Author Topic: [GB]GSUS (New Panda) Linear Switch (price reduced to $0.6)  (Read 171564 times)

Offline SuperVan

[GB]GSUS (New Panda) Linear Switch (price reduced to $0.6)
« on: Sat, 01 December 2018, 11:27:38 »
Hi, guys,

I'm SuperVan. I'm pleased to announce that the Gsus Switches group buy is now live.

First of all, I want to express my sincere gratitude for friends who have supported me and apology to some Geekhack users who have supported me but I responded negatively. As you guys probably have seen on the IC thread, I received attacks from some with vicious intentions. These vicious attackers’ verbal abuse made me feel depressed. I regret having said something irrational when I feel I was being wronged. Sometimes I can't precisely express my thoughts because of a lack of solid grasp of English, compounded with cultural differences. However, some ill-intentioned attackers described me as a scammer, an unpleasant man, and a person who is only interested in profit in this cause. I countered their points with facts and most importantly, the timely delivery of Gsus. It is simply not fair to me to be defamed without any proof. In the United States, even the accused are innocent until proven guilty. I should have been offered the benefits of doubt, but not endless attacks. Before the actual testings of Nathan Kim, TOPCLACK and Manofinterests, some attackers said SuperVan is a scam. After these three well-regarded streamers confirmed that the Gsus switch is practically the same as the OG Panda, some continued to use other reasons to attack me. I stood up and fought hard to protect myself against these personal attacks. What’s interesting is, in this process, the attackers provided a lot of theories and arguments, but they never provided any actual proof. I think all they wanted to do was to force me to give up to run the GB. But at the end of the day, I think this will come to an end, and I am here, proudly announcing that Gsus switch will be available soon.

To put things into perspective, the past month is the most difficult time for me. I lost my elder cousin, who is also my best friend on Nov. 19th. He was only 31 years old. According to Chinese tradition, my family won't build a graveyard for him because he was an unmarried man and didn't have a child. His funeral service has been done in China, but I couldn't even attend his funeral. I knew nobody could feel my pain at that time, but I had experience traumatic events and this might have made me lost control in my emotions. That said, I feel very sorry for many people I have replied in a mad mood and I would like to apologize for that.

I'm a runner for sure, but It doesn't mean I'm not a keyboard fan. As a guy who have joined many group buys, what I hate most is waiting endlessly. So for this GB, I tried my best to improve the group buy process. The switches for the group buy are all purchase upfront with my own money, which also means I will ship your switches at the as soon as the GB payments are collected. I want to note that some people tried hard to emphasize the Gsus price will be 1.5 dollars. As a matter of fact, that is the starting price, and it can drop to $1. I am very confident about the quality of the Gsus and I am confident about my ability to deliver, so I have decided to change the pricing to a uniform price of $1 dollar per switch, with a MOQ of 10k. Note that this is products ready to ship, not something you typically need to wait six months to get (with a lot of anxiety and hassle). Considering my own financial and social costs I have incurred, and the risks I have taken, I think $1 is a reasonable price.

At the last, I hope you everyone will enjoy his or her life and enjoy the hobby of mechanical keyboards. You have the right to join or skip this GB, I will support all your decisions about the GB. I hope no one will detract this GB post with personal attacks, thank you.

IC thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=97651.0

Reviews
Nathan Kim's Review:

Manofinterests's Review:

Quakemz's Review:

Group Buy Information (Updated)
Name: GSUS Linear Switch (New Panda Switch)
Spring weight: 67g buttom out
Price: $0.6/pcs
Paypal fee: 4.4%
Shipping fee: $15 worldwide (shipping from China)
Deadline: 2018/12/19
Shipping Time: start at 2018/12/20

Join the GB here:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSf_IsUwOlJuz3xap-mD9QTvrVRzUH_HbVYQCOeFFS6LhiYCoA/viewform?usp=sf_link

« Last Edit: Sun, 09 December 2018, 15:57:52 by SuperVan »

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
Re: [GB]GSUS (New Panda) Linear Switch
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 01 December 2018, 13:42:58 »
Approval bump.  As a general reminder to prospective participants Caveat Emptor.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline clickityClackity

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 01 December 2018, 13:48:49 »
I literally had a dream about these 2 days ago. It's a sign!!

