Author Topic: anti-static mat question  (Read 5709 times)

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
anti-static mat question
« on: Tue, 16 January 2018, 11:59:00 »
Moved to a new house several months back.  For some reason, the static in my computer room is just crazy.  On most of my metal case keyboards, I've been able to tape off all contact where case meets any PCB components.  However, I have a new case that I can't seem to isolate.  This results in a small shock and rebooting of the keyboard a few times per day if I don't remember to discharge my static on the desk handle beside me.

I know a humidifier would help some, but I find them loud and uncomfortable.  Has anyone ever tried an anti-static mat?

I'm wondering if a mat at my feet would eliminate static even though I'm sitting in a chair.  Anyone with experience in the static category.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: anti-static mat question
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 16 January 2018, 12:06:28 »
When you rub a metal surface on the PC,  and it feels slightly fuzzy, a very light pins-and-needle feeling

This means__ your house's earth-ground (bottom pin of 3prong plug) isn't hooked up yet, or it was removed at some point by the previous owner, or perhaps it's not hooked up in all rooms.

If you're just getting discharges from your body TO metal surfaces,  that's normal. Your air is too dry, you need a humidity system added to your furnace..

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 16 January 2018, 13:00:14 »
When you rub a metal surface on the PC,  and it feels slightly fuzzy, a very light pins-and-needle feeling

This means__ your house's earth-ground (bottom pin of 3prong plug) isn't hooked up yet, or it was removed at some point by the previous owner, or perhaps it's not hooked up in all rooms.

If you're just getting discharges from your body TO metal surfaces,  that's normal. Your air is too dry, you need a humidity system added to your furnace..

I understand.  Yes, this is just static discharge.  I'll try a humidifier in this room to see if it helps.  All the more reason to hope for some nice plastic custom cases in 2018!    :p

Offline Tactile

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 16 January 2018, 13:20:06 »
You could try a static dissipative desk mat. Be sure to ground it.
REΛLFORCE

Offline ErgoMacros

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 16 January 2018, 13:59:13 »

Hardware stores have inexpensive testers for this. Doesn't hurt to test all the sockets in a new home.
Example: https://www.amazon.com/Amprobe-ST-102B-Socket-Tester-GFCI/dp/B008E07HM2/ref=sr_1_7
Today's quote: '...“but then the customer successfully broke that.”

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 16 January 2018, 14:38:59 »

Hardware stores have inexpensive testers for this. Doesn't hurt to test all the sockets in a new home.
Example: https://www.amazon.com/Amprobe-ST-102B-Socket-Tester-GFCI/dp/B008E07HM2/ref=sr_1_7

Harbor FREIGHT !!!! + 20% COUPON !!!!

https://www.harborfreight.com/electrical-receptacle-tester-with-gfci-diagnosis-32907.html

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 16 January 2018, 17:30:56 »
I mean, it has to be static discharge from me to the keyboard.  I've been here for about 6 months now and never had this issue before.  But the air in the house it very dry b/c it's 10 degrees outside and the heater is running non-stop.  I set up a humidifier right beside my desk, so I hope that will help.  I'm using a keyboard with a plastic case for now.  However, if I touch the usb connector without discharging on something first i still get a light shock.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 16 January 2018, 17:52:03 »
i remember years ago, they came up with these anti static slippers.. can't remember,

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 16 January 2018, 18:08:53 »
i remember years ago, they came up with these anti static slippers.. can't remember,

Oh god, I need those.  Not only b/c they would be crazy practical but because it would only help to complete the picture of me surrounded by my keyboards and heaps of keyboard parts in my anti-static slippers. 

Offline gak1234

[pwnd by Massdrop]
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 31 January 2018, 11:35:39 »
[pwnd by Massdrop]
« Last Edit: Fri, 06 July 2018, 08:07:56 by gak1234 »

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 31 January 2018, 13:00:23 »
I use Bertech ESD mats in my hobby room (30x60 inch) and on my computer desk.  Just remember to wire up the ground (I connect it to the screw holding the wall plate to the electrical socket), and touch the mat before you touch the keyboard or anything else.

https://bertech.com/product-category/esd-worksurface-mat-kits/

Thanks for the link  :thumb:

Offline gak1234

[pwnd by Massdrop]
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 31 January 2018, 13:20:46 »
[pwnd by Massdrop]
« Last Edit: Fri, 06 July 2018, 08:08:08 by gak1234 »

Offline ddot

• Master of Suspense
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 31 January 2018, 14:59:05 »
You can get anti static mats off ebay for pretty cheap.  No personal comment on the quality though.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Green-Desktop-Anti-Static-ESD-Grounding-Mat-For-Phone-Tablet-Repair-300x400mm/391133577350

Or maybe you just need to tape off the whole case in resistive tape.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1Roll-10mm-33m-Adhesives-Tape-Heat-Resistant-Anti-Static-PCB-SMT-Tapes-Useful/391825803559

Offline typo

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 19 February 2018, 18:53:51 »
tp, good call but it sounds like his issue is humidity. if you have forced air certainly get a humidifier. if radiators you are stuck. portable ones suck. not running spacepac just for humidifier but you could if you have ac and humidifiers. your building is being destroyed. in case you own it. of course water on windows is worse destruction. a good whole house bypass is $5-800 installed. if you are handy the units can be had as low as $180. it is very easy to do unless you have no skill at all. that is only with forced air though. to test this take a blanket or towel. rub it together. then touch it. if you get zapped it is humidity. bad for you and building. still, check electrical ground. if you do not own you are moving buddy if there is no ground and no humidifier! if you do own big bucks ahead. humidity just slowly does damage missing electrical ground kills you with no warning. if it is just a humidifier you need no big deal. I do not even use mine and this place has 7 furnaces it is 46% in here. it is a newer tight home though. it is old wood structures absorbing the moisture.