Author Topic: Pranks in da Hood: funny or racist?  (Read 3163 times)

Offline Lanx

Pranks in da Hood: funny or racist?
« on: Sun, 17 August 2014, 02:06:26 »
tldr: non black ppl are targeting black ppl in "the ghetto" or "da hood" with pranks that will get a really big reaction in order to get high youtube views.

so these kids who are not black, 1 looks white but they're pakistani go up to black ppl in the projects and ask them a loaded question.

"do you got gats?" and try to sell water guns.

"what time is it?" and take their phone of their hands

the fact that they are still alive to this day befuddles me.

these neighborhoods are scary, probably 20 years ago i'd be near a neighborhood like this picking up a friend so we can hang, but my spidey sense was always off the charts.

lets just see what you guys think.

oh these kids live in bay ridge btw, totally nice and safe neighborhood, actually babysat my nephews here lots, i only know about them cuz, they're causing a ruckus in brooklyn, i think the daily news even said cops told them to stop, or they'll be killed soon.

they go and pull ppls pants up, which of course leads to bad things

they go around asking ppl if they have a problem (that they can solve)

they just go and take ppls phone to check the time

Offline StylinGreymon

• Keyboard Hipstar
Re: Pranks in da Hood: funny or racist?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 17 August 2014, 02:13:37 »
Racist?
Of course not.

Absolutely silly?
Oh yeah.
If today had been a hippo, then you'd really have to worry about tomorrow.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 17 August 2014, 02:26:10 »
Wow....these guys are really, really dumb.

Offline RED-404

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 17 August 2014, 02:26:56 »
I'm just going to go with I'm white, hell I look like Gimly and most of the time if you try this crap on me and I don't know you, you're getting hit something hard.

Offline StylinGreymon

• Keyboard Hipstar
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 17 August 2014, 02:35:48 »
Wow....these guys are really, really dumb.
Like fo' real.
If today had been a hippo, then you'd really have to worry about tomorrow.

Offline paicrai

• Actually a Jane Austen novel
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 17 August 2014, 03:09:58 »
funny? no
racist? no
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 17 August 2014, 03:48:43 »
Not racist. But I do think it is pretty stupid.

I can tolerate some levels of stupidity if it is legitimately funny. But the biggest problem I have with this is that it is not funny at all. I imagine the only reason people watch this is to see if they get slapped. It is not even intended to be funny. They actually try to get a negative reaction out of people, and when they do, they put it on youtube ("look at how hood these people are"). Look at the comment section. Full of people going "black people ruined America" and all other kinds of negative things. That is because, to get views, these guys do not mind how bad they make others look, or what the consequences of their actions are.

You can do pranks where the people you are playing the prank on can laugh about it. But they are just being annoying and unpleasant to people. You do not have to go to the "hood" for people to be annoyed at some random guy grabbing them around the waist and pulling up their pants. Hell, you can come here to Holland and go to the nicest neighborhood you can find and you will still find people ready to put you in an armlock when it looks like you are trying to steal their phone. Anything for youtube views I guess. Embarrassing.
« Last Edit: Sun, 17 August 2014, 04:07:41 by Grim Fandango »
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 17 August 2014, 03:59:58 »
Dude come on, these are set up as propaganda against black people. It's pretty obviously done is such a way as to portray people of urban origin as irrational and violent.

Even you starting this thread is just another way of eliciting the exact reaction they are looking for, unless you are racist and just posting this thread in hopes that we're all totally blind to this kinda propaganda bull****.

Offline divito

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 17 August 2014, 04:50:44 »
Not racist, but definitely stupid. Some really bad things could have happened over something that's really not all that funny.
Varmilo (MX Grey) KeyCool 87 (MX Clear) Quickfire Stealth (MX Green)

Offline intelli78

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 17 August 2014, 06:22:17 »
As others have said, not racist, but really stupid and not funny either. It's just a matter of time before one of these idiots is seriously injured or killed.
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 17 August 2014, 06:48:35 »
death wish much.
{WTT}HoffNudes(WTS)BLK LightSaverV2         
"#baby****fangerz" -Vesper 2015

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 17 August 2014, 15:25:48 »
Dude come on, these are set up as propaganda against black people. It's pretty obviously done is such a way as to portray people of urban origin as irrational and violent.

Even you starting this thread is just another way of eliciting the exact reaction they are looking for, unless you are racist and just posting this thread in hopes that we're all totally blind to this kinda propaganda bull****.

Pretty much this.  First off, they're not pranks, they're just guys being ****s to people and saying "it's a prank dude, it's a prank, don't beat the **** out of me".  It's like the kid you knew growing up who would spit on your food, trip you, or do other cruel things and say it's a prank.

