Author Topic: Help with Dolch Pac 61 Pinout for PS/2 conversion  (Read 3299 times)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
Help with Dolch Pac 61 Pinout for PS/2 conversion
« on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 15:46:41 »
So I want to convert my Dolch Pac 61 to PS/2, but before I do, I want to make sure I have the pinout correct.

With USB, I'm used to this color:

Red = VCC
White = D-
Green = D+
Black = GND

Per the discussion in simple questions, simple answers, the typical pinout for older Cherry boards is:

White = GND
Black = VCC
Green = Clock
Data = Yellow

Unfortunately, mine doesn't have yellow, but red instead, so I'm trying to figure out what's what.  I know you can test with a multimeter, but I have no clue where to test on the PCB to see.  So here's the pics I have to try and get some help.  Thanks.

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
Re: Help with Dolch Pac 61 Pinout for PS/2 conversion
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 15:53:50 »
I did this with the help of Raccoon a few months back, I'll go look at mine and check for you

PS2 on the HFX is really nice, works fine, but beware, DO NOT HOTPLUG OR YOU WILL FRY THE CONTROLLER, you have to plug the keyboard in while the PC is off, then reset it, and everything will be safe

Hotplugging works fine on every PS2/DIN keyboard I've ever used, except for this one, which was converted to PS2 from it's original connection

Offline codyeatworld

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 16:07:06 »
DO NOT HOTPLUG OR YOU WILL FRY THE CONTROLLER, you have to plug the keyboard in while the PC is off, then reset it, and everything will be safe

Hotplugging works fine on every PS2/DIN keyboard I've ever used, except for this one, which was converted to PS2 from it's original connection

Seriously? Maybe thats why mine never worked...

I think I made a thread about this a while ago. I'll look.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 16:09:58 »
I did this with the help of Raccoon a few months back, I'll go look at mine and check for you

PS2 on the HFX is really nice, works fine, but beware, DO NOT HOTPLUG OR YOU WILL FRY THE CONTROLLER, you have to plug the keyboard in while the PC is off, then reset it, and everything will be safe

Thanks man.  I know you're never supposed to hotplug PS/2 as it is, but with that kind of risk, I may just do a conversion to USB so I don't have to worry about anyone doing that and ruining the board.

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 16:12:18 »
« Last Edit: Sat, 07 June 2014, 16:14:56 by Dubsgalore »

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 16:14:30 »
Thanks man.  I know you're never supposed to hotplug PS/2 as it is, but with that kind of risk, I may just do a conversion to USB so I don't have to worry about anyone doing that and ruining the board.

Hotplugging is honestly fine for PS2 and even DIN->PS2 adapted boards. But the 'traditional' plug-in rules for PS2 should really, really be followed for if you solder on a PS2 cable.

With some boards sometimes, you'll have to reset after hotplugging because some functions that require you to hold down buttons won't work at normal speeds. for example, holding backspace may just delete characters half as fast as it would normally. A quick reset fixes this.

Seriously? Maybe thats why mine never worked...

I think I made a thread about this a while ago. I'll look.

Have your PC be off, or in Sleep. Plug the PS2 cable in, then turn on the computer/wake it up, reset the computer and then it should be functioning 100%

Hotplug a 1813HFX straight away and well.....RIP :X

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 21:40:10 »
Did you pop it open Dubs?

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 22:11:02 »
Did you pop it open Dubs?

lemmie snap some pics for you - sorry forgot about this

(actually went to get it yesterday, but found ants in my room right under that keyboard so I switched focus to killing them)

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 22:19:35 »

hopefully this helps? - I cant remember which is which..but this worked great until I hotplugged it
« Last Edit: Sun, 08 June 2014, 22:21:14 by Dubsgalore »

Offline codyeatworld

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 09 June 2014, 01:18:39 »
Here is that thread:

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=42781

I had a 64 but they look the same.

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 10 June 2014, 17:47:34 »
Not sure if this thread would be much help, but this Korean guy converted his Dolch from RJ11 to USB. You would probably have to follow the wires, and not rely on colour coding.
http://www.kbdmania.net/xe/tipandtech/8377031
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent