Author Topic: KeyCon 2020 Going Virtual - September 20  (Read 262644 times)

Offline cpryland

Re: KeyCon 2020 Denver - June 13
« Reply #200 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 09:34:01 »
Fear is a normal reaction to this type of outbreak. However, I would ask people not use social media as a source of news for anything COVID-19 related. Perspective is important here. Car accidents kill 6 million people in the US every year. In comparison, there have been a bit over 3,000 confirmed deaths from coronavirus in all of China, the epicenter of the outbreak. I'm not saying the situation isn't serious, because it is. But when I feel my own anxiety rising, that is something I use to bring myself back down.

While your overall recommendations seem great, I have to correct one thing.

There are 6 million car accidents in the US, of which 6% result in death.  (see https://www.driverknowledge.com/car-accident-statistics/)

Offline phorx

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #201 on: Thu, 12 March 2020, 10:35:57 »
I hope this event doesn't get delayed or cancelled, but if it does, I hope that it's done soon to give me a chance to make arrangements and try to get tickets etc. refunded.

Offline jacobsmirror

« Reply #202 on: Thu, 12 March 2020, 11:25:09 »
I hope this event doesn't get delayed or cancelled, but if it does, I hope that it's done soon to give me a chance to make arrangements and try to get tickets etc. refunded.
Whelp, we are hoping for the same thing. Luckily we have a little more time to let this play out. The planning committee is watching everything as closely as we can.

Offline TheGreatIceDrake

« Reply #203 on: Thu, 12 March 2020, 15:41:05 »
Fear is a normal reaction to this type of outbreak. However, I would ask people not use social media as a source of news for anything COVID-19 related. Perspective is important here. Car accidents kill 6 million people in the US every year. In comparison, there have been a bit over 3,000 confirmed deaths from coronavirus in all of China, the epicenter of the outbreak. I'm not saying the situation isn't serious, because it is. But when I feel my own anxiety rising, that is something I use to bring myself back down.

While your overall recommendations seem great, I have to correct one thing.

There are 6 million car accidents in the US, of which 6% result in death.  (see https://www.driverknowledge.com/car-accident-statistics/)

Thanks! Fixed that a few days ago. Clearly struggling to proof before hitting post.

Offline TaurusTrades

• Taurus trades Etsy Store
« Reply #204 on: Sat, 21 March 2020, 19:31:40 »
I'll be keeping tabs and praying the event will still be possible  :'(

Offline phorx

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #205 on: Sun, 22 March 2020, 09:37:22 »
I have flights booked but if the opportunity to cancel for free comes up I’ll be taking advantage.  Prices have plummeted lately so rebooking will yield a nice savings. 

Offline watevermelon

« Reply #206 on: Tue, 07 April 2020, 23:52:17 »
So uh - is this event being cancelled? At this point in time it seems almost irresponsible to continue. Even if shelter at home is lifted - there is no vaccine or commonly available tests for antibodies. People mingling and touching keyboards are basically going to become humongous vectors.

March 2nd - we were at 5 deaths.
March 15th -  65 deaths.
April 1st - 4,000ish deaths.
April 7th (tonight) we're at almost 13,000 deaths.

It's not even about attendees getting sick. It's about the fact people could be transmitting while being completely asymptomatic - and then going back to their regions.
« Last Edit: Wed, 08 April 2020, 00:03:15 by watevermelon »

Offline jacobsmirror

« Reply #207 on: Wed, 08 April 2020, 08:40:21 »
So uh - is this event being cancelled? At this point in time it seems almost irresponsible to continue. Even if shelter at home is lifted - there is no vaccine or commonly available tests for antibodies. People mingling and touching keyboards are basically going to become humongous vectors.

March 2nd - we were at 5 deaths.
March 15th -  65 deaths.
April 1st - 4,000ish deaths.
April 7th (tonight) we're at almost 13,000 deaths.

It's not even about attendees getting sick. It's about the fact people could be transmitting while being completely asymptomatic - and then going back to their regions.

Thanks for the info, and we're obviously watching what's happening just as closely as anyone else. Currently we're working with the venue, which is also understandably slammed. Should have something official to announce in the next week or so.

