Author Topic: [IC] Laser GMK - 80's & Cyberpunk (LIVE)  (Read 263259 times)

Offline digisax

Re: [IC] Laser GMK - An 80's vs Cyberpunk Project
« Reply #350 on: Sun, 14 May 2017, 22:55:35 »
Either kit will sell well I'm sure. The Hiragana set is pretty much Blanks anyways. All three kits are pretty much straight ANSI layouts, so adding 2/3 Hiragana keys for ISO and split backspace will level the compatibility.
Gaijin can be refined by removing the uppercase characters and leaving just the numbers to even it for most users if regional concerns matter to people.

A poll/questionnaire asking how much one will pay may help gauge a realistic price a user will pay for the kit. It'll likely range around 50-60+ for the kit. The Base is already about 130+ and novelties is in line with the Jap kit.

Wouldn't removing the uppercase characters form Gaijin pretty much leave you with the Hybrid set people overwhelmingly voted against? Or am I missing something?
niu mini - R2 T1s, MT3 Dev/TTY

Offline Owl-

« Reply #351 on: Sun, 14 May 2017, 23:07:39 »
Just uppercase from the number row. Punctuation characters, full stop etc. remains the same.

Offline Lazylewis

« Reply #352 on: Mon, 15 May 2017, 05:44:44 »
Last time I checked the poll gaijin was way in front. What a comeback. I'll be so pumped if hirigana wins.

Offline colbs

« Reply #353 on: Mon, 15 May 2017, 06:04:00 »
A poll/questionnaire asking how much one will pay may help gauge a realistic price a user will pay for the kit. It'll likely range around 50-60+ for the kit. The Base is already about 130+ and novelties is in line with the Jap kit.

How did you come up with this price range (50-60 for Japanese alphas)?  I expected the kit to be much more expensive than that...

The set needs 47 new molds (if I counted correctly) at $300 per mold, so $14100 for all the molds to be made.  Assuming an initial MoQ of 250, splitting the cost of the new molds comes out to 14100/250 = $56.40 per sale.  So, I was expecting the Japanese alpha kit to cost 50-60 more per set than a standard alpha set for which molds already exist.  This would put the cost of the Hiragana alphas right around what the base set costs.  Is this not how GMK sets pricing?  I will definitely buy the set either way, b/c I "need" it, but I would be thrilled if it was only $50-60.

Offline Owl-

« Reply #354 on: Mon, 15 May 2017, 06:31:17 »
How did you come up with this price range (50-60 for Japanese alphas)?  I expected the kit to be much more expensive than that...

The set needs 47 new molds (if I counted correctly) at $300 per mold, so $14100 for all the molds to be made.  Assuming an initial MoQ of 250, splitting the cost of the new molds comes out to 14100/250 = $56.40 per sale.  So, I was expecting the Japanese alpha kit to cost 50-60 more per set than a standard alpha set for which molds already exist.  This would put the cost of the Hiragana alphas right around what the base set costs.  Is this not how GMK sets pricing?  I will definitely buy the set either way, b/c I "need" it, but I would be thrilled if it was only $50-60.

I never said its set in stone to be 50-60. I said 50-60+(plus), meaning it can be more because the price isn't quite clear yet and the kit is possible to include 1-3 more keys for compatibility purposes. It is just a realistic price estimate with many things taken into account.

Offline colbs

« Reply #355 on: Mon, 15 May 2017, 06:37:46 »

I never said its set in stone to be 50-60. I said 50-60+(plus), meaning it can be more because the price isn't quite clear yet and the kit is possible to include 1-3 more keys for compatibility purposes. It is just a realistic price estimate with many things taken into account.

Thanks for the clarification.  Sorry for the misunderstanding.  Anyway, I suppose we should have a pretty good idea for what the Hiragana set costs once we see how much the Yuri cryllic set is, so it isn't worth worrying too much about.

Cheers

Offline thelaughingman

• Simultaneously the most starry-eyed idealist and t
« Reply #356 on: Mon, 15 May 2017, 09:17:54 »
Well... I guess the upside if Gaijin does not happen is I will save some money

Do you actually need the latin legends or do you just prefer the aesthetic of Gaijin? I'm genuinely curious because I know how much into this set you are, I have a hard time imagining anyone actually preferring the looks of Gaijin over Hiragana mono but that might just be me!

I am too, prefer Gaijin over Hiragana. This set, to me, screams cray-cray with the wild, flashy colours and boatloads of novelties. The mono legends (Latin or Hiragana) just seems lackluster to me somehow. The Gaijin with both legends will appear too crowded to many but I actually embrace it.

Offline colbs

« Reply #357 on: Mon, 15 May 2017, 09:21:34 »

Do you actually need the latin legends or do you just prefer the aesthetic of Gaijin? I'm genuinely curious because I know how much into this set you are, I have a hard time imagining anyone actually preferring the looks of Gaijin over Hiragana mono but that might just be me!

I am too, prefer Gaijin over Hiragana. This set, to me, screams cray-cray with the wild, flashy colours and boatloads of novelties. The mono legends (Latin or Hiragana) just seems lackluster to me somehow. The Gaijin with both legends will appear too crowded to many but I actually embrace it.

I think if I was putting the keys on a traditional layout (e.g. a TKL or 60% with the Japanese alphas combined with mods from the base set), I would prefer the Gaijin.  The mods have latin legends, and I think mono Hiragana alphas with latin legends on the mods would clash.

Conversely, for an ergodox or a planck where the modifiers are going to be blank, I am all about the mono Hiragana legends.

*edited for clarity
« Last Edit: Mon, 15 May 2017, 11:55:34 by colbs »

Offline Soup88

« Reply #358 on: Mon, 15 May 2017, 11:04:10 »

I also favour the busy look of Gaijin.  I think it fits the aesthetic of the set the best and it makes the mono legend sets seem disappointing in comparison.

Offline Owl-

« Reply #359 on: Mon, 15 May 2017, 11:56:36 »
I WANT HYBRID TO WIN!!! THE OPPOSITE OF EVERYONE!!! HAIL HYBRID!!!

Jokes aside~
I'd be amused if Hybrid pulled a quick one and won.

Whichever kit comes second; I'm wondering if MiTo would consider having it produced at a future date. Considering the popularity of this set, I think its approachable than keeping the exclusivity to one.

Offline Ouhei

« Reply #360 on: Mon, 15 May 2017, 12:24:54 »
I also favour the busy look of Gaijin.  I think it fits the aesthetic of the set the best and it makes the mono legend sets seem disappointing in comparison.
Yeah, I think the Gaijin plays into the theme nicely. Cyberpunk (to me) has always been a bit chaotic and usually involves the mashup if western and eastern cultures so I think the double legend layout plays into that better than the mono legend options.

Offline rmendis

• Artisan addict
« Reply #361 on: Mon, 15 May 2017, 13:19:36 »
Yeah, I think the Gaijin plays into the theme nicely. Cyberpunk (to me) has always been a bit chaotic and usually involves the mashup if western and eastern cultures so I think the double legend layout plays into that better than the mono legend options.

Yep. I am really hoping that Gaijin gets released.

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #362 on: Mon, 15 May 2017, 14:16:02 »

exactly. even the novelties are all over the place. imo, the more wild colors in this set the better. gaijin or standard

Offline Draic

« Reply #363 on: Mon, 15 May 2017, 14:47:09 »
Hiragana and Gajin both have their appeal. I voted for gajin because of the busy and chaotic nature, but I will get whatever wins and will be happy with it

Offline yokken

« Reply #364 on: Mon, 15 May 2017, 16:31:05 »
I'd love to know how many people who are interested in this set are interested in the Japanese legends. The last few pages seem to have been nothing but chatter about the Hiragana and Gaijin kits. Then again I don't know of many sets that look this good _and_ have the option of doubleshot Japanese legends (everything else being dye-subbed). Still, I love data so a strawpoll would be interesting.

Offline smt

• I like keyboards
    • smt.io
« Reply #365 on: Mon, 15 May 2017, 17:59:06 »
I'm in for the base set regardless. It's all about the base set and novelties for me.

