Author Topic: KBD75 First Build  (Read 1698 times)

Offline HotRoderX

KBD75 First Build
« on: Fri, 13 October 2017, 19:27:09 »
In June I started my journey into the world of Mechanical keyboards.. I had owned mechanical keyboards in the past.. had always enjoyed them. Though June really marks when I found Geekhack, Massdrop, and shortly after Reddit. I started to really get into things and decided to buy my first build. I went to massdrop and ordered a KBD75 in Teal/Teal... that board finally came in today. I gotta admit there was some frustration with my first build but overall it went smoothly.

The board works great.. and there was only 2 minor hang ups. One being that Massdrop forgot to send switches. They sent me a single Speed Copper. Which truthfully worked out in my favor. I tried the speed copper and really don't care for it very much. The tactile bump is really high and its like it reverbs. When you push down and allow the key to come up there a second click feeling. I didn't like this at all and ended up building the board with some box blacks I had for just such a situation.

I took my time soldering and it ended up taking me like 3hrs total but I wanted to say thank you to the community. The advice the questions and so much more you all fielded help this build go extremely smoothly. I also think its why soldering went so smoothly. I took my time I made sure to do the best I could. I did burn a few spots but nothing horrible. The board seems to work perfectly. The other other mistake I made was layout! I manged to get my caps lock key as stepped instead of as a standard caps lock. I am thinking of leaving it as stepped thought as I kinda like that look and layout since its unique!.

Included is a potato quality image. I wanted to do a better image but wasn't able to contain my excitement. I also have to kget keycaps for the board.. as I am using a mismatched set at the moment.

Offline rich1051414

Re: KBD75 First Build
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 14 October 2017, 10:21:14 »
Looks great! Here is mine:
180211-0
Siig Minitouch with Orange Alps, Whitefox 60% Zealios 67g, Realforce 87U 55g Topre, LFK SMK/Alps TKL With SMK 2nd Gen Cherry MX mount switches, NEC APC-H412 NEC Blue Ovals, Unicomp Model-M Spacesaver, XMIT Hall Effect, WASD Code Cherry MX Clear, KBDFans75 Lubed Gateron Greens, Azio MGK L80 Kailh Brown, XD84 Pale Blue Box Kailh, NIB Pingmaster TMK Converted, KPrepublic XD96 Blue aluminum case with Jade Box Kailh