Offline jacobsmirror

« Reply #208 on: Wed, 08 April 2020, 18:15:41 »
Hey all, with everything that's going on in the world today, we are pushing back KeyCon to Sept. 20th. EXDO has been incredibly flexible with the date change without any financial ramifications, and this date is hopefully far enough out that we all will be back to some type of new normal by then. Sorry for the upset in plans, but I hope we can all get together a little later in a much safer way.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
Re: KeyCon 2020 Denver - September 20
« Reply #209 on: Wed, 08 April 2020, 18:21:39 »
Great to hear - hopefully that's a long enough delay.

Offline watevermelon

« Reply #210 on: Wed, 08 April 2020, 20:02:35 »
Hey all, with everything that's going on in the world today, we are pushing back KeyCon to Sept. 20th. EXDO has been incredibly flexible with the date change without any financial ramifications, and this date is hopefully far enough out that we all will be back to some type of new normal by then. Sorry for the upset in plans, but I hope we can all get together a little later in a much safer way.

Awesome thank you for making the hard choice. I know a lot of other events that are still deciding to go through with their plans.

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #211 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 14:08:42 »
Nice, the last time i when't to a meet it was in the summer time.

September should have some nice temps.

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline jacobsmirror

« Reply #212 on: Thu, 30 April 2020, 14:24:12 »
Just updated the hotel block link for the Source Hotel to reflect the date change :)

Offline Current Keyboards

• currentkeyboards.com
« Reply #213 on: Thu, 07 May 2020, 19:27:08 »
Hopefully by then it's starting to wind down. I worry by even then thought it may be active enough that a lot of people will avoid conference and large gatherings even if relatively safe.

Offline azzipa

« Reply #214 on: Tue, 19 May 2020, 08:52:29 »
The link to eventbrite shows ticket sales ending June 12. I’m guessing that’s a remnant from the original date and the purchase deadline should maybe pushed out to September?

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #215 on: Tue, 19 May 2020, 08:57:29 »
The link to eventbrite shows ticket sales ending June 12. I’m guessing that’s a remnant from the original date and the purchase deadline should maybe pushed out to September?

Is it really?

It says that the event is on Sept. 20 and below it says:

Refund Policy
Refunds up to 7 days before event
Eventbrite's fee is nonrefundable.

Offline jacobsmirror

« Reply #216 on: Tue, 19 May 2020, 09:00:10 »

Thanks for the heads up. And yeah, forgot to update that when I moved the event. All updated now.

Offline nixue

« Reply #217 on: Wed, 20 May 2020, 10:17:26 »
Super new to this community and super lucky to live in Denver! I'll seriously consider buying a ticket considering September is my 21st birthday! What an interesting time we live in but I agree hopefully with the discussion of planned and monitored reopening going on in Denver that things will be easier to manage. Hope to see you all there!!

/s
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 May 2020, 10:19:19 by nixue »

Offline i_tekneek

« Reply #218 on: Sat, 06 June 2020, 11:15:01 »
Me and my wife will see everyone there!!!

Ill be bringing my TGR alice, Duck Viper, and Polycarb Bauer. Looking forward to checking out some of the vintage keebs!!!!

Seems like the September date should hold too!

Offline jacobsmirror

« Reply #219 on: Sat, 13 June 2020, 08:46:13 »
Happy "Would've Been KeyCon Except for a Pandemic" Day! Hope y'all are doing well. Just wanted to check in and let you know I've had some great conversations with the venue for the new Sept. 20th date and we're working to make sure the event is safe, fun, and flexible enough to work around whatever possible restrictions might still be in place by the time of the event. I appreciate everyone's patience with the situation at hand, and look forward to a stellar KeyCon 2020!

Offline Timbersawdust

• aka snorlax
« Reply #220 on: Sat, 13 June 2020, 22:43:04 »
Thanks to Hello Caps for hosting a virtual KeyCon with great success on this very day

Offline yuppie

« Reply #221 on: Mon, 22 June 2020, 11:21:52 »
Happy "Would've Been KeyCon Except for a Pandemic" Day! Hope y'all are doing well. Just wanted to check in and let you know I've had some great conversations with the venue for the new Sept. 20th date and we're working to make sure the event is safe, fun, and flexible enough to work around whatever possible restrictions might still be in place by the time of the event. I appreciate everyone's patience with the situation at hand, and look forward to a stellar KeyCon 2020!

