Author Topic: Mx mini 75% Help  (Read 4479 times)

Offline el2k

Mx mini 75% Help
« on: Sat, 25 February 2023, 04:19:28 »
Hi guys, old member here.

I have had this Mx Mini for around 10 years now as my daily driver, I got it off of Boost from these very forums.
Serious shine on my OG Dolch keycaps!

I was wondering, I'm looking for a new board, are there any 75%  out there with the exact same layout, Ie. The big Ctrl+Alt bottom row.

Thanks in Advance and pic for anyone who doesn't know the MX Mini!

296870-0
sc00pz for life

Offline el2k

Re: Mx mini 75% Help
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 01 March 2023, 09:06:47 »
No on know of a same layout board?

I did search but had a little trouble tbh.
sc00pz for life

Offline Tactile

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 01 March 2023, 13:00:41 »
Every once in a while a 75% kit will show up with the option of building with a winkeyless bottom row. The NYM84 was one such kit and there may be others.
REΛLFORCE

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 01 March 2023, 15:09:43 »
This used to be the OG 75% layout. The new generation sees this as 75% and a lot of vendors/designers moved to this kind of layout.

current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline PlayBox

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 01 March 2023, 15:37:33 »
some soldered options offer a lot of layout support so you will ptopably find one with that
propably sent from my amazon kindle 10th gen

Offline el2k

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 04 March 2023, 10:00:08 »
Ok thank you, So a custom build seems my only way to go.

Strange that winkeyless is no longer popular? Whys is this?
sc00pz for life

Offline PlayBox

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 31 July 2023, 14:14:38 »

wkl is very popular
propably sent from my amazon kindle 10th gen

Offline Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 01 August 2023, 05:26:04 »
It's gonna be much more difficult to find that specific layout. A lot of the new 75% boards will either have a blocker on the side to separate the arrow keys and the bottom cluster and a separated bottom row, or a completely separated arrow cluster and nav cluster along with the separated function row. I'll also show visual representations as well.

- the former layout I mentioned

- The latter one I mentioned

So you will barely find the same layout on that keyboard on newer customs, but some older stuff will have most likely.

WKL cannot really be done on the top image layout due to the blocker but on the bottom image layout it can be done due to the blocker allowing for it. It's not as popular as the standard layout shown above but most solder pcbs will have those options if it supports it.

Also is that mx mini the lz one? because I remember reading about it on DangWang's blog if it is the lz one.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 01 August 2023, 06:09:18 »

wkl is very popular
WKL is popular among a very small yet very vocal group.
WKL has never been all that popular and I'd say it's dwindling as people embrace more and more shortcuts that use that key.

As for 75%
It's one of the least common mainstream layouts, it's also one of the worst for standardization with everyone playing around with the F and FN key layout (making key caps somewhat of a challenge on some). Every few years some company (or group buy) comes out with something nice in 75% and a few companies jump on it with a similar design thinking it's the hot new thing and order a bunch of clones then we spend the next few years stuck with pretty much only those boards to pic from until another company re-invents it again. This pattern has been repeated over and over for the last 30 years or so.
« Last Edit: Tue, 01 August 2023, 06:12:12 by Leslieann »
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion