Author Topic: Filco keyboards  (Read 2883 times)

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
Filco keyboards
« on: Fri, 28 July 2023, 18:50:54 »
How many of you guys still have Filco keyboard?
Filco TKL was my second mechanical keyboard years ago, but sold it at some point, upgrading to other ones.

Now, after years I decided to get back to this amazing board and ordered one :)
I may de-solder it and get some better switches on it, but still - Filco was and is amazingly built keeb.

Do you like yours?
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline HungerMechanic

Re: Filco keyboards
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 28 July 2023, 20:23:03 »
They are really rugged, and built to last. Meant to take damage that people wouldn't do to their custom keyboard.

I have the full-size MJ2 in MX Brown. It was my first mechanical keyboard, that I know of. It's deficiencies are what caused me to start customizing.

The MX Browns wore-in eventually. But the Co-Star stabilizers will never be ideal for use with custom keycaps. And they quickly were knocked out-of-alignment, so that they rattle and such. The stock keycaps are thin ABS crap, and the legends started to wear away [which caused me to buy my first sets of aftermarket keycaps].

The MJ2 is honestly a very solid build, except for dodgy Co-Star stabilizers and cheaping-out on keycaps. The Leopold FC PD series is similar in build quality, however it comes with better [somewhat factory-lubed, Cherry-style] stabilizers and much-more impressive keycaps. And detacheable cable.

If MJ2 had Cherry-style stabilizers and better keycaps, it would be more competitive at its price-point. OTOH the stock Co-Star stabilizers are very crisp. So if you like typing on something that feels 'traditional,' the MJ2 is fine.

Offline Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 28 July 2023, 21:59:52 »
I joined the hobby more recently and filcos aren't really talked about anymore. The only reason why I know that they were popular is because I browse older threads regularly and a lot of the older users had them in their signatures. They seem to me just standard prebuilts that were good value back in 2016 but not anymore, but idk completely. There are really cool variants though.

I was thinking of buying one aftermarket and modding it completely (modding the switches, stabs, replacing the caps with og WYSE caps, maybe even an aftermarket case) because I think it would be fun, but idk if I would do it soon or later.
fjell | hhkb bt

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 28 July 2023, 22:23:25 »
WYSE is an excellent choice for the Filco. There's an image of a modded Filco with WYSE keycaps + neon pink/purple [I dunno] LED indicators.

Filco's were the standard keyboard that keycaps were displayed on AliExpress prior to 2018 or so.

They would have been good test cases for swapping keycaps, given the board's ruggedness, but the stabilizers are the weak point. Plus, I suspect that the stabilizers are configured for OEM-profile, and not Cherry-profile. They give me trouble with shorter Cherry-profile sometimes, especially Varmilo, which is almost a no-go. Leopold should handle those just fine, in contrast.

There were some aftermarket things produced for the TKL version. Like, I'm talking new plates and PCBs, maybe even mounting setups. So you could make an 'ultimate' Filco TKL if you wanted to, assuming you could find parts. The GBs were done through here.

Offline Rhienfo

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 29 July 2023, 06:09:32 »
WYSE is an excellent choice for the Filco. There's an image of a modded Filco with WYSE keycaps + neon pink/purple [I dunno] LED indicators.

Filco's were the standard keyboard that keycaps were displayed on AliExpress prior to 2018 or so.

They would have been good test cases for swapping keycaps, given the board's ruggedness, but the stabilizers are the weak point. Plus, I suspect that the stabilizers are configured for OEM-profile, and not Cherry-profile. They give me trouble with shorter Cherry-profile sometimes, especially Varmilo, which is almost a no-go. Leopold should handle those just fine, in contrast.

There were some aftermarket things produced for the TKL version. Like, I'm talking new plates and PCBs, maybe even mounting setups. So you could make an 'ultimate' Filco TKL if you wanted to, assuming you could find parts. The GBs were done through here.

Yeah I have seen aftermarket cases for filcos on Aliexpress. I'm not sure about the specific image you were talking about but I saw an image on DangWangs old blog that showed a filco with wyse caps and a clack factory skull which makes me jelly. I'll link it here.

https://dangwang.wordpress.com/2012/07/07/filco-ninja-with-cherry-mx-reds/

I'll look into the mounting set ups as I not the biggest fan of tray mount (not against tray mount completely but I don't like it when it has a lot of mounting points because it's too stiff) which I believe is the mounting for the filco (correct me if I'm wrong). I do want to preserve the original case though so I not sure if that's possible. One thing I could do is remove the mounting points in the middle of the flico. My fjell does this for the two middle points with standard gh60 points and it creates a softer typing experience, however I'm not sure how that would affect the mounting as the plate may not be screwed in properly  because of the less points so it would move around so it wouldn't be as good. I will probably replace the pcb as well, just so I can get via/qmk so I can reprogram it.

