Author Topic: [GB] SKB75, SKB65 & SKB60 / GB CONCLUDED  (Read 370578 times)

Offline depletedvespene

• Old, used-up vespene geyser.
    • Keyboard-related resources.
Re: [GB] SKB75, SKB65 & SKB60 (in production)
« Reply #850 on: Fri, 26 April 2019, 20:58:58 »
Hey PlastikSchnittstelle, I've ordered a 60% hhkb layout but would like a standard 60%. Would I be able to get a swap?

I really have to get that Alps plate going now :D
Would you be able to share with me the plate file? I would love to make an alps build!

Interesting question. I have a few more or less rather wacky ideas for layouts (all within the size and shape of a "proper" 75%), and custom-made (single layout) plates to support custom PCBs would be a great thing to have... and to mount on the SKB75.

Offline Data

« Reply #851 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 07:25:26 »
now I have all of it!
damn, just a small box of of steel plates feels so much heavier than a big box with alu case parts.
happy with the NOT shiny plates.
Sweet Jesus... that's a lot of plates!

Offline Zuology

• Why does this rabbit-hole have so many side-quests
« Reply #852 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 07:55:54 »
now I have all of it!
damn, just a small box of of steel plates feels so much heavier than a big box with alu case parts.
happy with the NOT shiny plates.

:eek: :eek: :eek: Hope you get some help sorting all those out!
More
75%: Scarlet Bandana (TBD) | Singa75 Polycarb (TBD) | SKB75 (TBD) | YMD75 (Box Navy) | XD84 (Outemu Ice) | Plum84 (BKE Redux Heavy)
TKL: ALF X1.1 SE (TBD) | LZ Iron White (TBD) | Fox Labs Orange (TBD) | Alu WASDv2 (Cherry Green) | MechkeyAlpha MA87 (Kailh Box Burnt Orange) | Archon RE:AL Superior EX (Nopre 65g)
Full+: Clueboard Double 1800 (Vint Clears) | IBM Model M | IBM Model F XT

Offline TOZZIL

« Reply #853 on: Tue, 30 April 2019, 06:35:34 »

Great the see the boards have been delivered! I really have to get that Alps plate going now :D

I am also interested in the file(s) for an Alps plate. Did you ask Plastikschnittstelle to make it for you?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Raptor Gaming K1 with GhettoReds

Offline PlastikSchnittstelle

« Reply #854 on: Tue, 30 April 2019, 07:12:15 »
Here you can see the three ALPS plates I did so far. I can't remember the details about those plates, but I'm sure the ones of you I did them for do know ;)
218259-0
The guys that these were made for are aware that they have to use 1.2mm instead of the standard 1.5mm.

For those who didn't notice jet, everybody taking part in this GB can just PM me if you want a DXF of your custom plate. I did quite a few so far. If there is one of you who asked me for one but hasen't gotten it jet, please just PM me again, I might have forgotten about one or two of you  :-[
« Last Edit: Tue, 30 April 2019, 07:14:01 by PlastikSchnittstelle »

Offline depletedvespene

« Reply #855 on: Tue, 30 April 2019, 10:22:32 »
Here you can see the three ALPS plates I did so far. I can't remember the details about those plates, but I'm sure the ones of you I did them for do know ;)
(Attachment Link)
The guys that these were made for are aware that they have to use 1.2mm instead of the standard 1.5mm.

For those who didn't notice jet, everybody taking part in this GB can just PM me if you want a DXF of your custom plate. I did quite a few so far. If there is one of you who asked me for one but hasen't gotten it jet, please just PM me again, I might have forgotten about one or two of you  :-[

Waitasec... let's see if I understand this correctly. You take requests for the design of a (1.2mm) custom plate, to be fit into an SKB75 or an SKB60 case. You'll produce a DXF file that I can later send off to, say, laserboost, so they'll do the cutting, and send the plate back to me. I will then be able to mount the switches on the plate, handwire them to a controller and then get my totally custom 75% layout. Right?

If so, when this GB is done and you've taken proper rest, I'll be asking you to do a plate for me. If it should please you. :thumb:

Offline Zuology

« Reply #856 on: Tue, 30 April 2019, 11:11:17 »
(Attachment Link)

Waitasec... let's see if I understand this correctly. You take requests for the design of a (1.2mm) custom plate, to be fit into an SKB75 or an SKB60 case. You'll produce a DXF file that I can later send off to, say, laserboost, so they'll do the cutting, and send the plate back to me. I will then be able to mount the switches on the plate, handwire them to a controller and then get my totally custom 75% layout. Right?

