Author Topic: Siig Minitouch Geekhack edition NEEDS switches~  (Read 1498 times)

Offline Buckling_Summer

• http://www.elitesportservices.com
Siig Minitouch Geekhack edition NEEDS switches~
« on: Sat, 18 November 2023, 06:47:00 »
Greetings there.

My precious minitouch has problems with the contact in 2 keys. The metal feet in Alps switch have detouched from the PCB.

1) What kind of switches can I find in the internet to replace them? Should I search for some alps clones specifically?

2) Has anyone ever replaced all the switches on the board with another alps switch (blue or other) ? Is it possible? It seems very extensive work though.

PRESENT POSSESSIONS:
 Buckling Spings: IBM Model M 82G2383 Lexmarkian (1995) / IBM Model F PC-AT keyboard 84 keys (6450200)
XM Simplified 1 (Monterey K110 or AK-CN2 or Hua-Jie) Siig MiniTouch KB-1948 GeekHack Spacesaver edition
----------------------------------

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
Re: Siig Minitouch Geekhack edition NEEDS switches~
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 21 November 2023, 08:57:12 »
You would need to find some Clicky White Alps switches on the aftermarket /r/mechmarket or Deskthority. Pretty sure they came originally with that. I would steer away from clones they aren't that good compared to the original. You could replace all the switches, but it takes a long time especially if you don't have experience you have to be careful not to burn any pads.
« Last Edit: Tue, 21 November 2023, 09:03:15 by Sup »
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline Buckling_Summer

• http://www.elitesportservices.com
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 21 November 2023, 13:04:55 »
You would need to find some Clicky White Alps switches on the aftermarket /r/mechmarket or Deskthority. Pretty sure they came originally with that. I would steer away from clones they aren't that good compared to the original. You could replace all the switches, but it takes a long time especially if you don't have experience you have to be careful not to burn any pads.

Thank you Sup for your help.

I started refreshing my ALPS switch knowledge.

I think that it came originally with Hua-Jie AK series ( AK-CN2 ) ..

It seems that I found them here

There are not strictly White Alps but anyway.
« Last Edit: Tue, 21 November 2023, 13:06:40 by Buckling_Summer »
PRESENT POSSESSIONS:
 Buckling Spings: IBM Model M 82G2383 Lexmarkian (1995) / IBM Model F PC-AT keyboard 84 keys (6450200)
XM Simplified 1 (Monterey K110 or AK-CN2 or Hua-Jie) Siig MiniTouch KB-1948 GeekHack Spacesaver edition
----------------------------------

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 21 November 2023, 14:37:33 »

Thank you Sup for your help.

I started refreshing my ALPS switch knowledge.

I think that it came originally with Hua-Jie AK series ( AK-CN2 ) ..

It seems that I found them here

There are not strictly White Alps but anyway.

Actually the AK-CN2 switches are vastly different from white complicated ALPS switches. Also TBH, the AK-CN2 switches will be harder to find than the ALPS SKCM whites. I would highly suggest getting a full batch of ALPS SKCM whites & replacing all the switches. If you are not confident you can do that yourself there are plenty of people out there who do build services or would just be willing to help a fellow enthusiast out. As for getting the switches https://karolingian.com/collections/catalog these guys have NOS SKCM blues & whites for sale. They are both a little pricey, but this literally the only place I know selling NOS SKCM ALPS switches. The only other avenue for getting such pristine stock would be to luck out & find a NOS KB wityh them in it, then harvest them out of that.

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 21 November 2023, 20:48:18 »
How many would you like? I’m pretty sure I have spares of the exact switch you’re looking for. DM me if you’re interested.

Offline pecansmend

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 28 November 2023, 01:58:12 »
Do you still have spare parts for that switch? I'm also looking.  :thumb: