Author Topic: how do you fix chorded inputs?  (Read 3919 times)

Offline PickleTickle

how do you fix chorded inputs?
« on: Tue, 24 November 2020, 03:12:19 »
When I press multiple buttons at the same time, they come out one after each other instead of (basically) at the same time on my QMK firmware keyboard (melody 96).

e.g. I press "wasd" at the same time, i'll get w -> was -> wasd instead of just "wasd" immediately in games (tekken in this case)

There's a few names for this, like "chord splitting" but I can't really find a fix for it.

I had an ikbc one and a razer one which both don't have this issue and from what I've seen every QMK based keyboard has this issue so it's a firmware problem, not a hardware one.

Offline yui

Re: how do you fix chorded inputs?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 25 November 2020, 10:14:03 »
no matter how perfectly you thing you are hitting all those keys at the same time for the computer you took an eternity in between each, so that is the reason why it has an order to it, and when i try with aqua key test on my via/qmk doddle60 (STM32F072) and i do not see it having trouble with getting all the keys, but when i try on my yampad (ATMEGA32U4) it starts to slow down at 3 keys so it may be that your controller is slow
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline PickleTickle

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 25 November 2020, 20:43:44 »
Depends on what you mean by an eternity. I'm having issues with hitting timings of 1/60th of a second (just frame inputs) where I don't have this issue with other boards/controllers.

That said, the fact that you mentioned ther microcontroller you used is extremely helpful. I'm indeed using different ATMEGA32U4 boards that have this problem so it might just be the slow controller and not the firmware which is kinda unfortunate. Cheers for the reply

Offline yui

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 26 November 2020, 01:25:19 »
1/60th of a second is actually a very long time for you computer running at 3Ghz from quick napkin math it has time to do about 50000000 simple actions while that is happening so rather slow to it. as for microcontrolers i only have had experience with the 32U4 in very small projects and in my 6 key macro pad it had no issues registering them all but it was a very simple 1 layer and no RGB firmware the yampad on the other hand is quite a bit more complicated and i may have made mistakes when i programmed it, or my controller is a dud, i hope others could share their experience too.

Offline DefNotXB

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 18 October 2021, 09:44:41 »
I added #define QMK_KEYS_PER_SCAN 12 into the config file, and when I press QWER, I get QWER simultanously.

Offline yui

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 25 October 2021, 07:28:09 »
thanks for that update, rather useful to know