Author Topic: [IC] GMK Avanguardia - GB 15th December - GB Thread UP!  (Read 98763 times)

Offline Waterdrinker

Re: [IC] GMK Avanguardia
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 27 April 2020, 08:57:19 »
i like the shirts

Offline dibkib

« Reply #51 on: Mon, 27 April 2020, 11:39:21 »
The deskmats are great

Offline factoryofidols

« Reply #52 on: Mon, 27 April 2020, 12:03:00 »
The actual color palette of the set is fine if not a bit boring, but seriously just take down the reference painting at this point. It is just going to cause issues because you can't claim that was the source of inspiration when the palette isn't even close to similar.

Most of the issues people are expressing are because you claim inspiration from one thing but there is no way anyone would ever see that if you didn't claim it.

The deskmats are dope though.

Offline raz

« Reply #53 on: Mon, 27 April 2020, 12:32:43 »
The actual color palette of the set is fine if not a bit boring, but seriously just take down the reference painting at this point. It is just going to cause issues because you can't claim that was the source of inspiration when the palette isn't even close to similar.

Most of the issues people are expressing are because you claim inspiration from one thing but there is no way anyone would ever see that if you didn't claim it.

The deskmats are dope though.

Thanks for the support and advices! I am going to edit the OP and state better what we did with that picture  :thumb:

Offline equalunique

« Reply #54 on: Mon, 27 April 2020, 13:52:17 »
Great concept. Amazing renders. Cool extras!

I really like the novelties. Glad to see 2x2u & 4x1u R4C keycaps in the ortho/40s kit!
« Last Edit: Mon, 27 April 2020, 13:56:23 by equalunique »

Offline raz

« Reply #55 on: Mon, 27 April 2020, 17:35:48 »
Great concept. Amazing renders. Cool extras!

I really like the novelties. Glad to see 2x2u & 4x1u R4C keycaps in the ortho/40s kit!

Thanks!

Anyway here's my first update trying to address some of your concerns (some of you asked on the ic form too):
the set is not using N9 from GMK, it doesn't have the same mod color of gmk violet tendencies.

Here you can see the difference in contrasts and colors with gmk violet tendencies:

https://imgur.com/a/9x8lDK8 This is the link of the imgur album with a bit of different light conditions. If you have any more questions/concerns i am here to answer!

Offline fransuso

« Reply #56 on: Tue, 28 April 2020, 04:13:21 »
I'm so into this set!! I hope it makes it to the GB stage so it can become my first GMK set!!

Offline raz

« Reply #57 on: Thu, 30 April 2020, 12:33:57 »
I'm so into this set!! I hope it makes it to the GB stage so it can become my first GMK set!!

Thank you!

UPDATE:
Updated the OP with new renders and the color comparison with violet tendencies

More to come!

I am getting some feedbacks about people wanting more pink/magenta in the base set and novelties. I am making some changes so you all can let me know if you would like some modifications to the kits!

« Last Edit: Thu, 30 April 2020, 13:00:36 by raz »

Offline elmo

• Hello I like keyboards
    • Elmo's keyboards
« Reply #58 on: Thu, 30 April 2020, 13:08:55 »

Thank you!

UPDATE:

More to come!

I am getting some feedbacks about people wanting more pink/magenta in the base set and novelties. I am making some changes so you all can let me know if you would like some modifications to the kits!

Just some advice:
You should show a few more renders of the set on keyboards in more neutral colors because that is what most people are going to use this set on.

Showing a keycap set on a bright glossy pink board takes away the viewers attention from the actual subject of the render (the keycaps) because the board itself is way too dominant in the picture.

A dark gray, silver or white board would work much better and would show the keycaps in a more realistic environment.

Offline raz

« Reply #59 on: Thu, 30 April 2020, 14:18:46 »

Thank you!

UPDATE:

More to come!

Just some advice:
You should show a few more renders of the set on keyboards in more neutral colors because that is what most people are going to use this set on.

