Author Topic: Unpopular Keyboard Opinions  (Read 1248888 times)

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
Re: Unpopular Keyboard Opinions
« Reply #150 on: Sat, 08 November 2014, 08:52:00 »
2.25 Lshift is blasphemy so is 2.75 Rshift

What about 1.25 left shift?
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #151 on: Sat, 08 November 2014, 09:44:34 »
2.25 Lshift is blasphemy so is 2.75 Rshift

What about 1.25 left shift?
1.25 is just the best , additional key on pratical position . That's why ISO is superior to ANSI .

ANSI is stupid for this and the key above enter , why would you put an regular key between enter and backspace wtf ameri***s .

Azerty Propagandiste

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #152 on: Sat, 08 November 2014, 10:31:40 »
1.25 [left shift] is just the best , additional key on pratical position . That's why ISO is superior to ANSI .
Except if your hands are smaller than average, then the left shift becomes quite hard to reach. (For instance, my wife finds the ANSI right shift essentially unusable; on ISO both shift keys are unusable for her.)

In any event, all these layouts are truly bad. ISO / ANSI / JIS / whatever, it’s bad piled on bad piled on bad, for >100 years.

wtf ameri***s.
I know this is the “unpopular opinions” thread, but can you keep this kind of crassness confined to 4chan? Thanks.

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #153 on: Sat, 08 November 2014, 13:50:47 »
6. clipping stabs is a placebo

wut

I can feel a very clear difference between clipped and unclipped stabs. Clipped stabs still interfere with the feel more than costar but they're far less mushy.

Offline tbc

« Reply #154 on: Sat, 08 November 2014, 14:28:02 »
1.25 [left shift] is just the best , additional key on pratical position . That's why ISO is superior to ANSI .
Except if your hands are smaller than average, then the left shift becomes quite hard to reach. (For instance, my wife finds the ANSI right shift essentially unusable; on ISO both shift keys are unusable for her.)

if you're shorter than 6ft, you will pretty much hit the ansi lshift on the right side.  aka you will completely miss it on iso.

the position should be REVERSED.  1x key, 1.25x lshift key.

iso is stupid.
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline Fnzzy

« Reply #155 on: Sat, 08 November 2014, 14:28:45 »
EVERY single keycap set by WASD keyboards looks like ass.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #156 on: Sat, 08 November 2014, 14:58:52 »

if you're shorter than 6ft, you will pretty much hit the ansi lshift on the right side.  aka you will completely miss it on iso.

iso is stupid.
That's quite an assumption about ones typing technique.

Offline mogo

• handshoes and horse grenades
« Reply #157 on: Sat, 08 November 2014, 15:19:33 »
I was bored and waiting for my coffee to take hold, so I decided to tally the unpopular opinions, summarizing them into categories. There is no nuance to this chart and some opinions were either clearly not unpopular (60% is awesome is not an unpopular opinion) or were too lengthy and specific to be worth trying to simplify. Through my extremely unscientific analysis, I present to you the most popular "unpopular opinions" of the thread as of the time of posting!

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #158 on: Sat, 08 November 2014, 15:23:14 »
I was bored and waiting for my coffee to take hold, so I decided to tally the unpopular opinions, summarizing them into categories. There is no nuance to this chart and some opinions were either clearly not unpopular (60% is awesome is not an unpopular opinion) or were too lengthy and specific to be worth trying to simplify. Through my extremely unscientific analysis, I present to you the most popular "unpopular opinions" of the thread as of the time of posting!

Show Image

Love is the true unpopular opinion.  :'(

Offline DasHHKBProM

« Reply #159 on: Sat, 08 November 2014, 15:26:53 »
I only like sharing my love for mech keyboards on the internet and not in real life.
outside perspective looking in, its kinda weird, but i love keyboards nonetheless.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #160 on: Sat, 08 November 2014, 15:27:23 »

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #161 on: Sat, 08 November 2014, 15:48:30 »

iso is stupid.
1x key + 1.25 lshift make sense . Just like the 1.25 Rshift + 1x key . And it would be a great spot for a fn button .

Azerty Propagandiste

Offline Rainbow_

• zealio master race
« Reply #162 on: Sat, 08 November 2014, 16:24:27 »
tbh I hate all Cherry MX switches. Blues were too loud, browns were too broken-feeling, and linears didn't have enough response.
Zealio Master Race

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #163 on: Sat, 08 November 2014, 16:33:54 »
tbh I hate all Cherry MX switches. Blues were too loud, browns were too broken-feeling, and linears didn't have enough response.
Where are clears in the list?

