Author Topic: Can anyone positively identify this keyboard?  (Read 1894 times)

Offline Stupidface

• Looks like I picked the wrong week to joinGeekhack
Can anyone positively identify this keyboard?
« on: Thu, 14 October 2021, 23:28:44 »
This photograph has been bandied about a fair bit:

277260-0

One thing I have not seen, however, is any mention of the specific make and model of keyboard that was performing triple duty as a keyboard, an ashtray, and a desktop atrocity*.

Can anyone identify it?  I am vaguely reminded of one of the economy models that IBM was churning out shortly before they decided they did not want to make keyboards anymore, but I am grasping at straws with that guess.

*And, quite possibly, a headrest, should the hands in the photo start reaching for that bottle on the right.
« Last Edit: Thu, 14 October 2021, 23:33:59 by Stupidface »

Offline Findecanor

Re: Can anyone positively identify this keyboard?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 15 October 2021, 08:17:40 »
It looks to me as if the Esc key is 1.25u, but I'm not entirely sure.
A keyboard with an 1.25u Esc key and the text on modifiers small and top-aligned would BTC 5140 with Windows keys.

Many 5140 were made for Packard Bell, in at least two case variations, one of which is unique to Packard Bell.
But I don't know a 5140 case variation that has that detail in the upper right corner.

The layout could be German. More likely also because there's a bottle with German text there also.
BTW. Funny that there's a box of antacids ... next to the cigarettes and alcohol. Alcohol and cigarettes upset the stomach.
« Last Edit: Fri, 15 October 2021, 08:28:17 by Findecanor »

Offline norolim

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 18 October 2021, 12:35:58 »
It's a BTC 5121.

Offline Stupidface

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 26 October 2021, 23:24:41 »
BTW. Funny that there's a box of antacids ... next to the cigarettes and alcohol. Alcohol and cigarettes upset the stomach.

Yes, I had wondered about the cigarettes/alcohol/antacids trifecta as well (although I suppose if you reach for the bottle on the right often enough, the upset stomach won't seem nearly as bad). 

A keyboard with an 1.25u Esc key and the text on modifiers small and top-aligned would BTC 5140 with Windows keys.

Between the poor picture quality and the keyboard-as-ashtray bit, I don't know if we'll ever be able to say for sure, but that sounds like a good guess.  I favour it myself because, from what I can make out, the BTC 5140 sounds like a mediocre keyboard at best and I would hate to think that someone was ruining a good one.

(Granted, a keyboard owner is perfectly at liberty to use his keyboard as an ashtray should he feel so inclined.)

Thank you for the reply.

Offline Stupidface

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 26 October 2021, 23:52:12 »

It's a BTC 5121.

Thank you for the reply; that is a great picture.

Perhaps I am alone in this, but I am always impressed with keyboards that have worn-away lettering because I grew up with Big Blue keyboards that had the lettering moulded into (as opposed to printed onto) the keys, making it impossible for them to wear away.

Offline mollytat

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 27 October 2021, 07:37:12 »
Sounds like the keyboard of a real IT person at home, the kind of freelance work where you don't take advantage of all the opportunities that remote work and free hours give you, you don't lead a healthy lifestyle and don't feel relaxed, of course there is no sport, it's definitely not a lifestyle for me