Author Topic: Floss mod on IBM XT before and after  (Read 2471 times)

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
Floss mod on IBM XT before and after
« on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 08:56:19 »
Hey guys, I did a floss mod using interior cores from paracord for a floss mod as nobody in the immediate area for me carries Oral B Super floss.  I have TONS of this stuff.  Especially when 550 paracord has 7 interior strands. 

I recorded this as two separate clips.  I did the before, did the floss mod, then did the after.  Sorry about the background noise.  It got down to record lows today (-24°F) so the furnace has been having to run a bit more especially in this 100+ year old house.

This is the "before" clip.  There is a link to the second one in the description of the first one

This is the "after".
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Touch_It

Re: Floss mod on IBM XT before and after
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 10:36:57 »
Nice videos.  Maybe it's just me, but I am struggling to hear a difference between the videos :(.

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 10:47:53 »
The difference is not outrageous, but the floss mod does remove most of the high-pitched sound while keeping most of the low/mid range sound.

It removes the iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing sound and keeps the oooooooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuumph sound  :p
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 14:30:33 »
Nice videos.  Maybe it's just me, but I am struggling to hear a difference between the videos :(.

The videos don't reveal the difference near as much as in person.  I think most of that is because of the camera picking up the drone from the furnace which is directly under the camera and there is a vent less than 3 feet away directly behind the camera.  Plus that keyboard really didn't have a ton of ping with the plastidip on the top barrel plate.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 19:26:01 »
Play videos both at once :))
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 23:08:20 »
I got halfway through a floss mod on my Model M the other week and ended up undoing it after testing and fiddling with that half because it was far too difficult to get a uniform feeling across the board. Did you run into any similar difficulties with the F and the paracord core? I wonder if its flexibility makes it a less finicky solution. It sounds very uniform on the video. It seemed to me like the smallest changes in either the length of the floss or the seating in the key would result in anything from not seating properly to making no difference at all.
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150