Author Topic: [GB] GMK Dracula (CLOSED) — Shipping!  (Read 298369 times)

Offline wholypantalones

• text and icon mods plz.
Re: [GB] GMK Dracula (CLOSED) — In color matching phase
« Reply #300 on: Fri, 16 October 2020, 12:46:23 »
Hell, what's another year of waiting for increased production to happen?  ;D

Offline audax989

• NOM NOM NOM
    • Guam Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #301 on: Mon, 19 October 2020, 17:51:27 »
Has it already been a year?! In the back of my mind I thought this gb ended like in March. 2021 let’s go!

Offline Arithmetics

« Reply #302 on: Mon, 19 October 2020, 19:02:50 »
ill def plunk in for R1.2 lol

Offline Buster69

« Reply #303 on: Fri, 23 October 2020, 13:24:38 »
Crossing my fingers for a good news update today. Please please please

Offline PPsyrius

« Reply #304 on: Tue, 27 October 2020, 01:58:24 »
At this rate we may as well make R1 (Part 2) real  - turns out I ended up regretting not getting the mod set the first time this was up for GB...

Offline baccaan

« Reply #305 on: Tue, 27 October 2020, 15:34:36 »
Count me in for R1.2 please take my money

Offline klementtan

« Reply #306 on: Tue, 27 October 2020, 23:49:39 »
Would love for R1.2 too! Got into the keyboard game after this gb ended and I love this set so much

Offline ShiroMoria

« Reply #307 on: Wed, 28 October 2020, 05:30:44 »
Damn, the idea about R1.2 is actually pretty good. A year ago i didn't have a board to match dracula with, but now i would insta jump in. I hope something is doable if the production hasn't started yet. Maybe OP can talk to GMK and open the gates for more.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Offline andtar2

« Reply #308 on: Wed, 28 October 2020, 05:54:58 »
I think there will be almost 1000 base kits + other kits for sale as extras, so you will still will have chance to buy it when its done.

Anyway, it would be nice with some status update for colour matching progress.

Offline J3ff_Leopard

• Wishlist
« Reply #309 on: Wed, 28 October 2020, 06:02:14 »
You guys think it's a good idea to throw more money at a project that hasn't even been finilized for production? Or delivered to the R1 participants? Risk takers.
« Last Edit: Wed, 28 October 2020, 06:07:38 by J3ff_Leopard »
WTB Resin Cast Click Clack Leaf

Offline elmo

• Hello I like keyboards
    • Elmo's keyboards
« Reply #310 on: Wed, 28 October 2020, 07:56:24 »
You guys think it's a good idea to throw more money at a project that hasn't even been finilized for production? Or delivered to the R1 participants? Risk takers.

There isn't really much risk with a GMK groupbuy that was run through vendors.
GMK always delivers (even though their queue right now is quite big) and the vendors that handled this set are all well known and reputable.

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
« Reply #311 on: Wed, 28 October 2020, 10:00:27 »

There isn't really much risk with a GMK groupbuy that was run through vendors.
GMK always delivers (even though their queue right now is quite big) and the vendors that handled this set are all well known and reputable.

+1

« Reply #312 on: Wed, 28 October 2020, 10:36:36 »
I sort of doubt GMK would be willing to throw all their other clients (ie other GBs in their queue) under the bus and increase the wait times for those clients even longer just to manufacture another several thousand sets more than what were initially ordered because people demand an R1.2

I regret not ordering Nightmode with my preference for plainer looking sets these days but I know I'll have to do the extras gamble just like anyone else.

Offline euphxenos

« Reply #313 on: Wed, 28 October 2020, 12:02:41 »
I doubt GMK even has a place in the production queue for Dracula at this point.  They're still color matching long after they were supposed to have been done and shipped.  We're just guessing about how feasible it would be to let more buyers in, unless the folks actually running this want to chime in.

Offline Hell-es

« Reply #314 on: Wed, 28 October 2020, 14:14:26 »
Dunno gmk production workflow and how big the difference in producing twice the amount of sets is - definatelly not twice the time. As there are smed times etc.

