Author Topic: Strange 40% keyboard plate JD40 / fixable?  (Read 3403 times)

Offline snoopy

• The Flying Ace
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Gone with the Wind
Strange 40% keyboard plate JD40 / fixable?
« on: Thu, 20 April 2023, 15:26:17 »
Hello,
so I’m going through things from back in the day that I’ve never built. Today I wanted to build the original JD40, but soon run into problems and then realized that something is wrong with the plate. The space between some switches is totally off… see pictures. F and J are touching, also see in the rows above, there’s one space in each row that is smaller than the others. The overall dimension of the plate seems to be ok, cause it fits the bottom part.

How could this happen? The plate is from a groupbuy from around 2014, so I wasn’t the only person who bought one, but I couldn’t find anything that someone else had that problem.

I got a custom wood case that is made for that plate, so if this is not fixable, I kind of need that plate again with those outer holes. Any ideas?

Every help and hint is appreciated.

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
Re: Strange 40% keyboard plate JD40 / fixable?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 20 April 2023, 15:32:55 »
can you show how the switches are mounted?
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 20 April 2023, 22:23:41 »
While it could just be the switches (or caps)sitting odd, I have serious doubts, I suspect heat caused things to shift while the plate was being cut and no one caught it.

You can just reshape the slots a bit with a file, however, before you get started on that, put a straight edge along not just those switch holes but the outside of the plate as as well as all other rows. What concerns me is that while you can just fix the holes you see with a problem it's just going to push any problem down the line to the next hole. Same for the other rows and same with how it all sits in your case. It's possible that the whole thing is skewed and you're just going to chase one thing after another and then come to the end and find everything is tweaked and won't fit your case.

Verify before you start cutting/filing to save yourself a lot of headaches later.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline snoopy

• The Flying Ace
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Gone with the Wind
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 21 April 2023, 03:41:49 »
I’ll try to take better pictures soon. But I’ll think you’re right. So look at the metal above F between the switch holes. It’s way thinner than the others. Also it’s off about half a millimeter to the top, so the switch hole sits a bit higher. So it’s off in two directions and everything to the right is then also affected. I think I could have handled it somehow if it was only off in one direction, but this is too much.

Anybody got the dxf file for that?

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 21 April 2023, 12:36:38 »
Go to the KLE
http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/
From the top dropdown at the top select JD40, then at the bottom row select raw. Copy the raw data.

Go to Swill's platebuilder
http://builder.swillkb.com/
Paste the raw data in the correct spot, add in some edge padding (measure yours), maybe some mounting holes...
Send it off for manufacturing.

Profit?
« Last Edit: Fri, 21 April 2023, 12:38:30 by Leslieann »
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion