Author Topic: [IC] Warbler 60% Case (Design Updated)  (Read 16894 times)

Offline snevok

[IC] Warbler 60% Case (Design Updated)
« on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 11:30:09 »
The lack of high quality 60% cases has been bugging me lately, so I decided to go ahead and design my own dream case.  After a few weeks of designing, I have finally come up with a final design that I am comfortable with selling. 

IC Form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1XHW6nzsERJ-0SIVPPkmKQ2XFNYfk5UcAT2UjlfwCH20/edit

Each case will include the following parts:
 - Aluminum top plate
 - Aluminum base
 -  Steel plate
 - Brass weight
 - Screws for the plate and case
 - Rubber feet

PCB, switches, caps, LEDs, and everything else needed to finish the keyboard are NOT included.  This is only for the case.

Information and Specs:
 - Supports GH60 PCB.  GON NerD should also work.
 - Weight of the case with the brass weight is about 5 pounds
 - 6.6 degree angle
 - Front of the case is an inch high, rear is 1.5
 - Plate is mounted to the top frame
 - 3 different top frame options:  Standard 60%, HHKB, WKL
 - For 15 units, cost is estimated to be $350-400 (will go down with more orders)
 - Option to buy the case without the weight
 - Option to buy multiple plates and top cases

Renders of the case with caps:  http://imgur.com/a/1FEoi

Renders of each part of the case:  http://imgur.com/a/lwhTX

Wire frame drawing of each part of the case:  http://imgur.com/a/btwSY

Any feedback is greatly appreciated, and I'll do my best to answer any questions.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Updates: 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

#3 - 5/5/17

All the little details of the design are nearly finalized.  Prototypes will be made as soon as /u/ErectedLine is ready.  First will be a simple wooden prototype to make sure that there are no glaring mistakes, then once everything looks good, a metal prototype will be made.  I will be posting updates as we get to this step.

~ ~ ~

#2 - 5/2/17

Found some time tonight to come up with what I think is a very solid design compared to the last.  Decided to go back to basics for this one, and make the style as close as I could to the original, while also keeping the option for acrylic/metal inserts.  To do this, I sadly had to increase the height of the front to 0.85", but that height increase also brought a possible welcome advantage, an option for low cost flat acrylic/metal bottoms.  Also, On top of the KMAC-like bottom, I decided to once again add the option for the Hammer-like bottom (second image in album). 

So far, planned add on options for the case are as follows, in order of price increase. ~(add later)~

Low quality album:  http://imgur.com/a/nPdMQ

~ ~ ~

#1 - 4/28/17

Been pretty busy lately, but finally got some time to work on the second revision of the case.  I decided to add some acrylic inserts for underglow support, but if that isn't your thing, there might be an option for metal inserts instead of acrylic, or there might be an option for a clean case with no cutouts at all, but that is all TBD.  The front has been shortened to 0.75", and the angle has been increased to 7.5 degrees.  Feel free to give feedback on the new design, it's all greatly appreciated and will help more people be happy with the end result.

« Last Edit: Fri, 05 May 2017, 07:53:13 by snevok »

Offline LDobler

Re: [IC] Warbler 60% Case
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 13:02:03 »
Looks nice! Interested in the HHKB style case with weight :thumb:

Gesendet von meinem SM-G920F mit Tapatalk

Offline BlackInk

• "Manners maketh man"
    • TeamGSB
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 14:19:13 »
Beautiful case, interested in 60% case!
Will there be a brass plate?
Will zeal60 pcb fits in this case?
« Last Edit: Mon, 27 March 2017, 14:25:03 by soclose1993 »

Offline NotTheVacuum

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 14:55:48 »
For me, the overall height of the case looks a little on the high side, and I can't get by with winkeyless. I also thing the cut-out on the bottom being a different angle from the case top confuses the eye a bit.

I appreciate the clean design, though - doesn't look like a spaceship or the Jetsons' toaster or anything, which is a relief.

Offline snevok

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 15:48:19 »
For me, the overall height of the case looks a little on the high side, and I can't get by with winkeyless. I also thing the cut-out on the bottom being a different angle from the case top confuses the eye a bit.

I appreciate the clean design, though - doesn't look like a spaceship or the Jetsons' toaster or anything, which is a relief.

Yeah it's a big tall case.  It might not be for everyone, but I think it's pretty cool.  I didn't want it to be super over the top design wise, my goal was a clean case that didn't look toooo much like a brick. 

