Author Topic: Keycaps for KDB75v2 - I messed up and need help  (Read 2735 times)

Offline nick1881

Keycaps for KDB75v2 - I messed up and need help
« on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 15:24:30 »
So after doing loads of reading and prep for my first build, plus some help here I thought I was all set.

I've ordered the keyboard kit and switches and keycaps and thought I was good to go, until I realised the keycaps don't have all the ones I need.

I ordered a Tai-hao set from spotoncases in the UK, then I realised it doesn't have the 1.75u shift key, or the small alt, ctrl or any function key, also the page up/down home end will be the wrong profile. The set looks the same as the Dark Tunnel set on the Tai-hao site, but that one isn't available so I can't buy them. I sent them an email but haven't had a reply.

What should I do? Ditch this set and buy another? If I do then which one, there doesn't seem to be many. I hoped this set would do for a while while I hunted down a nice GB.

The set I got https://spotonpccases.co.uk/product/tai-hao-exotic-layout-pbt-double-shot-keycaps-set/

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
Re: Keycaps for KDB75v2 - I messed up and need help
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 15:32:27 »
Sorry to hear that was the case but the best choice you have imo is to get a new set that supports the layout. You may need 1.5u modifiers depending on your bottom row, as well as 1u keys in the right profile for the rightmost column.

I'd personally suggest Novelkeys' Cherry PBT or EnjoyPBT if available in your region. I realize you're in UK so that may be more difficult to source.

Always check the kit render or photo to ensure your layout is supported.

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 15:32:36 »
A majority of TaiHao cap sets will not have specialized sizes that you are needing for your board.  Best bet is to look around for a cap set that actually does - personally I would stick with the set you ordered and see if you can have something made to fit the slots you need to have caps for. 

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline nick1881

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 15:48:49 »
Thanks for the replies guys. Didn't expect it do be difficult to buy key caps.

I'd rather have something darker but will this set work? https://novelkeys.xyz/collections/keycaps/products/osa-sleeves

I already checked a few UK sellers and didn't see anything in stock. Any other places I should look?

Edit - Would this set be ok? https://www.amazon.co.uk/HK-Gaming-Sublimation-Mechanical-Keyboard/dp/B08BKSK6GY/ref=pd_sbs_147_2/257-9010475-5355709?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B085249L6R&pd_rd_r=fe7e25c1-cf0b-4d27-bc24-59abe28050eb&pd_rd_w=mwh11&pd_rd_wg=3V5IK&pf_rd_p=2304238d-df78-4b25-a9a0-b27dc7bd722e&pf_rd_r=W0WZ9V6AK20GVV34RBD1&refRID=W0WZ9V6AK20GVV34RBD1&th=1
« Last Edit: Wed, 18 November 2020, 16:05:45 by nick1881 »

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 16:13:11 »

I'd rather have something darker but will this set work? https://novelkeys.xyz/collections/keycaps/products/osa-sleeves

I already checked a few UK sellers and didn't see anything in stock. Any other places I should look?

Edit - Would this set be ok? https://www.amazon.co.uk/HK-Gaming-Sublimation-Mechanical-Keyboard/dp/B08BKSK6GY/ref=pd_sbs_147_2/257-9010475-5355709?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B085249L6R&pd_rd_r=fe7e25c1-cf0b-4d27-bc24-59abe28050eb&pd_rd_w=mwh11&pd_rd_wg=3V5IK&pf_rd_p=2304238d-df78-4b25-a9a0-b27dc7bd722e&pf_rd_r=W0WZ9V6AK20GVV34RBD1&refRID=W0WZ9V6AK20GVV34RBD1&th=1

OSA Sleeves should work. The HKGaming set actually doesn't have support for 65/75's rightmost column.

Offline nick1881

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 16:29:40 »

OSA Sleeves should work. The HKGaming set actually doesn't have support for 65/75's rightmost column.