If so, when this GB is done and you've taken proper rest, I'll be asking you to do a plate for me. If it should please you. :thumb:

Yeah, it's pretty damned unreasonable how reasonable and helpful PlastikSchnittstelle is! ;D
The sheer nerve of him to run this expansive GB with so many stock options AND offer help with files to make CUSTOM parts that don't benefit him at all, but help the buyers and users of his product!!  ;D ;D
Next thing you know the jerk will be giving away free boards to people just because he's nice and generous!!! Oh wait... ;D ;D ;D
More
75%: Scarlet Bandana (TBD) | Singa75 Polycarb (TBD) | SKB75 (TBD) | YMD75 (Box Navy) | XD84 (Outemu Ice) | Plum84 (BKE Redux Heavy)
TKL: ALF X1.1 SE (TBD) | LZ Iron White (TBD) | Fox Labs Orange (TBD) | Alu WASDv2 (Cherry Green) | MechkeyAlpha MA87 (Kailh Box Burnt Orange) | Archon RE:AL Superior EX (Nopre 65g)

Offline depletedvespene

« Reply #857 on: Tue, 30 April 2019, 13:03:35 »
Yeah, it's pretty damned unreasonable how reasonable and helpful PlastikSchnittstelle is! ;D
The sheer nerve of him to run this expansive GB with so many stock options AND offer help with files to make CUSTOM parts that don't benefit him at all, but help the buyers and users of his product!!  ;D ;D
Next thing you know the jerk will be giving away free boards to people just because he's nice and generous!!! Oh wait... ;D ;D ;D

Yeah! How dare you, PlastikSchnittstelle? I'm gonna have to give you a stern look of disapprov... er... admiration. Dude, you're the best. :)

Offline synchromatik

« Reply #858 on: Tue, 30 April 2019, 13:07:59 »
i am changing location in the meantime, same town - is it possible to change delivery address still?

happy everything is done! are you happy with how they came thru?

Offline ojrask

• juuh elikkäs
« Reply #859 on: Tue, 30 April 2019, 14:30:56 »
Will be moving at the end of next month. Any idea whether these start shipping and such before that?
Current:
    Ducky DK9008P [MX Blues] | WASD V2 TKL [MX Blues] | r63 (Satan 60% DIY) [Gateron Browns] | BananaSplit 60% [Gateron Greens] | UK78 [67g Zealios] | Infinity ErgoDox [MX Clears] | Pearl 40% [78g Zealios] | G81-3000
Coming up:
    DZ60/SKB60-WKL [100g MX Silent Blacks] | G81-3000 [Box Navies] Handwire
IC/GB:
    GMK Strogg | G81/80-3000 MX metal plate

« Reply #860 on: Tue, 30 April 2019, 14:35:23 »
Will be moving at the end of next month. Any idea whether these start shipping and such before that?

pm me, I'll note that and email you before I put your shipping lable onto the box

« Reply #861 on: Wed, 01 May 2019, 16:04:39 »
UPDATE / Quality Control:

Over the last days I've been digging through the boxes whenever I had time to.

I'm happy with the edges, flanges, overall precision and the anodizing. However I'm not entirely happy with the bead blasting.
There are spots, where the bead blasting does not seem to be applied thoroughly enough to fully erase certain traces in the surface. I'm not sure if these traces which look like mini scratches have something to do with the "Walzrichtung" (not sure of the correct english translation) of the sheet metal or if they maybe stem from when you slide the top sheet from the stack in order to move it. Most of the time the bead blasting makes these traces disappear but there are spots where this is still visible. It is only noticeable in bright light and hard to explain with words, so I made some pictures.

First build is the SKB65. It was done quickly because I could just put in the finished plate+pcb+switch stack from the very first prototype I ever built way back in 2017, shown at the mechanikon from that year. Picture "DSC_0900" and "DSC_0902" are the ones where you can see what I tried to explain:
LINK TO THE ALBUM

Second and third builds are both SKB60-YAS. plate+pcb+switch stacks were also already finished, the plates are custom and don't have the black surface treatement, that's why you'll see the shiny steel between the caps. Both layouts are also possible with the YAS plate of course:
LINK TO THE ALBUM

Finally some pictures of just a top part, focusing on surface areas that are fine:
LINK TO THE ALBUM

Personally I don't really mind if it is my personal SKB but some of you might feel different about this, so that's why I'm addressing this now. After noticing it the first time this was a little shock to me, but overall I'm very pleased with the result and how all the other details (which had caused so much trouble before) turned out.
Please let me know what you think of this.
« Last Edit: Wed, 01 May 2019, 16:23:01 by PlastikSchnittstelle »

Offline anfledd

« Reply #862 on: Wed, 01 May 2019, 16:09:09 »
From my POV, I am okay with some imperfections. I didn't see anything in the images that made me say I would not accept what's there. Of course easier to see that stuff in person, but still I thought it looked good.

