.

But he's a nice guy tho. My octagon gained a pound or two because of him :D
Corsair K63 Wireless | Razer Huntsman Elite
More
Hokusai | Ogre| Yohane | Mc65 | Kaze | RBB
Former: LZ MX | LZ FE | LZ CLS TKL Silver |LZ CLS TKL Gray| LZ St | V.EA | Blackbird | LSV3 | OctagonV2 | Norbatouch | X60 | TX84 | Kyuu | SSK | 268.1| Jane CE | Corsair K95 | X60R | HHKB JP x JS HiPro | 910 CE |Nunu |Nunu FE | Jane V2 CE|Jane V2| RS (TKL)

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #608 on: Thu, 17 August 2017, 17:54:00 »

You're back!

You going to make any more caps?

Offline superdoedoe

• ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
« Reply #609 on: Thu, 17 August 2017, 19:41:12 »
Whys the Google order form still work?

Offline Atredl

« Reply #610 on: Thu, 17 August 2017, 20:39:32 »
Whys the Google order form still work?
Elton doesn't always take down the order forms. This is definitely closed though.

Offline whizzard

• LOOTKEYS BLOG
« Reply #611 on: Thu, 24 August 2017, 05:25:59 »
Got the board together, looks great.  Problem is I can't get the DFU programmer to work in windows 10.  When I try to replace the amtel driver with the dfu programmer driver it does not work.  Just says I already have the most current version of the driver.  I used to just hit flip key -> update driver -> program the board with the custom keymapper 02D.  Without being able to change the driver, I always get the DFU Programmer not found.

Am I missing something stupid or is this just a no-go on windows 10?

Offline kawasaki161

« Reply #612 on: Thu, 24 August 2017, 06:45:16 »
On Win8.1 I was able to just uninstall the old driver and install the desired one. If that doesn't work you can still try using Atmel Flip or QMK Flasher

Offline whizzard

• LOOTKEYS BLOG
« Reply #613 on: Fri, 25 August 2017, 12:17:50 »
Thank you!  The QMK Flasher works really great in Windows 10.  I have been out of the loop, this is way easier than the old way as well.  I am really impressed by the Blackbird as well.  The angle it lays at is really really nice and it is super comfortable to type on.

Offline kawasaki161

« Reply #614 on: Fri, 25 August 2017, 12:54:01 »
I am really impressed by the Blackbird as well.  The angle it lays at is really really nice and it is super comfortable to type on.

Yeah, I hope Duck offers more boards with a 7 degree angle. His normal 11 degrees aren't comfortable for me at all.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #615 on: Fri, 25 August 2017, 13:05:51 »
I am really impressed by the Blackbird as well.  The angle it lays at is really really nice and it is super comfortable to type on.

Yeah, I hope Duck offers more boards with a 7 degree angle. His normal 11 degrees aren't comfortable for me at all.

Bad news for you, the Blackbird V2 is 11deg.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline kawasaki161

« Reply #616 on: Fri, 25 August 2017, 13:06:41 »

Good news for my wallet   :))

Offline Atredl

« Reply #617 on: Fri, 25 August 2017, 13:18:59 »

I get more and more disappointed the more details I hear about the Blackbird v2. Here's hoping a design like the v1 returns sometime in the future.

Offline onmybikedrunk

• Danny Woods - Industrial Designer
« Reply #618 on: Fri, 25 August 2017, 20:11:28 »
Blackbird v1 is one of the best KB's I own. ** I am looking for a spare PCB if anyone has one. **

Offline Atredl

« Reply #619 on: Fri, 25 August 2017, 20:43:29 »
Since v2 is going to be facelifted, I think I'm going to handwire my own blackbird from scratch. No point in waiting around for Duck to come out with another v1 Blackbird.

Offline gaiden

« Reply #620 on: Fri, 25 August 2017, 22:17:22 »
Since v2 is going to be facelifted, I think I'm going to handwire my own blackbird from scratch. No point in waiting around for Duck to come out with another v1 Blackbird.
Where did you hear about this news? Is there already an announcement?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Offline CMYK

« Reply #621 on: Fri, 25 August 2017, 22:43:15 »
Blackbird v1 is one of the best KB's I own. ** I am looking for a spare PCB if anyone has one. **

You and me both.

Offline Atredl

« Reply #622 on: Fri, 25 August 2017, 22:44:21 »

It was first mentioned in the Lightsaver v3 thread by Mindxthinker.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=89546.450

Although after a bit of researching it looks like this new board is going to be called Jetfire. Duck posted some pictures on his instagram a day ago.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BYI1X_Vjskt/

Maybe the Blackbird will still make a return  ;D
« Last Edit: Fri, 25 August 2017, 22:47:30 by Atredl »

Offline gaiden

« Reply #623 on: Fri, 25 August 2017, 23:02:20 »

Although after a bit of researching it looks like this new board is going to be called Jetfire. Duck posted some pictures on his instagram a day ago.

Hmm... That's not quite Blackbird though... Got the extra f-row. I really enjoyed the 60/10key/arrows combo very minimalistic and clean. Jetfire is more of a cross between TX-CP and blackbird, very pretty.

Offline Atredl

« Reply #624 on: Fri, 25 August 2017, 23:14:02 »

Hmm... That's not quite Blackbird though... Got the extra f-row. I really enjoyed the 60/10key/arrows combo very minimalistic and clean. Jetfire is more of a cross between TX-CP and blackbird, very pretty.

Yeah I didn't like the added f-row when I saw it either. It was originally posted under Duck facelift design and since it most resembled the the Blackbird we all assumed it was the Blackbird v2. If you read through the Lightsaver thread you'll see some people liked the change and others (like me) didn't. Though since this new board has a name now it isn't the Blackbird v2.

http://duck0113.tistory.com/136
« Last Edit: Fri, 25 August 2017, 23:16:17 by Atredl »

Offline gaiden

« Reply #625 on: Tue, 05 September 2017, 21:33:01 »
So I was updating my Blackbird keymap and try to upload the firmware afterwards the lights didn't come back on and key press don't respond, the only thing is when i plug in the usb i see a flash of light and that was it... any idea how to get it to come back from this?

well i honestly dont know what i did but it's back alive! i was ****ing around with Atmel flip and after that it still didn't wwork and i just pressed a bunch keys together... suddenly lights came back on! and keys works! weird!!! 1 hour of panic but it's all good for now...  :-\
« Last Edit: Tue, 05 September 2017, 22:33:35 by gaiden »

Offline smittysteve

« Reply #626 on: Wed, 06 September 2017, 10:47:41 »
So I was updating my Blackbird keymap and try to upload the firmware afterwards the lights didn't come back on and key press don't respond, the only thing is when i plug in the usb i see a flash of light and that was it... any idea how to get it to come back from this?

well i honestly dont know what i did but it's back alive! i was ****ing around with Atmel flip and after that it still didn't wwork and i just pressed a bunch keys together... suddenly lights came back on! and keys works! weird!!! 1 hour of panic but it's all good for now...  :-\

Yahoo!! The Blackbird rises again! :)

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #627 on: Wed, 06 September 2017, 11:52:28 »

Yeah I didn't like the added f-row when I saw it either. It was originally posted under Duck facelift design and since it most resembled the the Blackbird we all assumed it was the Blackbird v2. If you read through the Lightsaver thread you'll see some people liked the change and others (like me) didn't. Though since this new board has a name now it isn't the Blackbird v2.

http://duck0113.tistory.com/136

Thank God. That board is just another compact 1800. Blackbird is unique and should remain so.
keyboards.

Offline redbanshee

• actually Dade Murphy
« Reply #628 on: Tue, 17 October 2017, 13:03:00 »
On the hunt for a Black Bird PCB, $100 bounty... pm's please
« Last Edit: Tue, 17 October 2017, 13:35:11 by redbanshee »

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #629 on: Tue, 17 October 2017, 13:04:22 »

Oh no! What happened??

Offline redbanshee

• actually Dade Murphy
« Reply #630 on: Tue, 17 October 2017, 13:26:45 »

Oh no! What happened??

sigh, i am an idiot basically and forgot a stab on the left shift, then decided id just do a split left shift instead of de-soldering the entire pcb to install said stab. Managed to lift a pad because I used my de-soldering gun without tinning the tip and adding more solder before hand... mistakes were made and im going to blame it on the beer i was drinking at the time!

Offline gaiden

« Reply #631 on: Tue, 17 October 2017, 13:30:22 »

Oh no! What happened??

sigh, i am an idiot basically and forgot a stab on the left shift, then decided id just do a split left shift instead of de-soldering the entire pcb to install said stab. Managed to lift a pad because I used my de-soldering gun without tinning the tip and adding more solder before hand... mistakes were made and im going to blame it on the beer i was drinking at the time!
Well it happens..but I think given the proper instructions from maybe Duck there might be ways to jump it.. maybe take some pictures and post maybe someone here can help out. You probably have a greater chance of doing jumps than actually finding an extra PCB TBH...