But it was just a thought, certainly not goin to happen

Offline Buster69

« Reply #315 on: Fri, 30 October 2020, 11:34:26 »
I sort of doubt GMK would be willing to throw all their other clients (ie other GBs in their queue) under the bus and increase the wait times for those clients even longer just to manufacture another several thousand sets more than what were initially ordered because people demand an R1.2

I regret not ordering Nightmode with my preference for plainer looking sets these days but I know I'll have to do the extras gamble just like anyone else.

Same here, regret not getting nightmode to go with ERR. I also need a second minify kit because I need two 2.75's... There should be a lot of extras, but I'm guessing it will be a bloodbath lol.

Offline AlcoholEnthusiast

« Reply #316 on: Sun, 01 November 2020, 05:03:41 »
I'm a bit skeptical at the thought of adding another few thousand kits to an already massive GB, that still hasn't entered production over a year in.

Plus, like someone else mentioned, there are going to be loads of extras for this set.

Offline surreal19

« Reply #317 on: Sun, 01 November 2020, 14:05:12 »
imagine it takes another 8 months for this set to complete lol

Offline noorejji

« Reply #318 on: Sun, 01 November 2020, 15:30:58 »
I imagine never buying a GMK set again, because this is ridiculous.

Offline elmo

• Hello I like keyboards
    • Elmo's keyboards
« Reply #319 on: Sun, 01 November 2020, 15:54:26 »
I imagine never buying a GMK set again, because this is ridiculous.

This set takes so long because it has 8 custom colors that need to be matched.
And not only that but unfortunately GMK is having a lot of problems with their plastic suppliers rn due to the Covid-19 pandemic which increased the waiting time for the color samples a lot.

But honestly I'd rather have a well colormatched set and wait two years for it than having a rushed set that looks nothing like the renders in the end.

Other GMK sets usually have one or two custom colors so they don't take that long. Sets that use GMK standard colors are even faster.
Don't expect that this is the norm for GMK sets. It's an exception caused by the design choices of the set and the ongoing pandemic.

Also here's an update by Dixie:

Offline wholypantalones

« Reply #320 on: Sun, 01 November 2020, 17:15:43 »
So we're clarifying and giving updates on this set in a reddit post about another gmk set? This one has been radio silence for how long with the exception of "perpetually color matching" updates?

It would be great to hear something from the parties involved here, in the actual gb thread after a year of color matching and covid.

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #321 on: Sun, 01 November 2020, 18:14:21 »
I have no problem waiting, but please for the love of God, request that GMK up their spacebar QC. Every covid era GMK set I've gotten ships with a 7U banana, which makes sets unusable on nice wkl boards.

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
« Reply #322 on: Sun, 01 November 2020, 18:35:13 »
I have no problem waiting, but please for the love of God, request that GMK up their spacebar QC. Every covid era GMK set I've gotten ships with a 7U banana, which makes sets unusable on nice wkl boards.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=103619.msg2950871#msg2950871

You're mistaken, they aren't defective but merely within GMK's new quality standard.

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #323 on: Sun, 01 November 2020, 23:58:12 »
So we're clarifying and giving updates on this set in a reddit post about another gmk set? This one has been radio silence for how long with the exception of "perpetually color matching" updates?

It would be great to hear something from the parties involved here, in the actual gb thread after a year of color matching and covid.

Dixie only responds when his reddit karma is on the line

Offline elmo

• Hello I like keyboards
    • Elmo's keyboards
« Reply #324 on: Mon, 02 November 2020, 03:41:32 »

The post actually was about Dracula but I agree. Would be nice to see some updates in here as well.

« Reply #325 on: Mon, 02 November 2020, 09:57:26 »

I'm hoping that is now in the past, my DMG base spacebars and spacebars kit were flawless and I'm using 7u.

Offline WHAT!?

