Author Topic: [IC] Laser GMK - 80's & Cyberpunk (LIVE)  (Read 261292 times)

Offline futurecrime

• Get Zooted
Re: [IC] Laser GMK - An 80's vs Cyberpunk Project
« Reply #200 on: Tue, 02 May 2017, 10:45:49 »
I for one refuse to buy a set unless it has innovative thread formatting in the IC.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #201 on: Tue, 02 May 2017, 10:47:29 »
I for one refuse to buy a set unless it has innovative thread formatting in the IC.

Yeah same. The thread formatting was a bit of fun ;)

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #202 on: Tue, 02 May 2017, 11:12:32 »

Offline Oblotzky

• Backspace is for people that make mistakes.
« Reply #203 on: Tue, 02 May 2017, 11:33:50 »
Wow, he even used the same font!

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #204 on: Tue, 02 May 2017, 11:50:38 »
That has to be the strangest "gotcha" attempt I've ever seen.

Offline thad

« Reply #205 on: Tue, 02 May 2017, 12:11:20 »
Back on topic now. If I get the Hiragana alphas I can ensure my wife and kids can't use the computer. That's a win in my book.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

« Reply #206 on: Tue, 02 May 2017, 12:19:08 »
Back on topic now. If I get the Hiragana alphas I can ensure my wife and kids can't use the computer. That's a win in my book.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Put Hiragana alphas on and then change the layout to dvorak.  Watch from a distance and laugh at the struggle.

Offline Kev

« Reply #207 on: Tue, 02 May 2017, 12:24:51 »
Looks awesome!
It's been mentioned before elsewhere but upside down crosses as novelties would be awesome (maybe for Win/Super Keys!) and tie in with the theme (see attached images).
Also was a fan of the original "Kanye" glasses novelties, don't listen to the haters they fit the theme and looked awesome!

No love? :( At least it would be an easy mold!

Offline MiTo

• Banned
  • にんたい
« Reply #208 on: Tue, 02 May 2017, 12:31:38 »

To the user Xondat, I'm going to suggest that you go focus on your own work instead of trying derail what others do. You are constantly seen criticizing and making fun of others in such an childish way. I feel sorry for you. One of the most toxic users I ever interacted with and I'm happy that you're not involved in my projects. Do I know you? I don't know you. I don't need to know you and I don't want to. I go out there, interact with this amazing community, design my stuff and leave it at that. You see other people's work and feel insecure or something.

You speak like anyone would care about what you have to say about this banner or format and nobody does. Zambumon was responsible for the rendering of my previous keycap set designs and he's possibly an extension of the left side of my brain. A dude that I love and one of the best friends that I met during my journey. This is the kind of people I care about - Alexey, Carlos and others. People whose names are visible in the Acknowledgments section of OP.

I won't waste my time addressing to further accusations, hate and stupidity as I know I do things the right way. My brain does not process negativity and I will remain focused on the good. 

Offline thad

« Reply #209 on: Tue, 02 May 2017, 12:48:16 »
Show Image

To the user Xondat, I'm going to suggest that you go focus on your own work instead of trying derail what others do. You are constantly seen criticizing and making fun of others in such an childish way. I feel sorry for you. One of the most toxic users I ever interacted with and I'm happy that you're not involved in my projects. Do I know you? I don't know you. I don't need to know you and I don't want to. I go out there, interact with this amazing community, design my stuff and leave it at that. You see other people's work and feel insecure or something.

You speak like anyone would care about what you have to say about this banner or format and nobody does. Zambumon was responsible for the rendering of my previous keycap set designs and he's possibly an extension of the left side of my brain. A dude that I love and one of the best friends that I met during my journey. This is the kind of people I care about - Alexey, Carlos and others. People whose names are visible in the Acknowledgments section of OP.

I won't waste my time addressing to further accusations, hate and stupidity as I know I do things the right way. My brain does not process negativity and I will remain focused on the good.