Showing a keycap set on a bright glossy pink board takes away the viewers attention from the actual subject of the render (the keycaps) because the board itself is way too dominant in the picture.

A dark gray, silver or white board would work much better and would show the keycaps in a more realistic environment.

Gotcha ;)
The alice like is white/silver and black, the u80 is "dark" - i just wanted to give some examples with matched colors!

Anyway, here you go:

Offline elmo

• Hello I like keyboards
    • Elmo's keyboards
« Reply #60 on: Thu, 30 April 2020, 15:25:32 »
Gotcha ;)
The alice like is white/silver and black, the u80 is "dark" - i just wanted to give some examples with matched colors!

Anyway, here you go:

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Oh those are great!
Makes the keycaps pop out much better :D

Offline MaKrum

« Reply #61 on: Thu, 30 April 2020, 15:35:03 »
Anyway, here you go:

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

your renders are really top man

Offline raz

Re: [IC] GMK Avanguardia - More renders and Color Comparisons!
« Reply #62 on: Fri, 01 May 2020, 09:55:01 »
hey guys, updated the OP with the discord server invite to get news and give me feedbacks!

Link: https://discord.gg/QbzhKdS

Offline kw88

I am not sure why to compare this to Violet Tendencies, since this set is GMK Nightshade
The only difference is colored number row and mono colored alphas and mods
In my opinion, these differences are very minor if we look at the whole sets
Moreover, Nightshade is set to gropbuy this June

GMK Nightshade - https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=102474

Offline raz

I am not sure why to compare this to Violet Tendencies, since this set is GMK Nightshade

Hey! I am getting feedbacks from the IC Form and people is worried about the color contrasts asking me the color comparison with Violet Tendencies, that's why i posted those renders :)

I did a fast render so you can see the differences in color palette and composition.
The color palette is different, the mood is different and the novelties/theme is really different!

Thanks for the feedback anyway!

Offline Scucka

It doesen't look at all like nightshade

Offline alper_maestro

I think more pink and white caps (such as the white deskmat looks) would be a great addition, maybe as an extra kit so that you can combine it.

Offline raz

I think more pink and white caps (such as the white deskmat looks) would be a great addition, maybe as an extra kit so that you can combine it.

Working on it! Wait for it :D

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
Base Kit
Show Image

Some possible kitting improvements for your consideration:
  • The R1 End and PgDn keys should be dark, not light purple, since they're intended to be used on the F row (1800/CP/96-key layouts).
  • The dark purple R1 \| can be removed (not useful since the entire number row is light purple).
  • The second R4 1u Ctrl key can be removed (pretty much zero modern layouts use 2× 1u Ctrl).
  • R4 \| should be replaced with R4 <> to avoid duplicate legends.
  • The second B should be moved to the spacebars kit since that's where the 2.75u, 2.25u and 2u space keys are.
  • I suggest using Num and Scroll instead of Num↲Lock and Scroll↲Lock, respectively, for a cleaner look. Also, Print might be better than PrtSc.
  • Similarly, I suggest removing all numpad sublegends to achieve a cleaner look on the numpad.
  • This is down to personal preference, but consider changing Code to System/Sys or Super.

Spacebars
Show Image

• This is way too many 6u spacebars, imo; two is more than enough. Either remove the light purple ones, or remove the off-centered ones.
  • The 1.75u space key isn't useful and as such can be removed.

40s Kit
Show Image

• There are several duplicates here that I don't think are necessary. Namely, the second R3 1.5u Enter, the second R4 2u space, and two out of the four R4 1u spaces.
  • If you want to support 1.75u space, this would be the place to put it. Two of them, actually, since the most popular 40% board that uses 1.75u spaces, the JD40, needs two of them.

Offline raz

Hey konstantin thanks for your feedback!

I am reworking the base kit and already addressed some of yours considerations ( <> and \| for iso compatibility, for example )!
Thanks for all the suggestions!