• WHAT!?
« Reply #326 on: Mon, 02 November 2020, 12:34:41 »

x2

It really is pretty piss poor. I mean how long does it take to leave an update? I'm not a hard man to please. I threw hundreds of dollars at thing, as we all did, and really haven't complained in a years time that I have nothing to show for it. The very least that could be done by the runners (and I mean the very least) is pop in at least once a month with a status update so I know what to expect and where things stand. That's just basic courtesy.

Offline wholypantalones

« Reply #327 on: Mon, 02 November 2020, 15:11:45 »
Meanwhile if you joined another keyset group buy, you get this sort of detailed information:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=104498.msg2942230#msg2942230

If you joined Dracula, you get:

We just received a package from GMK containing some samples for GMK Dracula. We have only opened the package and have not taken a look at the samples because they just arrived. Not all the samples we are waiting on are in this shipment. We are still waiting on some.

perpetual color matching.

Offline GarrettSucks

• All project timelines at at timelines.omnitype.com
    • Omnitype
« Reply #328 on: Fri, 06 November 2020, 19:47:08 »
Oh look! An update!

Before we get into the update, we would like to give some perspective on why this is taking so long for anyone who wants an explanation.

Dracula has 8 custom colors that had to be matched. Last year, sets with 2-3 custom colors would take about 4 weeks to receive each sample round. The combination of Dracula having so many colors to be matched, GMK already being overloaded last year, COVID-19 shutting down GMK and the plastic supplier for a few weeks, and regulatory safety measures even after they opened back up have all resulted in how long this is taking. 90% of the time has been us waiting to get the samples or just waiting for the samples to arrive to Nebulant and Pikku once they arrive.

Because the timeline of these samples is spread out amongst all of our weekly updates, we will compile it all here for you.

ROUND 1:
+ Oct 2019 - Colors submitted.
+ Early Feb 2020 - Received the first round of samples. 4 month wait.
+ Early Feb 2020 - Sent samples to Pikku.
+ Late Feb 2020 - Approved red and blue. Submitted adjustments for a second round of alphas, mods, pink, green, purple, and yellow. Right after the pandemic really started to shut down everything.

ROUND 2:
+ Late July  - Received the second round of samples. 5 month wait. 
+ Early August - Sent samples to Nebulant to measure and to Pikku.
+ First Week of Sept -  No approvals. Submitted adjustments for a third round.

ROUND 3:
+ Mid Oct - We received alpha, modifier, and yellow samples.  Within 5 weeks of submitting them, which seems to be back to the original timeline of samples from 2019.
+ Mid Oct - Sent samples to Nebulant and Pikku.
+ Early Nov - Approved modifiers and yellow(tentatively). Submitted adjustments for a forth round of the modifiers.

Now onto detailed information about the R3 samples. 

Pikku and I have gone through the data from Nebulant for the latest round of samples. We are currently still waiting on the third round of the pink, green, and purple samples. We do not have an estimated arrival time, but we hope to have them soon because these were sent in around the same time as the alphas, modifiers, and yellow.

The three colors that we received this round were the third round of the alphas, modifiers, and yellow.

The alphas are approved and look fantastic.

We will be getting a 4th round of the modifiers because the color is just too dark at the moment. It meshes really well alongside the R2 alphas, which were also too dark, so we are going to ask that the R4 modifier be adjusted the same amount that the R3 alpha was. It is very important that the contrast between the alphas and mods be correct.

Because the pink, green, and purple aren’t too far behind, we are waiting until we receive them before we 100% confirm the approval of the yellow. We want to make sure it meshes well with those colors (if they are approved) first.

Below you can see which colors have been approved.

Alphas - R3 APPROVED  ✔︎
Modifiers - Getting an R4
Red - R1 APPROVED ✔︎
Blue - R1 APPROVED  ✔︎
Pink - Waiting for R3
Green - Waiting for R3
Purple - Waiting for R3
Yellow - R3 APPROVED TENTATIVELY  ✔︎
White - STOCK COLOR ✔︎

We have not started compiling the color-matching document for this set because it is much larger and more complicated than others. We will try to get this done, but it may not be done until the color matching is complete.