Yes, as a Dvorak user (as well as 40%er), I'd be pushed over the edge to add the mono Hiragana if that ends up being offered. But that's not where my focus is.
HHKB Pro 2 | FC660C | Clueboards | MOD-M Custom | MiniVan | Preonic | Planck | Let's Split | Anne Pro | WASD CODE TKL

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #366 on: Mon, 15 May 2017, 18:33:23 »
Hiragana and Gajin both have their appeal. I voted for gajin because of the busy and chaotic nature, but I will get whatever wins and will be happy with it

Unpopular keyboard opinion. Double legends have more of an appeal for me. And yes... I can touch type.
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline Owl-

« Reply #367 on: Mon, 15 May 2017, 19:12:54 »
I'd love to know how many people who are interested in this set are interested in the Japanese legends. The last few pages seem to have been nothing but chatter about the Hiragana and Gaijin kits. Then again I don't know of many sets that look this good _and_ have the option of doubleshot Japanese legends (everything else being dye-subbed). Still, I love data so a strawpoll would be interesting.

The Gaijin and Hira kit are about the Japanese legends if you've thoroughly read. Discussion about it means people are interested in it whether it be for aesthetic or not.

A poll already exists for voting.

Offline greywinthrop

« Reply #368 on: Mon, 15 May 2017, 22:06:53 »
I personally prefer the look of Gaijin, and I know that the other people in my household would complain bitterly if I used Hiragana, so I wouldn't think about buying that kit.  My wallet would thank me, though, and I'd be happy with the base kit and novelties alone, so I wouldn't be too sad about it.

Offline ullr

« Reply #369 on: Mon, 15 May 2017, 22:20:34 »
They are pretty much neck and neck. Perhaps a repoll is in order, just between the two?

Offline pomk

« Reply #370 on: Tue, 16 May 2017, 04:38:46 »
I'd say that moon runes are a better description for the gaijin set, seeing how they aren't compatible with any standard japanese layout. Hiragana could be used with the addition of 3(?) keys.

Offline Ouhei

« Reply #371 on: Tue, 16 May 2017, 05:48:31 »
I personally prefer the look of Gaijin, and I know that the other people in my household would complain bitterly if I used Hiragana, so I wouldn't think about buying that kit.  My wallet would thank me, though, and I'd be happy with the base kit and novelties alone, so I wouldn't be too sad about it.
Yeah this is pretty much where I'm at too.

Offline Auk

« Reply #372 on: Tue, 16 May 2017, 06:00:47 »
Assuming they win the vote, will Laser have a set of icon modifiers to compliment the Hiragana legends?

Offline Owl-

« Reply #373 on: Tue, 16 May 2017, 06:15:57 »

Are you buying the kit for the family to use? If not, I can't see why anyone would want to make any bitter complaints.

Offline Ouhei

« Reply #374 on: Tue, 16 May 2017, 10:35:32 »

Are you buying the kit for the family to use? If not, I can't see why anyone would want to make any bitter complaints.
Some of us have computers that are used by people other than ourselves at times. My wife uses my computer and while she's also mostly a touch typist, she doesn't like blank keys, especially if the board has a unique layout (I will be putting this set on a 96key board, not terrible nonstandard, but different enough). I also prefer to have legends for the rare occurrence that I need to look down for a key, it's just personal preference.

Like I've said before, I'm in on this set no matter what (well assuming it's priced like other GMK sets). If Gaijin wins I'll probably spring for the extra kit as I really like the look for the set and it works for my home setup/situation. If Hiragana only wins I won't be springing for the extra kit because it doesn't appeal to me, but if it's what more people want then it's whatever.

Offline greywinthrop

« Reply #375 on: Tue, 16 May 2017, 22:36:28 »

I wouldn't forbid anyone from using my computer/keyboards just because they're a part of a hobby of mine, and I can see my teenager/spouse/brother all being annoyed by Hiragana, because none of them are touch typists.  I mean, if I really loved those alphas, I would ignore them and let them deal with it on the rare occasions that they use my keyboard, but as it is, they're not a must have.  Both Hiragana and Gaijin would be a fun addition to this set, but I'm just being practical in saying that I'd rather get the one that wouldn't lead to having to guide my kid's hands to the home keys every time he wants to use my computer.   

Offline pomk

« Reply #376 on: Wed, 17 May 2017, 03:01:44 »
Yuri prices are up. Assuming that the pricing would be the same (why would it not be?) the gaijin/hiragana set would be ~ 80 usd on top of the base kit (~ 130 usd). This information could be added to the poll.

Offline Owl-

« Reply #377 on: Wed, 17 May 2017, 06:10:29 »
Some of us have computers that are used by people other than ourselves at times. My wife uses my computer and while she's also mostly a touch typist, she doesn't like blank keys, especially if the board has a unique layout (I will be putting this set on a 96key board, not terrible nonstandard, but different enough). I also prefer to have legends for the rare occurrence that I need to look down for a key, it's just personal preference.

Like I've said before, I'm in on this set no matter what (well assuming it's priced like other GMK sets). If Gaijin wins I'll probably spring for the extra kit as I really like the look for the set and it works for my home setup/situation. If Hiragana only wins I won't be springing for the extra kit because it doesn't appeal to me, but if it's what more people want then it's whatever.
I wouldn't forbid anyone from using my computer/keyboards just because they're a part of a hobby of mine, and I can see my teenager/spouse/brother all being annoyed by Hiragana, because none of them are touch typists.  I mean, if I really loved those alphas, I would ignore them and let them deal with it on the rare occasions that they use my keyboard, but as it is, they're not a must have.  Both Hiragana and Gaijin would be a fun addition to this set, but I'm just being practical in saying that I'd rather get the one that wouldn't lead to having to guide my kid's hands to the home keys every time he wants to use my computer.   

That's great that you both and some others share your keyboard :) I haven't shared mine in a while and don't plan to for a long while after four different incidents in the past. I did share mine for a short period with my partner, but I ended up building one as a gift some time back, so we both have our own.
Understandable that the Gaijin kit is preferred for you both, nothing wrong with that. We're pretty much all interested in the main kit after all, and the Jap kit is an extra aesthetic for whichever MiTo brings through :)

Offline Ouhei

« Reply #378 on: Wed, 17 May 2017, 09:41:53 »
Yuri prices are up. Assuming that the pricing would be the same (why would it not be?) the gaijin/hiragana set would be ~ 80 usd on top of the base kit (~ 130 usd). This information could be added to the poll.
That's the highest price point, lowest is $60 if there's 250+ purchased, which is about in line with what people here have been talking about.

Offline thelaughingman

« Reply #379 on: Wed, 17 May 2017, 10:04:45 »
Understandable that the Gaijin kit is preferred for you both, nothing wrong with that. We're pretty much all interested in the main kit after all, and the Jap kit is an extra aesthetic for whichever MiTo brings through :)

Think of the thousands that bought Enjoy or IMSTO Cyrillic or Japanese or Korean set, all of which have double legends. I'm just saying, an aesthetic preference for double legends is real and it's not purely about practicality like the Hiragana purists are saying  :p :p :p

Offline Owl-

« Reply #380 on: Wed, 17 May 2017, 11:01:25 »
Yes, of course, a lot would like to see DS sub-legends, but in the end, the primary attention is on the main set/base kit :) without it, the Jap kit wouldn't be brought up like this.

Regardless, I'm getting whatever pops forward :D

Offline thelaughingman

« Reply #381 on: Wed, 17 May 2017, 11:35:20 »
Yes, of course, a lot would like to see DS sub-legends, but in the end, the primary attention is on the main set/base kit :) without it, the Jap kit wouldn't be brought up like this.

Regardless, I'm getting whatever pops forward :D

Exactly! :thumb:

Offline Aperture_Sci

• ZZ96 / 65g Zealios / GMK Sky Dolch
« Reply #382 on: Wed, 17 May 2017, 22:52:45 »
Totally in - is there an ETA for this yet?

Offline creactive

« Reply #383 on: Wed, 17 May 2017, 23:40:06 »
sorry for asking a dumb question. I could not find the exact base color and legend color of alpha. Does alpha has purple base color with blue legend or something customized purple and blue?

Offline digisax

« Reply #384 on: Thu, 18 May 2017, 00:08:42 »
Totally in - is there an ETA for this yet?

Hopefully not too soon, Yuri already killed my wallet for a bit.

Offline ShishKabobJerry

« Reply #385 on: Thu, 18 May 2017, 05:54:22 »
Just realized this set is ABS. How's the quality of GMK ABS compared to other ABS keysets?

Offline Ouhei

« Reply #386 on: Thu, 18 May 2017, 09:01:24 »
Just realized this set is ABS. How's the quality of GMK ABS compared to other ABS keysets?
GMK is widely considered the highest quality ABS caps on the market.

Offline digisax

« Reply #387 on: Thu, 18 May 2017, 09:39:26 »

I would take GMK ABS over most PBT sets, GMK's ABS is really thick and really nice to type on. It will shine eventually, but not at all quickly.

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #388 on: Thu, 18 May 2017, 10:36:08 »

I would take GMK ABS over most PBT sets, GMK's ABS is really thick and really nice to type on. It will shine eventually, but not at all quickly.

The feel isn't really a worry. I'm more concerned about the shine. Though, this would be me first gmk set, so I'm not sure what to expect.
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline digisax

« Reply #389 on: Thu, 18 May 2017, 10:38:04 »

The feel isn't really a worry. I'm more concerned about the shine. Though, this would be me first gmk set, so I'm not sure what to expect.

All ABS caps will shine, but GMK caps will take quite a while to do so. I've seen people with 2+ year old sets on daily drivers with no shine.

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #390 on: Fri, 19 May 2017, 01:26:21 »
Are the Alphas the same color as Skeletor mods? Just wondering if I need to try and stock up on another Skeletor set.

Offline ShishKabobJerry

« Reply #391 on: Fri, 19 May 2017, 08:39:34 »
Ohh I see. That clears up most of questions. Thanks!

Offline fouras

« Reply #392 on: Fri, 19 May 2017, 10:16:50 »
Are the Alphas the same color as Skeletor mods? Just wondering if I need to try and stock up on another Skeletor set.
No, it's a custom color.

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #393 on: Fri, 19 May 2017, 22:40:25 »

As if I wasn't sold already.... Any word on timing? Compared to SA, is GMK generally better or worse?

All ABS caps will shine, but GMK caps will take quite a while to do so. I've seen people with 2+ year old sets on daily drivers with no shine.

Offline Overchecken8

« Reply #394 on: Sat, 20 May 2017, 10:04:51 »
Gah I remember this set being teased a month or so ago and completely forgot about it. I'll be watching this thread like a hawk. Those novelties are something else.

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #395 on: Sat, 20 May 2017, 21:16:54 »
Will the Hiragana Monolegends be doubleshot like Yuri Cyrillic?

Would be sweet if the molds are used with some different colors in the future.

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #396 on: Sat, 20 May 2017, 22:06:19 »

Yes, and yes it will be great for future sets!

Offline digisax

« Reply #397 on: Sat, 20 May 2017, 23:31:34 »

Whatever kit wins will be doubleshot same as Yuri, monolegends would be better in this respect as it gives more options for future sets imo.

Offline theasian

« Reply #398 on: Sun, 21 May 2017, 19:00:09 »
I'm down for this ... Debating about Gaijin, but I've got time :)

Offline _PixelNinja

• C=Q/V=ε(A/t)
« Reply #399 on: Mon, 22 May 2017, 09:20:34 »
If this has already been asked then I apologize, but is that Caps Loco key premeditated as such? I ask because I invert Ctrl and Caps Lock on my 660 keyboards, and find it a shame that recent GMK sets include an R3 1.75u Ctrl but no R4 1.25u Caps Lock.

Frequency of use aside, the thing is, that is dependent on one's body chemistry; some people have more corrosive skin secretions that others, witch affects the how fast the polishing of the keycaps will
« Last Edit: Mon, 22 May 2017, 09:25:09 by _PixelNinja »