Author Topic: TheVan Keyboards Halloween Sale BananaSplit R2,Retro60,8Bit,White Powder Minivan  (Read 41635 times)

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan

Reading your posts at a coffee shop right now, typing away on my BananaSplit  :thumb:

Offline sevenseacat

Holy cow, a kilogram of pure metal case. That's amazing.

Offline sevenseacat

Also holy cow - $22 to ship the Banana Split to Australia :/

I'm not sure I can justify $140 AUD for just a PCB and plate...
« Last Edit: Mon, 06 November 2017, 04:32:38 by sevenseacat »

Offline dodgeyhack

Also holy cow - $22 to ship the Banana Split to Australia :/

I'm not sure I can justify $140 AUD for just a PCB and plate...

$40 once you add a case hehe. I've already placed my order but if you're in Sydney we could perhaps combine? PM me if you're interested.

Offline sevenseacat

$40 once you add a case hehe. I've already placed my order but if you're in Sydney we could perhaps combine? PM me if you're interested.

Perth here, so it probably wouldn't help, lol. Thanks for the offer though.

Offline child

What is the weight of blood wood retro60? I'm really interested aesthetic-wise, but I'm afraid it could move on my desk, which I would hate.

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
What is the weight of blood wood retro60? I'm really interested aesthetic-wise, but I'm afraid it could move on my desk, which I would hate.

I haven’t had any issues with it moving on my desk. It’s going to be at NorCal meetup today.

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
I started looking through some case compatibility in regards to the BananaSplit USB C. Looks like your standard low profile gh60 cases work, hammer clone cases work, and the standard plastic cases work as well. All of these you can find on aliexpress. Playing around with more custom cases the Tina hole cutout was a little small. A little filing opened it up and now it works with R2 revision pcb.

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
If anyone wants to play around with the configurator here is the link: qmk.thevankeyboards.com

Offline Denisgsv

will it have the pok3r layout ? i have a few of those cases laying around

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan

Is it any different from standard 60 hole mounting? Post pics if you have any and I can confirm fitment :)

Offline dodgeyhack

Is it any different from standard 60 hole mounting? Post pics if you have any and I can confirm fitment :)

No, it's the same. I've had a pok3r board and banana split board in the same case - though I've never actually put anything else into the pok3r case. The good news is the pok3r plate is wider than the banana split plate by 1-2mm so there'll be plenty of room.

Offline Sputnik

I started looking through some case compatibility in regards to the BananaSplit USB C. Looks like your standard low profile gh60 cases work, hammer clone cases work, and the standard plastic cases work as well. All of these you can find on aliexpress. Playing around with more custom cases the Tina hole cutout was a little small. A little filing opened it up and now it works with R2 revision pcb.

Am I wrong or you bought the KBDfans 5 deg. case? Did you get it? What about compatibility with BS R2? I red there are no issues with R1 PCBs apart a little misallignament with the side mounting points, but I'm waiting for a R2 one, so...
Thanks in advance man (and sorry for my bad english...)

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan

Am I wrong or you bought the KBDfans 5 deg. case? Did you get it? What about compatibility with BS R2? I red there are no issues with R1 PCBs apart a little misallignament with the side mounting points, but I'm waiting for a R2 one, so...
Its on the way supposedly someone already put a round one in that case and it seems to fit.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan

Its on the way supposedly someone already put a round one in that case and it seems to fit.

To add on round 2 side holes have been fixed :). There shouldn't be any alignment issues.

Offline Sputnik

To add on round 2 side holes have been fixed :). There shouldn't be any alignment issues.

:D Thanks

Offline PRkeys

Ordered my BananaSplit v2. Will be my first MK build so I can't wait. First post here too after being a long time lurker

Offline Sputnik

I'm a little boring, I know..... Did you receive your case? (Nice, isn't it?) Any issues with usb C connector? There's some debate on this in KBDfans case GB thread.
Thanks in advance

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan

I'm a little boring, I know..... Did you receive your case? (Nice, isn't it?) Any issues with usb C connector? There's some debate on this in KBDfans case GB thread.
Thanks in advance

I still have not recieved it it's in Compton and I live in SD, with the current fires looks like it'll probably take a little longer. I can see it in not being fully compatible with the R1 revision but it should be fully compatible with r2.

Offline Sputnik

Thanks in advance

I still have not recieved it it's in Compton and I live in SD, with the current fires looks like it'll probably take a little longer. I can see it in not being fully compatible with the R1 revision but it should be fully compatible with r2.