Offline macken

« Reply #863 on: Wed, 01 May 2019, 16:18:43 »
I think it looks good. Didn’t see anything on the pictures that would make me think otherwise.

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #864 on: Wed, 01 May 2019, 17:29:44 »
Looks fine. Ship ship ship!

Offline wd9001

• Whoms't | 22nd century schizoid man
« Reply #865 on: Wed, 01 May 2019, 18:52:14 »
In terms of noticeable imperfections, nothing seems to jump out! I would be happy with what the images show.
Lunar AEK| Klippe R1 |
Klippe S (production)|
GSKT (Pre-Invoice)

Offline realxmlforce

« Reply #866 on: Wed, 01 May 2019, 18:55:20 »
couldnt find any imperfections you mentioned on the photos. Can you do a detail shot with an arrow pointing to those imperfections? But i guess when nobody notices those imperfections you may just start shipping ;)

Offline eas

« Reply #867 on: Wed, 01 May 2019, 19:10:16 »
I'm unable to see a fault.

Offline rondg

« Reply #868 on: Wed, 01 May 2019, 19:41:55 »
I'm unable to see a fault.

Same here

Offline Zuology

« Reply #869 on: Wed, 01 May 2019, 21:29:49 »

...However I'm not entirely happy with the bead blasting.
There are spots, where the bead blasting does not seem to be applied thoroughly enough to fully erase certain traces in the surface. I'm not sure if these traces which look like mini scratches have something to do with the "Walzrichtung" (not sure of the correct english translation) of the sheet metal or if they maybe stem from when you slide the top sheet from the stack in order to move it. Most of the time the bead blasting makes these traces disappear but there are spots where this is still visible. It is only noticeable in bright light and hard to explain with words, so I made some pictures.
Personally I don't really mind if it is my personal SKB but some of you might feel different about this, so that's why I'm addressing this now. After noticing it the first time this was a little shock to me, but overall I'm very pleased with the result and how all the other details (which had caused so much trouble before) turned out.

I think the word you are looking for is "Grain", essentially the natural texture of the base aluminum (grain also describes the texture and direction of the fibres in wood, as an example).

I can just barely see the areas where you pointed out concern, but I feel that these very faint and small areas of inconsistency in beadblast texture are not worth any stress. They are part of the industrial finish and look of the SKB, and contribute to it. I am very happy that you have this high of a standard with your project, but in my opinion, it's all good. Get sorting and send those boards out! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
More

Offline pertain

« Reply #870 on: Wed, 01 May 2019, 21:56:47 »
I can just barely see the areas where you pointed out concern, but I feel that these very faint and small areas of inconsistency in beadblast texture are not worth any stress. They are part of the industrial finish and look of the SKB, and contribute to it. I am very happy that you have this high of a standard with your project, but in my opinion, it's all good. Get sorting and send those boards out! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Couldn't have said it better. There is nothing concerning in those pictures, but I'm very happy that your standards are so high.  :thumb:

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #871 on: Wed, 01 May 2019, 22:43:38 »
"Doesn't look like anything to me."

Offline proboy84

« Reply #872 on: Wed, 01 May 2019, 22:58:48 »

I'm happy with the edges, flanges, overall precision and the anodizing. However I'm not entirely happy with the bead blasting.

First build is the SKB65. It was done quickly because I could just put in the finished plate+pcb+switch stack from the very first prototype I ever built way back in 2017, shown at the mechanikon from that year. Picture "DSC_0900" and "DSC_0902" are the ones where you can see what I tried to explain:
LINK TO THE ALBUM

Second and third builds are both SKB60-YAS. plate+pcb+switch stacks were also already finished, the plates are custom and don't have the black surface treatement, that's why you'll see the shiny steel between the caps. Both layouts are also possible with the YAS plate of course:
LINK TO THE ALBUM

Finally some pictures of just a top part, focusing on surface areas that are fine:
LINK TO THE ALBUM

look fine for me..

Anyway do you have some 65% extra?

Offline ThomasTH

« Reply #873 on: Thu, 02 May 2019, 00:10:04 »
I don't see anything bad either, i prefer small imperfections over not delivered gbs any day ;)

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

Offline C7Kinetic

• /u/ADJ_Reflex
« Reply #874 on: Thu, 02 May 2019, 04:32:22 »
I see what you meant in the photos, the slight grain that still comes through the bead blasting. However, I am completely fine with the finish and would be happy to receive the current product as is. Can't wait for these to be shipped out!

