Author Topic: Headphone Thread.  (Read 1309086 times)

Offline AndrewZorn

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #100 on: Tue, 04 January 2011, 00:14:05 »
Quote from: muchadoaboutnothing;271846
Oh boy, burn in? I'm no believer in that. I think you get used to the sound signature. But let's make this an "agree to disagree" thing, because I don't think you'll find any studies on it.

(I'd be interested if you could get people who claimed to be able to hear the difference to do so in a double blind.)

How long did that take? I just got a pair of M50s and I'm worried about it.

A friend has some ATH-A700s and his pads are in bad shape. Well, actually, just the left one is gone; the right pad is near immaculate. Pretty odd.

Also, did you order identical OEM replacement pads or something else?

Only a couple months.  Not terrible, but I've always hated the sweat.  I bought DT250 velour pads, they supposedly fit.

Quote from: itlnstln;272356
I agree with didja.  The Triple.Fi 10s are pretty nice.  I have those and some ATH-M50s which I also like quite a bit.  I also got some triple flange inserts for the Triple.Fis, and that helped out a lot.

Just sold the TripleFi I kept for myself from the Amazon sale, never even opened them.  I would have had the same headphone combo as you.  I just couldn't get over how long the TripleFis were, if I get earbuds, I want to be able to lie down on a pillow while using them... something I've never experienced with comfort.

Offline kamikazekyle

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #101 on: Wed, 05 January 2011, 08:37:43 »
So, I had this nice long reply typed up but I got logged out between typing it and posting.  Therefore, this new reply will be a bit condensed (which I'm sure some will like :) )

Anyway.  Got the 595's in last night and had a go at them with Divinity 2 for 3-4 hours.  They have some amazing stereo separation and sound stage, that's for sure.  Mids/highs are clear and crisp without feeling too harsh, though they could be a little warmer for my tastes.  Bass is there and defined, though lacking body.  Fit and comfort were great, and far better than my A900s or any Grado I've used.  If I can eek up the low end a bit and keep the mids/highs clean, I'll be damn happy with the purchase.

As my Zune did nothing but tickle the headphones till 80% of max volume (and they were weaker in the low-end impact), I ran them through my FiiO E5 with the bass boost on.  That helped round out the lows and drive them a bit better, though nothing significant.  I also tried some software EQ using my computer's onboard Realtek, and while it helped, I couldn't do much without distorting the sound.  I have yet to try the headphones with my bass guitar amp.

I wound up ordering a Nuforce Icon uDAC-2 for a USB DAC and headphone amp as the FiiO didn't cut it.  From what I've read the uDAC-2 should round out the lower end a bit better than the FiiO while expanding my laptop (and other computers) outputs to RCA or Coax without needing to carry converters.  As I'm going to be travelling a good bit and using my MacBook or other desktops/laptops, having a portable USB DAC will be nice to maintain consistent sound.  If I find out I still want more shaping of the signal or additional amping, I'll probably save and get an Arrow 12HE.  The uDAC-2 should be able to do some preamping on the RCA if I want to run it into another amp or powered speaker set.

Offline Co-Op

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #102 on: Wed, 05 January 2011, 08:58:47 »
Sennheiser HD580's... Had em for ages, and I think they are discontinued.

Offline nowsharing

• Swoop
Headphone Thread.
« Reply #103 on: Wed, 05 January 2011, 10:31:05 »
Here's my budget setup:
Fuze LOD -> PA2V2 -> Grado SR80

I picked up the PA2V2 and a pair of Senn PX100s for $40 and sniped the Grados for $35.

I'm jealous of the awesome setups that everyone has, but happy enough with this rig for the moment.

What a horrible picture. Oh well, you get the idea.

Offline ChThoniC

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #104 on: Wed, 05 January 2011, 11:34:26 »
I use Beyerdynamic DT770-80s at home, straight from my sound card. Love the sounds, great for any kind of music and especially for games/movies. Had them for almost four years, and they were a really great investment.

