Author Topic: (Interest check)- Custom black PS/2 white ALPS clicky keyboard  (Read 1996 times)

Offline Captain Hat

• Trade Count: (0)
    • http://www.computers4africa.org.uk
(Interest check)- Custom black PS/2 white ALPS clicky keyboard
« on: Wed, 26 October 2011, 05:07:16 »
I have in my possession a complicated white ALPS board with a busted controller, a black Dell AT102W (comp black ALPS) with a damaged F2 key and a white AT102W with a more or less pristine backplate.

Were I to combine the three I could produce, in the space of I would guess a couple of hours, a very nice variation on the AT102W with white complicated ALPS clicky keys and a customised white/grey/black key layout.

Before I do it, though, I was wondering- would anyone actually be interested in buying that?  I'd do it for myself, but I already have a very nice ALPS BS keyboard.  I'd do it for my brother, but I'm not sure how interested he'd actually be.  So all that's really left in my vicinity is you guys.  It'd be an interesting project for me, but it's not really gonna be worth my time if there isn't someone who's gonna want the end result.  Gut feeling says raw materials cost of about £20 as I'd be able to fix the other AT102W up afterwards and the broken keyboard is broken anyway plus maybe £16-20 worth of my time, plus postage (£7 or thereabouts with Royal Mail, or about £10-£12 for a courier within the UK, £12-15 in the EU (more for a courier service), costs outside the EU available on request.

I realise that's not a small amount, but it's roughly the cost to me of putting it together.

Alternatively, if anyone wants to just flat out buy the broken keyboard or any of my other stuff (there's a thread here) that's cool too.

Note that the broken board is on there as the one with the lead cut off- I soldered one on this morning and tested it, no joy :(.
In the land of the stupid, the half-witted man is king.

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #1 on: Thu, 27 October 2011, 13:26:34 »
how much do you want for everything, shipped to wyoming, in 'murican money?  On last check 1 USD was worth 1.6 GBP.

Edit: As in throw everything in a box, tape it up and send it over the ocean, you don't have to do anything.
« Last Edit: Thu, 27 October 2011, 13:29:23 by Internetlad »
"Beep . . . Beep . . . Beep" -Sputnik I

Visit the Typing Test and try!

fossala

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 27 October 2011, 13:38:26 »
1 USD is worth 0.6 GBP.

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 27 October 2011, 13:44:58 »
thanks for the correction, I meant that the other way around. good catch.

Offline Captain Hat

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 28 October 2011, 03:08:46 »
That's a good question.  The damaged black board is in good condition apart from the F2 key, and I didn't factor the white board into the materials cost because I can rebuild it (I have a couple of other spares) and sell it on for about £15.  If I were to send the basic components it would unfortunately mean either charging you the full cost of the white board or pulling the backplates out of the white and black boards myself, which is already a fair chunk of the work (though it would be cheaper than the total cost of the switch swap).

Cheapest option as far as I can tell would be:

-I take out the backplates from the black and white AT102Ws, remove the keys from the black backplate and nick the keys I need to repair the white one (not many, I already have a nearly-full set of lasered ALPS keys lying around)

-I then ship to you:

-Clean backplate with a bunch of white keys on
  -Black AT102W case, power cord and keyset (minus F2 key, which I don't have)
  -Broken white complicated ALPS board

Materials about the same as before, work on my part about £6-8, international shipping to Wyoming about £36, for a total cost of £62-£64, which comes out at roughly $103 in total.  

Yowch.

International shipping's a real *****.

Alternatively, I could ship both the white and black AT102Ws as-is, along with the broken board, for a total of about £35 plus shipping, which comes out at a total of £70 ($112 plus change) but you can build two working boards out of the bits instead of one.  That actually sounds like a better deal to me, though the boards are UK ISO layout, not a US layout.

Or, for an extra £5 ($8) I can supply a higher-quality white AT102W in nearly-new condition instead of the one I was planning to use which is merely in good second-hand condition.

For the record, I used the currency converter at XE.com for the calculations here.  £1 = $1.60905 at the time of writing.

Also, I have no idea at all about customs duties.  Because I'm a charity seller in the UK there's no VAT to pay here but I have no idea how that might affect anything.  I could mark it as low value or whatever, but then obviously you run the risk that if it gets lost there's much less compensation for the missing item.
« Last Edit: Fri, 28 October 2011, 06:43:18 by Captain Hat »

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 28 October 2011, 16:29:23 »
yeah I had figured that international shipping, even the lowest tier, would be crazy expensive.