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 01 December 2018, 13:51:25 »
I literally had a dream about these 2 days ago. It's a sign!!

Today's the third day. Maybe it is a sign.

Offline ChrisSwires

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 01 December 2018, 13:51:52 »
I'll preface this by saying I'm sorry for your loss, and as difficult as it is, never take attacks, be they perceived or otherwise within keyboards personally. Everyone is chasing the best product, and sometimes thanks to the fact that we're behind the keyboard, comments come across as over personal or critical. That's not the intention. The sad fact of the group buy structure is that all the common person can do is theorise, so we do so. There was no personal malice meant on my part certainly.

And I'll end it buy saying at $1 - the same as the og panda. I'll be taking a punt and buying in.

Good look with the sale.

Offline futurecrime

• Get Zooted
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 01 December 2018, 13:58:04 »
Man Huey always gets caught on the worst freeze frames.

Offline txclack

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 01 December 2018, 14:01:05 »
Huey sexy af

Offline coffeeshopcoder

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 01 December 2018, 14:07:05 »
Price seems decent !! I think I’ll get some !!!

Given the reviews - why don’t you sell just the housings ?

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 01 December 2018, 14:13:04 »
Will preface this by giving my condolences for your loss, and appreciate the effort put forth to this project.

It is very difficult to obtain switches on hand ready to ship and I believe 1$ is a pretty fair break given the amount of money and effort put forth however the means.

I'll be in on this to say the least.

Huey hot af.

Offline Juiceion

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 01 December 2018, 14:14:33 »
When is doorstep delivery to the US estimated to be (East coast for me)? I know myself and a lot of other people are students pushing to the end of the semester and I don't want to send the switches to a dead mailbox and risk my campus returning them to sender.
« Last Edit: Sat, 01 December 2018, 14:23:55 by Juiceion »

Offline asphyxia

• i'm lovely
    • Twitter
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 01 December 2018, 14:16:03 »
i am ready for the holy gsus
TGR 910 CE / Kmac Happy HHKB / LZ CLS H / Duck Eagle V2 / Poly Singa / TX65 / DC60

Offline ReverbSlush

• 16/52 RNG score
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 01 December 2018, 14:18:50 »
Deadline: 2018/12/26

I'm gonna hopefully pick some up if I get a little extra xmas $$ the day before.  I have a bunch of trues so why not?  :thumb:

Offline phatty

• dailyclack.com
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 01 December 2018, 14:33:57 »
SuperVan did the impossible.

All the while going through some tough life challenges. There's been ups and downs, and Pandas are basically here to stay.

I was doubtful and had a little fun leading up to the end result.

Sure, there's been some back and forth but he's proved he will listen to the community. He's changed the moq from 50k to 10k, and dropped the starting price to $1.

Not much more can be said besides the fact that this is the jump in point. Pretty much exactly what you wanted - better than. They're not $5 panda, they're $1 gsus. Why wouldn't you buy?

Congratulations SuperVan.

Ps, don't think about the China buy, think about mechmarket.

Offline snelltrail

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 01 December 2018, 14:39:27 »
Hi Supervan. Sorry for the difficulties you’ve been going through, and thank you for all your hard work and investment in bringing these switches back to the market.

Will all the invoices be sent out once the GB ends? Or will they be sent out progressively since it is now one price? My wallet needs to recover from GMK Carbon haha.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 01 December 2018, 14:46:49 »
Hi Supervan. Sorry for the difficulties you’ve been going through, and thank you for all your hard work and investment in bringing these switches back to the market.

Will all the invoices be sent out once the GB ends? Or will they be sent out progressively since it is now one price? My wallet needs to recover from GMK Carbon haha.

In for about 550 dollars of GMK carbon, still hoping some kits get made

Offline mrpetrov

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 01 December 2018, 14:56:39 »
In. Thank you SuperVan and good luck with the GB mate.

Offline _ODIN_

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 01 December 2018, 14:58:08 »
happy to see the new price. I will definitely get some switches.