I use MEElectroics M9 for all portable uses... I can't believe how good they sound for $13. I see myself purchasing from this manufacturer again, whether I need another pair of earphones that I will probably break or want a slightly more expensive IEM.

Offline kamikazekyle

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #105 on: Wed, 05 January 2011, 13:20:12 »
Quote from: nowsharing;273492
Here's my budget setup:
Fuze LOD -> PA2V2 -> Grado SR80

I picked up the PA2V2 and a pair of Senn PX100s for $40 and sniped the Grados for $35.

I'm jealous of the awesome setups that everyone has, but happy enough with this rig for the moment.

What a horrible picture. Oh well, you get the idea.

Wow, that's some pretty good deals.  I also like your patch setup with the Fuze to the PA2V2.  I wound up getting the FiiO E5 as it was cheap and the size of a 2nd gen iPod shuffle, though it never reall did a whole heck of a lot for most IEMs I used on it.

I wish I knew what I did with my Grados.  I know the wiring in one of the ear pieces was coming loose, though I figured I could fix it.  I probably lost it/accidentally tossed them out during a move.  Hell, I only have 2 CDs left from before I moved into my house a year ago.  Between a theft and two moves, they've all disappeared.  Which sucks, as I hadn't yet ripped them all and some were only ripped in 192kb MP3, not FLAC.

Come to think of it, I lose a lot of stuff every time I move :P

Offline Brodie337

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #106 on: Wed, 05 January 2011, 15:30:25 »
I don't know if this is really the place to ask, but I was just wondering if you think I'd see alot of improvement if I was to buy a headphone amp for my HD555s, which I've done the 595 mod on?

Is it worth it? Where do I start looking for an amp in Australia, and what amps do I look out for?

Thanks,
Brodie.

Offline panda-R

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #107 on: Wed, 05 January 2011, 16:23:28 »
I'd recommend buying a DAC/amp. Don't amplify a ****ty source to make a giant ****ty.

I'd recomend the MATRIX MINI-I from ebay as a good starting point.
DO YOU FEEL THE BEAT? I DO.
One Keyboard to DOOM them all, REALFORCE.

woody

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #108 on: Wed, 05 January 2011, 16:44:42 »
Quote from: panda-R;273662
I'd recommend buying a DAC/amp. Don't amplify a ****ty source to make a giant ****ty.

Panda's are furry but wise. Stay digital until the DAC/amp + headphones (or speakers).
Many PC motherboards (and other equipment) today have optical or coaxial digital output.

Offline panda-R

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #109 on: Thu, 06 January 2011, 00:13:22 »
big poo big poo!!!

Offline Brodie337

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #110 on: Thu, 06 January 2011, 00:45:21 »
Thanks guys, I'll look into it. While I like my music to sound nice, I've never really looked into PC audio much.

Offline CodeChef

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #111 on: Thu, 06 January 2011, 18:38:34 »
ah man, nowsharing, where'd you get the Fuze cable end? Where'd you get the pinout for that matter? I've been meaning to do that for a while but i couldn't find either of those things. BTW, the standard audio out of the Fuze (and Clip) is really one of the best out there.

Lanx, ABI (Anythingbutipod) is the GH of audio. They seem pretty modest but they're actually incredibly knowledgeable and friendly. Say Hi to Andreas while you're there, he's awesome :)

Do you guys want pics? If no one's going to look at them I'm not going all the way upstairs for my camera...
[sigpic][/sigpic]

Offline nowsharing

• Swoop
Headphone Thread.
« Reply #112 on: Thu, 06 January 2011, 19:13:59 »
where'd you get the Fuze cable end?

$12 shipped on Ebay: http://shop.ebay.com/items/?_nkw=fuze+lod. I'm really happy with the quality of it. About 6 months ago the only options were $30+.