Offline The_Boom_Boy

« Reply #875 on: Thu, 02 May 2019, 04:51:14 »
Absolutely ok with me

Offline FSund

« Reply #876 on: Thu, 02 May 2019, 05:30:15 »
Looks perfectly fine and industrial to me :)
Join the Mechanical Keyboards Norway Discord server

Offline KeyCap75

« Reply #877 on: Thu, 02 May 2019, 07:37:09 »

Offline koenoe

• My YouTube channel
« Reply #878 on: Thu, 02 May 2019, 08:00:40 »
Looks amazing! Can't wait ;D

Offline Data

« Reply #879 on: Thu, 02 May 2019, 09:46:35 »

LINK TO THE ALBUM

LINK TO THE ALBUM

LINK TO THE ALBUM

I honestly can't find any of the flaws you mentioned.  But even if I could, it feels like they would still fit the "industrial" theme of this case.  Sometimes tooling marks can be very attractive.  I know that's not what you wanted -- that's the whole point of media blasting.  But it doesn't necessarily detract from the appearance.

Large gouging or obvious, deep scratches would be another matter.  But I don't see anything remotely like that.  Can you partially assemble and photograph an example of your "worst case"?

Offline Sshimosawa

« Reply #880 on: Thu, 02 May 2019, 09:51:41 »
Yup. Looks good. Lets ship em.

Offline AbstraktDesignLab

« Reply #881 on: Thu, 02 May 2019, 16:13:18 »
Will there be a Round 2 or extras for this? I would love to grab one of these at some point, but missed out on the original group buy.

Offline menuhin

« Reply #882 on: Thu, 02 May 2019, 18:18:09 »
Will there be a Round 2 or extras for this? I would love to grab one of these at some point, but missed out on the original group buy.

There are some very limited number of extras, just PM PlastikSchnittstelle to get instructions to order them.

This Round started at earlier than the summer in 2017, if there is a Round 2, I am not sure if everything logistics included will stay the same or PlastikSchnittstelle may want to make changes to let the productions run more smoothly.
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline noobas4urus

• Mod Munky of another realm
    • The Mod Zoo
« Reply #884 on: Thu, 02 May 2019, 20:32:34 »
As we say in the business: "Ship it!"

Looking good, getting excited!
"You miss 100% of the raffles you don't enter."
-Wayne Gretzky

Offline Shados

« Reply #885 on: Thu, 02 May 2019, 21:06:51 »
I can maybe see what you're talking about, but I don't think it detracts from the aesthetic at all.

Offline LordHellmchen

« Reply #886 on: Fri, 03 May 2019, 03:55:31 »
OK I was looking at those pictures for several minutes now, and every picture just confirms that I'm realy happy to be in this GB.

Offline faxe

« Reply #887 on: Fri, 03 May 2019, 04:31:19 »
Looks good, lets go!  :D
ISO Clueboard V2 Zealio 78g -ISO Clueboard V1 MX Clear - ISO 60% MX Clear - ISO Filco MJ 2 MX Brown - ISO is life

« Reply #888 on: Fri, 03 May 2019, 05:08:26 »
UPDATE, continuing as planned:

OK, I wanted to wait for a good amount of feedback on this. I conclude that I proceed as planned - sorting, packing, shipping!

TBO, anything else would be nuts. I'm at a point where I can hardly justify to put more time and effort into this. Getting into a dispute about the bead blasting with the manufacturer might very well result in some kind of legal battle. So I'm really relieved all of you see it that way.

This weekend and next week I can't dedicate much time, but after that I'll be able to ramp up the effort again :)
« Last Edit: Fri, 03 May 2019, 05:31:57 by PlastikSchnittstelle »

« Reply #889 on: Fri, 03 May 2019, 05:19:09 »
Regarding additional orders:

Some ask if they can still get an SKB case. Like I had mentioned a few times already, "extras" don't mean there is any kind of additional production. I have simply ordered more cases that are currently ordered (a few of each version, more of then popular versions, less of the less popular ones). By "extras" I just refer to the jet unsold amount of SKBs.

So if you want one, please just fill out the order form (linked in the start post) and you'll get an invoice from me in the following days. If the particular version is out, I'll let you know.

My fault that I have to repeat this over and over, I should really put this on top of the GB thread in big bold letters.

