Author Topic: Quake Remaster  (Read 6619 times)

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
Quake Remaster
« on: Thu, 19 August 2021, 15:35:31 »
Woop woop!

TP, Geekhack online deathmatch?! :D
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
Re: Quake Remaster
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 19 August 2021, 16:09:37 »
Wulp. There goes my weekend
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 19 August 2021, 16:50:08 »
I mean, great, but this looks and plays EXACTLY the ****ing same as OG Quake using a mod pack. Like, I use Dark Places and Quakegasm, and cannot see any performance or graphical differences at all. This is probably WORSE since mod packs are continuously worked on for like 20 years. I don't understand the point of this existing since modders have already created I can only assume far superior mod packs for running OG Quake.

All this is is a way to get stupid people to rebuy it.
« Last Edit: Thu, 19 August 2021, 16:51:49 by noisyturtle »

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 19 August 2021, 17:03:19 »
I was going to say. I haven't watched this trailer yet.

But Darkplaces + HRP + maybe DPMod gives you quite a graphical experience, especially with RTLights.

There's also some standalone implementations of Darkplaces and some custom texture packs + modern water that are really nice, and scalable to your setup.

But a factory standard remaster could be good for multiplayer. Quake is very multiplayer / multiplatform friendly, but having it all standard could ease setup. And if it has 4-player local co-op like it looked like in the trailer when I skimmed over it, that would be really cool.

But yeah, a factory-standard remaster removes a lot of the customization that makes graphical modpacks fun for Quake. And you don't get to use the really inspired retro ports like Qbism Super 8.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 19 August 2021, 17:12:48 »
Yeah that's true. This will be great for multiplayer since you don't need to setup a private server to do so.

I did a direct comparison with Quakegasm and Darkplaces to the new trailer just now and graphically there is no improvement. Even framerate seems the same. I can't imagine that this will be better than something that has had direct community input for 2 decades though unless they are using source code from an existing mod pack.
« Last Edit: Thu, 19 August 2021, 17:14:52 by noisyturtle »

Offline phinix

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 19 August 2021, 17:14:40 »
Yeah yeah.. ok..

So what? Are we having Geekhack multi deathmatch?
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 19 August 2021, 17:14:58 »
I just hope you can play vanilla mods in the new port. It would make playing something like "Beyond Belief" co-op so much easier - no setup required. Plus graphical enhancements.

Turns out I own this new remaster, since it got automatically updated if you own the commercial Quake edition.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 19 August 2021, 17:16:36 »
I just hope you can play vanilla mods in the new port. It would make playing something like "Beyond Belief" co-op so much easier - no setup required. Plus graphical enhancements.

Turns out I own this new remaster, since it got automatically updated if you own the commercial Quake edition.

Oh man, a console version of DOOM and DOOMII with .wad support would be AMAZING. I can't even play original DOOM anymore after being coddled by such incredible mod packs.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 19 August 2021, 17:20:39 »
You know, I think there was a console port of Doom for XBox or something that may have had minor graphical enhancements.

It was a launching point for the new official episode, "No Rest for the Living." [NERVE.WAD.]

That's actually an excellent episode and would be awesome to couch co-op with your friends. Except nobody around me still wants to play Doom, even though there are such faithful ports available with tasteful enhancements. Maybe they would play Brutal Doom instead?

Offline Hans_Luber

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 19 August 2021, 20:25:04 »
Yeah yeah.. ok..

So what? Are we having Geekhack multi deathmatch?

Can we please?

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 20 August 2021, 20:29:27 »
I'm not a big fan of reboots these days, but I wouldn't mind if they rebooted Quake to have all the stuff it was supposed to originally: time-travelling Lovecraftian-fantasy RPG elements and such.

Offline Hans_Luber

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 20 August 2021, 20:34:47 »
I'm not a big fan of reboots these days, but I wouldn't mind if they rebooted Quake to have all the stuff it was supposed to originally: time-travelling Lovecraftian-fantasy RPG elements and such.

I mean this isn't so much a reboot but a remaster. All of that is there.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 20 August 2021, 23:50:49 »
Yes, I mean, if there were to be a reboot, I could see a rationale for it.

In terms of the remaster, I just played it a little tonight, and have some thoughts on it.

It almost has the fundamentals down, in terms of rendering, UI and movement. There is a problem right now where the movement speeds are a little off, but that can be corrected. Right now, it's a little 'floaty.'

I am using a 16:10 monitor, and 100 FOV seemed a bit too constricted, so I have it on 105 right now. That's novel for me at that ratio, and I can see a great deal more than traditionally, the mild fishbowl effect is in play.

In terms of graphical improvements, they are subtle. You could almost believe that you are playing the original Quake. As others have said, it does a good job at 'playing like you remember it,' which is also seen in ports like Doom Retro, although there's more of a labour of love there. The textures have been subtly upscaled, I think, but they are still 8-bit and blocky-looking. The models have small improvements, like actually-modeled teeth on the dogs. So, more polygons.