Offline aynjell

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #113 on: Thu, 06 January 2011, 19:38:40 »
My list of cans:

Grado SR325i with reversed HD414 pads (quarter modded)
Shure SRH840 with straight cable
Sony MDR-V6 with Beyerdynamic DT250 pads
Sennheiser HD580 with 600 grilles, 650 cable/headband
Monster Turbine  /w triple flange modded to bi flange tips
Westone UM1 with comply tips (given to me at canjam chicago 2009 by westone rep)

Amp/DAC:

Little Dot I+ with M8083 tubes and OPA2107 op amp
SMSL mini-dac sd-793 with OPA2107 op amp
Headroom Total Bithead (given to me at canjam chicago 2009 by Headroom rep)

My girlfriend usually uses SR80i with the total bithead, while I use the mini-dac -> little dot I+.

a comment on the monsters, I got them for 65$ and they have great synergy with the motorola droid.
Das Keyboard Professional -mx blue- @ Work
Das Keyboard S Ultimate Silent -mx brown- @ Home

Do not fart in the same room as a dark brother or sister, to do so is to invoke the wrath of Sithis...

Offline aynjell

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #114 on: Thu, 06 January 2011, 19:50:37 »
Quote from: ripster;274279
Hey, you just voted for me in the Troll poll!

You need to upgrade to Senny HD595s.

You're the only person I saw trolling so far, but it's all funny.

Forgive me, sir!

And I have done countless HD555 to HD595 mods. I do like the phones, but the SRH840 are my gaming cans. Also, HD600 is better than HD595 (overpriced HD555's), afterall... the NUMBER IS BIGGAR! :O

I am also the self appointed organizer for omaha area head-fi meets. I've done one so far, this year. I'll be doing next year's for sure. Somehow I wrangled in 1600$ worth of raffle prizes for the event. It had it's perks too, i was one of the first people to get to listen to hifiman's latest, the RE-262, and I got a free loan of HD800 plus the ultra desktop setup from headroom for like 2 weeks at no cost to me.
« Last Edit: Thu, 06 January 2011, 19:53:07 by aynjell »

Do not fart in the same room as a dark brother or sister, to do so is to invoke the wrath of Sithis...

Offline Shawn Stanford

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #115 on: Fri, 07 January 2011, 07:19:59 »
I love this site so much...

As I've gotten older my hearing has gone south and my lifelong tinitis has gone north. At this point, comfort and convenience are as important to me as sound quality. I have a couple sets of earbuds, but I don't remember what they are. A cheap pair of Sonys, I think.

Oh, wait... *rummage* *rummage* Here's a pair in my desk at work. Icemat Audio? Meh, whatever...

I have an old set of Sony MDRs that I bought when I worked at Sony fifteen years ago. They cost me $35, which was something like 75% off list. They're open and sound really good, but they pinch my ears after a while.

I have a couple sets of Bose Around-the-Ear headphones. The first set I bought at Nellis AFB before I deployed in '08. I used them extensively that year and they were very comfortable with good isolation. They also travel surprisingly well.

I really don't have much need for headphones or earbuds day-to-day. At my computer at home I use the speakers built into the TV I'm using as a monitor. At work, I have an old pair of cheap speakers from somewhere. They don't even have a brand name. That's okay, since all I need to hear are the occasional warning beeps.
The Brat Prince of COBOL

Offline phillip

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #116 on: Fri, 07 January 2011, 07:51:05 »
i have a few pairs of inexpensive headphones and some other cheap iems that i don't remember the model numbers to
jvc ha-rx700
audio technica ath-ad300
audio technica ath-ad700

oh and source is generally computer -> optical -> old yamaha rx-v795 -> headphones

i'm returning the 595s, i think i'm going to step up to the beyerdynamic dt880s since i'm only concerned with gaming performance and comfort
« Last Edit: Sun, 09 January 2011, 00:12:18 by phillip »

Offline pfink

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #117 on: Fri, 07 January 2011, 11:43:59 »
After joining Head-Fi late last year I spent more money on audio gear in a month than I did on keyboards the entire year...ouch.