Truth be told i'm looking into fooling around with vintage mech keyboards as a hobby and am lacking more for product than desire lol. Seemed like a fun project if it could have been done on the cheap but shipping really kills it. Thanks for taking the time to figure out what the cost would be.

Off topic but, you brits make excellent TV shows, love the comedies especially, so much better than the spoon fed tripe here in the states.

Offline Captain Hat

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 23 November 2011, 03:45:48 »
Well, long story short I did actually get some interest in this project.  The buyer asked for me to just put the white keyset in for now, in a black case.  It took a little longer than I expected, but I did eventually develop quite a fast, efficient method for taking ALPS switches apart and putting them back together- which helped.  The keys were also a little dirtier than I'd thought, so I did spend some time cleaning those also.

Anyway, the job at hand was to convert this;
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 32771[/ATTACH]

and this;
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 32772[/ATTACH]

into something special using parts from this:

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 32770[/ATTACH].

The first shot is the backplate I used, which came out of a white AT102W.  I used it primarily because it had no rust on it at all, and after cleaning it up a little it looked pretty damn' shiny:
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 32769[/ATTACH]

In this shot you can see I've already started converting the switches over.  The top half of any ALPS complicated switch is compatible with the bottom half of any ALPS complicated switch, which does help.  Also, the "clicky" plate from any ALPS switch, including the one from an XM or FUKKA, can be used to make any black ALPS switch into a clicky one.  The black and white switches do use different return springs, though:  I think the black switch's spring is slightly stiffer, though it can be hard to tell.  Anyway, I asked the buyer and he asked for the standard white springs so I used those.  This actually made things a lot easier, as the easiest way I found to remove the top half of an ALPS switch involves pulling the whole thing out intact, spring still present.

Basically what you do is you lever the upper casing loose from the clip however you do that (I used two Stanley knife blades, one in either side of the switch) but don't remove the switch yet- if you're pulling a lot of switches out you'll want to do this to at least a full row before you start actually pulling them out- and then get a very powerful magnet (I used a magnet from a hard drive reader head actuator) and put it in direct contact with the top of the switch while gripping the switch with the tips of your fingers.  Naturally this works better if the magnet is in the same hand as the one you're using to pull the switch out with.  Then you can pull the whole thing out in one go, the spring and click-leaf should come with it and you can just tuck the leaf into the switch with the slider fully depressed and place it on your workbench top down.  Easy!

Well maybe, maybe not, but anyway this was the result:
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 32774[/ATTACH]

As you can see, since my white ALPS board was a 102-key board and the AT102W is a 105-key board, I had to leave three switches as tactile non-clicky blacks.  There's a bit somewhere that I've seen on how to "convert" the tactile plate into a click-plate using a pair of pliers or some such, but I don't think the feel would be the same;  Anyway, the ones I've left are the Windows keys and the Windows function key thing, mostly on the basis that personally I almost literally never use them.  Everything else gets the full white ALPS treatment, and they're all complicated.

The keys I've used (after consulting with the buyer) are the set from the white AT102W, which have yellowed a little but are better quality than the other white keyset I've got (from an ACER board) and should give the board quite a distinctive look in the black case.  Since the white keys are laser etched, they should respond well to the retr0brite treatment anyway.
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 32775[/ATTACH]

At this stage, as you can see, I've put all the keys in and connected the PS/2 lead up.  I did some initial testing here, because it's easier to remove keys and fiddle with the internals when the  case is off the board, and I didn't plan to remove it once I'd got it on there.  I did have a couple of issues with switches not depressing cleanly, mostly due to bad spring alignment inside the switch, but I got it all sorted and all the keys depressed nice and crisply and (more importantly) everything still worked after all my messing around, so I went ahead and put the case back on:
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 32776[/ATTACH]

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 32773[/ATTACH]

And I think it looks quite striking, even if I do say so myself!  I'm actually thinking a full set of actually yellow or orange keys would work quite well on this board if you could find an ALPS set, as the Dell case is actually very dark blue, rather than actually jet black.

Anyway, that's this little project done- nothing particularly major here. but the result is quite a nice, unique keyboard.  I do also have a couple of white XM boards, so I can do more clicky ALPS conversions if people are interested, though the top half of an XM switch is a lot less compatible with the bottom half of a Complicated switch so that would be significantly more work (and thus cost) than this conversion was (with this one I could just swap the top half of the switch wholesale, whereas I'd need to remove and replace individual clicky/tactile leaves if I were to do that conversion).  Also, I only have one, maybe two decent ALPS keysets in white/beige remaining, so there might be less choice in terms of colour, and none of my other AT102W backplates are as clean as this one (most of them have corrosion issues ranging from extremely mild to moderate).