There are modern features available, such as AA, texture softening, and such. I turned off texture softening, Ambient Occlusion, and Depth of Field effect. The latter two are very subtle in operation. AO will put nearby models, such as corpses, out-of-focus. I couldn't see much effect from DoF, but distances are short. I have max FPS set to 60, as I'm not sure what my GTX 660 and IPS monitor can achieve.

All-in-all, the graphical improvements are minimal. I miss some of the things I am used to in the enhanced ports, such as:
-high-resolution textures
-transparencies [beam weapons, fire, and especially portals]
-particle effects [wormholes, illumination of armour and other powerups/pickups]
-detailed real-time lighting hand-drawn for levels [RTLights]

This port comes with shadows, though.

It would be nice if it integrated support for the common texture packs and RTLights, and let you choose to have transparency and particle effects. You see options like that in ports like Crispy Doom.

I was able to get the user levelset Beyond Belief up-and-running very easily, runs almost the same way you would do it in vanilla Quake. I noticed that the RTLights for those maps were not active here, the subtle lighting addons in the official campaigns are seemingly not enabled here. The level architecture and basic GL-style lighting was presented very clearly, though, and I was able to breeze through the level and see all enemies at a distance.

One problem throughout is that, for me, the player viewpoint felt as if the player was shorter than usual. This may be a FOV issue.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 20 August 2021, 23:59:26 »
Okay, here's some images from tonight:

More:

https://imgur.com/a/DJMGo20

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 21 August 2021, 03:47:17 »
Having played a few different engines on a few different platforms on a few different computers over the years, this doesn't look that different.

https://www.gog.com/game/quake_ii_rtx is a bit more like it, although none of my current hardware will run it.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline phinix

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 23 August 2021, 04:09:15 »
Yes, I mean, if there were to be a reboot, I could see a rationale for it.

In terms of the remaster, I just played it a little tonight, and have some thoughts on it.

It almost has the fundamentals down, in terms of rendering, UI and movement. There is a problem right now where the movement speeds are a little off, but that can be corrected. Right now, it's a little 'floaty.'

I am using a 16:10 monitor, and 100 FOV seemed a bit too constricted, so I have it on 105 right now. That's novel for me at that ratio, and I can see a great deal more than traditionally, the mild fishbowl effect is in play.

In terms of graphical improvements, they are subtle. You could almost believe that you are playing the original Quake. As others have said, it does a good job at 'playing like you remember it,' which is also seen in ports like Doom Retro, although there's more of a labour of love there. The textures have been subtly upscaled, I think, but they are still 8-bit and blocky-looking. The models have small improvements, like actually-modeled teeth on the dogs. So, more polygons.

There are modern features available, such as AA, texture softening, and such. I turned off texture softening, Ambient Occlusion, and Depth of Field effect. The latter two are very subtle in operation. AO will put nearby models, such as corpses, out-of-focus. I couldn't see much effect from DoF, but distances are short. I have max FPS set to 60, as I'm not sure what my GTX 660 and IPS monitor can achieve.

All-in-all, the graphical improvements are minimal. I miss some of the things I am used to in the enhanced ports, such as:
-high-resolution textures
-transparencies [beam weapons, fire, and especially portals]
-particle effects [wormholes, illumination of armour and other powerups/pickups]
-detailed real-time lighting hand-drawn for levels [RTLights]

This port comes with shadows, though.

It would be nice if it integrated support for the common texture packs and RTLights, and let you choose to have transparency and particle effects. You see options like that in ports like Crispy Doom.

I was able to get the user levelset Beyond Belief up-and-running very easily, runs almost the same way you would do it in vanilla Quake. I noticed that the RTLights for those maps were not active here, the subtle lighting addons in the official campaigns are seemingly not enabled here. The level architecture and basic GL-style lighting was presented very clearly, though, and I was able to breeze through the level and see all enemies at a distance.

One problem throughout is that, for me, the player viewpoint felt as if the player was shorter than usual. This may be a FOV issue.

Cool review :thumb:

Yeah, I played first two levels last night, funny how I remembered every corner of those levels from like 25 years:)
It looks like simple and subtle transition to higher res, wide screens. I like how it how it still shows pixels etc.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 23 August 2021, 10:03:13 »
Yes, there was a fad for high-res textures about 10 years ago. Decking everything in those textures with intense coloured lighting, smoke, raindrops to try and make the game look 'modern.'

Not gonna lie, I do enjoy those mods. But Quake is probably best left looking like Quake.

This new port is in line with current popular ports like Quakespasm in that it doesn't try to change the basic look of Quake.

One thing I noticed in the new port is that user levels [like Beyond Belief] don't seem to access the full retinue of subtle changes that you see in the base game official campaign. So they are stuck with basic graphics, whereas core campaign gets some minor lighting and wall texture tweaks. But I'd have to test that more.

The overall big complaint with this port is still the 'floaty' motion. The back/forward speed values of character movement seem a bit 'off.' Hopefully that is easy to fix.