Anyway, at work I'm currently using a pair of Shure SRH440's, source is an iPod Classic 160GB->LOD->cMoy amp.

At home it's a modded pair of Grado SR60i's through a NuForce uDAC on my computer. The headphone setup on my main audio rig is a SlimDevices Squeezebox III->Maverick Audio D1->Musical Fidelity V-CAN->Grado HF-2's.

Offline lootbag

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #118 on: Fri, 07 January 2011, 12:59:42 »
this is as far as I journeyed into the audiophile world.
so expensive!

old mobile setup:
- iPod Touch 3G
- Whiplash Audio SCSCag Viablue LOD
- RSA Predator DAC/AMP
- Westone 3s

all I have left now are a iPod 5G, the Westone 3s and a pair of Grado SR-80s.
good enough for me :D

Offline CodeChef

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #119 on: Fri, 07 January 2011, 16:04:55 »
Just picked up a pair of HD280Pros for 75 bucks free shipping from Newegg... I would post the deal but it was a code and I don't have the email anymore...
[sigpic][/sigpic]

Offline db_Iodine

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #120 on: Fri, 07 January 2011, 16:29:52 »
Quote from: CodeChef;274837
Just picked up a pair of HD280Pros for 75 bucks free shipping from Newegg... I would post the deal but it was a code and I don't have the email anymore...

Let us hear how you like them when you get them. I've heard mostly bad things about them myself, but $75 sounds like a good price.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline CodeChef

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #121 on: Fri, 07 January 2011, 16:43:09 »
Yeah, I've heard generally good things but that they're not as good as M50s for their price, but this is a much better deal... Anyways, I've been looking for closed cans since I got my 555s and now I have them so yay!
[sigpic][/sigpic]

Offline AndrewZorn

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #122 on: Fri, 07 January 2011, 23:42:44 »
You guys got me bidding on a used $200 amp.  After I realized it, I was glad I was outbid.

Offline panda-R

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #123 on: Fri, 07 January 2011, 23:51:48 »
$117USD HD595's tommorow! YES!

Offline HaaTa

• Master Kiibohd Hunter
  • Kiibohds!
    • http://kiibohd.com
Headphone Thread.
« Reply #124 on: Fri, 07 January 2011, 23:58:17 »
I have a pair of HD280's, been happy with them. And have lasted the beating of being brought around the world on airplanes, many hours of greyhounds, and such.

To me, they're good enough.
Kiibohd

ALWAYS looking for cool and interesting switches
I take requests for making keyboard converters (i.e. *old keyboard* to USB).

Offline panda-R

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #125 on: Sat, 08 January 2011, 00:22:15 »
the problem i find with headphone amplifiers are that they don't have enough MegaWatts to fry my headphones or make Dr. Walter Jenning glow like a bad ass.

Offline panda-R

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #126 on: Sat, 08 January 2011, 00:31:48 »
nothing is worse than the phantom menace!

Howard the duck is one of those awesome movies that you can't watch when you're older than 8, other wise the awesomeness decreases exponentially with age.

Offline aynjell

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #127 on: Sat, 08 January 2011, 01:33:34 »
Quote from: ripster;275021
Link to the  Gilmore Lite Amp webpage just to say you can't buy it anymore!  

However GS-1s at $900 are still being sold.  Damn those suckers are spendy!
Show Image

GS 1000's?