Novelkeys is $60 shipping to the UK  :(

I keep finding sets I like that are perfect on KBDFans only to see they aren't in stock.

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 16:39:06 »
If you really want, I can proxy one of these sets on your behalf; would probably ship it back out in a bag inside a small box, though.

Shipping to UK should still be like 25 USD though =(

Offline nick1881

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 16:49:18 »
If you really want, I can proxy one of these sets on your behalf; would probably ship it back out in a bag inside a small box, though.

Thank you very much for the kind offer. I will keep looking to see if I can find any other options closer, I'm just checking kprepublic at the moment.

I will get back to you if I don't get anywhere  :thumb:

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 17:16:52 »
I would think there should be a proxy somewhere EU/UK side that would have ePBT caps on that side of the pond.  What about CandyKeys.com?

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline nick1881

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 17:49:35 »
I would think there should be a proxy somewhere EU/UK side that would have ePBT caps on that side of the pond.  What about CandyKeys.com?

Sadly everything is out of stock at CandyKeys or coming soon.

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 18:03:11 »

Diego, you're a awesome dude! :thumb:

Offline nick1881

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 19 November 2020, 04:32:24 »

Diego, you're a awesome dude! :thumb:

Agreed  :)

Kprepublic have said to have a look at the Domikey sets

https://kprepublic.com/products/domikey-sa-abs-doubleshot-keycap-semiconductor-mx-stem-keyboard-green-black?_pos=2&_sid=af1b43cd6&_ss=r&variant=35522829287587

I take it I would need the base, modifiers, mod plus and of course UK? $96 and free shipping. Not too bad.

Or this set https://kprepublic.com/products/domikey-sa-abs-doubleshot-keycap-set-wob-white-on-black-sa-mx-stem?_pos=17&_sid=af1b43cd6&_ss=r&variant=35022425948323

87 TKL & Mod plus?
« Last Edit: Thu, 19 November 2020, 04:43:35 by nick1881 »

Offline nick1881

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 19 November 2020, 06:33:56 »
I'm leaning towards the white on black set and from what I can see it has everything I need with the TKL and mod plus set, though the all in one is less than $2 more.

Unless I'm totally wrong I'll go ahead and order this, can someone kindly confirm for a noob?

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 19 November 2020, 07:56:02 »
I'm leaning towards the white on black set and from what I can see it has everything I need with the TKL and mod plus set, though the all in one is less than $2 more.

Unless I'm totally wrong I'll go ahead and order this, can someone kindly confirm for a noob?

That works. You might as well also get the 7u spacebar from the spacebar kit as well in case you ever switch to a layout with it but yeah, it's up to you. The all in one is probably the better deal though.

Offline nick1881

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 19 November 2020, 08:30:50 »

That works. You might as well also get the 7u spacebar from the spacebar kit as well in case you ever switch to a layout with it but yeah, it's up to you. The all in one is probably the better deal though.

Thanks dude, I ordered the all in one kit. Might take a while to come. I'm less stressed and more excited again now.

My next worry will be loading the correct firmware and getting it all setup once built.

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 20 November 2020, 12:44:36 »

Thanks dude, I ordered the all in one kit. Might take a while to come. I'm less stressed and more excited again now.

My next worry will be loading the correct firmware and getting it all setup once built.
If you can learn to flash one hex file using QMK Toolbox, the rest is easy. You'd just be flashing the hex file available under firmware downloads on caniusevia.com and then use VIA to reprogram the board when needed.

Offline nick1881

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 20 November 2020, 17:11:27 »

If you can learn to flash one hex file using QMK Toolbox, the rest is easy. You'd just be flashing the hex file available under firmware downloads on caniusevia.com and then use VIA to reprogram the board when needed.

Thanks. I just followed a youtube video by MechMerlin and have used QMK to configure a layout and compile the firmware, I think I should be ready to flash the board when it arrives.

My keyboard kit is well on the way, tracking last showed it in Belgium today. I have next week off work so I hope it arrives then.