Offline MiTo

• Banned
  • にんたい
« Reply #210 on: Tue, 02 May 2017, 12:49:17 »
I'm going to bump this "older" comment, because I think it's becoming increasingly relevant. I'm curious how the contrasting color will look together considering they are so vibrant. Manufacturer samples would be very telling for anyone on the fence.

The cyan and the pink are not going to look like that. They are not neon colors, they don't glow. This is not going to look like the renders, I guarantee it.

Yeah I would definitely worry about the contrast. I bought the Uniq0rn modifiers and aside from the Cyan on Purple they did not look good, very fuzzy.

I apologize for missing this discussion, I read the replies but forgot to elaborate. All of the colors you see on the keycap set were selected together with GMK. We spent about 3 months picking viable tones and trimmed down to the Pantone you can see. The official colors were directly implemented in the renders via engine, as it has the Pantone official library implemented to it - you can trust that the colors you see on the renders have a considerable degree of accuracy. Sampling conversations already took place and I expect to see something physically in a couple weeks. You can be sure that the contrast will be good and that I will use my best judgement to make sure you'll have a well done keycap set (in case you join the GB). Like I previously said, I'm making sure this whole project has a degree of quality - from IC format to packaging, etc. I apologize for not answering sooner, please let me know if what I said makes sense or not.

Looks awesome!
It's been mentioned before elsewhere but upside down crosses as novelties would be awesome (maybe for Win/Super Keys!) and tie in with the theme (see attached images).
Also was a fan of the original "Kanye" glasses novelties, don't listen to the haters they fit the theme and looked awesome!

No love? :( At least it would be an easy mold!

My first contact with the Turbokiller things was via Oblotzky, who sent me a song the other day. I joked that it was "satanpunk" and I'm sort of impressed that other people know their songs! Well, I think the upside down cross doesn't fit the theme very well as it has nothing to do with electronics, nostalgia or dystopia but it's a cool suggestion I guess. Maybe I'm wrong?

Regarding the shades suggestion, some people dislike the slatted shades and it seems that the majority prefer the Ray Ban so I think it's better to keep it. To be honest I enjoy both of the designs but the shades takes the cake because of Miami Vice and that awesome theme music... I freakin love it.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #211 on: Tue, 02 May 2017, 12:59:02 »
One of the most toxic users I ever interacted with and I'm happy that you're not involved in my projects. Do I know you? I don't know you. I don't need to know you and I don't want to.

Huh? We used to chat on Skype back in 2015 when I first joined the community. I guess we both grew toxic if we look at your post history too. Oh well. No derailment meant, only passing information on.

Offline MiTo

• Banned
  • にんたい
« Reply #212 on: Tue, 02 May 2017, 13:16:21 »
I will lock the topic for a while so the off-topic conversations get cleared - please stand by.

Offline MiTo

• Banned
  • にんたい
« Reply #213 on: Thu, 04 May 2017, 17:15:52 »
Moving forward, I'll be providing a list of things that I'm currently working on every once in a while, to keep you guys updated. Here's the first one:

• Verifying the possibility of inclusion of a 2u wide Shift keycap for the XD60 layout;
  • Checking if we can manufacture our version of the Laughing Man badge without injection issues:
  • Rendering the 96 layout;
  • Adjusting the row of the ISO 1u |\ keycap present on the Base Kit;
  • Other cool stuff, etc.

We are going to have stickers and illustrations related to the short story, that's for sure. But I had an idea the other day about stickers that I'm excited about and I think you'll enjoy it too. Some JDM vs Laser stuff. Obviously the content of the stickers would be keyboard related, but I'd like to make some automotive crossovers if possible. I'm speaking with users who have interest in this so we can create some prototypes and sketches. If you enjoy the idea, feel free to contribute with some designs as well!

For those who are interested in the Hiragana/Gaijin kit, you can always check the results on the fly -  our sample size is expanding everyday and I think the poll has a relevant amount of people participating at this point. So far, the preference has been obvious but it will remain running, so we can keep checking the results and improving the kit!