« Reply #890 on: Fri, 03 May 2019, 05:26:56 »
I wanted to post the updates on reddit as well but my original GB thread and the mechmarket thread over there are both ARCHIVED  :'(
Seems like I have to start a knew post there about this, will make that next week.

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #891 on: Fri, 03 May 2019, 09:06:35 »
Just make sure that you've QC'd all your cases and use some the extras to fulfill any from the regular GB before you sell them all. It can save a lot of headache having extras in case something gets lost in shipping or whatever.

« Reply #892 on: Fri, 03 May 2019, 09:11:42 »
Just make sure that you've QC'd all your cases and use some the extras to fulfill any from the regular GB before you sell them all. It can save a lot of headache having extras in case something gets lost in shipping or whatever.

Absolutely! With so many shipements it is quite possible that there might be one or two losses. although shipping will be tracked, I will hold a few back.

Offline Zuology

« Reply #893 on: Fri, 03 May 2019, 10:13:28 »
Regarding additional orders:

Some ask if they can still get an SKB case. Like I had mentioned a few times already, "extras" don't mean there is any kind of additional production. I have simply ordered more cases that are currently ordered (a few of each version, more of then popular versions, less of the less popular ones). By "extras" I just refer to the jet unsold amount of SKBs.

So if you want one, please just fill out the order form (linked in the start post) and you'll get an invoice from me in the following days. If the particular version is out, I'll let you know.

My fault that I have to repeat this over and over, I should really put this on top of the GB thread in big bold letters.

Can you update the original post at the beginning of this GB thread with that info, at the very top in red with the date like you did for previous updates? Will save you some headache. Also, maybe put those pictures of received plates/cases so people can refer to it quickly. That way the rest of us can just say "Check the Original Post"  :cool:
More

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #894 on: Fri, 03 May 2019, 12:30:12 »

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1P7csujAuY4zr8SKfCfLIZfpN7Q2ZJUT9/view?usp=sharing

Here is an alps plate for the SKB75 that I will be using. If anyone needs a custom plate DXF made, please contact me and I'll be happy to put one together for you!
« Last Edit: Fri, 03 May 2019, 12:31:47 by ReDsNoTDeAd »

Offline ojrask

• juuh elikkäs
« Reply #895 on: Fri, 03 May 2019, 15:16:05 »
As others mentioned already, I can't see anything alarming regarding bead blasting defects, maybe a few spots though could be dust as well?

Looking good, can't wait.

Did you receive my PM regarding the address change?
Current:
    Ducky DK9008P [MX Blues] | WASD V2 TKL [MX Blues] | r63 (Satan 60% DIY) [Gateron Browns] | BananaSplit 60% [Gateron Greens] | UK78 [67g Zealios] | Infinity ErgoDox [MX Clears] | Pearl 40% [78g Zealios] | G81-3000
Coming up:
    DZ60/SKB60-WKL [100g MX Silent Blacks] | G81-3000 [Box Navies] Handwire
IC/GB:
    GMK Strogg | G81/80-3000 MX metal plate

Offline Hadi

• Formerly eqtri
« Reply #896 on: Fri, 03 May 2019, 15:48:54 »
If we got in on an HHKB model, is it too late to switch over to WKL? Apologies if you've answered this already.

« Reply #897 on: Fri, 03 May 2019, 15:55:24 »
As others mentioned already, I can't see anything alarming regarding bead blasting defects, maybe a few spots though could be dust as well?

If you mean the white/bright dots/points/sprinkles - that are particles from the silk paper / tissue paper / wrapping paper (damn, I'm just never sure about the appropriate translation)

Did you receive my PM regarding the address change?

yes, got it  :thumb:

« Reply #898 on: Fri, 03 May 2019, 16:02:21 »
If we got in on an HHKB model, is it too late to switch over to WKL? Apologies if you've answered this already.

ouh damn, HHKB SKBs I definately have enough overproduction but WKL not. Switching at this stage is generally a problem. I had set a deadline for version switching way back. Imagine I allow one to switch now, suddenly 20 more will ask and quickly I have negative version X and way too much version Y.
Let me check the numbers when I'm back in the office on monday, then I'll pm you.

Offline Hadi

• Formerly eqtri
« Reply #899 on: Fri, 03 May 2019, 16:55:50 »

ouh damn, HHKB SKBs I definately have enough overproduction but WKL not. Switching at this stage is generally a problem. I had set a deadline for version switching way back. Imagine I allow one to switch now, suddenly 20 more will ask and quickly I have negative version X and way too much version Y.
Let me check the numbers when I'm back in the office on monday, then I'll pm you.

I figured as much, just thought to ask. Either way, both look great! Thanks Plastik.