Offline Conditioned

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #128 on: Sat, 08 January 2011, 02:50:15 »
I´m using the AKG701´s which I kinda hate/love. I love them cause when I plug them into my asus essence stx and change ohm (even though its not really needed but it does add some 'bouncieness' to the sound) they sound really/U] good. But they arent very comfortable imho. Maybe its cause I shave my head.
Antec p183, I5@4.01 ghz, 6Gb Kingston Ram,1200w Corsair psu, Intel 80 gb ssd, 3TB Storage (Seagate), Asus Essence STX with AKG K701, Gigabyte 480 gtx, Dell 2048 WFP 24" + Benq xl2410t 120hz 23,6", Razer Deathadder 3g with Goliathus Control, Netgear Wnr 3500 running Tomato USB w/ 500 gb storage

Offline db_Iodine

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #129 on: Sat, 08 January 2011, 06:55:19 »
Quote from: Conditioned;275065
I´m using the AKG701´s which I kinda hate/love. I love them cause when I plug them into my asus essence stx and change ohm (even though its not really needed but it does add some 'bouncieness' to the sound) they sound really/U] good. But they arent very comfortable imho. Maybe its cause I shave my head.

I shave my head every now and then, and I always have had a very short hair style. Regardless I find the K701's very comfortable, and I can use them for quite long periods sometimes. I have to admit the K601's do seem like they would be even more comfortable, but I haven't had any issue so I'm not about to downgrade.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline ironman31

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #130 on: Sat, 08 January 2011, 07:37:57 »
Quote from: aynjell;275045
GS 1000's?

No. The GS-1 is a Head-Amp headphone amp.
Keyboards:
IBM Model M Space Saving Keyboard (Used), HHKB Pro 2 (White, Lettered), Realforce 87U all-45g in White, Filco Majestouch 2 TKL with Cherry MX Browns, Model F PC/ATNoppoo Choc Mini (MX Browns), Model F XT, IBM Model M 1397735 (bought NIB), (2) Siig Minitouch (GHSS) one with XM, one with complicated ALPs (modded),2 Dell AT101W, Cherry G80-11900HRMUS (modded with MX browns)

Pointing Devices:
Logitech G500, Evoluent VerticalMouse 3, Logitech G5, CST 2545W, Microsoft IntelliMouse Trackball, Logitech M570, Logitech MX revolution

Offline NimbleRabit

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #131 on: Sat, 08 January 2011, 17:26:25 »

ATH-AD700, JVC RX900, and Allesandro MS1.  

Those are my headphones, as well as some IEM's that I don't have a picture of (SoundMagic PL-50).  It's sad how many people with amazing computers, that are on them constantly, aren't willing to spend a little for good peripherals like headphones and keyboards.  Of course, don't be like me and end up with 3 different pairs of headphones that all work just fine.

Offline Keymonger

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #132 on: Sat, 08 January 2011, 18:51:28 »
Quote from: NimbleRabit;275376
It's sad how many people with amazing computers, that are on them constantly, aren't willing to spend a little for good peripherals like headphones and keyboards.  

So true. Of course some people's idea of spending money on a keyboard is buying one with a pointless built-in screen... sigh.

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
Headphone Thread.
« Reply #133 on: Sat, 08 January 2011, 18:57:04 »
Quote from: panda-R;275026
the problem i find with headphone amplifiers are that they don't have enough MegaWatts to fry my headphones or make Dr. Walter Jenning glow like a bad ass.

I got one of these 6-channel Headphone Amplifier with 20W per Channel when my band couldn't hear the monitors:

Linky to buy
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline panda-R

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #134 on: Sun, 09 January 2011, 00:07:06 »
HD595 = awesome. Bass heads steer clear.

Offline db_Iodine

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #135 on: Sun, 09 January 2011, 04:10:53 »
More bass?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline aynjell

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #136 on: Sun, 09 January 2011, 04:39:00 »
Can he still HEAR? D:

Offline db_Iodine

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #137 on: Sun, 09 January 2011, 05:58:19 »
No. He can only feel the bass.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline kamikazekyle

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #138 on: Mon, 10 January 2011, 10:06:10 »
I've been using the Senn 595's for about a week now, sometimes right off the source and sometimes off a uDAC2/FiiO E5 combo.  Love the sound (needs a little rounding out in the low end).  But I've noticed something odd that came about after first listening to the 595's.  It feels like I have inner ear pressure or a head cold.  It's weird.  I can hear everything perfectly fine, and I haven't increased volumes or noticed any less sounds that I've heard before.  I think I'm hearing *more* sounds -- right now I can hear the ticking of my pocket watch in my pocket.

