Author Topic: Steelseries 6Gv2 - Where to go from here?  (Read 2703 times)

Offline Neutral_Eyes

Steelseries 6Gv2 - Where to go from here?
« on: Thu, 16 September 2010, 15:00:03 »
First, please forgive the non-existent post count. I'm usually content with lurking here as there's not much to be said about my experience with mechanical keyboards. I guess I've only recently started diving into the wonderfully expensive hobby you all know so well.

Aside from a childhood Model M, I recently purchased my first mechanical keyboard - a Filco FKBN104MC/NPEK, finding it to be quite wonderful to type on, I could last hours longer than usual (scissor switches are mainly what I came from) before feeling my hands eventually wear out. Unfortunately, I found the MX Blues' idiosyncrasies to be overwhelming while gaming, so I went looking elsewhere.

Everything about the Steelseries 6Gv2 looked good on paper for my needs, so I made my second mechanical keyboard purchase. I received it yesterday and have to say I was very disappointed. Most of the features they advertised were either exaggerated or just plain incorrect. The case is advertised as being very sturdy, and while this is certainly the case when compared to standard Logitechs, the Filco still felt sturdier. They advertise it coming with a braided cord with PS/2 connector; I received a standard, non-braided USB cord with a PS/2 adapter. The key caps felt about as sturdy as the Filco's, but had cut or mold marks where they were removed on the forward face of the key cap. On a few keys, the key cap would bind up and prevent a stroke unless I wiggled it around. The switches themselves felt very nice, if maybe a bit on the heavy side for extended playing. It's not the keyboard I paid for, though, so I'm returning it.

So now I'm wondering where to go from here. I've got a couple options I'm considering: Purchase a board with MX Browns or Reds instead of the MX Blacks; type with the Blues, game with the Brown/Reds -or- sell the mostly unused Filco and purchase a single Topre Realforce. If I went with the second option (and I'm leaning towards it), which key weights do you feel would be best for my situation.. say 60% gaming and 40% general purpose typing?

Offline Scarzy

• http://enecutive.blogspot.com/
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 16 September 2010, 18:46:22 »
Red would probably be 'best' for gaming, but browns will do just fine. The filco board is meant to be fantastic for gaming, not tried on personally though, yet. Red switched keyboards, you can usually import from Asia, but the postage cost is outrageous iirc.

E: Oh, and welcome to GH!

Offline washuai

• http://home.earthlink.net/~haruai/
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 17 September 2010, 17:40:22 »
Keep your blues, play RTS and type with it.

$144.50 Filco browns versus $177 Ebay Cherry Reds (Price + shipping).  I personally would buy a Deck 82, before I bought that ebay with cherry reds, but I think I have different priorities in a gaming board, than you do.  Especially, since I own two NKRO boards with browns for which the tactility does not get in the way of gaming in the least.

If for gaming you prefer full sized + linear, then the difference in price probably won't dissuade you.  I'd still recommend the $177 ebay cherry reds over $220+10.5 all 55g full sized realforce for gaming.

If you're going to get a uniform weighted realforce that is tenkeyless for gaming, I'd still recommend the cherry reds ebay, because the broker fees + shipping + $300+ board is too high a price to really recommend.  Plus, all 30g and all 45g do not come in standard US layout.

My G80-8200 is one of the few NKRO PCB browns around.  It is my favorite feeling board, which tears me up that it is my least practical board.  (It is too big for my tray at home.

According to reviews the leopolds & Duckys aren't as high of quality as the Filco.  You already didn't like Steelseries compared to the Filco.  The conclusion here is, the smartest buy for gaming is a Filco board with browns.

I don't know, you're gaming style or philosophy, but to me the logic is that a tenkeyless + speedpad (or mech keypad with a few extra macro keys) > fullsize board.
« Last Edit: Fri, 17 September 2010, 17:45:30 by washuai »
⌨(home)Realforce 87U ⌨(backup) Filco Majestouch 104 Brown ⌨(backup)Cherry G80-8200LPDUS ⌨(work)Leopold FC200RT/AB
☛CST L-Trac-X ☛Logitech Wireless Optical Trackman ☛ Razer 3500 dpi ☛MS Explorer DeathAdder

Lay-a-bouts:  ⌨Full 109 Key Virtually Indestructable  Keyboard ⌨Compaq Radio Quack GYUR84SK
Wishlist: ⌨KBDmania Pure ⌨Déck 82 ice/frost/toxic/royal ⌨Ricercar spos G86-62410EUAGSA ☠ ✞⌨miniGuru(s) ☠
 ✐Intuos or Cintiq

Offline Neutral_Eyes

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 17 September 2010, 19:14:29 »
Thanks for the responses!

As much as I'd love a tenkeyless for FPS and typing, I do use the numpad for FFXIV and work in Excel. My issue with the blues is the noise while gaming or listening to music. I guess it's just more than I originally anticipated. I wouldn't say I prefer a linear key; in fact, after playing with the blacks for a short while, I would prefer some tactile feedback with the activation occurring halfway down.

I think for gaming, weight between the blues and blacks would be perfect for me, which is why I was looking at the 55g Realforce. For typing, I'd probably prefer something lighter and quieter than the blues, also why I was looking at the browns! I guess the problem was not knowing what any of these switches feel like before purchasing. Maybe I'll eventually end up with both, who knows!?

Offline washuai

• http://home.earthlink.net/~haruai/
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 17 September 2010, 22:44:02 »
A good set of over ear cans + ear damaging volumes will take care of the blues noise, just kidding.
Well in that case you could probably try the clears, if you wanted the greater tactility to stop you from getting to far past the 60g force.  Browns are still the safest bet.

I think it is easier to ride the activation point of browns, than Topre.  Also, browns are bouncier than Topre, which makes them more fun to type on for me, even though the key feel of my Realforce is better than my Filco.
⌨(home)Realforce 87U ⌨(backup) Filco Majestouch 104 Brown ⌨(backup)Cherry G80-8200LPDUS ⌨(work)Leopold FC200RT/AB
☛CST L-Trac-X ☛Logitech Wireless Optical Trackman ☛ Razer 3500 dpi ☛MS Explorer DeathAdder

Lay-a-bouts:  ⌨Full 109 Key Virtually Indestructable  Keyboard ⌨Compaq Radio Quack GYUR84SK
Wishlist: ⌨KBDmania Pure ⌨Déck 82 ice/frost/toxic/royal ⌨Ricercar spos G86-62410EUAGSA ☠ ✞⌨miniGuru(s) ☠
 ✐Intuos or Cintiq