We post weekly updates on all of our projects at news.dixiemech.com and here is a link to our most recent > https://dixiemech.com/news/11-6-2020
« Last Edit: Fri, 06 November 2020, 20:09:29 by GarrettSucks »

Offline wholypantalones

« Reply #329 on: Fri, 06 November 2020, 21:15:31 »

Offline geewiz

« Reply #330 on: Sat, 07 November 2020, 04:57:15 »
Now THAT is an update. It's a real eye-opener for how far this process is apart from "slap together various colours of plastic" if you're doing it right.

Offline avid

« Reply #331 on: Sat, 07 November 2020, 07:26:16 »
How does it work with production que, will production start as soon as all colors are approved or will it have to wait for other keysets to be produced ahead?

Offline elmo

• Hello I like keyboards
    • Elmo's keyboards
« Reply #332 on: Sat, 07 November 2020, 13:24:51 »
How does it work with production que, will production start as soon as all colors are approved or will it have to wait for other keysets to be produced ahead?

It will have to wait until other keysets that were queued before have finished production.
But usually the production is pretty fast once it has started with QMK. It's just the waiting time that is so long rn.

Offline Wickles

« Reply #333 on: Sat, 07 November 2020, 14:33:43 »
Solid update, really gutted I didn't purchase some of the add-on modules. Hopefully there is a R2 at some point!

Offline Pylon

« Reply #334 on: Sat, 07 November 2020, 21:21:29 »

It will have to wait until other keysets that were queued before have finished production.
But usually the production is pretty fast once it has started with QMK. It's just the waiting time that is so long rn.

Is production queue scheduled before or after color matching? Given Dracula closed over a year ago I would assume it would have priority in the queue as soon as it's done color matching?

Offline elmo

• Hello I like keyboards
    • Elmo's keyboards
« Reply #335 on: Sun, 08 November 2020, 04:25:59 »

Is production queue scheduled before or after color matching? Given Dracula closed over a year ago I would assume it would have priority in the queue as soon as it's done color matching?

Most likely after because it doesn't make much sense to put a set into queue when they don't know how long the colormatching will take.

Offline Buster69

« Reply #336 on: Wed, 11 November 2020, 15:05:30 »
Solid update, really gutted I didn't purchase some of the add-on modules. Hopefully there is a R2 at some point!

Same. There should be lots of extras though. Hoping to grab an extra minify kit and the night mode kit.

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #337 on: Wed, 11 November 2020, 16:28:03 »

Most likely after because it doesn't make much sense to put a set into queue when they don't know how long the colormatching will take.

It's before, as crazy as that sounds. You're give a production slot some time down the line, which is also why designers/vendors are able to estimate date of delivery. But yeah, that goes out the window more times than not with custom colors.

Offline Buster69

« Reply #338 on: Thu, 19 November 2020, 18:15:07 »
Bets on which will come first, Dracula or a vaccine?

All jokes aside, hopefully they will get this set perfect and we will get a real update and ETA soon. Hold fast gentleman.

Offline BAS1C

« Reply #339 on: Sun, 22 November 2020, 23:08:21 »
If n e one doesn't want to wait... I'll gladly snipe your spot. Otherwise, stoked for some extras, leggoooo.

Offline KucherenkoZZZ

« Reply #340 on: Wed, 25 November 2020, 17:34:29 »
And this is the difference between a good group buy and bad group buy. In a good group buy the color matching phase begins in IC and in the bad one color matching begins after people paid money and waiting to get the product on hand. The same bad managing happened to GMK Toxic, such a shame

Offline Pylon

« Reply #341 on: Wed, 25 November 2020, 18:12:29 »
I don't think anyone ever color matches during IC.

