Author Topic: Bluetooth QFR  (Read 1650 times)

Offline themitch22

Bluetooth QFR
« on: Thu, 19 June 2014, 19:05:03 »
So I bought a Handheld Scientific bluetooth adapter hoping I could hack it into the case of my Quickfire Rapid. I plugged it in and it would not pair to my devices. Emailed Handheld Sci and they said it might be because the polling rate is too high.

Since there really isn't an easy solution I've found several ways people have done this, usually hacking together a teensy and some sort of bluetooth HID module. I don't know how USB keyboard protocols work or how bluetooth HID works. I know I'm beating a dead horse but is there a very detailed surefire way to do this?

What about the Adafuit Bluefruit module with an Arduino Mini like in the Model M tutorial, but instead of old Ps/2 I'd be interfacing with a modern USB controller. Also I noticed it will only do it in BIOS mode which I'm not sure it would affect the FN keys and special features of the keyboard.

I hope someone can explain to me in layman terms how to convert my quickfire rapid into a bluetooth keyboard.

Offline Smasher816

• HHKB Master
Re: Bluetooth QFR
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 20 June 2014, 14:29:36 »
Once I get some time I will write up a fairly detailed guide on turning a teensy powered keyboard into a bluetooth one.

The setup should be the same for any keyboard. You just have to figure out how to connect the Teensy to your keyboard and program the firmware for your pinout. Depending on the keyboard this may already be done for you. If not you will have to do more leg room.

I know the QFR rapid has a replacement controller (HID Liberation), but I have not heard of anyone using a teensy with it yet.

Offline bcg

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 21 June 2014, 09:40:15 »
It might even be possible to design a small circuit to function as an external converter that fits inside of the "well" where the USB mini plug is... I have a Quick Fire Stealth which I assume has the same form factor and hardware.  I have a ps/2 converter using hasu's firmware that works perfectly with it, and if you just add a small charging IC, boost converter, battery, and a bluefruit/rn-42 you should be good to go.  Might have to design your own circuit board though to get into a small enough space to fit inside of that space tho
:wq!

Offline themitch22

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 22 June 2014, 12:28:06 »
Thanks. So far I probably can get a Teensy++ and map it using these pinouts

http://deskthority.net/wiki/Controller_matrix_traces#CM_Storm_Quick_Fire_Rapid.2FStealth

I know how to do arduino programming, but not sure how to make it work, is there firmware for a Teensy++ and the Quickfire rapid already?

Also if I order a Bluefruit EZ-key, how hard would it be to interface with the Teensy? I want to make sure I'm ordering the right parts.

I also started paining my case and keys (looking into wood veneers as well for an added touch) so it's going to turn out very nice when I'm done.

Offline Smasher816

• HHKB Master
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 22 June 2014, 19:03:22 »
TMK already has most of the firmware done. Just copy a similar keyboard and change the matrix.c file. The ez-key usues simple serial commands and it already supported - look at bcg's make file for help. Besides the teensy and ez-key the only hardware you need is related to power (lipo battery, charger+booster), and of course some wires and soldering gear.

If you need any help with the software side feel free to post in the TMK thread or pm me. I can't speak for the but I'm sure bcg and Hasu would also be open to helping. Good luck.

Offline themitch22

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 22 June 2014, 19:40:29 »
Thanks! I ordered the teensy++ and bluefruit and lipo charger from adafruit and I'll look into the TMK firmware.

Also do you think a Blackberry trackball would make a good mouse? https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9320