Offline OtherAndrew

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 01 December 2018, 15:01:20 »

weird flex but ok

Offline iNViSiBiLiTi

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 01 December 2018, 15:03:21 »

60%: Prophet, GSKT-00 x2, Poly GSKT-00-Z, Weaven, Sangeo60, Unikorn R2.1, Ciel60

TKL: TGR Jane V2, Jane V2 CE, KFE, Noxary 280 S, Acrylic Unicorn, Igris V1, LZ-GHv2

Bulgogi Board (VA104M), Belle En Rose

Offline kakan

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 01 December 2018, 15:16:40 »
I'm sorry about your cousin. I  hope the GB goes smoothly for you.

Offline moonux

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 01 December 2018, 15:24:18 »
Nice job SuperVan, thanks for doing this. Fair price, joining the GB.

Offline JubJubCity

« Reply #21 on: Sat, 01 December 2018, 15:54:27 »
Joined looking forward to these.

Offline Nigolski

« Reply #22 on: Sat, 01 December 2018, 16:40:49 »
In for 90! Can't wait to try these out  ;D

Offline rondg

« Reply #23 on: Sat, 01 December 2018, 16:52:16 »
Thanks for these SuperVan! Now I can finally experience what a holy panda (or holy gsus) feels like.

Offline Quakemz

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 01 December 2018, 17:23:55 »
Happy to see the uniform price. I think that sets people's minds more at ease and, it's very cool that people will get these SOON.  :thumb:

I know my stream was REALLY long, at around 5.5 hours, so I'll summarize my findings here:

My testing revealed very much what Manofinterests' science did. The switch feels virtually identical to the original. Mine actually feel smoother than the original, though perhaps a bit wobblier.

I made [lubed] Holy Pandas/Gsus' and compared them side by side with my original Holy Panda board. In terms of feel, it feelsgoodman.

If I had the time, I would have broken-in the switches to produce a smoother final version, but lubing certainly helped.

The only difference in feel I can notice is actually at the start of the upstroke, as depicted in Manofinterests' force graphs.

In real-world typing, it's basically impossible to notice, but if you intentionally press very slowly, you can feel the start of the upstroke is a tad sharper than the more original Holy Panda.

It's worth noting that, because of this, some larger stabilized keys CAN have trouble returning, depending on what spring you use. For this test, I used the stock 67g spring provided in the Gsus'.

If I press my stabilized enter key too slowly, it gets stuck. Pressing it normally gives it enough bounce to return properly, but this is still worth keeping in mind.

My other stabilized keys work well enough, but do feel a tad sluggish on return. Anyone desiring to use lighter than 67g springs in these should keep this in mind for their stabilized keys, at the very least.

55g springs worked well enough in my hand with the Holy Gsus, but probably not so on larger keys. 78g spring reduced the tactility for me, noticeably, so I avoided that.

I still want to test with 72g springs or perhaps a progressive rate 68g.

Please let me know if you have any questions!

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 01 December 2018, 18:04:54 »
Happy to see the uniform price. I think that sets people's minds more at ease and, it's very cool that people will get these SOON.  :thumb:

I know my stream was REALLY long, at around 5.5 hours, so I'll summarize my findings here:

My testing revealed very much what Manofinterests' science did. The switch feels virtually identical to the original. Mine actually feel smoother than the original, though perhaps a bit wobblier.

I made [lubed] Holy Pandas/Gsus' and compared them side by side with my original Holy Panda board. In terms of feel, it feelsgoodman.

If I had the time, I would have broken-in the switches to produce a smoother final version, but lubing certainly helped.

The only difference in feel I can notice is actually at the start of the upstroke, as depicted in Manofinterests' force graphs.

In real-world typing, it's basically impossible to notice, but if you intentionally press very slowly, you can feel the start of the upstroke is a tad sharper than the more original Holy Panda.

It's worth noting that, because of this, some larger stabilized keys CAN have trouble returning, depending on what spring you use. For this test, I used the stock 67g spring provided in the Gsus'.

If I press my stabilized enter key too slowly, it gets stuck. Pressing it normally gives it enough bounce to return properly, but this is still worth keeping in mind.

My other stabilized keys work well enough, but do feel a tad sluggish on return. Anyone desiring to use lighter than 67g springs in these should keep this in mind for their stabilized keys, at the very least.

55g springs worked well enough in my hand with the Holy Gsus, but probably not so on larger keys. 78g spring reduced the tactility for me, noticeably, so I avoided that.