You're right about the 1u bottom row madness, but i wanted to make the 40s kit "smaller" and to give more options to the people only buying the base kit! As for the B in the main kit: you can use the shifts instead of the spacebars yet having the right alphas for all the alice like keyboards out there. It's a "small" price for having a good base kit, but i get your suggestion : a cheap base kit is good!

Also reworking the numpad and the swapping "prtsc" legend for print

About the 40s kit: i am trying to figure out what to do. Maybe i have to ask help from the 40s community on discord!

Thanks again :) I'll post the update in the next few days!

Offline KRY2SOON

• Divine Studios
Math class 101

Offline raz

So! I've been working to address some of the concerns about kits and some of the requests of the people who filled the IC Form.

KITTING

I fixed the base kit, adding full support to 96 and 1800 keyboards, swapping iso keys and adding the loved magenta accent:

Added 1.75u spacebars to the 40s kit. This kit is not final, i am getting sure it covers everything without doubled or unused keys

Removed 1.75u from the space kit

and for all of you asking me in the google form, i've added an alternative alpha kit in white:

MOUSEPADS

I've refined the mousepads! Added colored stitches and removed the Avanguardia logo. Size should be 900x400x3mm, but i am checking with the manufacturer all the possibilities and materials.

SOME RENDERS

This is a render with the white alpha and light mousepads. More render in the OP, more renders with different keyboards to come :)

I am going to edit the IC Form with the new kits and mousepads soon™

« Last Edit: Tue, 09 June 2020, 15:09:18 by raz »

Offline depletedvespene

• Old, used-up vespene geyser.
    • Keyboard-related resources.
I fixed the base kit, adding full support to 96 and 1800 keyboards, swapping iso keys and adding the loved magenta accent:

Show Image

I don't mean to be a prick, but the change in the "ISO alphas" keys has taken a turn for the worse. In the initial kit, you had R3 \| and R4 \|, but you now have R3 <> and R4 #~, which is... incorrect in all lights. I'll detail:

In a nutshell, "ISO alphas":

- English (US), terminal style: R3 \|; R4 <>.

- English (US), PC style: R3 \|; R4 \| (this was what the initial kit had).

- (Full) English (UK): R1 `¬¦, 2", , 4$€; R3 '@, #~; R4 \|.

- English (UK+US): R1 `¬¦, 2", , 4$€; R3 '@, #~, \|; R4 \|.

- "Partial British support" (or "Atlantis ISO", although that term is now forbidden): R3 #~; R4 \|.

The kit, as it stands now, has one key from the terminal style (R4 <>) and one from either UK-intended set (R3 #~). I would suggest going with the terminal style; another option is to do what a couple sets have done and use:

- "Appeasement ISO": R3 #~, \|; R4 \| (three keys instead of two). This would cover "partial British" and "US, PC style" at the same time.

Offline jeniverre

• instagram.com/keebgeek
Is it too much if we ask for Alternativo with numrows? So we can still use it in a different layout/set? =)

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
The kit, as it stands now, has one key from the terminal style (R4 <>) and one from either UK-intended set (R3 #~). I would suggest going with the terminal style; another option is to do what a couple sets have done and use:

- "Appeasement ISO": R3 #~, \|; R4 \| (three keys instead of two). This would cover "partial British" and "US, PC style" at the same time.

+1 for terminal (R3 \|, R4 <>).

There are some usage stats here. It turns out that the R4 <> key is more common than all of those other keys (R3 #~, \|; R4 \|), so I would definitely keep it, just update the R3 key to \| to be in line with terminal style.

Offline raz

Show Image

I don't mean to be a prick, but the change in the "ISO alphas" keys has taken a turn for the worse. In the initial kit, you had R3 \| and R4 \|, but you now have R3 <> and R4 #~, which is... incorrect in all lights. I'll detail:

In a nutshell, "ISO alphas":

- English (US), terminal style: R3 \|; R4 <>.