Offline e_l_tang

« Reply #214 on: Thu, 04 May 2017, 17:24:12 »
Moving forward, I'll be providing a list of things that I'm currently working on every once in a while, to keep you guys updated. Here's the first one:

• Verifying the possibility of inclusion of a 2u wide Shift keycap for the XD60 layout;
  • Checking if we can manufacture our version of the Laughing Man badge without injection issues:
  • Other cool stuff, etc.

We are going to have stickers and illustrations related to the short story, that's for sure. But I had an idea the other day about stickers that I'm excited about and I think you'll enjoy it too. Some JDM vs Laser stuff. Obviously the content of the stickers would be keyboard related, but I'd like to make some automotive crossovers if possible. I'm speaking with users who have interest in this so we can create some prototypes and sketches. If you enjoy the idea, feel free to contribute with some designs as well!

For those who are interested in the Hiragana/Gaijin kit, you can always check the results on the fly -  our sample size is expanding everyday and I think the poll has a relevant amount of people participating at this point. So far, the preference has been obvious but it will remain running, so we can keep checking the results and improving the kit!

If you think that the poll has slowed down you should start a new one with only Gaijin and Hiragana as options, like in a runoff election. Given those two choices only it's quite possible that more people prefer Hiragana.
« Last Edit: Thu, 04 May 2017, 17:25:44 by e_l_tang »

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #215 on: Thu, 04 May 2017, 17:49:19 »
At the risk of sounding like a bit of a broken record/biased here, I think it is fairly likely that people who are unsure of whether or not they'll be purchasing the Japanese alphas kit (no matter the version) are mostly voting for Gaijin as it is the most accessible; "if this version happens then maybe I can buy it" kind of thing - I wonder how sales would look like in actuality, I'd say the more "hardcore" enthusiasts who are for sure buying the JP kits are more likely to sway toward mono than secondaries but maybe I'm just biased as said.

Offline e_l_tang

« Reply #216 on: Thu, 04 May 2017, 18:32:42 »
At the risk of sounding like a bit of a broken record/biased here, I think it is fairly likely that people who are unsure of whether or not they'll be purchasing the Japanese alphas kit (no matter the version) are mostly voting for Gaijin as it is the most accessible; "if this version happens then maybe I can buy it" kind of thing - I wonder how sales would look like in actuality, I'd say the more "hardcore" enthusiasts who are for sure buying the JP kits are more likely to sway toward mono than secondaries but maybe I'm just biased as said.
At the same time, Hiragana will appeal more to all users of all layouts other than US QWERTY. This cohort includes not only users of alternative layouts, but also users of layouts which are standard in countries other than the US. This represents not a small number of people.

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #217 on: Thu, 04 May 2017, 18:42:31 »
At the same time, Hiragana will appeal more to all users of all layouts other than US QWERTY. This cohort includes not only users of alternative layouts, but also users of layouts which are standard in countries other than the US. This represents not a small number of people.

Absolutely, though I believe most of those people (ie international) will most likely rather be into the NORDE/UK/int kit seeing as those are super rare when it comes to GMK so it potentially wanes the amount of interest the JP kit would get from those enthusiasts.

Offline odd13

« Reply #218 on: Thu, 04 May 2017, 18:44:52 »

• Other cool stuff, etc.

Big +1 for the XD60 support.

It's good to see that the upcoming tasks. Wish we could help somehow?

Offline swangful

« Reply #219 on: Thu, 04 May 2017, 19:07:58 »
80s JDM. I love it. I grew up on cars so the more auto related the better :D
I used to have a s13, now driving an AP2

Some 240z love with the datsun logo would be cool, colors will be slightly off of course but the text itself is more than enough.