The subjective volume on the 595's is the same as any other headphone or IEM.  I was watching a movie a little last night and I had the volume so low I couldn't distinguish voices.  I checked with my girlfriend and she didn't indicate the volume was too loud.  

I don't have any pressure or pain while using the headphones or any constant source of sound.  More like the pressure/head cold feeling comes about after sound goes to low ambient levels.

I didn't use the headphones for two days, but wasn't paying attention to the ear pressure during that time.

So, aside from the weird ear pressure issue that might/might not be caused by the headphones, I'm liking them.

Offline Jerri

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #139 on: Mon, 10 January 2011, 17:12:46 »
I'm using the Sennheiser PC 360 Headset. For gaming it is ok, if you hear music while you're playing games, i like it, too. But i've to crank the Volume Pot of the Headset, because there must be something like a cap on the Vol Pot, because if you turn the Volume on the headphones down, it creates a stupid loudness effect.
No problem for myself, because on the Breakout Box of the Creative X-Fi Elite Pro you can turn the Master Volume up and down. It's a pitty that i don't have a headphone amplifier yet.

For serious music listening i prefer my old hifi stereo (Infinity Renaissance 90 Speakers + Nakamichi PA-7 Amps).

Cheers

Jerri
You can take the man out of the 80's, but you can't take the 80's out of the man.

Offline CodeChef

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #140 on: Mon, 10 January 2011, 19:14:24 »
"because there must be something like a cap on the Vol Pot, because if you turn the Volume on the headphones down, it creates a stupid loudness effect."

Most improperly-designed volume post do this. In fact, I've never seen it in the audio world, only in guitar electronics. The way to counteract this is called a treble-bleed circuit. It lets the highs pass so the volume pot doesn't cut them.

Also, my 280Pros came! I'm now thinking of selling my 555s because I like the sound of the 280s enough to make them my only cans and I need a closed pair of cans more than I like to be able to hear stuff when I use my open cans at home (and only at home, you can't use them anywhere else)
[sigpic][/sigpic]

Offline JLaz

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #141 on: Mon, 10 January 2011, 21:01:07 »
Hi, long time lurker around here and I would want to ask for advice from you guys.

I am thinking of buying headphones for gaming, music and movies. I will use them with my Asus g72gx. I am a competetive gamer in Starcraft 2 and would want quality sound and comfort. I've been looking at the UE Triplefi 10 pros and ATH-m50. Still torn with the full-size vs earbud thing.

Maybe someone has owned both and I would be glad to hear from you. Maybe you have other suggestions?

Added Info:
I am from the Philippines and the m50s cost as much as the Triplefis here. for around USD200. For the same price, which one would be more suitable for my needs?

Available brands here are Senn, Ultimate Ears, Bose, Koss, AT, Sony, Phillips.

Summary:
1. It has to sound really good(pref just with my laptop and no amp)
2. It has to be closed/isolating
3. It has to portable as I game on-the-go and in tournaments
4. It has to be somewhat comfortable
5. Build quality should be decent

Offline CodeChef

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #142 on: Mon, 10 January 2011, 21:20:21 »
Check out the Sony MDR-V6. They are a classic recommendation as they sound very good all around and have a fairly flat, balanced sound signature. Probably the best choice for your stated use would be the AT-AD700, but those are open-back headphones. If you do look into IEMs (In-ear monitors, the ones that go deep in your ear canal and seal off the outside world) I would suggest Etymotic MC5s or the Phonak PFE... The PFE is probably a better choice as they are (supposed to be) more comfortable, especially over long periods of time.
[sigpic][/sigpic]

Offline JLaz

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #143 on: Mon, 10 January 2011, 21:39:47 »
Thank you for the quick response.