Beautiful case, interested in 60% case!
Will there be a brass plate?
Will zeal60 pcb fits in this case?

Brass plate will definitely be available if there's enough interest.  I've already gotten a few requests for it, so it looks like it might happen! 

Any board that has the same dimensions as the GH60 should fit, so the Zeal60 should work too.

Looks nice! Interested in the HHKB style case with weight :thumb:

Glad you like it!

Offline kiwi99

• that's a gnarly dookie
  • authentic church of halverson member
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 15:58:03 »
can you show how exactly your plate is meant to mount in the case? from the render angles you can't see it at all

Offline snevok

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 16:02:01 »
can you show how exactly your plate is meant to mount in the case? from the render angles you can't see it at all

http://i.imgur.com/Sapci2f.png

Hopefully that should give you a better idea.  The plate rests in a little groove and is screwed into the top frame.  That is then placed onto the bottom, which is secured by more screws.

Offline BlackInk

• "Manners maketh man"
    • TeamGSB
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 16:58:31 »
I also have mentioned about the brass weight should be able to see from the bottom of the case which means cut a whole through the case to show off the insert weight, do you think it looks better in that way?

Offline snevok

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 17:01:01 »
I also have mentioned about the brass weight should be able to see from the bottom of the case which means cut a whole through the case to show off the insert weight, do you think it looks better in that way?

A few people have requested that the weight be on the bottom of the case instead of the inside.  There wasn't really a reason for it to be on the inside, that's just the way I designed it.  I'll most likely end up changing it to the bottom of the case for the final design.

Offline TheNamesTy45

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 17:21:15 »
Great looking case. Would have to use this on an extremely special build.

Offline Unforgivable

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 20:32:18 »

A few people have requested that the weight be on the bottom of the case instead of the inside.  There wasn't really a reason for it to be on the inside, that's just the way I designed it.  I'll most likely end up changing it to the bottom of the case for the final design.

For starters, the board is fantastic looking. Please make all 3 versions. This is an instant buy for me.

I do have one selfish request...can Red and Gold be two of the colors you bring us along the basic ones? I just need a red HHKB to stop my searching! Gold is just a pretty bonus.

Also, can anyone tell me why the brass on the bottom is better than inside? Or is it only for the looks? I thought the brass inside would help against vibrations/cause deeper clacks, or was I wrong in assuming that? Honest question, I'm just curious.

Anyway, I'm in. Please just make it asap! Your other model with the simple case would look fantastic with the HHKB and Winkeyless tops too, as it looked like a better version of the FMJ cases!

Edit: Will little indents on the bottom be made for the Rubber feet? If not, is that possible? Also, any chance you'll be able to offer brass, polycarbonate and aluminum plates too? It's a bit much, but if possible it would be amazing!
« Last Edit: Mon, 27 March 2017, 20:43:47 by Unforgivable »

Offline snevok

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 20:55:37 »
Great looking case. Would have to use this on an extremely special build.

I feel honored haha, thanks!

For starters, the board is fantastic looking. Please make all 3 versions. This is an instant buy for me.

I do have one selfish request...can Red and Gold be two of the colors you bring us along the basic ones? I just need a red HHKB to stop my searching! Gold is just a pretty bonus.

Also, can anyone tell me why the brass on the bottom is better than inside? Or is it only for the looks? I thought the brass inside would help against vibrations/cause deeper clacks, or was I wrong in assuming that? Honest question, I'm just curious.

Anyway, I'm in. Please just make it asap! Your other model with the simple case would look fantastic with the HHKB and Winkeyless tops too, as it looked like a better version of the FMJ cases!

Edit: Will little indents on the bottom be made for the Rubber feet? If not, is that possible? Also, any chance you'll be able to offer brass, polycarbonate and aluminum plates too? It's a bit much, but if possible it would be amazing!

Answered a bunch of your questions in PM, but I'll rephrase them here so others can see. 

I'll do gold and red if possible, but for now I'm just going to focus on black, grey, and silver.  I will try for other colors, but those three are the only guaranteed.

I'm not really sure about the weight being on the outside vs the inside.  Most people probably want it on the outside for aesthetics, but I'm not sure if it has any difference other than that.

Are you talking about the simple open source drop in case I modeled for fun?  I might make that later, but for now, I'm focusing on getting this case ready to be made.