Or maybe some Type R or Type S key lol

Offline isunktheship

• AJCVisual
« Reply #220 on: Thu, 04 May 2017, 19:25:13 »
I like the Delorean best, but this was also iconic:

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #221 on: Thu, 04 May 2017, 19:29:39 »
You appear to be missing the following keys; would be nice to see at least the scoops & Ctrl/Alt added in.
  • R3 F Scoop
  • R3 J Scoop
  • R3 5 Numpad Scoop
  • R4 1u Ctrl
  • R4 1u Alt
  • R4 1u Delete
  • R4 1u Pg Dn
  • R3 1u Home
  • R3 1.75u Stepped Control
  • R4 1.25u Menu

Spacebar Kits should have the following keys to cover all known layouts (not including 40%):
  • 1u
  • 1.25u
  • 1.75u
  • 2u
  • 2.25u
  • 2.75u
  • 3u
  • 3u
  • 3.25u
  • 6.25u
  • 6.5u
  • 6.75u

Hopefully this helps you cover all the boards that a complete keyset should. If you want to know which keyboard requires the missing keys, PM me and we can talk about it!
« Last Edit: Thu, 04 May 2017, 19:34:56 by xondat »

Offline MiTo

• Banned
  • にんたい
« Reply #222 on: Thu, 04 May 2017, 19:44:30 »
As for the @Vigrith and @Tang ideas, those are valid points and I noticed how the Hiragana is slightly over 50%, which means the other two options combined are around 49% approval. The idea to create another poll soon with Latin + Subs vs Monolegends would be very beneficial cause as we can clearly see the Hybrid version is the least preferred, and since a person can only (theoretically) vote once, maybe a Hybrid voter could prefer the Hiragana as well in case it wins. I will let the poll keep running for now and then we make another 1v1 poll later, with only Gaijin vs Hiragana.

As a side note, just for those who are wondering, there are many logistical benefits if we offer Hiragana only. One of them being that at least aesthetically, the Hiragana Kit could replace international and colevrak layouts since the kanas aren't exactly meaningful to what you're actually typing unless you speak Japanese. What I'm trying to say is that it could be a nice ghetto visual replacement for the Euro Kit and Colevrak Kit. It's also a good combination for icon only modifiers since it looks very clean to begin with. Just some things to think about.

Some 240z love with the datsun logo would be cool, colors will be slightly off of course but the text itself is more than enough.
Show Image

That's pretty nice dude, I'm slightly biased to Nissans and Mazdas! I think the DATSUN logo can be reassembled with a very cool sticker based on the theme we've got going on.

I'd appreciate if we could gather some more feedback about the keycaps offered in the Base Kit. Other things that I'd like you guys to voice your opinions about are -

• Convex keycaps on the ErgoPlanck kit
  • Interest in scoops vs bar homing keys
  • Interest in a Colevrak kit

Any kind of feedback for things we could implement or improve is always appreciated. For example, when I have some time I will be tinkering with stuff like GATISTOTLE LOGIC or maybe LATE NIGHT CLACKS combined with aesthetics designs for the crews slaps. To help you guys visualize what I'm talking about, check these accounts from Instagram and their sticker style. This is a common sticker style for japanese drifting crews and many other subcultures (at least from what I've seen). I believe there's great potential for us to develop things along these lines celebrating the Laser style + keyboard cult.

https://instagram.com/p/BFO2CaNw6eW/

https://instagram.com/p/BFxArLHEsel/

https://instagram.com/p/BGoeM2ow6Xc/

https://instagram.com/p/BGG-Fq4w6et/

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #223 on: Thu, 04 May 2017, 20:08:17 »
It's also a good combination for icon only modifiers since it looks very clean to begin with. Just some things to think about.

I'd be very happy to see a Hiragana mono + icon mod render, that's going to look incredible. On a related note, did you read my Slack message regarding the icon mods? I figured maybe you could get in contact with T0mb3ry for potentially using his Yuri icon mod moulds since GMK will be getting those done if the kit seems appropriate interest (which I'm fairly certain it will). Could be something that potentially helps both sets!

You appear to be missing the following keys; would be nice to see at least the scoops & Ctrl/Alt added in.

Serious question, do people actually like scoops? They feel weird to me, if anything all keys where fingers rest in homing row should be scooped else it just feels weird - I've not used any sort of homing in years, are they actually useful for anyone that touch types? I taught myself to do that when I was like 10 years old so I don't personally see a point any more, very good typists I've been in contact with (mainly Sean Wrona) advocate "freestyle" typing, not only whilst clacking away but also for where your fingers rest when not; I rest mine on shift awd + kl enter and I type pretty fast, friends of mine who are even faster also have weird homing spots.