Offline redbanshee

• actually Dade Murphy
« Reply #632 on: Tue, 17 October 2017, 13:32:47 »

Oh no! What happened??

Well it happens..but I think given the proper instructions from maybe Duck there might be ways to jump it.. maybe take some pictures and post maybe someone here can help out. You probably have a greater chance of doing jumps than actually finding an extra PCB TBH...

Yea, its been fixed with a jumper and works as intended but its just so damn ugly and me knowing its there is even worse!

Offline Aktavate

« Reply #633 on: Tue, 17 October 2017, 21:09:43 »
Any info on Jetfire GB? They mentioned it would be this month...

Offline Shados

« Reply #634 on: Tue, 24 October 2017, 10:01:39 »

Oh no! What happened??

Yea, its been fixed with a jumper and works as intended but its just so damn ugly and me knowing its there is even worse!

You can get replacement eyelets to repair lifted pads directly, although it sounds like this might only be useful for future reference, at this point...

Offline redbanshee

• actually Dade Murphy
« Reply #635 on: Tue, 24 October 2017, 10:42:00 »

You can get replacement eyelets to repair lifted pads directly, although it sounds like this might only be useful for future reference, at this point...

Yes I have eyelets, but the damage is actually on a trace connected to the eyelet unfortunately. Repairing PCB's with damage like that is a lot easier said then done, you have to have a variety of tools to scrape/clean/retrace and epoxy down the traces then cover them back up with substrate. I have done some pcb repair work myself and basically stopped doing it because you need like a damn microscope to get the job done along with a decent heated air station that I also elected not to buy. Its actually pretty comical cutting a custom trace and trying to set it with a set of normal tweasers, comical and infuriating.

Offline Oatburner

« Reply #636 on: Tue, 24 October 2017, 10:51:33 »
Yes I have eyelets, but the damage is actually on a trace connected to the eyelet unfortunately. Repairing PCB's with damage like that is a lot easier said then done, you have to have a variety of tools to scrape/clean/retrace and epoxy down the traces then cover them back up with substrate. I have done some pcb repair work myself and basically stopped doing it because you need like a damn microscope to get the job done along with a decent heated air station that I also elected not to buy. Its actually pretty comical cutting a custom trace and trying to set it with a set of normal tweasers, comical and infuriating.

Often times you can get away with soldering in magnet wire or wire-wrap wire (anything very thin) between the two pads that the trace connects. Or you can scrape up the solder mask along part of the trace, and solder between there and the pad it needs to connect to, though that is more difficult.

Offline Atredl

« Reply #637 on: Fri, 03 November 2017, 01:17:25 »
I don’t have all the parts yet and I haven’t even hand-wired it but I couldn’t wait to put the caps on.

Really couldn’t wait until Duck did another run :)

Offline redbanshee

• actually Dade Murphy
« Reply #638 on: Thu, 28 December 2017, 10:16:01 »
Still on the hunt for a Black Bird PCB, $100 bounty... pm's please :thumb: :thumb:

Offline maxf

« Reply #639 on: Thu, 28 December 2017, 10:55:49 »

Did I miss this?  I still like the 1800 layout a bit more I think.  But I was curious to the pricing.

Offline Atredl

« Reply #640 on: Thu, 28 December 2017, 10:58:31 »

Did I miss this?  I still like the 1800 layout a bit more I think.  But I was curious to the pricing.
Yup, Jetfire GB already passed. I think they’ve all paid and are now waiting for the boards to be made.

Offline yicaoyimu

« Reply #641 on: Thu, 19 April 2018, 20:15:09 »
Blackbird deserves a v2!
KMAC2 - Matrix Lab 8XV2.0 - TGR Jane v2 CE - KBD8X MKII - Meridian - Matrix Lab Noah - Fallacy x2 - MGA Standard - Geon Frog mini - Amano - Ciel60 - Prime_Elise - Matrix Lab 6XV3.0 aka Corsa

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #642 on: Thu, 19 April 2018, 23:47:20 »
Blackbird deserves a v2!
that's what jetfire is
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Little4Real

« Reply #643 on: Wed, 07 October 2020, 01:50:32 »
WE NEED A R2 ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline AzzYung

« Reply #644 on: Sat, 05 December 2020, 20:20:54 »
Please release these again <3

Offline pinkpurpleteal

« Reply #645 on: Sun, 31 January 2021, 02:54:27 »
just realized that i am still waiting for my replacement acrylic part

Offline AzzYung

« Reply #646 on: Tue, 04 May 2021, 20:43:15 »
Damn ..... I wish I had known about this hobby earlier  :confused: