Author Topic: Best lighting setup for home office and bedroom  (Read 11819 times)

Offline Sniping

Best lighting setup for home office and bedroom
« on: Tue, 21 January 2020, 19:21:29 »
My desk setup where I do most of my work is the same place where I sleep, so it's a bedroom and home office merged in one. I've seen a lot of similar setups to this. I think this poses an interesting problem, because as I understand it, we'd want our bedroom to have warmer lights to provide a cozy feeling, and we want our office setup to have cooler lights to help us stay focused.

My current setup is that I have a basic desk light with a cool white bulb on my desk, and I have two warmer lights from a lamp in my room. I've been considering switching over to LED strips, and wanted to get recommendations or ideas of what other people were using. What I was considering were 4500K rigid LED strips behind my TV (which is my main monitor on my desk) and maybe 3000K string lights around my room to illuminate the rest of my room with warmer lights. I've come to realize that the lights behind the TV must be brightness adjustable, but I don't really care about adjusting the colors. I'm not sure if having a solid white LED strip saves significant money over RGB, but I'm not in dire need of RGB lighting.

Offline thebigbluebox

Re: Best lighting setup for home office and bedroom
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 04 February 2020, 10:11:43 »
I feel like you should try one of those desk lamps or the philip hue rgb light strips that allow you to automatically change the white light profile to adjust to whatever sort of situation you want. I have an LED lamp that lets me switch between warm and cold lighting, and its super convenient for when I need the concentration.

Offline typo

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 03 March 2020, 12:03:14 »
High CRI Chroma 5K or 65K is best for your eyes period for anything. For general lighting in your home just regular low CRI 3K is nicer. It used to be CFL was best and it still has a higher CRI but it has nasty blue/green spikes. You can just go with Cree Edison base LED A19 bulbs and pick any A19 fixtures you want. Plus they last 7 to 12 years. If you buy them at Home Depot or Lowes they will replace them any time. Do not buy knock-offs such as at Menards. They are not tested to any standard and you have no idea what you got. The Cree are not even expensive. They vary by market but for instance in Wisconsin they run about $7 for a 2 pack up to 75 watt equivalent. 100 or 150 watt is more, about $12 for a 2 pack. I highly recommend not to go to bright or to dim. Cree is 90 to 92 CRI but 100% uniform. There are aquarium hobby CFL that reach 98.7 CRI but have large spikes. Therefore the Cree win now. No offense but the Philips Hue is actually very bad for your eyes. It is simply a novelty light. If you spend much more you can get inbuilt LED fixtures where the LED is non removeable and they are more compact and stylish. I find this stupid as you are paying $600+ for a throwaway lamp. I suggest you get 755 watt Cree and a dimmable fixture or dimmer cord. Do not get a digital dimmer ever. You can do as you please but this is the best way for your eyes. The Cree daylight 75 watt with a dimer in a fixture of your choice. A fixture with a white interior is also best. A lampshade type fixture will completely negate it's effects.

Offline Elahya

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 09 December 2020, 06:27:07 »
I have an LED lamp on my desk, I just need to focus. I don't really care about light, the idea is to feel comfortable in the chair and breathe oxygen. I'm so anxious when I'm working on my graphic design project and something's wrong. Moreover, sometimes I have such a bad allergy to dust and sneezing all the time. I decided to buy a Dehumidifier Critic for the office. I have one in the bedroom, but most dust I have in the office because I spend almost my whole day here. It doesn't produce noise, the single problem is that I want to sleep sometimes. So, coffee is my best friend.
« Last Edit: Thu, 10 December 2020, 13:40:00 by Elahya »