Indents for feet will definitely be added.  Also, brass/aluminum plates are definitely possible, but sure about polycarbonate though, it might be too thin.

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 28 March 2017, 00:46:01 »
I am really interested in this. I am not sure which I like more.. the HHKB or the WKL. Looking great!

Offline Hako

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 28 March 2017, 01:02:14 »
Very cool, but personally I think it would look better if the bottom of the slant was parallel to the top of  the case. Is there any chance that you could do this?

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 28 March 2017, 06:43:39 »
The sides of the case look too flat imo, with the cutout creating a strange overall shape.

With some minor changes this could be awesome tho! =)

Yas 62 top anyone?

Offline snevok

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 28 March 2017, 07:25:55 »
I am really interested in this. I am not sure which I like more.. the HHKB or the WKL. Looking great!

Glad you like it!

Very cool, but personally I think it would look better if the bottom of the slant was parallel to the top of  the case. Is there any chance that you could do this?

I could try messing around with the slant, I'll see how it looks parallel.

The sides of the case look too flat imo, with the cutout creating a strange overall shape.

With some minor changes this could be awesome tho! =)

Yas 62 top anyone?

A parallel cutout should help make the sides look less awkward, but there isn't much I can do about the blocky design, since that's just the style of the case.  Thanks for the support though!

Edit:  Also, not sure if the Yas62 top would be possible since there probably wouldn't be many orders for it.
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 March 2017, 14:54:58 by snevok »

Offline LDobler

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 28 March 2017, 07:27:27 »
When are you planning to run a GB for this? A rough estimation would be great so I can save up for it! :)

Offline snevok

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 28 March 2017, 08:07:40 »
When are you planning to run a GB for this? A rough estimation would be great so I can save up for it! :)

I'm not really sure when, but soon^tm.  I don't want the IC to be sitting around for 6 months waiting for something to happen, but I also don't want to rush anything.  I can't give you a set in stone date yet since I don't have one, so this is the best info I can give without being too vague haha.

Offline murkey

• murkey's alpaca farm
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 28 March 2017, 11:48:59 »
Very interested!

Offline BlackInk

• "Manners maketh man"
    • TeamGSB
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 28 March 2017, 13:15:33 »
I hope the GB will start with in the next 1-2 months

Offline snevok

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 28 March 2017, 21:04:41 »
I hope the GB will start with in the next 1-2 months

Hopefully it will!  Right now, I have a ton of schoolwork that takes priority over the keyboard, but as soon as my work starts to clear up a bit, it's full steam ahead.  First step will be finishing up the design itself, then it will be finding a quality manufacturer for a cheaper price than I was originally quoted for.

Offline snevok

« Reply #21 on: Sun, 02 April 2017, 13:49:47 »
Was messing around with the design of the base, does anybody have a preference?  They aren't super high quality pictures, but you should be able to get the idea.  If you don't like any of these choices, feel free to explain/draw what you think would look good!

Offline gnmar2723

« Reply #22 on: Sun, 02 April 2017, 14:00:49 »
I definitely think the plain side is the way to go.

Offline BlackInk

• "Manners maketh man"
    • TeamGSB
« Reply #23 on: Sun, 02 April 2017, 14:11:53 »
The first one looks the best because there are way too many 60% board looks like the second picture
P/s my wallet is ready
« Last Edit: Sun, 02 April 2017, 17:27:35 by soclose1993 »

Offline Zammux

« Reply #24 on: Sun, 02 April 2017, 14:25:43 »
I prefer the clean look of the plain side (2nd pic).

Offline nsmechkb

« Reply #25 on: Sun, 02 April 2017, 15:52:33 »
Was messing around with the design of the base, does anybody have a preference?  They aren't super high quality pictures, but you should be able to get the idea.  If you don't like any of these choices, feel free to explain/draw what you think would look good!

Show Image

What does it look like if you extend the back angle all the way to the back corner?

Offline snevok

« Reply #26 on: Sun, 02 April 2017, 16:32:54 »
The first one looks the best because there are way too many 60% board looks like the second picture
P/s my wallet is read

I agree with you haha.  The first one is my favorite, but I think the second one might give it a run for its money..  We'll see what I end up going with in the long run, but right now my vote is with the first one.

Show Image

What does it look like if you extend the back angle all the way to the back corner?

