Author Topic: backlit keycaps, Ducky or Tai-Hao?  (Read 4084 times)

Offline Public Nuisance

• I do my own stunts.
    • Follow me on Twitch!
backlit keycaps, Ducky or Tai-Hao?
« on: Sat, 27 March 2021, 09:31:36 »
Hello, I am looking for PBT doubleshot backlit/shine through keycaps.
I've narrowed it down to Ducky seamless
https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=3050

And Tai-hao
https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=4327&r=93680

Is one bighter, or better quality then the other? I am having a very hard time finding comparison between the two. Any insight is appreciated.

Offline ddrfraser1

• RIP Neil
Re: backlit keycaps, Ducky or Tai-Hao?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 27 March 2021, 10:14:14 »
My guess would be the ducky keycaps are better. The reviews seem to indicate that as well.

Offline Public Nuisance

• I do my own stunts.
    • Follow me on Twitch!
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 27 March 2021, 16:39:30 »
My guess would be the ducky keycaps are better. The reviews seem to indicate that as well.

Thank you for the feedback! I noticed the legends on the taiho the alpha keys look great but the rest look dim.
I guess I could also consider the Drop skylight caps
https://drop.com/buy/drop-skylight-series-keycap-set/reviews?search=how%20would%20they%20compare%20to%20the%20Ducky%20seamless%20backlit%20keycaps%3F

Offline sasha

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 29 March 2021, 02:49:27 »
I've never used Tai-Hao or Drop but personally I find that Ducky make pretty great backlit ones that they primarily use on their boards like the One 2 Mini and etc. and they often have good QC as well as the fact that they come in a variety of colors and are double shot, hope this could help  :thumb:.

Offline robertbarna12

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 05 May 2021, 04:13:15 »
I've never used Tai-Hao or Drop but personally I find that Ducky make pretty great backlit ones that they primarily use on their boards like the One 2 Mini and etc.

In my experience Ducky is thicker and feels a bit nicer... I personally found pretty good deal on Banggood.

Offline Riverman

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 06 May 2021, 18:14:13 »
I had a set of Ducky's backlit PBT keycaps, and they were extremely nice.  If I had a still used a backlit keyboard, I would have kept them.
 Tai Hao has some weird symbols on the caps, num, and scroll lock keycaps that I don't like, and they seem to have recently switched from using the Windows logo to "WIN" text.  I'm not a fan of that, either.  Otherwise, I really like Tai Hao's keycaps, even their normal thin doubleshot PBT ones.

Offline GoldilokZ

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 07 May 2021, 06:31:36 »
North or south facing leds?
If it's the former, ducky are better.
if it's the latter, look elsewhere...maybe npck or pudding caps.  KBDfans have some that suit 60% boards.
You'd need side facing shinethough...otherwise
« Last Edit: Fri, 07 May 2021, 06:33:18 by GoldilokZ »

Offline Cowmovie4

• hollow keyboard haver
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 10 May 2021, 00:11:14 »
Ducky, all day. I'm not saying that TaiHao are bad or anything, but for me the colors ducky offers are much more pleasant to look at, and the quality is surprisingly nice for the price. Although they're kinda thin, but if you're looking for shinethroughs I suppose not having GMK thickness is ok. Good luck on your hunt!
u/TheFourthCow - formerly TheFourthCow on geekhack... until I locked myself out.

Designer of the Funky40 - IC TBD
Working on a new board! IC inbound?
https://i.imgur.com/5GVY8I5.jpg

Offline vestun

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 12 May 2021, 02:20:35 »
I like Duck's keycaps...

Offline seville57

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 12 May 2021, 11:30:59 »
Ducky, I have some Tai - Hao sets, but not backlit.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 30 May 2021, 17:10:08 »
I have lots of Tai Hao, from years ago when they were simple, very cheap, brightly coloured sets, to the latest anti-bacterial-coated PBT doubleshot sets.  No backlit ones though.  Overall Tai Hao is a long time consistent manufacturer.

I also have several Ducky keyboards, and recently acquired some Ducky PBT backlit keycaps.  Ducky is also an established manufacturer who has improved over the years.

On the balance, I'd probably go with the Ducky, as the legends seem more consistent, but if the price was right I'd get both and compare for myself.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