Thanks so much for keeping up with the work on this event month after month. We're all looking forward to it!
"Overall, it's a good community..  wish you well on your Pokemon Journey.." - TP4
Current Trades -- Wishlist

Offline Space_Case88

• keebs, anime, video games and coffee
« Reply #222 on: Wed, 08 July 2020, 04:54:05 »
I would like to say that I am super looking forward to this but is it really going to happen? The US is nowhere near any type of herd immunity and Sept is just right around the corner. I really want it to happen even if we have to all wear masks and stand apart from each other. Anyway, I would love this. I hope that we are able to do it.

Offline jacobsmirror

« Reply #223 on: Wed, 08 July 2020, 07:47:50 »
I would like to say that I am super looking forward to this but is it really going to happen? The US is nowhere near any type of herd immunity and Sept is just right around the corner. I really want it to happen even if we have to all wear masks and stand apart from each other. Anyway, I would love this. I hope that we are able to do it.

Hey, thanks for checking in. I've been meaning to do an update for a bit, so this is a good opportunity. I've been going back and forth with the venue and trying to keep up to date with the current restrictions and safety recommendations in Denver regarding covid. As of right now, the venue is pretty comfortable about being able to host an event that abides by those restrictions. We'll be making use of multiple rooms and some outdoor space to better aid in where groups of people will be congregating, and obviously taking precautions in regard to masks and hand sanitizer being available. If the situation progresses beyond where it's reasonable to host the event, we'll cross that bridge with hopefully as much lead time as possible (as it's an ever changing set of variables). That said, I'll reiterate that I want everyone to feel safe and refunds are available for anyone who doesn't want to head out to Denver. Thanks for the patience and the more than usual "up in the air" element to this KeyCon. Myself and the planning committee are doing out best to stay on top of the news and make the best decisions and provide the best event possible.

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #224 on: Tue, 14 July 2020, 13:23:31 »
Hoping all goes to plan (safely), I could really use a "vacation"  and would love to visit Denver - I'm sure it wouldn't take much to get the wife to want to go too, but I'm sure she'd love to go to FL over CO while I am not the biggest fan of FL other than Florida Man antics.  Other than the convention, there are some Toyota off-road shops I'd love to visit and catch up with some of the guys that used to be here in Atlanta.  Also seeing how inexpensive flights have been lately it wouldn't be hard, pandemic has actually allowed some opportunities and some amazing GB's this year.

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline Jewish Yoda

« Reply #225 on: Mon, 20 July 2020, 15:40:17 »
Oh hell yeah! I will be attending this one! :)

Offline Z41N

• YouTube Channel
« Reply #226 on: Fri, 24 July 2020, 19:19:17 »
Ah would love to attend!! Are things tentative, though, due to the rona?

Offline Raging Panda

« Reply #227 on: Mon, 27 July 2020, 20:58:14 »
I'm based in Denver and hope some form of this event still happens! We are still in phase 2 so not total lock down. There is a mask mandate in all public spaces and there are restrictions on occupancy in all bars and restaurants. All things considered, Colorado has things pretty put together compared to the rest of the US and is one of the better places to have an event at the moment. Hope you all get to come enjoy some fresh Rocky Mountain air  :)

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #228 on: Tue, 28 July 2020, 01:20:35 »
That said, I'll reiterate that I want everyone to feel safe and refunds are available for anyone who doesn't want to head out to Denver.

Are refunds still happening?

Offline jacobsmirror

« Reply #229 on: Tue, 28 July 2020, 11:10:24 »
So I have some good news and some bad news.

Good news is that KeyCon is going to be virtual this year!

Bad news is that unfortunately with so much uncertainty and apprehension with the covid situation, KeyCon 2020 isn't going to be an in-person event. I know it's a bummer, but myself and the planning committee think it's the best solution.

I've already received a refund from the venue, and I'll be cancelling the event on Eventbrite and processing full refunds for all ticket holders starting today.

EXDO has expressed their desire to rebook our event for 2021, which is definitely something that will be explored.

As far as the virtual event, it will be held on the KeyCon 2020 Discord Server on the same date. We're still working out the details for times and how to manage all the interactions, but it'll still be a banging good time.

Sorry for the bad news, but I look forward to hanging with y'all in discord pretty soon.
« Last Edit: Fri, 31 July 2020, 21:15:12 by jacobsmirror »

Offline PanelLine

Re: KeyCon 2020 Going Virtual - September 20
« Reply #230 on: Tue, 28 July 2020, 11:31:49 »
Delete
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 July 2020, 11:34:13 by PanelLine »

Offline jacobsmirror

« Reply #231 on: Tue, 28 July 2020, 11:32:31 »
I reserved a room through the Source Hotel. Which was the linked hotel before this got cancelled. Can we expect the hotel to be refunding rooms as well or should we be contacting them individually?