« Last Edit: Sun, 02 April 2017, 16:35:01 by snevok »

Offline BlackInk

• "Manners maketh man"
    • TeamGSB
« Reply #27 on: Sun, 02 April 2017, 17:29:48 »
P/s my wallet is read

I agree with you haha.  The first one is my favorite, but I think the second one might give it a run for its money..  We'll see what I end up going with in the long run, but right now my vote is with the first one.

Show Image

Show Image

Yea like he said the in the begining of the topic, he wants something unique that from his own ideas not following the others

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #28 on: Sun, 02 April 2017, 17:38:44 »
I would highly recommend that you make the front of the case 20mm height as an absolute maximum. Trust me - you do not want an inch height at the front. I've been there and it is not comfortable.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline snevok

« Reply #29 on: Sun, 02 April 2017, 18:09:46 »
I would highly recommend that you make the front of the case 20mm height as an absolute maximum. Trust me - you do not want an inch height at the front. I've been there and it is not comfortable.

Working on redoing the design as soon as I get some time.  I plan on keeping the general design the same, but changing some things around and adding some extra features (shorter, bigger weight, underglow, thicker plate, etc.)

Offline snevok

« Reply #30 on: Sun, 02 April 2017, 18:13:44 »
P/s my wallet is read

Show Image

Show Image

Yea like he said the in the begining of the topic, he wants something unique that from his own ideas not following the others

I'm perfectly happy taking suggestions!  One person can't come up with everything on their own, so the more ideas the better.  My goal is to just make this case unique enough to where it's not just a brick, but still subtle so it blends in with its surroundings and doesn't stand out too much.

Offline trexous

• ~.~
« Reply #31 on: Sun, 02 April 2017, 19:57:59 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

first design please, too many cases with the second design and it just looks "generic" imo

Offline Unforgivable

« Reply #32 on: Sun, 02 April 2017, 21:31:59 »
P/s my wallet is read

Show Image

Show Image

Ooooohhh! The second one is nice!

Offline Unforgivable

« Reply #33 on: Sun, 02 April 2017, 21:33:21 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

first design please, too many cases with the second design and it just looks "generic" imo

Wait, this one is nice too.  :'(

I'm too indecisive.

Offline marre259

« Reply #34 on: Sun, 02 April 2017, 21:56:25 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

If you need to go with a cutout I'd prefer the first one, otherwise I'm indifferent between first and second

Offline snevok

« Reply #35 on: Sun, 02 April 2017, 22:02:21 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Wait, this one is nice too.  :'(

I'm too indecisive.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

If you need to go with a cutout I'd prefer the first one, otherwise I'm indifferent between first and second

I'll most likely end up going with the first design (or something similar).  The second design, even though it's clean, is pretty generic.  The little cutout on the side just adds some pizzazz.
« Last Edit: Sun, 02 April 2017, 22:46:39 by snevok »

Offline mech0nly

[IC] Warbler 60% Case
« Reply #36 on: Sun, 02 April 2017, 23:56:38 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

I prefer the second one, because it look like duck poker/mini lol
I'm interested, but my wallet needs regeneration right now. So 1-2 months later is good :)
« Last Edit: Mon, 03 April 2017, 00:04:40 by mech0nly »
356CL DGE | 356mini | 360C | G81-3000SAT | G81-3000SAU | G81-3077SAU | ESA-3000-HASRO | G80-3000LPCXY-2 | G80-3485LWNUS-2 | 55g HHKB

Offline Hako

« Reply #37 on: Mon, 03 April 2017, 23:45:36 »
P/s my wallet is read

Show Image

Show Image

I love this design, although the first option is great too.

Offline BlackInk

• "Manners maketh man"
    • TeamGSB
« Reply #38 on: Thu, 06 April 2017, 17:28:05 »
Will it looks something like this with top aluminum case add on? That would be sick
« Last Edit: Thu, 06 April 2017, 17:49:27 by BlackInk »

Offline snevok

« Reply #39 on: Thu, 06 April 2017, 19:29:58 »
Will it looks something like this with top aluminum case add on? That would be sick
Show Image

Hopefully something like that, yeah. I took inspiration from the KMAC Happy, as well as the Hammer, and you can probably see the inspiration reflected in the design.

Offline YH YOON

« Reply #40 on: Sat, 08 April 2017, 05:51:04 »
I hope the GB will start

wanna winkeyless top !!