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #164 on: Sat, 08 November 2014, 17:20:56 »
Where are clears in the list?

in the trash, where they belong
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #165 on: Sat, 08 November 2014, 17:33:40 »

Show Image

People seem to dislike the things most loved on this forum the most. I think what people really dislike is when people just go too far in their adoration of anything. It becomes annoying, and people start hating it for it.
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #166 on: Sat, 08 November 2014, 17:37:07 »
So you're telling me people hate things because of fanboys?

Well, Browns suck unless they're "vintage" Browns (read well broken in).  Reds are **** and Blacks are meh unless you swap the springs for Clear springs and get yourself some Ghost Blacks/Reds.  Clears are okay, but only become great when lubed and you swap the springs for 65-70g springs.  Blues are annoying and suck unless they're "vintage" Blues.  Greens are annoying.  MX Lock are fun, but a novelty that really have no use.  Whites are too inconsistent. 

Alps>MX
« Last Edit: Sat, 08 November 2014, 17:41:23 by nubbinator »

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #167 on: Sat, 08 November 2014, 17:42:56 »
So you're telling me people hate things because of fanboys?

Well, Browns suck unless they're "vintage" Browns (read well broken in).  Reds are **** and Blacks are meh unless you swap the springs for Clear springs and get yourself some Ghost Blacks/Reds.  Clears are okay, but only become great when lubed and you swap the springs for 65-70g springs.  Blues are annoying and suck unless they're "vintage" Blues.  Greens are annoying.  MX Lock are fun, but a novelty that really have no use.  Whites are too inconsistent. 

Alps>MX

how odd, hipster nubs only likes vintage cherry and obscure ALPS (okay obscure might be pushing it, but you get the idea).

HOW ODD

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #168 on: Sat, 08 November 2014, 17:44:36 »
I hate the term vintage.  They're just broken in and well used. 

But demik, I like my HHKB and don't like Model Ms, what does that mean?

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #169 on: Sat, 08 November 2014, 17:45:09 »

But demik, I like my HHKB and don't like Model Ms, what does that mean?

that means you're a confused young man

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #170 on: Sat, 08 November 2014, 17:55:52 »
If you’re talking about linear Cherry MX switches, this is simply false. Comparing never-used “vintage” (late 1980s) to brand new “modern” (2013) MX black switches, there is a night-and-day difference in smoothness. I’m not sure if it’s the quality of the injection molding tooling, or the material composition of the plastics, or some finishing process, or some kind of lubricant used, or what, but the difference is dramatic, and has nothing to do with the amount of use the switches have seen.

I’ll agree with you that MX switches are basically crap though. Even the “vintage” ones need a spring swap and some lube to be especially nice, and it’s not worth it when you could just get a Hi-Tek, SMK, Alps, or some other switch instead, and it would be nicer.
« Last Edit: Sat, 08 November 2014, 18:05:22 by jacobolus »

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #171 on: Sat, 08 November 2014, 18:10:45 »
I've used old, "vintage", and new Blacks.  The difference is not "night and day," it's minimal in most.  There is a difference, but broken in and well used ones, regardless of old, vintage, or new, feel better than unused ones.

Offline skuko

« Reply #172 on: Sat, 08 November 2014, 19:07:05 »
yeah i don't like SA either.

i tried the filco sphericals and had to remove them, because i started having wrist pains due to the unnatural angle, because the caps are too damn high :)

a wrist rest partially alleviates this, but it's just additional clutter on the table i don't really need, so i'll stick to my cherry profile thick PBT caps without the need of a wristrest.

Show Image

You should raise your wrists off the desk when typing.

SA profile is awesome. The most solid, heavy, piano-like, retro-modern, beautiful profile ever.

And it looks fantastic on 60% boards.

I am always right unless I'm wrong.

<combined an answer with five unpopular opinions, how's that for efficiency? And artisan caps are art. Everyone has their own taste. Or lack thereof.>
I'd like to see you game for 10 hours with your hand on the wasd cluster with your wrist in the air.

SA profile had me having wrist pain, so I won't use it, period. :-)

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #173 on: Sat, 08 November 2014, 19:32:02 »
I think DSA caps are best for gaming in long intervals. Fingers can slide to the next key.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #174 on: Sat, 08 November 2014, 19:35:19 »
I'd like to see you game for 10 hours with your hand on the wasd cluster with your wrist in the air.
Using a keyboard (for whatever purpose) for 10 hours straight is stupid and terrible for your body, no matter what your setup is. Just sitting in a chair for that long at a time, whether reading a book, or watching TV, or writing with pen and paper, or whatever, is stupid.

