Author Topic: Modifying 104-key Unicomp to 103-key version  (Read 3807 times)

Offline Phormio

Modifying 104-key Unicomp to 103-key version
« on: Sat, 30 September 2017, 11:35:49 »
I read a post from a couple of years ago about modifying the 104-key Unicomp keyboard to a 103-key version.  The idea is that you remove the spacebar, remove the right alt key, and remove the right Windows key.  Then you install a longer spacebar and put the right alt key where the right Windows key was.

Here a link to the post I am referring to: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=67076.0

The only way to buy a 103-key Unicomp keyboard is to pay Unicomp $10 to convert a 104-key keyboard to a 103-key version.  If you do the modification yourself, then all you have to do is pay $3 for the longer spacebar when you buy the 104-key keyboard.  Thus, you can save $7 if you do the modification yourself.

I am wondering about whether there is a disadvantage to doing this.  I sent a personal message to the author of the post linked to above, and he told me that the longer spacebar does not activate the spring for the removed right alt key.  So there would be no problem with dual inputs.  I also contacted Unicomp, and this is what they told me:

"You could make the 104 into a 103 if your keyboard has the bail hold down tab under the < > keys. To do this you would need to remove the hold down tab under the N M keys. Note that you can't reverse this process once it's done and note that the warranty does not cover issues caused by this modification."

I don't know what the Unicomp representative is talking about, and I'm reluctant to ask them to explain further.  Could somebody please enlighten me?

I do not currently own a Unicomp keyboard, but I am probably going to order a Unicomp keyboard in the next couple of weeks.  I think if there is a risk of my doing something wrong when modifying the keyboard, then I'll just pay the $10 to have Unicomp do the modification for me.

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
Re: Modifying 104-key Unicomp to 103-key version
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 30 September 2017, 15:30:14 »
I can't imagine it's any more complicated than pulling a key and replacing the space bar.   There is no way they make separate barrel plates for the two variants.   If it just had a tab under NM that would still work fine with the larger spacebar.  If the plate has a tab under NM and a tab under <> you'd probably get away with leaving both as well (not like it's a tight fit).
Daily driver: SSK or Tenkeyless IBM AT
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 30 September 2017, 23:41:11 »
Only disadvantage is you can't remove the flipper under the key to the right of the spacebar w/o bolt modding the board.  Not sure if it would be any issue, like ghost keypresses.  103 is the best layout anyway, IMO; it's only $7...
  Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.

Offline Phormio

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 01 October 2017, 17:38:44 »
It's impossible to say without examining a keyboard I don't have.  Paying the $7 makes sense to avoid the risk.  Thanks for your thoughts!

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 01 October 2017, 20:58:24 »
Only disadvantage is you can't remove the flipper under the key to the right of the spacebar w/o bolt modding the board.  Not sure if it would be any issue, like ghost keypresses.  103 is the best layout anyway, IMO; it's only $7...

On a capacitive BS that could be an issue (I've had this happen testing layouts).  On a membrane BS though, it's not going to happen, you won't get the amount of force needed to activate the pad.
Daily driver: SSK or Tenkeyless IBM AT
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline Brinson

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 10 October 2017, 22:16:35 »
No point doing this at the moment. The 103 key unicomp is on sale on massdrop for $99 shipped.