Offline IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES

« Reply #342 on: Wed, 25 November 2020, 18:27:58 »
And this is the difference between a good group buy and bad group buy. In a good group buy the color matching phase begins in IC and in the bad one color matching begins after people paid money and waiting to get the product on hand. The same bad managing happened to GMK Toxic, such a shame

Name the GMK sets that began color matching during GB. Take your time, start back 8 years ago, let us know.

Offline KucherenkoZZZ

« Reply #343 on: Wed, 25 November 2020, 18:42:50 »

Name the GMK sets that began color matching during GB. Take your time, start back 8 years ago, let us know.

Here is the one DURING IC stage where guy ordering SECOND ROUND of samples to get the colors right to his renders - https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=101922.0

I think everyone who cares about customers and not just "cash grabbing" makes it either during IC (and keep in mind that we are talking about 2-3 colors sets) or at the beginning of GB but when u have an 5+ custom color sets you should have a color samples on hand on (during) IC stage IMO

And i've seen a lot of GMK sets that had color matching either during IC or at the start of GB, but sure, you can happily wait another year.. or two or three..
« Last Edit: Wed, 25 November 2020, 18:44:27 by KucherenkoZZZ »

Offline IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES

« Reply #344 on: Wed, 25 November 2020, 19:43:14 »
How about a set that has actually entered a GB phase?

"And i've seen a lot of GMK sets that had color matching either during IC or at the start of GB"

Wonderful, please post them. Surely a lot would be at least 10?

Im being pedantic here because 95%+ of the time prematch from GMK doesnt happen and I think at least deep down we both know that. Thats not to say its the correct thing to do and here we're in agreement. I think at least having the plastic chip in hand for a color standard would be a fantastic expectation for GBs as it would prevent my main pet peeve, which is where a color has been chosen from a standard such RAL or Pantone so everyone can view from a deck or on a color accurate monitor, and then changing from that color. That personally bothers me more than delays.

Offline Pylon

« Reply #345 on: Wed, 25 November 2020, 20:57:11 »

Here is the one DURING IC stage where guy ordering SECOND ROUND of samples to get the colors right to his renders - https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=101922.0

Buying a Pantone or RAL chip to match renders to the RAL/Pantone color (which anyone can do for $20) is not the same as getting GMK to color match to that Pantone/RAL chip. GMK did not do color matching during that IC.

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #346 on: Thu, 26 November 2020, 08:10:33 »

I think everyone who cares about customers and not just "cash grabbing" makes it either during IC (and keep in mind that we are talking about 2-3 colors sets) or at the beginning of GB but when u have an 5+ custom color sets you should have a color samples on hand on (during) IC stage IMO

And i've seen a lot of GMK sets that had color matching either during IC or at the start of GB, but sure, you can happily wait another year.. or two or three..

What? GMK is not matching that set (at least judging from the thread) during his IC, he mentioned buying chips (physical color samples). Most group buys have chips prior to even creating the IC, or should anyway.

BUT - GMK can start colormatching before the GB concludes. However, it comes with a big cost and not many are willing to commit to that cost before knowing if their set will even meet MOQ or not. :)

Edit; also lol at dixie having GMK send the samples all the way to the US during covid, who in turn sends them all the way back to EU to pikku. :D
« Last Edit: Thu, 26 November 2020, 08:13:28 by Emir »

Offline elmo

• Hello I like keyboards
    • Elmo's keyboards
« Reply #347 on: Fri, 27 November 2020, 04:48:45 »

You obviously don't even know what color matching means...

Offline s3vv4

« Reply #348 on: Fri, 27 November 2020, 18:24:00 »

Buying a Pantone or RAL chip to match renders to the RAL/Pantone color (which anyone can do for $20) is not the same as getting GMK to color match to that Pantone/RAL chip. GMK did not do color matching during that IC.

To add to that, the colors of this set only existed digitally, since they are from a coding colorscheme, so there isn't even any chip that fits perfectly to which GMK could match the color, so the process has to be this kind of iterative thing with the GB runner.

Offline The.Ryan.Gamer

« Reply #349 on: Wed, 02 December 2020, 02:28:10 »
Appreciate the update. Thanks