You should contact them yourself.

Offline 150LAT10N

« Reply #232 on: Tue, 28 July 2020, 17:47:21 »
Don't really have an excuse when it is in your own backyard. Looking forward to meeting some awesome people and learning a ton at this event!

Let me know if you need any support from local boots on the ground...
Bear-65 | Gemini TKL (Night Owl Studios) | Iron-180 | KBD Maja | Rama U80-A Seq 2 | Whale 75

Offline rmendis

• Artisan addict
« Reply #233 on: Tue, 28 July 2020, 23:20:21 »

Bad news is that unfortunately with so much uncertainty and apprehension with the covid situation, KeyCon 2020 isn't going to be an in-person event. I know it's a bummer, but myself and the planning committee think it's the best solution.

I've already received a refund from the venue, and I'll be cancelling the event on Eventbrite and processing full refunds for all ticket holders starting today.

EXDO has expressed their desire to rebook our event for 2021, which is definitely something that will be explored.

As far as the virtual event, it will be held on the KeyCon 2020 Discord Server on the same date. We're still working out the details for times and how to manage all the interactions, but it'll still be a banging good time.

Sorry for the bad news, but I look forward to hanging with y'all in discord pretty soon.

Thanks for all the hard work trying to make this happen. Looking forward to the virtual event!

Offline Auxo

• Formerly CJD_Anthony
« Reply #234 on: Wed, 29 July 2020, 11:52:26 »

Thanks for all the hard work trying to make this happen. Looking forward to the virtual event!

+1

Thank you, friend, for all of the effort you've put into making this happen!
UNREALFORCE TKL | KMAC Happy | LSJ Ares | LZ CLS h | NIX Sofia | Noxary X60 | OTD 356 Mini | PFU Limited HHKB Pro 2 (Black) | PFU Limited HHKB Pro 2 Type-S | PFU Limited HHKB JP Type-S | SINGA x TGR Unikorn | TGR 60% | Weaston & nachie GSKT-00 |
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | MIRA SE | TGR Alice | Southpaw Fullsize (pending shipping) | Daily driver: TGR Alice
Collection: Salamander PC, Keycult No1(OG) Salamander TKL, M60A, THE60, Jane V2, LZ MP, LZ GH V2, KC 1/60, OTD 456GT. Kepler, Think 6.5 Brass, Think 6.5 PC, T60, The Raine, F77, E7-V1 SE
Topre Realforce 87U 55g | Corsair K70 w/ MX Browns | Unicomp Ultra Classic
Poker 2 | LZ CE | Leopold FC700R | KMAC 1.2 | EXE | GON NS87 | GON Nerd TKL | Duck Poker | Duck Orion | Realforce 87u 55g | OTD 456GT | LZ B7 | OTD 360C | Ducky G2 Pro | Apple Extended | Apple M0116 | Apple M0116 | Cherry G80-1220HAD | Duck Octagon | HHKB Pro 2 | Duck Unicorn | LZ B8 | LZ RE | ENVKX | OTD 456GT | LZ FE | HHKB Type S | TX1800| Duck Orion V2 | LZ FE | KPad | KMAC Happy | ENVKX | LZ RV | KMAC 2 | Whale | Dolphin | EM7 | TGR Jane | VE.A | DK Saver | Matrix 10xv1.0 | Whale | HHKB BT | Dolphin v2 | EM7 v2 | SSK | SSK (Blue Label) | LZ SQ | Duck Octagon v2 | TX84 | GON Mobik | TX-CP | LZ Ergo2 | KMAC Happy HHKB | TGR 910 | TGR Tris | Matrix 8xv1.2 | KMAC Mini | Mira | Fjell | 356mini | Dolphin GH | EM7 GH | TARO EXENT | Masterkey Pro L Crysta l OTD Koala | Duck Viper | Keycult no.1 | 356mini | 356pad | Matrix 8xv2.0 | 420cl | Matrix 8xv1.0 | Whale Special | Poly Dolphin | Keycult No.2 | FMJ80 | Singa R2 Quickfire Pro | TADA 68 | Novatouch | Whitefox | Octagon v1 | Blackbird | HHKB Pro 2 | KBD75 | VE.A | X60 | Canoe | HHKB Pro 1 | FJELL | Revo One | ALPS64 | Lightsaver v3 | IBM 5140 WKL | Realforce 87u | MIRA SE | Duck Poker | Canoe | Moon | Weaven | M65-A | EXENT | Wooden Planck | Tokyo60| Viper v1 | E6-v2 | IBM SSK | CA66 | TX-CP | SINGA | TGR Alice | FJELL R2 | Klippe | JER-A06 | GSKT-00 | M60-A | Realforce 84u | AL1 | Keycult No. 1 | SaiB-CP | G81-3077SAU | DC60 | Realforce 84ub | TMO50 | G80-1800 | Leaf 80 | LZ GH-v2 | T60 | LZ MP | KMAC Happy | TGR-910RE (Al) | TGR-910RE (PC) | SKB60 | UNIKORN | TGR Jane v2 | Xeno