In the photo I linked I don't know where he found the caps, all og wyse keyboards I saw on ebay don't seem to have even close to a similar layout than that. So if anyone could help me find something similar to WK ANSI that would be greatly appreciated if I ever plan to do a project like this.
fjell | hhkb bt

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 29 July 2023, 07:57:17 »
Good try! Close. The image I'm referring to can be found here:

https://dangwang.wordpress.com/2012/07/08/ergo-clear-conversion-and-magenta-led-swap-by-magicmeatball/dsc0314v/

https://dangwang.wordpress.com/2012/07/08/ergo-clear-conversion-and-magenta-led-swap-by-magicmeatball/

I personally think the above is about the best it gets for a Filco w/o more aftermarket parts! If you can get aftermarket parts, then go for it!

[There are photos out there of some guy who replaced his Filco TKL case with an aftermarket shiny metal case, he probably changed internals too, and then put GMK Honeywell on it. That was a high-end custom back in 2017 or so.]

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 29 July 2023, 11:00:27 »
They were good (and still are), but not always the best value, they were a high end board and came at a slight premium, but that premium got you a board that lasted. Todays boards aren't really built to last like that anymore.  Would I buy a Filco today? If I needed/wanted a reliable board that will last 20 years even in a harsh environment, absolutely (just replace the keycaps).

At one time you could replace every part of a Filco with aftermarket parts (mine is pretty much only the pcb), that stuff is still out there just hard to find.
Would I buy one to mod, probably not. They were the modders keyboard back then because of the quality, it could handle being desoldered by a novice and that plethora of aftermarket of parts, but that aftermarket doesn't exist anymore. At the time full custom keyboards and even programmability was rare and this was a way to get a programmable custom without the risk, though both options were very expensive.

A lot has changed and you can get nice boards (for a lot less) that will still last a decade or more with a lot less effort and with a lot more features. Remember these use Costar stabs which need a LOT of work to get to work well and sound good, unlike Cherry where you have multiple options and some improvements over the decades since they were designed, USB type-C, rgb lighting, a ton of layouts and case styles, and many are programmable without changing the controller (Costar boards have a replaceable daughter board and the aftermarket offered programmable controllers).

I still like mine, I still use it as a backup, I'll probably never get rid of it, but I wouldn't build it again even if the parts were still sold, most are not. The main reason being that for the total cost to reach this level you could buy several nice keyboards.

Current parts list:
Vortex Case - squared up, blasted finish removed, pained metalic/candy red, Winkey blockoff plate, hex socket screws
Custom feet - Early Vortex cases came with no feet due to a mixup
Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation/55g(?) bottom out
HID Liberator programmable controller
Stainless Steel Universal Plate (group buy), allows switch top removal, extra thick and needed to be ground in order to fit the stabs
3d printed adapters, the group buy plate is flat and the way these cases work is they need a bent edge to clamp onto, these replace the bent edge.
Type C pigtail adapter and Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable
Foam sound dampened,
HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed to shorten Jailhouse Blues excess travel)
Lots of lube...
Total weight, nearly 8 pounds.

BTW,
Beware the Filco ping.
It's not really Filco's fault, it's the crappy Cherry springs pinging and being amplified by the Filco plate design. If you do desolder it, have new (good) springs (or switches) on hand ready to go in.

Also, the WASD case should fit the Filco.
When the Vortex aluminum case for the Filco came out some people tried putting the WASD keyboard inside, WASD and Filco were/are both Diatech/Costar keyboards, however the plate on the WASD was about 1-2mm too wide to sit on the shelf that the plate rests on. Why was it different, who knows, but that was the only thing stopping it from going into the case. The WASD and Vortex cases are identical, probably even made by Vortex, being designed to fit the WASD, the Filco should nest inside with about 1-2mm of room on the side to spare. It won't wobble or move, the top case clamps down onto the plate holding it in pace, it's probably the most solid mounted plate in keyboard history. No guarantees though and you may need to hack up the cord to work with the WASD daughter board but it should work. If not, it should only require very minimal modding to make it work.

Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 29 July 2023, 15:24:01 »
I still have a Filco sitting here and rarely use it since its incompatible with cherry profile keycaps, since costar is a bad way to stabilize keycaps. The metal wire rubs inside the keycaps  :-\.
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline phinix

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 31 July 2023, 04:04:36 »
I still have a Filco sitting here and rarely use it since its incompatible with cherry profile keycaps, since costar is a bad way to stabilize keycaps. The metal wire rubs inside the keycaps  :-\.

why is it incompatible? stabs wire rubs caps?
I thought that costar are more liked than not liked? Is it no?
I have two keyboards with costar stabs and to be honest, I only put wee bits of lube on wire and they feel better than any cherry stabs I had in the past. Weird, maybe I'm really bad in lubing cherry...
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 31 July 2023, 05:47:36 »
I have two keyboards with costar stabs and to be honest, I only put wee bits of lube on wire and they feel better than any cherry stabs I had in the past. Weird, maybe I'm really bad in lubing cherry...
I think it's Cherry profile caps that rub, pretty much all else work fine.