- English (US), PC style: R3 \|; R4 \| (this was what the initial kit had).

- (Full) English (UK): R1 `¬¦, 2", , 4$€; R3 '@, #~; R4 \|.

- English (UK+US): R1 `¬¦, 2", , 4$€; R3 '@, #~, \|; R4 \|.

- "Partial British support" (or "Atlantis ISO", although that term is now forbidden): R3 #~; R4 \|.

Thanks man, i totally missed the ~#, it should've been |\ (terminal)  :thumb:

+1 for terminal (R3 \|, R4 <>).

There are some usage stats here. It turns out that the R4 <> key is more common than all of those other keys (R3 #~, \|; R4 \|), so I would definitely keep it, just update the R3 key to \| to be in line with terminal style.

Totally this, i missed things during the editing. It's a pain working with Blender for the kits!

Is it too much if we ask for Alternativo with numrows? So we can still use it in a different layout/set? =)

I think it will go out of price, the kit is intended to be "cheap" as the base is pretty big

PS: Updated the op with the ISO Fix and the IC Form :)

Offline alper_maestro

The white Add-on kit looks cool and gives the set a different look.

Offline raz

Thank you! A lot of people asked for this in the IC Form and after a bit of looking at the set with white alpha, i liked it actually :)

The second more requested "feature" is a dark number row. I could add it to the base kit but it would be really big with all that keys.
What do you guys say?

This is a render of it:

I updated the IC Form so if you guys want this kit in the base or as an extra just let me know!

Offline jeniverre

• instagram.com/keebgeek
What if you add that in base.. and have the numrow highlights in a separate kit or in the alternativo? 🙂

Offline raz

What if you add that in base.. and have the numrow highlights in a separate kit or in the alternativo? 🙂

not what I've intended in the design process!
Numrow is definitely primary color key with white legend.

The dark numrow could be put in the Alternativo kit too. I just need feedbacks and number to follow up so i can get quotes from GMK :)

Offline jeniverre

• instagram.com/keebgeek
The dark numrow could be put in the Alternativo kit too. I just need feedbacks and number to follow up so i can get quotes from GMK :)

I'm in for dark numrow in Alternativo kit  :thumb:

Offline alper_maestro

Thank you! A lot of people asked for this in the IC Form and after a bit of looking at the set with white alpha, i liked it actually :)

The second more requested "feature" is a dark number row. I could add it to the base kit but it would be really big with all that keys.
What do you guys say?

This is a render of it:

Show Image

I updated the IC Form so if you guys want this kit in the base or as an extra just let me know!

If you don't want to push up the costs for the base set, I would not add it. But it depends on how many people are really interested in that also. Or you could add those in a different kit?

But I must say that it looks nice.
« Last Edit: Tue, 09 June 2020, 03:08:25 by alper_maestro »

Offline raz

What do you guys say?

This is a render of it:

Show Image

If you don't want to push up the costs for the base set, I would not add it. But it depends on how many people are really interested in that also. Or you could add those in a different kit?

But I must say that it looks nice.

So! I was thinking about putting the dark number row in the Alternativo kit with an extra dark TAB key. It will probably give the people the opportunity to cover 2 keyboards with 2 kits. I have to check it better but yeah, i think it's possible! Goint to try to render something these days

Offline gex

is it possible to add another 2u convex space to the 40s kit? 2x2u space is a thing in ortho world (planck, preonic, boardwalk, etc).

Offline raz

is it possible to add another 2u convex space to the 40s kit? 2x2u space is a thing in ortho world (planck, preonic, boardwalk, etc).

I dropped the second 2u for the two 1.75u but really i can put it back and leave the two 1u indacus spacebars. I think it's better having all the purple spacebars in the spacebar kit anyway!

I am going to update the OP with the fix!

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr

I dropped the second 2u for the two 1.75u but really i can put it back and leave the two 1u indacus spacebars. I think it's better having all the purple spacebars in the spacebar kit anyway!