Thanks! By breaking in the switch, do you mean retooling the base?

Offline Solotov

« Reply #26 on: Sat, 01 December 2018, 18:25:45 »
In for 180  :thumb:
Flex is love, flex is life.

Offline Quakemz

« Reply #27 on: Sat, 01 December 2018, 18:29:22 »

Thanks! By breaking in the switch, do you mean retooling the base?

I just mean using it more, so it becomes a little smoother. For example, with linears I lube, I often use them stock/unlubed for a couple weeks to smooth them out a bit before lubing, because the better a switch is before lubing, the better it can be after lubing. If I had the time, I would have used them without lube for a while to forcibly smooth them out a little.

Offline otanishock

• One of the cool kids :>
  • ファーストラブ
« Reply #28 on: Sat, 01 December 2018, 18:36:48 »

Hi Quakemz. Thanks for your input. Quick question. How do these new Holy Gsus fare against the new v2 Zealios?

Offline dPaK

« Reply #29 on: Sat, 01 December 2018, 18:38:09 »
In for 90, seems not perfectly equals, but virtually-equals and is just fine for me to be able to test Panda. Glad for the new 1$ price, I think it is very right, it is wise to rectify and now most people should be happy.

Offline Quakemz

« Reply #30 on: Sat, 01 December 2018, 19:14:05 »

Hi Quakemz. Thanks for your input. Quick question. How do these new Holy Gsus fare against the new v2 Zealios?

Great question:

I think they are just different, so hard to nail down an overall winner. Here is how I feel about it: The tactility is fairly similar, but placed slightly differently. The Zealios v2 practically start you in the bump when you press, leaving a bit more dead space after the bump, if you ask me.

Holy Panda is basically the same kind of tactility, long round bump, but moved down slightly, so it feels like you start the tactility with the press instead of being "already in it", if that makes sense. Both offer a very nice round tactile bump that I love. Holy Panda tactility feels a bit longer to me, which I actually prefer, though the Zealios v2 have a bit larger of a bump and a bit more stability, while also being smoother, cheaper, and less effort than a Holy Panda. Trade-offs either way, methinks. Regardless, I will VERY happily use both, very often.   :)

Offline Shados

« Reply #31 on: Sat, 01 December 2018, 19:46:08 »
I'll preface this by saying I'm sorry for your loss, and as difficult as it is, never take attacks, be they perceived or otherwise within keyboards personally. Everyone is chasing the best product, and sometimes thanks to the fact that we're behind the keyboard, comments come across as over personal or critical. That's not the intention. The sad fact of the group buy structure is that all the common person can do is theorise, so we do so. There was no personal malice meant on my part certainly.

And I'll end it buy saying at $1 - the same as the og panda. I'll be taking a punt and buying in.

Good look with the sale.

Just a correction, the original Pandas weren't $1/switch at GB, that was post-GB retail price. During GB, the 110 packs were $70 USD/ea, so about $0.64/switch.

Offline neojonathan

« Reply #32 on: Sat, 01 December 2018, 21:22:17 »
Still thinking about these at the moment, though got zilents v2 and healios on the way :)

Offline adb7

« Reply #33 on: Sat, 01 December 2018, 21:27:27 »
In for 82, pretty excited!

Offline gasp

• Formerly 'boop' (NTBCW Booper)
    • none
« Reply #34 on: Sat, 01 December 2018, 21:31:50 »
I appreciate the lowered price for sure. The price being almost double the og is still hard to swallow,  especially for something that will be used exclusively for modding, but at the end of the day I'll still probably join. I do agree that maybe running the housings as well at some point may be a good idea? Just a thought.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #35 on: Sat, 01 December 2018, 21:36:41 »
I appreciate the lowered price for sure. The price being almost double the og is still hard to swallow,  especially for something that will be used exclusively for modding, but at the end of the day I'll still probably join. I do agree that maybe running the housings as well at some point may be a good idea? Just a thought.