You should be getting up and walking around after at most every 2–3 hours, and you should be taking brief stretch breaks every 30 minutes, if not more frequently.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #175 on: Sat, 08 November 2014, 19:37:53 »
Using a keyboard (for whatever purpose) for 10 hours straight is stupid and terrible for your body, no matter what your setup is. Just sitting in a chair for that long at a time, whether reading a book, or watching TV, or writing with pen and paper, or whatever, is stupid.

You should be getting up and walking around after at most every 2–3 hours, and you should be taking brief stretch breaks every 30 minutes, if not more frequently.

Yeah, damn, 10 hours is pretty insane.  You're also "supposed" to pee every couple hours, so take your wrist off the keyboard when you do that, too.

Offline mogo

• handshoes and horse grenades
« Reply #176 on: Sat, 08 November 2014, 19:43:26 »
Yeah, damn, 10 hours is pretty insane.  You're also "supposed" to pee every couple hours, so take your wrist off the keyboard when you do that, too.

NO.

Offline Noko

• jolonarr: a tough dude who takes no esses!
  • * Maker
    • Noko's Leatherworks
« Reply #177 on: Sat, 08 November 2014, 19:49:57 »
1) I really love DSA.  Now that's unpopular!
2) I have a guilty pleasure, bottoming out hard on Apple laptop scissor switches.  Yes, I know it's bad for me.
Noko's Leatherworks - Handmade Custom Leather Wrist Rests -  http://www.noko.ca

Sales Thread: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=51762.0
Build Log: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=47704.0

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #178 on: Sat, 08 November 2014, 19:50:47 »
None of you deserve your fancy mechs because you can't type fast enough on them.

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #179 on: Sat, 08 November 2014, 20:01:52 »
I feel that most people lie about their crazy high typing speed (WPM) because I type at around 110WPM on average, and that's on a good day. I'm sure anyone can burst up to 130WPM for a few seconds, but I highly doubt the claims for any higher unless I see it in person :D

It's just very unlikely haha.

"Remember boys, raccoon cold... don't worry, raccoon will find cave." -Sent

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #180 on: Sat, 08 November 2014, 20:02:17 »
None of you deserve your fancy mechs because you can't type fast enough on them.

That's mean.  :(  I thought we were friends.

If you keep that up, you'll be the unpopular opinion.   >:D

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #181 on: Sat, 08 November 2014, 20:08:16 »
I'm sure anyone can burst up to 130WPM for a few seconds, but I highly doubt the claims for any higher unless I see it in person :D

This is 125 wpm on some text entirely full of numbers, symbols, and the awkwardest words they could come up with:
(I think this guy otherwise averages ~170 wpm.)
« Last Edit: Sat, 08 November 2014, 20:16:04 by jacobolus »

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #182 on: Sat, 08 November 2014, 20:10:24 »

☐ Not REKT ☑ REKT

I type a blistering......................................90WPM GET ON MY LEVEL

Offline swathe

« Reply #183 on: Sat, 08 November 2014, 20:11:00 »
Sifo does like 140wpm on his youtube channel
DAS Professional MX Blue
Razer Black Widow Ultimate 2013 Edition MX Blue

Linux + Emacs

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #184 on: Sat, 08 November 2014, 20:11:48 »

☐ Not REKT ☑ REKT

☑ HPE is a meanie face

I type faster than you, ya big fat jerk!

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #185 on: Sat, 08 November 2014, 20:12:58 »

☐ Not REKT ☑ REKT

☑ HPE is a meanie face

I type faster than you, ya big fat jerk!

Offline Rainbow_

• zealio master race
« Reply #186 on: Sat, 08 November 2014, 20:25:28 »
PBT isn't that much better than ABS
Zealio Master Race

Offline notsonerd

• Here for the secrets
  • Light My Fire
« Reply #187 on: Sun, 09 November 2014, 04:14:39 »

Show Image

People seem to dislike the things most loved on this forum the most. I think what people really dislike is when people just go too far in their adoration of anything. It becomes annoying, and people start hating it for it.

If this is true, then most of the unpopular opinions here are biased and have no real basis but the fact that they're annoyed by the people who have the opposite opinion. So if everyone just kept their mouths shut, this "unpopular" thread might not be so popular.

I believe a hobby such as mechanical keyboards has so much variety that it's hard to say it's even a niche community. Within the community there may be niches that differ from what's popular, but mechanical keyboards aren't as generally unpopular as people may think.
KBParadise V60 with Cherry MX Browns | Corsair K60 with Cherry MX Reds

Offline dusan

« Reply #188 on: Sun, 09 November 2014, 07:04:15 »
Standard QWERTY layout keyboards in general - horizontal stagger design is to allow levers to reach the hammer mechanism. QWERTY character layout is to prevent neighbouring keys being pressed too rapidly in succession and jamming the gravity returned hammers.... Oh wait.. WE DON'T HAVE THESE THINGS ANY MORE. Yet the design has persisted, due to being familiar. It's not logical, it's not comfortable or ergonomic, it's not even symmetrical or aesthetic. The ONLY reason to use it is familiarity. When the only reason you still do something a certain way is tradition, it's time to make a change, based on more current requirements.