I am going to update the OP with the fix!

Fyi, only the following few 40% keyboards use 1.75u spacebars: Vortex Core (×1), JD40/45 (×2). This means that only a single keyboard uses two 1.75u bars. Imo, it's not worth including the second 1.75u key for this reason. I'd even go so far as to say that 1.75u bars aren't worth including at all.

As for the spacebar kit, I believe I've said this earlier, but four 6u spacebars is way too much (and I say that as a regular 6u spacebar user). You need one or, at most, two. Keep the centered and off-centered stem alpha-colored ones, and drop the rest.
« Last Edit: Fri, 21 August 2020, 15:51:00 by konstantin »

Offline wolfez4444

I love the deskmats!

Offline raz

So guys! I've updated the OP with the Canada and Asia proxy! Thank you Deskhero and iLumkb!

Fyi, only the following few 40% keyboards use 1.75u spacebars: Vortex Core (×1), Daisy (×1), JD40/45 (×2). This means that only a single keyboard uses two 1.75u bars. Imo, it's not worth including the second 1.75u key for this reason. I'd even go so far as to say that 1.75u bars aren't worth including at all.

As for the spacebar kit, I believe I've said this earlier, but four 6u spacebars is way too much (and I say that as a regular 6u spacebar user). You need one or, at most, two. Keep the centered and off-centered stem alpha-colored ones, and drop the rest.

Gotcha! I would keep the 1.75u space to be inclusive anyway:

40kit without the 1u indacus spaces, 2*2u spaces and 1*1.75u space.

Spacebar kit without the indacus 6u spaces but 6u dark spaces, 1.75u and 2*1u indacus spaces

Alternativo kit with a second TAB and dark numrow. This with the base kit should cover 2 keyboards.

I love the deskmats!

Thanks man! Hope i will reach the GB stage to make them real eventually  ;D
« Last Edit: Tue, 09 June 2020, 15:09:47 by raz »

Offline Butterbeer

Re: [IC] GMK Avanguardia - Updated kits - Asia and Canada Proxies!
« Reply #88 on: Tue, 09 June 2020, 12:33:30 »
This post is confusing.

The artwork in the post threw me off because I assumed I would see colorway renders to match it.

After reading the post, technology is actually what inspired the colorway. Which now makes sense because it reminds me of Discord.

Offline raz

« Reply #89 on: Tue, 09 June 2020, 12:45:59 »
This post is confusing.

The artwork in the post threw me off because I assumed I would see colorway renders to match it.

After reading the post, technology is actually what inspired the colorway. Which now makes sense because it reminds me of Discord.

My english is not the best, so maybe i confused you with the description in the op!
Basically we've got inspired by the shapes of that picture in the op for the novelties and worked around a "more futuristic and tech" color palette around it.

I am glad it makes sense to you anyway  :thumb:

Offline jeniverre

• instagram.com/keebgeek
« Reply #90 on: Tue, 09 June 2020, 14:46:21 »
the numbering of rows for alternativo is confusing.. numrows is r1 and qwerty should be r2, isn't it? Asdf is r3 and others down, r4..

Offline DrHigsby

• The doctor is in.
« Reply #91 on: Tue, 09 June 2020, 15:04:18 »
You can drop the 1.75u spacebar from the 40s kit. The only 40% that I know of which uses a 1.75u spacebar is the JD45 and it needs two of them. It is also not a super common 40%.

Edit: same with the spacebars kit.

Edit2: looks like Konstantin already raised this point a few posts above me.
« Last Edit: Tue, 09 June 2020, 15:06:43 by DrHigsby »

Offline raz

« Reply #92 on: Tue, 09 June 2020, 15:20:54 »
the numbering of rows for alternativo is confusing.. numrows is r1 and qwerty should be r2, isn't it? Asdf is r3 and others down, r4..

You are totally right man, the copy paste slipped and i made some errors :) Fixed in the thread and OP, thank you!