The Sonys ARE classics. Actually, I'm totally sold to the Triplefi as of the moment and my only worry is the cable issues and the socket popping out ( as i have read online). As for availability to me, the Phonaks and Etymotics aren't available. The triplefis cost 200usd here and the Shure, Westone, and Senn IEMs cost around 400usd.

Are the build quality issues too bad? Or are those comments are overstated?

I am really sold to the portability of IEMs and the sound they offer with it unless Full-size headphones are THAT of beast when it comes to sound.

Offline aynjell

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #144 on: Mon, 10 January 2011, 22:54:35 »
For non positional audio, the V6 are amazing. For positional audio, I dig my Shure SRh840's. The best all around deal is the HD555 modded to HD595. IEMs have never impressed me, except for the RE-262 which are not commercially available yet. The monster turbine is about 1/3 of a 262 with a different frequency response curve.

Offline Jerri

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #145 on: Tue, 11 January 2011, 01:54:21 »
Quote from: CodeChef;276365
Most improperly-designed volume post do this. In fact, I've never seen it in the audio world, only in guitar electronics. The way to counteract this is called a treble-bleed circuit. It lets the highs pass so the volume pot doesn't cut them.

NO it's not like a Treble bleed, more like a bass bleed ;). It's really not like that sound correction for low volumes. It's more like a "the kids think this thing has a to weak Bass" (well it's relatively natural).
And if the volumepot is down, the mids almost disappear, too. With the bypassed Pot they sound way more open.

And my guitar doesn't have a treble bleed circuit, only a 500k linear volume Pot. A Marshall is bright enough already, when you play clean with the neck Singlecoil ;)
You can take the man out of the 80's, but you can't take the 80's out of the man.

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
Headphone Thread.
« Reply #146 on: Tue, 11 January 2011, 11:57:08 »
Quote from: Jerri;276310
But i've to crank the Volume Pot of the Headset, because there must be something like a cap on the Vol Pot, because if you turn the Volume on the headphones down, it creates a stupid loudness effect.
What you are hearing there is the interaction of the variable series resistance provided by the volume pot (yeah, it's that primitive) with the frequency-dependent headphone driver impedance. Complex voltage divider. You can go here and plot the impedance curve of, say, a PX100 to get an idea of how it typically looks like. For drivers this size, there typically is a big hump in the bass region which results in said "loudness" effect.
« Last Edit: Tue, 11 January 2011, 12:43:58 by keyb_gr »
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline RoboKrikit

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #147 on: Tue, 11 January 2011, 15:11:08 »
So I didn't order the HD595, even though I posted the Amazon deal a while back.  I put them in my cart and slept on it, and sure enough they were back to normal price the next morning.

I did order the HD555 for less than the HD595 deal price, after reading that they are essentially the same after removing some foam.  At the same time I picked up the Grado SR225i to compare with the SR80i that I got my brother for xmas.

The HD555 is WAY laid back compared to either of the Grados.  I expected the Grados to be bright, and they are, but I like both of them quite a lot.  The HD555 in comparison sounds like listening to speakers hidden behind a heavy curtain or two.  Does the HD595 mod make a ton of difference or should I not bother modding and send these back?  As they sound today, I'm not really even tempted to keep them around as a nice alternative to the Grados when I'm not in the mood for brightness, I'd rather get something with more interesting qualities, even if it means spending more.

That said, the HD555's circumaural pads are VERY comfortable, with both of the supra-aural Grados with either flats/comfies (SR80i) or bowls (SR225i) kinda hard on the ears after a long listening session.  I tried Grado's circumaural G-CUSH pads (designed for the higher-end Grados), and they do feel very comfortable, but the drivers in the SR225i are a very poor match; lows and mids are cut, so I have to increase the volume, but the volume increase makes the highs way too shrill to enjoy.  I just got a pair of the HD414 pads that are pretty comfy, though I prefer the sound of the bowls.

