Author Topic: Logitech GX Blue vs Razer Green - Same specs but feel way different  (Read 2037 times)

Offline EZG

Hey guys,

I'd like to hear your thought about why these switches feel so different while having almost the same specs.
It's even weirder as the spec differences feel inverted to me.

Some details:
- Logitech GX Blue - 50 / 60 / 2 / 4
- Razer Green - 50 / 55 / 1.9 / 4
(Actuation force / Tactile force / Actuation point / Travel distance)

While using it, Razer Green feel like they need more force and to be pushed deeper to activate. But that's not what the specs suggest. Which is weird because after using both for month it's definitely how I feel.
Razer Green feel so much better to me, it meets what I'm expecting from a switch. I like that it's stiffer and that I have to push deeper, but again according to the specs my brain is broken. It's important to me to understand why the specs are counter intuitive and why they feel so different because I'm looking for my next clicky switch and I'm hesitating between a few options. The only thing I have to make my choice is specs, and it seems that it's not always what makes the difference. I know I have the option of buying a switch tester but it doesn't tell the whole story either since I will not be able to reproduce a full typing experience with only one switch of each.

Let me know what you think ! Have a great day !

EDIT: I hate Razer, so I hate loving their switches so much at the moment.
« Last Edit: Fri, 15 October 2021, 00:41:55 by EZG »

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
Re: Logitech GX Blue vs Razer Green - Same specs but feel way different
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 15 October 2021, 13:18:04 »
Take a look at the force curve. The blues drop off almost immediately after actuation while the green's tactile bump is round. That could be what you're feeling.
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline EZG

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 15 October 2021, 13:31:25 »
Take a look at the force curve. The blues drop off almost immediately after actuation while the green's tactile bump is round. That could be what you're feeling.

It could be that. It's probably the fact that when I press the GX Blue it becomes very soft very fast so it tricks my mind thinking there is a shorter travel time. While I like the fact that the Razer Green is harder to press and that I have to keep applying a good amount of force to actually trigger it.

But waw, if 2 switches with the same specs can feel that different I'm doomed. When I say same specs I'm not talking about the curve you're mentioning obviously.
I'm wondering how I'm gonna be able to pick my "best" clicky switch. Probably going to have to buy that KBD clicky switches tester. The fact that I want my next switch to let the light pass through is the only thing allowing me to remove some options from the list.

Thanks for the answer.

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 15 October 2021, 13:39:29 »

But waw, if 2 switches with the same specs can feel that different I'm doomed. When I say same specs I'm not talking about the curve you're mentioning obviously.

There's so much more to a switch than just the actuation force and switch travel. You're going to have a rough time if you only consider those base stats. Obviously there's the force curve. There's spring type, length, material. There's switch housing material: bottom, top, and stem. You have to consider the plate material, case material, and case mount. Even case screw placement will change switch feel.

In other words: there will never be a "best" switch. There's only what you're looking for in that moment. If you really want to find your favorite switch, you're going to need to control as many of those variables as possible. I'd recommend grabbing a hotswap board and going from there.

To that end, there could be a handful of reasons you haven't considered and can't control causing a difference in feel between the blues and greens.
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u