You can drop the 1.75u spacebar from the 40s kit. The only 40% that I know of which uses a 1.75u spacebar is the JD45 and it needs two of them. It is also not a super common 40%.

I've put one 1.75 spacebar in the 40s and one in the spacebars but i guess is not cheap as an option.
I mean if it's only for one or two keys i can add it to the 40s, it shouldn't be a problem price wise.

This should be correct:

What do you guys think?

Thank you for all you advices anyway  :cool:

Offline CrazyAssMonkey

[IC] GMK Avanguardia - Updated kits - Asia and Canada Proxies!
« Reply #93 on: Tue, 09 June 2020, 16:08:15 »
Man this set is beautiful. It has purple so I approve.
2021 GB? :3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: Tue, 09 June 2020, 16:09:51 by CrazyAssMonkey »

Offline gex

« Reply #94 on: Tue, 09 June 2020, 16:14:11 »
What do you guys think?

thank you for adding the second 2u space! just to be sure those 2u spaces are all convex ones, right?

for me this is the best set of 2020 so i’m gonna definitely buy it.

Offline raz

« Reply #95 on: Tue, 09 June 2020, 16:26:06 »
Man this set is beautiful. It has purple so I approve.
2021 GB? :3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, if number stacks up why not? 🐱‍👤
I am working on some more perks!

What do you guys think?

thank you for adding the second 2u space! just to be sure those 2u spaces are all convex ones, right?

for me this is the best set of 2020 so i’m gonna definitely buy it.

Sure, convex 2u spaces. I think having a "complete" 40s is better even if more expensive.

Thank you for your support  💕

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #96 on: Tue, 09 June 2020, 18:03:39 »

I've put one 1.75 spacebar in the 40s and one in the spacebars but i guess is not cheap as an option.
I mean if it's only for one or two keys i can add it to the 40s, it shouldn't be a problem price wise.

This should be correct:

Show Image

What do you guys think?

He's saying that you shouldn't include 1.75u at all, which I agree with, let alone include two of them. It's so rare that probably none of the people who buy this set are going to use that key. It also definitely shouldn't be included in the spacebars kit, since only 40% boards use it.

I would suggest removing it from the spacebars kit, removing the second one from the 40s kit, and if you really want to include one, you can keep one (and only one) in the 40s kit. Even then I'd argue that it isn't for covering existing boards, but rather for future-proofing the set against new boards that might come out using a 1.75u space.
« Last Edit: Tue, 09 June 2020, 18:09:35 by konstantin »

Offline DrHigsby

• The doctor is in.
« Reply #97 on: Tue, 09 June 2020, 20:26:24 »

This should be correct:

Show Image

What do you guys think?

He's saying that you shouldn't include 1.75u at all, which I agree with, let alone include two of them. It's so rare that probably none of the people who buy this set are going to use that key. It also definitely shouldn't be included in the spacebars kit, since only 40% boards use it.

I would suggest removing it from the spacebars kit, removing the second one from the 40s kit, and if you really want to include one, you can keep one (and only one) in the 40s kit. Even then I'd argue that it isn't for covering existing boards, but rather for future-proofing the set against new boards that might come out using a 1.75u space.

Yes. This is what I was trying to communicate. Remove all 1.75u spacebars. Most 40% boards being developed these days use the existing sizes already in common practice (2, 2.25, 2.75).

You will not make anyone in the 40% community sad by removing 1.75u spacebars. As is, purchasing the Latin kit and the 40% kit will cover many 40% layouts for a reasonable price (this is a very positive thing!).
« Last Edit: Tue, 09 June 2020, 20:29:09 by DrHigsby »

Offline DrHigsby

• The doctor is in.
« Reply #98 on: Tue, 09 June 2020, 20:27:52 »
*accidentally double posted

Offline vocal118

« Reply #99 on: Tue, 09 June 2020, 20:51:53 »
zf,please