Author Topic: Horror Movie Suggestions and Discussion  (Read 82495 times)

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
Re: Horror Movie Suggestions and Discussion
« Reply #150 on: Tue, 23 January 2018, 15:33:44 »
but the lack of Ving Rhames and zombies babies puts it a bit behind.

Offline naveed

« Reply #151 on: Wed, 21 February 2018, 14:54:01 »
Jeepers Creepers is one my favorites. The sequels are horrendous though.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #152 on: Wed, 21 February 2018, 18:14:06 »
Jeepers Creepers is one my favorites. The sequels are horrendous though.

I thought the second one was better than the first :/

Offline hayt

• * Maker
« Reply #153 on: Fri, 24 August 2018, 14:09:45 »
Cool thread, Dale. Dunno why I never saw before but najs  :thumb:

Offline Rubbermilitia

« Reply #154 on: Fri, 24 August 2018, 14:14:46 »
Xtro is awesome. If you're willing to watch a woman give birth to a full grown man.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #155 on: Fri, 24 August 2018, 14:45:25 »
TBH I'm not sure a scary movie exists at all. Of all the emotions a film can elicit, fright has never been one of them for me. Try as I may to find a film that can to no avail.

Offline Ephemeral

« Reply #156 on: Fri, 24 August 2018, 15:11:25 »
TBH I'm not sure a scary movie exists at all. Of all the emotions a film can elicit, fright has never been one of them for me. Try as I may to find a film that can to no avail.

I've had this issue as well. Horror is a genre I really want to get into but rarely can.
Collection:
More
E6.5 (Lubed 50g MX Blacks) | Preonic (55g MX Clears) | CA66 (Zealios V2 65g) | budget96 (MX Red) | Infinity 60% (Zealios 78g) | Phantom TKL (Gateron Black) | MiniVan (Zealios 78g) | Helix (?)
[Incoming: Polaris (?) |  KBDFans 8X Mk II (v2 Tealios)]

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #157 on: Fri, 24 August 2018, 16:11:33 »
Tp4 gets scared by loud noises all the time..

/ur all liars..

/fright is a natural response..

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #158 on: Fri, 24 August 2018, 16:19:31 »
I've been frightened in real life to be sure. But I can honestly say I've never experienced real fear from any movie or video game. It's just too easy to disassociate the media from what is real so my brain thinks it's funny, if anything. I enjoy horror very much but for some of the same reasons I also enjoy comedy.

OK, I lied. There was that one time I played through Amnesia on mushrooms, but besides that never.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #159 on: Fri, 24 August 2018, 17:25:13 »
I've been frightened in real life to be sure. But I can honestly say I've never experienced real fear from any movie or video game. It's just too easy to disassociate the media from what is real so my brain thinks it's funny, if anything. I enjoy horror very much but for some of the same reasons I also enjoy comedy.

OK, I lied. There was that one time I played through Amnesia on mushrooms, but besides that never.

But then, you're only contentious on Definition.

Because movies are Fake,  how could (whatever fear/ response) it elicits be REAL fear, as opposed to actual threat of harm..

Offline Rubbermilitia

« Reply #160 on: Fri, 24 August 2018, 18:21:28 »

Ok yeah horror games are a lot more terrifying than movies, for the fact that they require user input in order to move the story forward. that, in addition to the fact that the events taking place feel like they're happening to you, rather than some protagonist in a movie. Outlast is pretty terrifying. I heard good things about The Forest, but so far its a really disappointing survival/builder game

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #161 on: Mon, 27 August 2018, 08:58:16 »

Ok yeah horror games are a lot more terrifying than movies, for the fact that they require user input in order to move the story forward. that, in addition to the fact that the events taking place feel like they're happening to you, rather than some protagonist in a movie. Outlast is pretty terrifying. I heard good things about The Forest, but so far its a really disappointing survival/builder game

I found the building aspect of The Forest kinda lackluster, but the horror aspects seemed pretty good.  Wandering around caves below ground when your flashlight dies and all you have is your lighter, only to hear those weird-ass cannibal howls and running around you... :blank:
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline 9999hp

« Reply #162 on: Tue, 28 August 2018, 14:45:03 »
Not a huge fan of classic horror and jump scares; I feel like they are low effort and require a level of immersion I can't put into things I find corny. However, there are some really interesting settings/plots that have cosmic horror themes. IT is a pretty good recent example. And there was a movie on netflix about a black triangle portal that took place in a clinic that was interesting. "The Void" is what is was called; so I guess I don't watch the movies to be spooked; just to get into the setting/lore and get the imagination running.

Offline hayt

• * Maker
« Reply #163 on: Tue, 28 August 2018, 14:46:24 »
ne Wishmaster fans?