The stabs, while they can be good and were better in some cases compared to Cherry or Cherry clones, time marches on, other companies have tweaked Cherry stabs to be better at this point. Though I'd argue we could do much better if we did a total stab redesign today using modern machining and molding.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline phinix

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 31 July 2023, 08:20:47 »

The stabs, while they can be good and were better in some cases compared to Cherry or Cherry clones, time marches on, other companies have tweaked Cherry stabs to be better at this point. Though I'd argue we could do much better if we did a total stab redesign today using modern machining and molding.

I have CM Quickfire rapid keyboard with costar stabs which I lubes years ago and they run perfect all the time.
I think I only used them with SA caps and those original ones, OEM I think. Cannot remember if I put Cherry caps on it...

Which cherry stabs would you say are best or would you recommend to use in new builds?
I used Zeal and gaterons in the past, but with time always had to re-do them, add lube etc

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 31 July 2023, 17:27:52 »
Which cherry stabs would you say are best or would you recommend to use in new builds?
I'm not the one to ask that.

I have managed to get the Novelkeys ones to work decent but I've mostly only used newer GMK/Cherry, which I also got working pretty well. Last time I tried to get other brands was peak Covid and it was either going to take months or cost me an arm and both legs so I just went with Cherry.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline phinix

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 31 July 2023, 17:46:10 »

I have managed to get the Novelkeys ones to work decent but I've mostly only used newer GMK/Cherry, which I also got working pretty well. Last time I tried to get other brands was peak Covid and it was either going to take months or cost me an arm and both legs so I just went with Cherry.

what did you do to them? just lube? Which lube did you use?

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 31 July 2023, 18:46:18 »

I have CM Quickfire rapid keyboard with costar stabs which I lubes years ago and they run perfect all the time.
I think I only used them with SA caps and those original ones, OEM I think. Cannot remember if I put Cherry caps on it...

I used Zeal and gaterons in the past, but with time always had to re-do them, add lube etc

TX stabilizers.  Hands down the best I've used. 

Offline phinix

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 31 July 2023, 19:04:16 »

TX stabilizers.  Hands down the best I've used.

Cool, thanks. What is the best way to lube them?
I recently bought that BDZ, but so far only used 205g0.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 31 July 2023, 19:23:43 »
I use 205g0 for plastic on plastic (very light on the TX rev3 or TX AP stabilizers).  Then I use either dielectric grease or DBZ on the wire where it goes into the stem holes.  Again, not too much.  The tolerances are tighter and too much will cause a mess

Offline phinix

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 01 August 2023, 04:00:04 »
I use 205g0 for plastic on plastic (very light on the TX rev3 or TX AP stabilizers).  Then I use either dielectric grease or DBZ on the wire where it goes into the stem holes.  Again, not too much.  The tolerances are tighter and too much will cause a mess

Yeah, that is why I'm scared to use that DBZ for a first time. I guess wires only need to be covered with white, not thick layer, just "paint" it white?

Offline Rhienfo

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 01 August 2023, 05:33:32 »
Yeah, that is why I'm scared to use that DBZ for a first time. I guess wires only need to be covered with white, not thick layer, just "paint" it white?

The wires are less likely to be overlubed from my experience. Like there are people who inject DBZ into the area where the wire is with a blunt syringe and then lube the plastic on plastic manually and just check to see if it rattles. And from the looks of it, it doesn't seem to affect the feel and is a bigger time saver, but I do want to test it just to see if it does affect feel.

Also cherry clip ins are good for the price, which I prefer clip ins over screw ins because they are easier to take apart (the wires are kinda bad though so you may want to swap them out, and I have a batch of clip ins coming soon that I'm going to balance the wires for to see if that makes a difference) Heard good things about tx. Every stab on the market needs to be lubed though, which is weird because you would expect a company to come out with one that doesn't need to do that.
fjell | hhkb bt

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 01 August 2023, 05:55:56 »

what did you do to them? just lube? Which lube did you use?
Just common mods and messing with them until I was happy with them.

Clipped leg, Bandaid mod, Superlube dielectric grease (metal to plastic), Finish Line Extreme Flouro with PTFE (plastic on plastic).
For the thick stuff, start with less lube and add more until you're happy.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline atarione

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 02 August 2023, 03:09:46 »
I bought a Filco MT2TKL in 2015~ and have used it basically daily since...  I am quite happy with it, I did put vortex pbt keycaps on it when I first got it the stock abs filco keycaps are rather bad.   Otherwise this board has been bomb proof and look / works basically as new 8yrs on. 

I have no active plans to get anything else for the time being, it is a very good keyboard and I am perfectly happy with it in my own case.   (mine is mx-red / w dampers and prev mention pbt keycaps.  The costar stabs are fine with me I have no problem with them.