Author Topic: Mushy, sticky Cherry stab on ISO Return key?  (Read 1301 times)

Offline Softkore

Mushy, sticky Cherry stab on ISO Return key?
« on: Thu, 19 October 2017, 10:40:36 »
Hey guys, I recently bought a UK78 off mechmarket. It has an ISO layout. When I put my ISO Return key on the board, it stays permanently depressed. I'm using clicky switches, and the Return key doesn't rise back above the click mechanism.

The previous owner used an SA ABS keyset, and had no issues with sticky stabs. I'm using enjoyPBT in Cherry profile, and the Return key is the only one I'm having issues with. I double-checked with Rozakiin, and his stabs are facing the same direction, so I know they're not in backwards. I'm really not sure what the issue is, but I'll have to desolder in order to mess with the stab. Does anyone have any clues? I'd really love to get this fixed!

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
Re: Mushy, sticky Cherry stab on ISO Return key?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 19 October 2017, 10:51:07 »
Off the bat without seeing pictures it sounds like the Stab Wire came loose. Any way you can see if it came out of place?

The same thing happened to me as well on my X60, and it turned out the stab wire popped out from the clips.

Offline Softkore

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 19 October 2017, 10:54:32 »
Off the bat without seeing pictures it sounds like the Stab Wire came loose. Any way you can see if it came out of place?

The same thing happened to me as well on my X60, and it turned out the stab wire popped out from the clips.

From what I've been reading, this is likely the issue. Can't really see the wire until I desolder the switch, but hopefully this will just be a simple fix. Thank you very much for chiming in.

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 19 October 2017, 10:56:35 »

From what I've been reading, this is likely the issue. Can't really see the wire until I desolder the switch, but hopefully this will just be a simple fix. Thank you very much for chiming in.

I fixed mine without soldering FWIW. I compared how the stab looked through the plate with another stab that was for sure working. I removed the keycaps from around the area, and was able to put the stab wire back in using a bent paperclip. Wasn't the best option, but it did work! Just be careful you don't mar the PCB and ruin it if you go this route.