Anyone have the Denon AH-D2000?  I'm thinking of sending back the Sennheisers and picking these up to complement the Grados.  I do listen to a good bit of hip hop that would sound nice with a little more thump, and some of the really edgy and loud metal/rock/rap can grate on the ears a bit with the Grado sound.
Lovely day for a GUINNESS

Offline aynjell

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #148 on: Tue, 11 January 2011, 15:46:15 »
Quote from: RoboKrikit;276940
So I didn't order the HD595, even though I posted the Amazon deal a while back.  I put them in my cart and slept on it, and sure enough they were back to normal price the next morning.

I did order the HD555 for less than the HD595 deal price, after reading that they are essentially the same after removing some foam.  At the same time I picked up the Grado SR225i to compare with the SR80i that I got my brother for xmas.

The HD555 is WAY laid back compared to either of the Grados.  I expected the Grados to be bright, and they are, but I like both of them quite a lot.  The HD555 in comparison sounds like listening to speakers hidden behind a heavy curtain or two.  Does the HD595 mod make a ton of difference or should I not bother modding and send these back?  As they sound today, I'm not really even tempted to keep them around as a nice alternative to the Grados when I'm not in the mood for brightness, I'd rather get something with more interesting qualities, even if it means spending more.

That said, the HD555's circumaural pads are VERY comfortable, with both of the supra-aural Grados with either flats/comfies (SR80i) or bowls (SR225i) kinda hard on the ears after a long listening session.  I tried Grado's circumaural G-CUSH pads (designed for the higher-end Grados), and they do feel very comfortable, but the drivers in the SR225i are a very poor match; lows and mids are cut, so I have to increase the volume, but the volume increase makes the highs way too shrill to enjoy.  I just got a pair of the HD414 pads that are pretty comfy, though I prefer the sound of the bowls.

Anyone have the Denon AH-D2000?  I'm thinking of sending back the Sennheisers and picking these up to complement the Grados.  I do listen to a good bit of hip hop that would sound nice with a little more thump, and some of the really edgy and loud metal/rock/rap can grate on the ears a bit with the Grado sound.

If you prefer the sound of the bowls but the comfort of the HD414, do what I did:

Using the existing hole as a guide on your 414 pads, cut a hole on the opposite side of your 414 pads. Don't worry too much about the actual cleanliness of the hole since it won't be "customer facing". It's actually the hole used to hold the pad to the driver housing now. The old driver housing hole is now the customer facing hole. Enjoy.

The sound is better, more powerful and punchy... and more refined in my opinion. What is more, it's heavier, and ... more? the word more comes to mind. It's fuller, richer, heavier. More engrossing, at least to me.

End result should be similar to something like this!

In regards to your HD555: The differences in audio is a lot like salt, btw. A pinch of salt by itself tastes terrible, but a pinch of salt in a dinner sized helping can make all the difference. The mod is about like a pinch of salt in your dinner. It doesn't completely transform the dish, but it does add to it, and in this case a bit more of what's already there. It brings out some of the detail and increases the sound-staging, so I hear. Bottom line: If you don't like them now, send them back.
« Last Edit: Tue, 11 January 2011, 16:15:52 by aynjell »

Offline MissileMike

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #149 on: Tue, 11 January 2011, 15:54:32 »
I have used a pair of grado sr60's for many years.  Maybe it's time for a new set :)
BS: 5 Space Savers  ||  9 42H  ||  10 1391401 or similar  ||  1x 1390131  || AT&T 305b  ||  Dell Model M
Cherry: Leopold FC200RC/AB  ||  3 Ducky 1087  ||  PLU ML87 ||  Cherry G80-8113LUVEU-2  browns
Alps: Filco Zero Tenkeyless (fukka)  ||  ABS M1  ||  3x Dell AT101w  ||  Ancer KF-191  ||  6 Vivanco Compact
Misc: NMB RT6855T+  ||  NMB RT101 Space Invader  ||  Dell Quietkey  ||  Ge Fanuc Industrial Metal