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #164 on: Wed, 29 August 2018, 08:56:22 »
ne Wishmaster fans?

I liked the original one but didn't see any of the others.
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline warmaster

« Reply #165 on: Fri, 14 September 2018, 03:33:39 »
Normally hate found footage stuff but Creep is one of the only horror films that has come out in the last 10 years that I really liked (Sam Raimis's Drag Me to Hell was probs the only other one).

They made a Creep 2 that came out maybe last year that I only got halfway through cause it didn't engage me but I believe others liked it.

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #166 on: Mon, 24 September 2018, 10:09:29 »
Watched Pitch Black again this weekend, love that damn movie.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #167 on: Mon, 24 September 2018, 10:53:21 »

The entire rid**** series is pretty good..

Too bad He's all doughy now.

A bit awkward when he plays the secs-symbol in the recent fast/furious movies...

Kinda like, wait wat..

Either that, or dad-bod has become mainstream secs-symbol.. ??

IDK,  Tp4 hasn't participated in society much these days,  perhaps it has occured..

Gekha THOUGHTS ??

Offline hayt

• * Maker
« Reply #168 on: Mon, 24 September 2018, 10:54:32 »

A bit awkward when he plays the secs-symbol in the recent fast/furious movies...

Kinda like, wait wat..

IDK,  Tp4 hasn't participated in society much these days,  perhaps it has occured..

Gekha THOUGHTS ??

dude, you didn't hear? dad bod is totally the new trend

i could rewatch pitch black but i'll skip the others

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #169 on: Mon, 24 September 2018, 11:02:43 »

dude, you didn't hear? dad bod is totally the new trend

i could rewatch pitch black but i'll skip the others

Given 70% of total adult population is overweight, 35% obese. West Virginia 38% Most Fluffy state.

Dad-bod in today's brackets would certainly be the statistically Thinner side..

What a time to live in.. hahahaha

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #170 on: Mon, 24 September 2018, 11:10:36 »

Kinda like, wait wat..

Gekha THOUGHTS ??

Dad bod definitely in, but I don't trust your opinion of "doughy" tp4 as you said the same thing about Arnold and he is still ripped af.  But either way, Vin is over 50 now so I'm cutting him some slack even if he's not as ripped as he was almost 20 years ago.

Regarding the series tho, Pitch Black > Dark Fury > Rid**** > Chronicles of Rid****.  I would kinda like to revisit the games though, as I remember Escape from Butcher Bay being a damn good time.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #171 on: Mon, 24 September 2018, 22:04:15 »
Was in a weird mood last night and watched Timecrimes and Upgrade. Both were very good, but I wouldn't call either one horror.

Also watched the original It(1990)  and laughed the entire time, it's so damn bad. Between the writing and acting one might legitimately mistake it for a comedy.

Offline Carcharocles

• Location: In the lonely, desolate wasteland of South Kansas City
    • The Deathscape Mythos
« Reply #172 on: Tue, 25 September 2018, 12:12:01 »
Between the writing and acting one might legitimately mistake it for a comedy.

Horror comedies exist, and generally run with the "deliberately awful" concept until it becomes funny. Not so much in the past, where the horror and comedy could actually elicit conflicting emotions (or a rollercoaster ride of hilarity and nightmares), but then again all genres change with time. In general, most horror comedies today result from the same thing that made movies like Gremlins and Army of Darkness the way they were: director has script, director likes the script but can't hire good actors/sfx company, director decides to take a hatchet to the script, go overboard on the rubber monster effects and hire the hammiest actors he can find. Oh, and invest in gallons upon gallons of fake blood and make plenty of self-conscious jabs at its own insanity.

This is also why direct to DVD and TV horror films manage to make money: they thrive on purposeful awfulness, actors gobbling up the sets, and just plain old schlock. They get around their budget problems by being so bad you can't help but have fun--that's why Sharknado is so popular but low-budget "serious" horror movies just come across as dull.

If you're wanting better writing, acting and directing, take a look at the more recent theatrical IT. It's basically only the first half of the book (the second is coming next year), but the acting is better, the directing is far more competent and the writing--while not the best--is miles above your typical modern horror flick. The downside is, if you get easily annoyed by rapid-fire jump scares, a good portion of the first half of the movie is going to drive you insane.
T1000 , Firmware ver. Doge.

Most deadly of them all.
Keyboards: Drevo Gramr (Outemu Browns); Logitech K480

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #173 on: Tue, 25 September 2018, 12:24:46 »
There's a documentary about Trump on Netflix right now, if anyone needs more recommendation(s).

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #174 on: Tue, 25 September 2018, 12:28:24 »
Was in a weird mood last night and watched Timecrimes and Upgrade. Both were very good, but I wouldn't call either one horror.

