Author Topic: Advice on sourcing individual key switch parts  (Read 765 times)

Offline CbR4

Advice on sourcing individual key switch parts
« on: Wed, 16 June 2021, 08:51:32 »
Hi all,

I've searched for this topic or similar in the forum but couldn't see any threads about this. Please direct me to a different thread if my answers lay elsewhere.

I'm relatively new in the mechanical keyboard scene and have really been enjoying "frankenswitching" of sorts and creating my own switches with different feels. I have found that my options in buying separate parts is limited though. I can get my hands on Gateron yellow and brown stems, as well as linear bottom housings, but not much else beyond those.

I am personally a fan of tactile switches at the moment, so I am wondering - does anyone have any experience with buying tactile bottom housings by themselves and/or different stems beyond the basic yellow and brown ones?

Top housings seem to be easier to come by, and springs are available almost everywhere, it just seems like bottom housings and stems that are more uncommon.

If possible, I am hoping to avoid buying "pre-made" (don't know what to call them) switches for the sole purpose of disassembling them.

Thanks for your help!

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

• buck buck, cluck cluck, squawk squawk
Re: Advice on sourcing individual key switch parts
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 16 June 2021, 10:08:00 »
You are mostly gonna be out of luck on this one, options are mostly by whole switches or leftover parts from other modders.

Although I do know 415keys sells umhyoe stems or however they are spelled as well as gazzew selling individual parts on his Reddit store.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline CbR4

Re: Advice on sourcing individual key switch parts
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 17 June 2021, 07:20:16 »
Damn, yeah, I had thought that might be the case. Thanks for the heads up anyway! I'll just have to keep an eye out for someone else that has done some switch modding and might have some spares.

It's a bit of a bummer, I'd been really enjoying playing around with different stems and switch combinations. Not being able to buy the parts themselves just makes it that bit more expensive/out of reach.