C'mon, it's only about 2 hours by car...... I saw some satellite pics of that fire: it's really scaring anyway.....speaking about usb C connector, I measured the hole in the case and it's 12 mm. large, so, if the hole is properly aligned, there should be no problems (if I'm not wrong the C type connector is 8.5 mm.....)
Waiting for your updates  :thumb:

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan

Thanks in advance

C'mon, it's only about 2 hours by car...... I saw some satellite pics of that fire: it's really scaring anyway.....speaking about usb C connector, I measured the hole in the case and it's 12 mm. large, so, if the hole is properly aligned, there should be no problems (if I'm not wrong the C type connector is 8.5 mm.....)
Waiting for your updates  :thumb:
It fits I'll post some pics when i get back home. But i currently have a bananasplit sitting in it :)

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan

BananaSplit60 R2, Split 7u in a KBDFans 5 degree case.

Sporting JTK Purple on White R2 :)

Enjoy!

Offline Sputnik

BananaSplit60 R2, Split 7u in a KBDFans 5 degree case.

Sporting JTK Purple on White R2 :)

Enjoy!

:thumb: :D You're my hero! Now I need that BS R2 as soon as possible, is it in production yet?
(Purple power over there in SOCAL....)

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
We're starting to place orders with our manufacturers :)

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter

Thanks in advance

It's compatible enough.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=91584.msg2527315#msg2527315

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
If anyone is wondering gmk screw in stabilizers work with R1 and R2 bananasplit pcb's :). I highly recommend them

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
Are you anticipating any extras?  I just put together my R1, and definitely want an R2.

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
Are you anticipating any extras?  I just put together my R1, and definitely want an R2.
We are buying a lot of extra pcbs

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
How's things going?

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
How's things going?

Everything is still on track. Orders have been placed.  :thumb:

Offline mdaly001

I am so sad I missed this buy... Are y'all planning on listing the extra pcbs somewhere for sale?

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan

I am so sad I missed this buy... Are y'all planning on listing the extra pcbs somewhere for sale?

Yes sir we'll have extras up for sale on our site, after we ship out the original gb orders.

Offline mdaly001

Yes sir we'll have extras up for sale on our site, after we ship out the original gb orders.
Sawweeeet. Thanks!

Offline bitzie

If anyone wants to play around with the configurator here is the link: qmk.thevankeyboards.com

This almost makes the waiting worse!

Although since I have everything else ready and waiting I should probably figure out how to setup the firmware for it once it gets here. This will be my first actual build. Very excited!

Offline Zobeid Zuma

Is there any ETA yet?

I was just looking at QMK layouts for the Banana Split.  I figured I'd take the default layout and start modifying it to my liking.  I didn't get past the top row.  I want to use the split backspace, so my top row has 15 keys, but the default layout only has 14 codes there!  Then I go back to config.h and see that it defines a 14×5 matrix.  So how does the split backspace key even work?

But wait, it gets better!  I went to look at the "hhkbanana" layout, and it actually lists 15 codes on the top row.  And yet, I don't see where it redefines the size of the array anywhere.  How does that work?

Offline azulyf

Any update with 8bit XDA set?

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
BananaSplits should be going out in a week, 8Bit will be ready in about a month.  :thumb:

Offline sleepybrett

timeframe on the retro0s?

Offline bitzie

BananaSplits should be going out in a week, 8Bit will be ready in about a month.  :thumb:

Woohoo! So excited for my BananaSplit build!  ;D

Offline ChicagoTed

timeframe on the retro0s?

Mine was delivered yesterday

Offline MikeTheTiger

Any idea when extras will be available for the BananaSplit R2?

Offline dodgeyhack

Got my Zebra Retro 60 today. It's not awful, but I'm disappointed to be honest. It was billed as being 'about as high end as you can get' after all.
It's a bit wobbly - the whole case seems twisted which looks a bit odd as the gaps between key and case are uneven, and the backspace rubs the case. It's also a bit rough around the edges. I might try giving it a sand and a stain. I'm reminded that I do like typing in a wood case though - I also have a kbdfans one from a while back that is also wobbly, but it's better finished and cost a hell of a lot less.
« Last Edit: Thu, 08 February 2018, 04:44:49 by dodgeyhack »

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
Got my Zebra Retro 60 today. It's not awful, but I'm disappointed to be honest. It was billed as being 'about as high end as you can get' after all.
It's a bit wobbly - the whole case seems twisted which looks a bit odd as the gaps between key and case are uneven, and the backspace rubs the case. It's also a bit rough around the edges. I might try giving it a sand and a stain. I'm reminded that I do like typing in a wood case though - I also have a kbdfans one from a while back that is also wobbly, but it's better finished and cost a hell of a lot less.