I agree.

This is my suggestion to keyboard manufacturers:

a) a TKL keyboard. (Attached.)

b) a 7x14 keyboard (Attached.)

To users: if you don't want to sacrifice any of your skills with the standard keyboard, or you already own an expensive TKL case, expensive keycaps, rare switches etc and don't want to waste more money, choose a). Otherwise, chose b).

Edit: I'm sorry I couldn't post attachements. Internal server error.

Here're the images:
a) http://geekhack.org/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=64246.0;attach=79898;image
b) http://geekhack.org/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=62339.0;attach=81543;image
Topre Type Heaven | Filco Majestouch w/MX blue | CM Storm QF w/MX green | Asus Echelon w/MX black | Razer Tournament 2014 w/Razer green, Keychron K1 w/Gateron LP red | TypeMatrix 2030 | custom 6x16 ortho w/Matias clicky | Atreus w/Kailh box white & Gateron Pro yellow.

Offline JDorfler

• My Blog
« Reply #189 on: Sun, 09 November 2014, 09:38:45 »
  • Poor Quality
  • No PS/2 Option
  • No Media Keys
  • Non-Mechanical Switches

Offline Parak

« Reply #190 on: Sun, 09 November 2014, 21:47:04 »
Hmm.. eh, why not.

1. NKRO will not make you a better gamer.
2. Nor, to a large extent, will your switch choice.
3. Paying more for keycap(s) than the keyboard that they are on is hilarious.
4. Ditto for the case.
5. All vanilla physical (ANSI/ISO/etc) keyboard layouts are terrible outdated relics.
6. Any key larger than ~1.75x, especially the spacebar, is a waste of space.
7. Reports of the same cherry switches feeling different from one plate mount board to another, or one pcb mount board to another, is basically confirmation bias.

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #191 on: Sun, 09 November 2014, 21:51:14 »
I only really have a couple.

1) I love backlighting. I don't care if it makes me look like a child, I like seeing flashing lights and colors. It amuses me.
2) Topre is a rubber dome. I love me my springy rubber domes.

Can't think of anything else at the moment.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline GL1TCH3D

• Audiophile, tea lover and now keyboard hugger!
« Reply #192 on: Sun, 09 November 2014, 22:15:29 »
1. I love 40%

2. I love DSA (not really unpopular but a lot of people dislike DSA as well)

3. I like the HHKB layout. Though I definitely think the price is really high for what you get.

4. I very much dislike the Razer Kailh switches

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #193 on: Sun, 09 November 2014, 22:17:43 »
3. Paying more for keycap(s) than the keyboard that they are on is hilarious.
4. Ditto for the case.
In some instances, the case will cost more than the rest of the keyboard. In fact, that's the case with almost every metal case, except for minimalist 60% ones. Machined aluminum just costs more than a PCB or switches
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #194 on: Mon, 10 November 2014, 09:09:12 »
Hmm.. eh, why not.

1. NKRO will not make you a better gamer.
...<snip>
5. All vanilla physical (ANSI/ISO/etc) keyboard layouts are terrible outdated relics.
6. Any key larger than ~1.75x, especially the spacebar, is a waste of space.
7. Reports of the same cherry switches feeling different from one plate mount board to another, or one pcb mount board to another, is basically confirmation bias.

Agree with these.

PBT isn't that much better than ABS

This, too. They both suck compared to POM. ;)
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Data

« Reply #195 on: Mon, 10 November 2014, 09:11:51 »
Finally thought of one:

I don't like "RGB" mods (CMYK, or whatever).

They make your keyboard look like it fell from the Playskool tree and hit every Hasbranch on the way down.

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #196 on: Mon, 10 November 2014, 10:38:37 »
GMK RGB mods are the only good one, and that's if they're put on a winkeyless board. you also need to pair them with a dark case or dark keyset in order to bring out the color

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #197 on: Mon, 10 November 2014, 10:59:56 »

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #198 on: Mon, 10 November 2014, 11:53:43 »
Finally thought of one:

I don't like "RGB" mods (CMYK, or whatever).

Show Image

They make your keyboard look like it fell from the Playskool tree and hit every Hasbranch on the way down.

I think they look 10x better on winkeyless keyboards.
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline Data

« Reply #199 on: Mon, 10 November 2014, 15:07:23 »