Author Topic: Advice on kit to re-use Matias switches  (Read 985 times)

Offline batfink

Advice on kit to re-use Matias switches
« on: Sun, 09 February 2020, 05:38:16 »
I have a old Matias keyboard which is broken, and was thinking it might be a nice project if I could re-use the switches and caps from it to create a new ergonomic mechanical keyboard from a kit. As I understand it, that means I need something which supports ALPS compatible switches, but most kits seem to be designed for Cherry. I haven't built a keyboard before, and have only done a small amount soldering, so as a first dip of my toe in the keyboard-building water, I'd be wanting a project which is not too complex.

As for the type of keyboard: I'm interested in an ergonomic keyboards, preferably split, but if not, at least without a single long spacebar. ISO-like is preferred, but would also consider trying ortho or non-traditional designs. Ideally it would strike the balance between being minimal and portable, so around 60%-ish size wise would be the sweet spot.

Avoiding excessive shipping/customs charges would be a factor too (I'm based in the UK).

It's quite a long list of criteria, so maybe I'm being too optimistic here... but can you recommend a reasonably priced kit that would meet these criteria?

Offline Lanrefni

Re: Advice on kit to re-use Matias switches
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 09 February 2020, 06:46:37 »
Look at keeb.io,most of their boards support both Alps and MX

Offline mustardgreens

Re: Advice on kit to re-use Matias switches
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 10 February 2020, 00:00:30 »
I don't have an answer for your question but I believe the newer matias switches are a considerable improvement on their old switches. That's just what I've heard. Might be worthwhile to look into it if you plan on using the board regularly.