Well that is unfortunate sounding.  Can you post some photos?  I love my KBDfans wooden case.  I had to put a piece of foam under one corner to keep it from wobbling, but I never felt like the whole case was warped.  I also have a case from royal glam that I despise.  Bad fit and bad finish.  I would have thought the retro60 would have been pretty awesome for the price it was listed, especially the finish.

Offline Zobeid Zuma

My Banana Split 60 kits arrived in the mail this morning.  Woohoo!  My first impression upon examining them is good, very good, with one little nitpick.  The steel mounting plate shows no evidence of any polishing or deburring; it's rough as a cob.  The plates from Round 1 were like that, and when I mentioned it I was informed that the Round 2 plates would be "much improved".  Well, it looks like the same part to me.  I'm sure it'll work Just Fine, but the steel plate I got from KBDfans for my DZ60 wasn't rough like this.

As luck would happen, I also got my version 2 of the DZ60 with the USB Type C option and a brass mounting plate just last week.  Anybody want a side-by-side comparison review?  It looks like I have a lot of building to do now!

Offline jmdaly

As luck would happen, I also got my version 2 of the DZ60 with the USB Type C option and a brass mounting plate just last week.  Anybody want a side-by-side comparison review?  It looks like I have a lot of building to do now!

I'd love to hear your comparison and impressions! I'm typing this on a Rev 2 DZ60, and am waiting for the arrival of my rev. 2 BananaSplits. If you have the means and the inclination, I'd be interested to know if your Rev. 2 DZ60 works in a USB-C to USB-C configuration (e.g. plugged directly into a host with USB-C). I haven't been able to get mine to work in that configuration, although KBDFans assured me that it would. It sounds like the BananaSplits will definitely work in that configuration.

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan

I'd love to hear your comparison and impressions! I'm typing this on a Rev 2 DZ60, and am waiting for the arrival of my rev. 2 BananaSplits. If you have the means and the inclination, I'd be interested to know if your Rev. 2 DZ60 works in a USB-C to USB-C configuration (e.g. plugged directly into a host with USB-C). I haven't been able to get mine to work in that configuration, although KBDFans assured me that it would. It sounds like the BananaSplits will definitely work in that configuration.

C to C will work :D

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
My Banana Split 60 kits arrived in the mail this morning.  Woohoo!  My first impression upon examining them is good, very good, with one little nitpick.  The steel mounting plate shows no evidence of any polishing or deburring; it's rough as a cob.  The plates from Round 1 were like that, and when I mentioned it I was informed that the Round 2 plates would be "much improved".  Well, it looks like the same part to me.  I'm sure it'll work Just Fine, but the steel plate I got from KBDfans for my DZ60 wasn't rough like this.

As for the improvements we were targeting the actual design of the plate, making it more rigid and have less flex. We were quite happy with the original material.

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan

That's just the nature of wood, also seeing that you're from Australia I'm not surprised the wood may have warped because of the humidity. Feel free to contact evan for a replacement, although if you already tampered with it not much can be done.

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
Hey everyone just wanted to make an update. This is actually pretty bittersweet for me. This is the final round of the BananaSplit. Me and Evan decided we can’t compete with other clones without making sacrifices to our quality. We believed that our product went beyond the features and qualities in the service we provided to our customers. I can’t thank my supporters enough you’ve truly made the BananaSplit an amazing experience for me. To most of you it’s a simple 60 percent with some nice tweaks. To me it holds way more value. It’s been an amazing learning experience for me with Evan taking me under his wing. I can’t thank him enough to just trust a random 18 year old he met at a meetup with a vision. He’s a life long friend and that’s something I’ll cherish and always takeaway from this endeavor. I’m sorry the past couples months I haven’t been as involved as I would have liked to. To put it simply. I got burnt out, and life decided to get in my way. This isn’t the end of me, I have more projects planned. If anyone has any questions or just wants to shoot the **** with me about anything feel free to PM me on reddit. Thank you to everyone at TheVan Keyboards and a big thanks to all my supporters. It’s been fun.

Offline Zobeid Zuma

To most of you it’s a simple 60 percent with some nice tweaks.

To me it's "endgame" material, and it's disappointing to hear this news before I've even had a chance to build one.