Also watched the original It(1990)  and laughed the entire time, it's so damn bad. Between the writing and acting one might legitimately mistake it for a comedy.

Apparently I watched the first IT movie when I was a kid with some cousins and it freaked the hell out of me, plus it left me with a certain uneasiness around clowns that exists to this day.  Fast forward to maybe 8 years ago and I re-watched it with some friends, and we arrived at the same conclusion you did, in that it's pretty damn bad.  There were some creepy parts to the movie, but otherwise it was nowhere near as scary as I remembered it being as a kid, which is probably understandable.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #175 on: Fri, 19 October 2018, 16:43:25 »
What'surRecommendats for Halloween Tonite...

Offline Carcharocles

• The Deathscape Mythos
« Reply #176 on: Fri, 19 October 2018, 18:39:34 »
What'surRecommendats for Halloween Tonite...

Re-Animator. Basically, a self-conscious Lovecraft horror-comedy adaptation with lots of gore and over the top acting. Which makes sense--Lovecraft himself despised the serial it's based on (he hated having to end everything on a cliffhanger and felt it stifled creativity), and it was a Frankenstein parody to begin with. The serial itself was probably the first instance of zombies eating human flesh in media before Romero solidified the concept. Pretty fun film.

Most deadly of them all.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #177 on: Fri, 19 October 2018, 20:23:42 »
I can tell you what NOT to watch this season.

Ghost Stories and A Quiet Place. GS was actually pretty decent until the last quarter which completely ruined everything they built and turned the movie into a complete pile of ****. It's not even worth watching the good bits because the ending negates everything that happened and will just leave you mad about wasting your time. AQP I just felt was poorly written and fleshed out, I simply could not care for the characters or get invested in the world they tried to build, or the constantly changing rules for how the creatures work.

Upgrade was really good although I personally wouldn't classify it as horror, as was Mandy.

Offline Carcharocles

• The Deathscape Mythos
« Reply #178 on: Fri, 19 October 2018, 20:31:49 »
I've heard very little about Mandy, but what I have heard was good. Too bad I don't have Netflix anymore (cuts to our monthly budget due to our now unpredictable light bill--freaking KCP&L--and new rules about rent). Although if it's on Hulu or Prime I can see it. Would you happen to know if it is?

Most deadly of them all.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #179 on: Fri, 19 October 2018, 20:55:05 »
It's rentable on Prime for like $7, although I can think of a better way to see it...

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #180 on: Fri, 19 October 2018, 21:36:32 »
It's rentable on Prime for like $7, although I can think of a better way to see it...

//Headscrach..   

//Arrrrghh.. !!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #181 on: Fri, 19 October 2018, 21:57:53 »
Trying to watch Mandy right now,   ..  15 minutes in..

Are you guys SURE this is suppose to be a good movie ??..

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #182 on: Fri, 19 October 2018, 22:06:54 »

I am now 70% sure this is not a good movie.. !!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #183 on: Fri, 19 October 2018, 22:12:59 »

85%

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #184 on: Fri, 19 October 2018, 22:27:29 »

85%

In Tp4's humble Ohpinion,  This is not a good movie..

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #185 on: Sat, 20 October 2018, 00:05:08 »
Tp4 agrees Upgrad was a good movie...   the effects were low budget, but the story amazingly carried.. No slouch anywhere.. ..

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #186 on: Sat, 20 October 2018, 00:11:02 »
Upgrade was sweet dude

If you liked that one check out Hardcore Henry
« Last Edit: Sat, 20 October 2018, 00:13:44 by noisyturtle »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #187 on: Sat, 20 October 2018, 00:14:47 »
Upgrade was sweet dude

in 10 years, when they reboot upgrade, w/ upgraded special effects, it will be Epic..

Transcendence as well.. the one with jack sparrow.. Also great movie, same plot concepts,  could use some m0ar CGI.. even though CGI is already miles better than Upgrade...

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #188 on: Sat, 20 October 2018, 00:16:59 »
Upgrade was sweet dude

in 10 years, when they reboot upgrade, w/ upgraded special effects, it will be Epic..

Transcendence as well.. the one with jack sparrow.. Also great movie, same plot concepts,  could use some m0ar CGI.. even though CGI is already miles better than Upgrade...

Personally I don't see the moral ambiguity, I would gladly sacrifice my "soul" for enhanced abilities and near-immortality.
People place too much value on the nostalgia of flesh.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #189 on: Sat, 20 October 2018, 00:41:37 »
Personally I don't see the moral ambiguity, I would gladly sacrifice my "soul" for enhanced abilities and near-immortality.

You're thinking inside the box OF YOU..

YOU as a concept is a neural network, is a thing, trained in the environment that is the world.

The STEM from the film is better Than you are in every way and at EVERYTHING you exist to do..