In this case, the racism comes from the fact that they know this is a largely powerless demographic that doesn't really have a way to retaliate against them outside of violence.  It's no different than blackface comedy.  They're trying to turn black people into a caricature and laugh at the "poor black people", mocking them.  They're an empowered demographic making fun of a disempowered group, at that groups expense, in order to try and get cheap laughs or show them as being violent.

If you think this isn't racist, ask yourself this, why aren't they doing "pranks" like this in affluent neighborhoods?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 17 August 2014, 16:36:09 »
^^ because the cops would actually care in affluent neighborhoods

Offline paicrai

• Actually a Jane Austen novel
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 17 August 2014, 16:41:19 »
someone just pop a cap in these ****s
also how far can they stretch the word "prank" i mean some of these "prank" videos out there are like "i killed your mom and ****ed your dog but hey it was just a prank man im absolved of my sins"
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 17 August 2014, 17:02:18 »
im gonna roll with dumb

these are people just like us, and they've been raised in "da hood"

when you go and try to fight them, they're ready

someone did this at the project 3 blocks from my house and got the **** beat out of them

it was hilarious

"it's a prank" is never a good excuse
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Lanx

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 08:43:14 »
of course this is racist, i don't see how many of you don't see it that way.

first they're targeting a demographic, lets just be real and say they're trying to target and get the elicit reactions of as many black people as possible, this much HAS to be obvious to ppl? if not, please figure out why you don't see this.

this demographic is largely based in less affluent neighborhoods, in a sense we can say every demographic is segregated by wealth or lack there of.

they're saying, "we gotta film kangaroos, cuz boxing kangaroos are funny, where are we gonna find them? in the UK? nope we gotta goto australia cuz thats where they're all deported to"

look they, themselves live in bay ridge, a nice neighborhood you can freely walk in... full of white ppl and a mix of minorities, they could very well do these "pranks" in their own hood, but they wouldn't get the same kind of reactions, so they have to travel the "bad parts of town"

they're targeting a demographic to get a specific reaction.

goto Redneck america with a sign, "i love ISIS" and wave a black flag, will be a vastly different reaction than doing it in denver co.

Offline Lurch

• The only good system is a sound system.
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 09:07:02 »
*Lurch sighs
Quote from: Flyersfan1
im so glad you've stopped flipping the spacebar

Offline divito

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 09:16:19 »
of course this is racist, i don't see how many of you don't see it that way.

first they're targeting a demographic, lets just be real and say they're trying to target and get the elicit reactions of as many black people as possible, this much HAS to be obvious to ppl? if not, please figure out why you don't see this.

this demographic is largely based in less affluent neighborhoods, in a sense we can say every demographic is segregated by wealth or lack there of.

they're saying, "we gotta film kangaroos, cuz boxing kangaroos are funny, where are we gonna find them? in the UK? nope we gotta goto australia cuz thats where they're all deported to"

look they, themselves live in bay ridge, a nice neighborhood you can freely walk in... full of white ppl and a mix of minorities, they could very well do these "pranks" in their own hood, but they wouldn't get the same kind of reactions, so they have to travel the "bad parts of town"

they're targeting a demographic to get a specific reaction.

goto Redneck america with a sign, "i love ISIS" and wave a black flag, will be a vastly different reaction than doing it in denver co.

It's pretty easy to not see it as racist, and that's because it's not. And you summed up why yourself, "they're targeting a demographic to get a specific reaction." Is it discriminatory? Sure. Is it purely based on baiting a group of individuals? Absolutely. But you can do a ton of pranks in a lot of different ways to incite poor or violent reaction of all different races, backgrounds and geographic reasons.

Calling it racist is just inflammatory.
Varmilo (MX Grey) KeyCool 87 (MX Clear) Quickfire Stealth (MX Green)

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 09:20:05 »
**** new york
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 09:26:20 »
It's fun to watch stupid people get the **** beat out of them. Maybe they will up the ante and actually win a Darwin award. ;)
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 10:21:07 »
The thing is they're not even really in the "ghetto", just slightly less affluent neighborhoods
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 15:16:51 »
If somebody came up to me and tried to pull up my pants, I would think they are attacking me and trying to steal something from me.  I would try to defend myself.  Although I don't understand the whole low-riding things.

If some random person tried to take my $400 phone out of my hands, you bet I would start wailing on them until I got it back.

I would take a little more humor to the math nerd thing, though.

These kids just want some attention for trying to be funny, and the internet is giving it to them.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 16:57:49 »
**** new york

it's not even a new york thing
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 17:00:02 »
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.