Either way this is hardly relevant and I apologise for the slight hijack, just that the past few days I've seen people asking for homing in a few discussions and I figured I'd ask someone who wants them why they're keen on them.

Offline odd13

« Reply #224 on: Thu, 04 May 2017, 20:19:54 »

I'd appreciate if we could gather some more feedback about the keycaps offered in the Base Kit. Other things that I'd like you guys to voice your opinions about are -

I am very new to all this though I am learning fast. Scoop looks like it would be pleasant? I can't really comment as I have no experience with them.
As for the plank kit, I am unable to purchase a plank as yet... though in the future I will. This means I will miss out on these buys :(. Unless they are a good price? But judging by the efforts and clear quality and skill you have, the price on these sets wont be cheap.

I love that the base kit has all keys required for a 60%, well seems to form here. I have noticed that some buys I get a little lost in trying to piece together what I need if I was to transfer these keys from my current XD60 to a TKL board in the future. I can see that with the base kit I will be able too do that. Thanks!! Less struggle for me.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #225 on: Thu, 04 May 2017, 20:21:41 »

Serious question, do people actually like scoops? They feel weird to me, if anything all keys where fingers rest in homing row should be scooped else it just feels weird - I've not used any sort of homing in years, are they actually useful for anyone that touch types? I taught myself to do that when I was like 10 years old so I don't personally see a point any more, very good typists I've been in contact with (mainly Sean Wrona) advocate "freestyle" typing, not only whilst clacking away but also for where your fingers rest when not; I rest mine on shift awd + kl enter and I type pretty fast, friends of mine who are even faster also have weird homing spots.

Either way this is hardly relevant and I apologise for the slight hijack, just that the past few days I've seen people asking for homing in a few discussions and I figured I'd ask someone who wants them why they're keen on them.

MiTo could probably address this better than me but I'll give it my shot.

Some people do not like the interrupting feeling of the bars. As with all the other caps, scoops offer a 1 face surface. It does take a bit to get used to them, but after a while you can locate the homing row quite easily. I personally think they look better, but I'll always prefer bars for functionality.

That's what I think - again, I'd love to hear MiTo's thoughts as he's designed so many keysets.

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #226 on: Thu, 04 May 2017, 20:41:08 »
Yee, I appreciate the reply, I personally prefer nothing at all as I feel a uniform experience is more pleasant on the fingers - I can see why they'd both be helpful for locating home row however for those who do not touch type or who learnt to type using the specified "correct" way. As I have no need for it at all having neither is fantastic, maybe I'm in the minority but I'd assume most people whose hobby is you know, keyboards, would be touch typist skilled enough to not need guidance for getting back to home row.

I'm all for having them added of course, as said I was just honestly curious as for why people like them.

Offline e_l_tang

« Reply #227 on: Thu, 04 May 2017, 20:41:28 »
As for the @Vigrith and @Tang ideas, those are valid points and I noticed how the Hiragana is slightly over 50%, which means the other two options combined are around 49% approval. The idea to create another poll soon with Latin + Subs vs Monolegends would be very beneficial cause as we can clearly see the Hybrid version is the least preferred, and since a person can only (theoretically) vote once, maybe a Hybrid voter could prefer the Hiragana as well in case it wins. I will let the poll keep running for now and then we make another 1v1 poll later, with only Gaijin vs Hiragana.

As a side note, just for those who are wondering, there are many logistical benefits if we offer Hiragana only. One of them being that at least aesthetically, the Hiragana Kit could replace international and colevrak layouts since the kanas aren't exactly meaningful to what you're actually typing unless you speak Japanese. What I'm trying to say is that it could be a nice ghetto visual replacement for the Euro Kit and Colevrak Kit. It's also a good combination for icon only modifiers since it looks very clean to begin with. Just some things to think about.

Show Image

That's pretty nice dude, I'm slightly biased to Nissans and Mazdas! I think the DATSUN logo can be reassembled with a very cool sticker based on the theme we've got going on.

Any kind of feedback for things we could implement or improve is always appreciated. For example, when I have some time I will be tinkering with stuff like GATISTOTLE LOGIC or maybe LATE NIGHT CLACKS combined with aesthetics designs for the crews slaps. To help you guys visualize what I'm talking about, check these accounts from Instagram and their sticker style. This is a common sticker style for japanese drifting crews and many other subcultures (at least from what I've seen). I believe there's great potential for us to develop things along these lines celebrating the Laser style + keyboard cult.

https://instagram.com/p/BFO2CaNw6eW/

https://instagram.com/p/BFxArLHEsel/

https://instagram.com/p/BGoeM2ow6Xc/

https://instagram.com/p/BGG-Fq4w6et/
If you can make the changes to the ErgoPlanck kit we discussed earlier I can verify if they are correct. A Colevrak kit would be great.
« Last Edit: Thu, 04 May 2017, 22:18:44 by e_l_tang »

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #228 on: Thu, 04 May 2017, 20:44:41 »
  • R3 F Scoop
  • R3 J Scoop
  • R3 5 Numpad Scoop
  • R4 1u Ctrl
  • R4 1u Alt
  • R4 1u Delete
  • R4 1u Pg Dn
  • R3 1u Home
  • R3 1.75u Stepped Control
  • R4 1.25u Menu

Spacebar Kits should have the following keys to cover all known layouts (not including 40%):
  • 1u
  • 1.25u
  • 1.75u
  • 2u
  • 2.25u
  • 2.75u
  • 3u
  • 3u
  • 3.25u
  • 6.25u
  • 6.5u
  • 6.75u

Hopefully this helps you cover all the boards that a complete keyset should. If you want to know which keyboard requires the missing keys, PM me and we can talk about it!

please do not remove 2u and 2.75u spacebar as they are needed for common VE.A layout

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #229 on: Thu, 04 May 2017, 20:45:43 »
please do not remove 2u and 2.75u spacebar as they are needed for common VE.A layout

Ah my bad, I should've specified that marked out sizes are already in MiTo's kit.

Offline futurecrime

• Get Zooted
« Reply #230 on: Thu, 04 May 2017, 21:43:40 »

I was gonna say I'd probably go for Hiragana if there's no Colemak option for the exact reason you've posted. The fact is, I'd buy both if they're available. One extra thing I'd love to see in a Colevrak kit is a backspace key to replace capslock.

Offline ipreferpie

« Reply #231 on: Thu, 04 May 2017, 21:49:23 »

I was gonna say I'd probably go for Hiragana if there's no Colemak option for the exact reason you've posted. The fact is, I'd buy both if they're available. One extra thing I'd love to see in a Colevrak kit is a backspace key to replace capslock.

I'm down for 2 Colevrak kits plus a Gaijin/Hiragana

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #232 on: Thu, 04 May 2017, 22:35:11 »

Show Image

Two separate thoughts:

1) As someone who has an absolute love for JDM Nissans and Datuns, this Datsun 240z novelty/sticker idea gets my 110% approval.

2) BIG +1 for the 2u space. That will come in handy for a few layouts.
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline ns90

« Reply #233 on: Thu, 04 May 2017, 22:46:38 »

Scoops for life.

Offline shower_king

• Pain is weakness leaving your body
« Reply #234 on: Thu, 04 May 2017, 22:53:08 »
It seems that GMK don't have a mould for 3U space bar currently. However, they could do 2u Shift.
Above is the things i have verified with GMK. You could please check again with GMK.

Offline digisax

« Reply #235 on: Fri, 05 May 2017, 00:34:49 »

I'm in for scoops, but bars wouldn't stop me from getting the set.

If Gaijin wins I'd be in for a Colevrak kit (especially if said kit was available in Gaijin) however if Hiragana wins I'd just get Hiragana.
niu mini - R2 T1s, MT3 Dev/TTY

Offline FearsomeCubedWarrior

« Reply #236 on: Fri, 05 May 2017, 02:05:51 »
What about Hosaka, Maas Biolabs and Tessier-Ashpool logos?