Offline ChitownM2

« Reply #41 on: Sat, 08 April 2017, 09:24:39 »
My vote is for the first design out of the 4.

Definitely a gorgeous and unique design. Hopefully the wallet is ready when this actually his GB.

Offline child

« Reply #42 on: Sat, 08 April 2017, 14:50:52 »
I agree with folks saying cutout makes it somewhat unique and that without it the case would be quite generic.

However, I'd really prefer the metal visible in the cutout. It's difficult for me to explain, but on your initial renders the side of case looked as if it had a hole, not just a cutout, because there was only shadow visible. I know it is just a render, but I'd prefer the cutout to be rather shallow.

I also think the case should not be too high and one inch definitely seems too much for the front.

Correct me if I'm wrong - this case only works with bundled plates, right? I'd love if it worked with YAS62 that I ordered...

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #43 on: Sat, 08 April 2017, 14:56:38 »
Show Image

This is how I saw it when I saw the renders. I even texted a friend and told him it is a mix between the Hammer case and Xondat's X60.

Offline snevok

« Reply #44 on: Sat, 08 April 2017, 15:13:35 »
I agree with folks saying cutout makes it somewhat unique and that without it the case would be quite generic.

However, I'd really prefer the metal visible in the cutout. It's difficult for me to explain, but on your initial renders the side of case looked as if it had a hole, not just a cutout, because there was only shadow visible. I know it is just a render, but I'd prefer the cutout to be rather shallow.

I also think the case should not be too high and one inch definitely seems too much for the front.

Correct me if I'm wrong - this case only works with bundled plates, right? I'd love if it worked with YAS62 that I ordered...

Don't worry, the case is still being revised.  One inch is too thick, my goal is to bring it down to .75".  The cutout should be visible from the side.  It's pretty shallow, but my rendering is still not very good, so it made them look all black for some reason.  The case will only work with the bundled plate though :(

Offline BlackInk

• "Manners maketh man"
    • TeamGSB
« Reply #45 on: Sat, 08 April 2017, 16:33:57 »

Don't worry, the case is still being revised.  One inch is too thick, my goal is to bring it down to .75".  The cutout should be visible from the side.  It's pretty shallow, but my rendering is still not very good, so it made them look all black for some reason.  The case will only work with the bundled plate though :(
Some people like thick in the front tho, do you know how tall is fjell? That case looks pretty tall in the front too and please combine xondat + hammer into this case, that would be awsome

Offline Oatburner

« Reply #46 on: Sun, 09 April 2017, 10:53:17 »
I would be interested in a WKL case. Definitely beats my current method of using PMK blockers.

Plain side would be best imo.

Offline snevok

« Reply #47 on: Sun, 09 April 2017, 21:04:05 »

Some people like thick in the front tho, do you know how tall is fjell? That case looks pretty tall in the front too and please combine xondat + hammer into this case, that would be awsome

No idea how tall the FJELL is.  It looks pretty tall, but I still feel like .75" would be a lot more comfortable than 1".  Combining KMAC and Hammer is the goal of this case.  I don't want to keep the sides to simple because then it'll just be too boring IMO. 

I would be interested in a WKL case. Definitely beats my current method of using PMK blockers.

Plain side does look clean, but it's too generic for me.  Right now, it seem like there's a clean division between clean side and Hammer side.  Ideally, there would be the option for two different bottom designs, but I'm not sure if that's possible.  If only one design is possible, it will be the Hammer design.  More details on what is possible in manufacturing will come later.

Offline BlackInk

• "Manners maketh man"
    • TeamGSB
« Reply #48 on: Sun, 09 April 2017, 21:51:23 »

No idea how tall the FJELL is.  It looks pretty tall, but I still feel like .75" would be a lot more comfortable than 1".  Combining KMAC and Hammer is the goal of this case.  I don't want to keep the sides to simple because then it'll just be too boring IMO. 

Plain side does look clean, but it's too generic for me.  Right now, it seem like there's a clean division between clean side and Hammer side.  Ideally, there would be the option for two different bottom designs, but I'm not sure if that's possible.  If only one design is possible, it will be the Hammer design.  More details on what is possible in manufacturing will come later.
Sound perfect to me, Hammer is my dream case....
Hope this IC will become GB soon

Offline Unforgivable

« Reply #49 on: Mon, 17 April 2017, 17:00:11 »
I'M KEEPING THE DREAM ALIVE!  :'(

Edit: snevok #1!