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 24 August 2021, 09:34:51 »
Now my real concern, is it going to maintain the original Soundtrack?

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 24 August 2021, 16:04:52 »
I had the volume too low to confirm that night [music was playing], but internet search suggest the new Quake remaster on Steam has put the original NIN OST back in.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 24 August 2021, 16:34:12 »
Now my real concern, is it going to maintain the original Soundtrack?

There was some issue with that for a long time due to licensing. Even if you get the free version off the Bethesda Store the soundtrack is disabled and you need to add the files yourself. That would be a huge draw, since the original Trent Reznor atmospheric stuff is essential to the vibe of Quake.

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 25 August 2021, 06:11:27 »
Quake I & II have some of the best soundtracks to date that have held up over time (Doom's S/T's are 3rd on this list) and I understand why Trent wasn't happy with Bethesda taking over the IP since I know they wouldn't payout for his work. 

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline Shapey Fiend

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 21 September 2021, 19:12:26 »
I got Q2 with my first PC so I never really played Quake 1 outside that multiplayer source port valve did in the early 00's.. Trying to remember the name of it its hard to Google.

Anyway I finished the new episode it looked lovely. Going to work through the original ones next.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #22 on: Sun, 10 October 2021, 10:43:30 »
I got Q2 with my first PC so I never really played Quake 1 outside that multiplayer source port valve did in the early 00's.. Trying to remember the name of it its hard to Google.

Team Fortress?

I own Quake on Good Old Games, which is taking its sweet time getting the enhanced edition, but, according to a mod on the forums, it is coming. I don't feel like paying for a game again that I already own. I would like to play multiplayer with everyone once I finally get it though.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 13 October 2021, 11:09:09 »
I feel like Dusk is the Quake II we always needed, but not the one we actually got.

Also last night I got through Quake e1m1 blindfolded. Not too bad being able to go off door opening and enemy sounds alone, I even got one of the secrets!

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 13 October 2021, 11:45:13 »
Haha, yes, E1M1 is good for muscle-memory.

And Dusk is awesome! I bought it this summer, and it's definitely old-school-inspired.

The real Quake II, though, is probably "Arcane Dimensions." New shotgun mechanics, new axe, and wildly ambitious levels.

Offline Shapey Fiend

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 19 October 2021, 18:57:56 »
I kind of like Quake II even if it's not quite as good.

Dusk is brilliant in every way. I've finished it twice kind of want to play through it again.

Got HROT the other day it's not half bad.

The Valve remake of Quake 1 I was thinking of is Deathmatch Classic or DMC. Apparently it's famously inactive I remember there being plenty of players..

Offline phinix

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 20 October 2021, 02:45:53 »
I need to try that Dusk you guys keep talking about it.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #27 on: Wed, 20 October 2021, 13:11:07 »
Yeah, Dusk is a kind of 'sequel to Quake that we needed' but didn't get, as noisyturtle said.

In terms of content, it's not really like Quake. But the graphics kinda feel like a Quake sequel.

Really, it feels like a mish-mash of things. Quake, Blood, Redneck Rampage, Hexen II, Rune. Mostly Blood, though.

You can see where I'm going with this. It has the vibe of the immediate post-Quake era, when FPS were becoming full-3D and experimenting with coloured-lighting. So the Quake to Half-Life era, in particular. Kinda PS1-ish, like a higher-res "Broken Helix" or PS1/N64 Doom or something.

phinix - I saw that you got a TKL. I'm sure it's good. I just received an NCR-80, which is like an $80 TKL [plus shipping], as it mimics the old Cherry way of doing things [plastic build and plateless]. Hasn't been built yet.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 20 October 2021, 15:47:54 »
So good to see Blood mentioned. Hands down my favorite old school shooter, and being a Build Engine game makes it even better. Everything about that game is so tightly designed, the movement feels great, the physics are almost perfect, the enemy mixup is (for the most part) great.

Blood, Dusk, and Quake share that same vibe of Eldritch cultist sort of based on reality level design that gets more otherworldly as you progress in the game. There's just something both familure and alien about those settings that really appeal to me. In those aforementioned games the lo-fi graphics actually aid and lend to the overall atmosphere, since things are just a bit less defined, your imagination is able to fill in what's not being seen. Think about when you first encountered a Shambler in Quake, the way you interpret and imagine it in your mind is a bit different for everyone.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 20 October 2021, 16:01:17 »
Yes. In fact, I think that the Quake devs said that they knew they had something special the first time they ran a 3D test and watched a Shambler stumble around a level.

Dusk seems like a sort of 'Blood 2,' in terms of setting and gameplay. Not that of the canonical 'Blood 2,' but more what you would expect from an immediate follow-up from Blood in the Quake engine.

Doom in particular had an 'abstract' level design that lent itself to player imagination. This was lost somewhat with Duke Nukem 3D. But I agree that Blood was spectacular for what it did in the Build engine.