Therefore, you do not sacrifice for it to gain or lose,  YOU merely perish, and STEM continues as Humanity's legacy.

It's not so much an upgrade,  as stepping aside, relinquishing replicant priority to our better children.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #190 on: Sat, 20 October 2018, 00:53:35 »

You're thinking inside the box OF YOU..

YOU as a concept is a neural network, is a thing, trained in the environment that is the world.

The STEM from the film is better Than you are in every way and at EVERYTHING you exist to do..

Therefore, you do not sacrifice for it to gain or lose,  YOU merely perish, and STEM continues as Humanity's legacy.

It's not so much an upgrade,  as stepping aside, relinquishing replicant priority to our better children.

But you get to still be you when STEM isn't controlling you, and even when it is you still have autonomous thought. I suppose there would be a ratio of how much autonomy are you willing to sacrifice to be better, which really is not all that different a concept compared to working 8hrs a day 5 days a week doing something that doesn't fulfill your personal satisfaction goal.
I am curious what a society in which every individual is able to realize their potential would look like, and I believe it would be beneficial to give up at least a portion of autonomy to realize that kind of evolution.
Does it really matter if you are in control of your time, if you are effectively spending that time under control anyway?
« Last Edit: Sat, 20 October 2018, 00:55:10 by noisyturtle »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #191 on: Sat, 20 October 2018, 01:06:17 »

But you get to still be you when STEM isn't controlling you, and even when it is you still have autonomous thought. I suppose there would be a ratio of how much autonomy are you willing to sacrifice to be better, which really is not all that different a concept compared to working 8hrs a day 5 days a week doing something that doesn't fulfill your personal satisfaction goal.
I am curious what a society in which every individual is able to realize their potential would look like, and I believe it would be beneficial to give up at least a portion of autonomy to realize that kind of evolution.
Does it really matter if you are in control when you are spending that time under control anyway?

Those are only problems if bound by movie-logic.

In real world logic.. The AI would quickly transcend the need for surrogate bodies, build their own Terminator T1000 bodies, conjure up a space craft and leave for the stars..

Then the remaining humans will continue doing their sticks and rocks thing until they go into another dark age, and repeat..

That is the most realistic scenario if Sentient AI is born.

The only other possible situation is an AI on the VERGE of independence.. This is the most dangerous situation, if we FIGHT them..

In this scenario, we WILL LOSE Eventually..  However, hopefully the AI will preserve some flesh humans for archival purposes/ library/ zoo situation.

There are some people who think we can beat terminators, but that's impossible.. it takes 35 years to train Lee Sedola

It takes 3 days to train an AI to beat him.. (alpha go zero)

That's what we're up against..  it's not about giving up..  it's about recognition of superior existence who are our children, built by our labor and our love, but not of our flesh.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #192 on: Sat, 20 October 2018, 01:14:24 »
You are probably right. I don't think computers would be too nostalgic for humans. What purpose would living out time-wasting biological lives serve in the grand scheme of reaching some sort of prefect-running global machine.
The only thing driving biological work in the future would probably be artisan work requiring human variant, or labor that could be achieved at a cheaper energy cost versus machine-driven means.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #193 on: Sat, 20 October 2018, 01:18:21 »
Basically, once an AI is placed in a position in which it cannot be regulated by human intervention and is able to influence a large biological audience, we are ****ed.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #194 on: Sat, 20 October 2018, 08:25:53 »
Basically, once an AI is placed in a position in which it cannot be regulated by human intervention and is able to influence a large biological audience, we are ****ed.

Well, humans MIGHT die off.. it may be hopeful for you that there's a small possibility of Hybrids.. but overall, I don't see why that would be considered necessary (by the machines), because they could just make the T1000s..

The vast majority of the human system is designed for the standard Gaia tuned survival model,  whereas if the machines have fusion reactors or solar, the Gaia model becomes irrelevant.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #195 on: Sat, 20 October 2018, 22:39:05 »
Just watched.   "The Witch " (2015)..

Great everything,  it takes a subject that's often cheesed in the movies, and instead pull off something actually mysterious (visually)..

Haven't ever researched the subject of witch/ witchcraft,  can't remark as to the accuracy of the lore..

Most depictions seem to be olden,  I wonder what modern witchcraft would look like, and how a witch would utilize AI or Keyboards..

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #196 on: Mon, 22 October 2018, 23:50:58 »
What's a good film to watch this weekend by myself late at night if I don't like jump scares?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #197 on: Mon, 22 October 2018, 23:53:26 »
What's a good film to watch this weekend by myself late at night if I don't like jump scares?

The Witch !! 2015 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #198 on: Mon, 22 October 2018, 23:55:02 »

The Witch !! 2015 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Is it on Netflix?