SuperVan indicates on Reddit that he has no plan to run a future Gsus GB: https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/a25l37/gbgsus_new_panda_linear_switch/eavb3gp

Offline mrpetrov

« Reply #36 on: Sat, 01 December 2018, 22:00:36 »

SuperVan indicates on Reddit that he has no plan to run a future Gsus GB: https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/a25l37/gbgsus_new_panda_linear_switch/eavb3gp

That leaves a lot of wiggle room and (edit: I) wouldn't take it as gospel (ha!). His plans may change of course, or I suppose supervan may sell the molds or a grant a licence to use the molds to someone else.
« Last Edit: Sat, 01 December 2018, 22:18:08 by mrpetrov »

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #37 on: Sat, 01 December 2018, 22:11:25 »

That leaves a lot of wiggle room and wouldn't take it as gospel (ha!). His plans may change of course, or I suppose supervan may sell the molds or a grant a licence to use the molds to someone else.

True. License it and count money :)

I am curious who holds the Panda/Gsus IP now (or is there one).

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #38 on: Sat, 01 December 2018, 22:32:56 »
Grab a new switch opener by Louis if you plan to mod many holy Gsus: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=98325.0

GB ending soon I think.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #39 on: Sat, 01 December 2018, 22:55:44 »

That leaves a lot of wiggle room and wouldn't take it as gospel (ha!). His plans may change of course, or I suppose supervan may sell the molds or a grant a licence to use the molds to someone else.

True. License it and count money :)

I am curious who holds the Panda/Gsus IP now (or is there one).

the patent expired on the design, which is why we can have all these custom switches in the first place
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline lanyusea

« Reply #40 on: Sun, 02 December 2018, 01:53:23 »
support  :thumb:
HHKB Type-s / 4x KMAC Happy / 3x Duck Viper v1 / 2x Duck Viper v2 / 4x Duck Viper Duck TCV3 / Red Scarf 77 / 2x Infinity 60 / 2x ALF HHKB / LZ-CE / FJELL / Canoe / Canoe PC / Canoe FE / ARES Prototype / 2x Ares / LC-CLSh / TX60 / YODA2 / E6-V2 / E6-V2 FE / CAMP LC60 / 2x EM 7 / 4x Leaf 60 / UHK / Project F / Polaris / 4x Duck Viper v3 / TX60 v2 / Thermal / Matrix Falcon / TX60 v3 / 2x TMO50 / 2x Dolice / Dolphin 65 / Dolphin 60 / Plenty of keycaps

Offline _ODIN_

« Reply #41 on: Sun, 02 December 2018, 02:44:30 »
Do these have 5 pins (PCB mount)?

Gesendet von meinem H8416 mit Tapatalk

Offline Quakemz

« Reply #42 on: Sun, 02 December 2018, 04:19:15 »
Do these have 5 pins (PCB mount)?

Gesendet von meinem H8416 mit Tapatalk

Judging by the samples me and the other reviewers got, no, they are plate-mount, sadly.

Offline SuperVan

« Reply #43 on: Sun, 02 December 2018, 04:55:08 »
Hi guys, thanks for your reply. I cannot run the GB without your helps and supports. I will prove it in my action that I will live up to your expectations.

Offline audax989

• NOM NOM NOM
    • Guam Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #44 on: Sun, 02 December 2018, 05:22:20 »
will the stems be changed in the gb? they looked a bit rough on huey's review.

Offline phatty

• dailyclack.com
« Reply #45 on: Sun, 02 December 2018, 05:23:19 »
Does it matter?

There are better linear switches

Offline feralfoo

• Software developer and mech keyboard nut
« Reply #46 on: Sun, 02 December 2018, 05:34:08 »
Great work @SuperVan, I am definitely in for a few boards worth :thumb:
HHKB Pro JP + Hasu controller, Realforce RF87U55G, G60 Retro, QK65

Offline audax989

• NOM NOM NOM
    • Guam Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #47 on: Sun, 02 December 2018, 06:18:34 »
Does it matter?

There are better linear switches

I would think so, I am paying $1 per switch and I expect it to be a decent linear at least.

edited
« Last Edit: Sun, 02 December 2018, 06:25:12 by audax989 »

Offline Stallon

« Reply #48 on: Sun, 02 December 2018, 06:58:25 »
How many switches sold SuperVan and when the GB ends?

Offline wixxzblu

« Reply #49 on: Sun, 02 December 2018, 07:07:11 »
Can we atleast have a title change? its obviously not a 'panda', the leaf, housing (different color) and stem is all different. At best 'Panda clone'.