Offline Wheethin

« Reply #235 on: Fri, 31 July 2020, 18:56:02 »
is there a new discord link? the hyper link is down

Offline jacobsmirror

« Reply #236 on: Fri, 31 July 2020, 21:14:49 »
is there a new discord link? the hyper link is down

Sorry about that, updated.

Offline Lexym

« Reply #237 on: Fri, 31 July 2020, 22:32:42 »
Pretty new here so can't wait!

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #238 on: Wed, 05 August 2020, 15:14:32 »
Hell yeah, stoked man!

Offline Twoxscoops

• Likes Heavy switches, Long walks on the beach, etc
« Reply #239 on: Fri, 07 August 2020, 12:59:10 »
I have officially finished moving to Denver. I see keycon is in Denver. I screech. Then mr coroni came and made breathing illegal. I screech once more but this time in sadness. Now, I screech a final time discovering that at least ya boi can attend in spirit through the internet. I will wear my rift S in desktop mode to increase immersion.
Ducky One TKL Cherry MX Greens

Offline MayberryMech

• https://www.twitch.tv/mayberrymech
« Reply #240 on: Mon, 10 August 2020, 00:22:56 »
Looking forward to attending my first KeyCon even though its virtual!

Offline TonyTone

• Tech and Keyboard Inspired Youtube Channel
« Reply #241 on: Sun, 30 August 2020, 08:46:58 »
I'm excited to meet everyone this is going to be an awesome virtual event <3

Offline Stefkeys

« Reply #242 on: Wed, 02 September 2020, 23:06:33 »
Glad I finally looked into this. I had heard about previous years and figured this year was just not going to happen. Im excited to get to know others in the community. I just started in the hobby a month ago and I feel like I fell down the rabbit hole lol.

Also really hoping next year’s Keycon can be an in person event and I am able to go.

Offline rhinonigel

« Reply #243 on: Tue, 08 September 2020, 18:10:40 »
Philly!  :D

Offline jacobsmirror

« Reply #244 on: Sat, 12 September 2020, 11:15:00 »
Hey everyone! We'll be holding virtual KeyCon from 5-9PM EST next Sunday, the 20th. Got some great stuff planned with panel discussions, product demos, and giveaways.

Head over to the discord server for more info.

Looking forward to hanging out with y'all! It'll be a great time  :D
« Last Edit: Sat, 12 September 2020, 11:34:09 by jacobsmirror »

Offline $W4GK!NG

• Keyboard/Car/Audio Enthusiast
    • Linktree
« Reply #245 on: Sun, 13 September 2020, 13:10:07 »
Now I will be able to attend KeyCon since I dont live in the US loool

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #246 on: Mon, 21 September 2020, 11:59:20 »
It was a blast. Thanks for putting it on. Can’t wait to attend in person some day!

Offline yannick95

• Vancouver Photographer
« Reply #247 on: Wed, 30 September 2020, 08:08:30 »
Hopefully I will be able to attend in person next time  :cool:
Thanks guys !
Show must go on !

Offline Hern

« Reply #248 on: Thu, 15 October 2020, 10:27:00 »
2020 keycon virtual through discord was a blast this year. First time "attending" but learned a lot about how people make artisans along with everyone basically showing off their amazing keyboard collects over video ! :)

Offline antcrm

Re: KeyCon 2020 - Vote on a Location
« Reply #249 on: Sun, 08 November 2020, 18:47:01 »
YES!!  Let's doo iiittt!!!  ;D

(Hoping to actually make it next year :rolleyes: )
so exciting