Offline ShishKabobJerry

« Reply #237 on: Fri, 05 May 2017, 07:24:07 »
Lol I liked what you called the Latin + Hiragana sublegends set. It's really hard to choose. I like the Hiragana for the aesthetics and it's less cluttered compared to Gaijin. More people are voting on the Gaijin set so far tho. We'll see where it goes.

Offline SL89

« Reply #238 on: Fri, 05 May 2017, 08:41:54 »
+1 Gaijin

Offline Ouhei

« Reply #239 on: Fri, 05 May 2017, 09:07:48 »
Love the idea for incorporating some of the JDM car culture! I will selfishly throw in a vote for some Suabaru love.

The 22b STI isn't from the 80's, but it's the most iconic earlier Subaru (early 90's): https://icdn-2.motor1.com/images/mgl/kmgJR/s1/1998-subaru-impreza-22b-sti.jpg
The Subaru logo: http://www.carlogos.org/logo/Subaru-logo-2001-2560x1440.png
STI: http://cartype.com/pics/104/small/sti_logo_1.jpg

I'm still heavily in favor of Gaijin since I use pretty standard layouts (about to build a 96 key which will be my most out there layout) and I don't like blanks and Hiragana only would basically be blanks. I'm no look/touch typing 98% of the time, but I just like having legends there for that other 2% and for when my wife uses my computer. I doubt it but I wonder if both would be popular enough to support both as kit options (assuming we were able to separate alphas from mods in the kits).

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #240 on: Fri, 05 May 2017, 09:19:57 »
Given GMK's price of $300 (last I heard) per 1u key I'd say offering both is highly unlikely to warrant the costs but you never know with these sets nowadays, more and more people get into the buys every day so maybe it's not even as far fetched as one would think - still, 13 grand per kit would most definitely be pushing it too hard in my mind.

Offline Ouhei

« Reply #241 on: Fri, 05 May 2017, 09:54:12 »
Given GMK's price of $300 (last I heard) per 1u key I'd say offering both is highly unlikely to warrant the costs but you never know with these sets nowadays, more and more people get into the buys every day so maybe it's not even as far fetched as one would think - still, 13 grand per kit would most definitely be pushing it too hard in my mind.
Yeah, I'm really fine either way, I like the normal latin alphas just fine and depending on how the kits break down I may stick with those. I'm in on this set either way, would just prefer a modifiers kit and then separate alpha options with Gaijin as an option personally.

Offline dubious

• 쏘쿨
« Reply #242 on: Fri, 05 May 2017, 13:24:41 »
I prefer bars over scoops, I can't find my home position with scoops.

always used bars, and I think scoops look like warped, melted keys. IMO

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #243 on: Fri, 05 May 2017, 13:49:03 »
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=76006.msg2416769#msg2416769

^ i agree with T0mb3ry on this one

scoops are the elegant, sleek option for homing keys

Offline Data

« Reply #244 on: Fri, 05 May 2017, 14:35:41 »
Bars are scrumtrillescent.
Nipples/nubs are divine.
Scoops are merely serviceable.

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #245 on: Fri, 05 May 2017, 15:02:22 »
bars are like training wheels for people learning to touch type

« Reply #246 on: Fri, 05 May 2017, 15:06:17 »

Hey now! Some of us like our training wheels!

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #247 on: Fri, 05 May 2017, 15:11:43 »

:)) honestly, i dont know why both aren't typically offered with custom sets these days. i have a preference, but i think this whole argument is just ridiculous rabble that comes up every time

« Reply #248 on: Fri, 05 May 2017, 15:22:02 »

:)) honestly, i dont know why both aren't typically offered with custom sets these days. i have a preference, but i think this whole argument is just ridiculous rabble that comes up every time

I feel like I see scoops and bars together a lot in GMK sets but maybe I'm just making that up.  Could be old habit but I do prefer the bars to scoops in cherry profile but I do really like the DSA scoops and use those on my daily driver.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #249 on: Fri, 05 May 2017, 15:24:46 »

That's exactly why I posted it :eek:

Shame about the other key suggestions which are going ignored.