Author Topic: The Sprang Chair. Unique In All The World.  (Read 7339 times)

Offline VoteForDavid

• Vote For David
The Sprang Chair. Unique In All The World.
« on: Thu, 02 April 2015, 20:42:14 »
My DW does not mind the side effect of rock-hard abs and a generally very strong core.  I do not mind sitting exactly how I please.  This is my perfect chair.

More

Yes, seriously.  I used to sit on an exercise ball but popped two of them because of debris on the concrete floor.  Before that I had chairs with backs removed, which was in improvement over chairs with backs, which would always lead to me slouching one way or the other.  This is superior to any chair I have sat on including some $$$$ Herman Miller stuff that was actually pretty nice for normal-looking furniture.

You want to sit perfectly centered and upright?  Try and sit off-center.  You will fall.  You want to sit with your thighs sloping down?  Slope em down.  You want 90 degrees?  Make 90 degrees.  You want tilted backwards and to the side?  You wan to FRIKKEN BOUNCE WHILE YOU ARE TYPING?  This is either a front suspension coil spring from a big truck, or the base to a playground toy.  I don't know where it came from exactly- I found it as scrap steel.  It's welded to a heavy steel plate, and lashed to the seat from a conventional office chair.  The foot rest is also custom, and pivots about 20 degrees either way.  I find I sit much more upright on this than on anything else I've used.  It's either hold yourself on top, lean on the desk with most of your weight, or fall off.

side bonus: everyone else HATES my workstation.  Between this chair, my ExpertMouse, ergo keyboard, and unconventional monitor setup, it's like a cross to a vampire and nobody ever tries to get on my computer "just for a minute".
Jesus loves you.

Offline Canut

Re: The Sprang Chair. Unique In All The World.
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 07 April 2015, 09:51:01 »
 Was it Steve Jobs who said "Insanely great"...?  :thumb:

Offline MAR82

• Keyboard Addict
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 07 April 2015, 10:27:11 »
I really don't know what to think of it, but I would like to try sitting on it
If it works for you... It works for you!  :thumb:

Offline VoteForDavid

• Vote For David
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 07 April 2015, 21:56:44 »
@Canut hey thanks a lot!

@MAR82 Most people can't stand to...sit... on it.  As noted, this is a bonus for me.  If you have ever sat on an exercise ball, it is similar to that but not nearly as forgiving of being off-center.  This will dump you off vs. rolling around a bit.  You might be surprised, to see it in person it doesn't look so odd.  The lighting is dim enough and there is so much "stuff" in my area that all one sees at a glance is a generic seat-top.  It really doesn't stand out as different until I start bouncing and clearly still sitting firmly on a chair at the same time.  I think it is like a reality-glitch for people who aren't expecting it.

One other nice thing is the coils each can serve as a foot rest on the sides or front of the chair.  I would say it is a very flexible seating solution, but that would be a terrible pun.
Jesus loves you.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 07 April 2015, 21:58:29 »
That looks fun as hell. Also what's DW stand for?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 07 April 2015, 22:02:42 »
That looks fun as hell. Also what's DW stand for?
Darling Wife

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 07 April 2015, 22:19:32 »
I would totally sit in this. It might be a mistake, but I would try it. I have just one huge ab and it's not rock hard.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline blueSmoke

• Life is what happens while you're busy Fixing RSI
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 08 April 2015, 01:47:19 »
My DW does not mind the side effect of rock-hard abs and a generally very strong core.  I do not mind sitting exactly how I please.  This is my perfect chair.

More
Show Image

Yes, seriously.  I used to sit on an exercise ball but popped two of them because of debris on the concrete floor.  Before that I had chairs with backs removed, which was in improvement over chairs with backs, which would always lead to me slouching one way or the other.  This is superior to any chair I have sat on including some $$$$ Herman Miller stuff that was actually pretty nice for normal-looking furniture.

You want to sit perfectly centered and upright?  Try and sit off-center.  You will fall.  You want to sit with your thighs sloping down?  Slope em down.  You want 90 degrees?  Make 90 degrees.  You want tilted backwards and to the side?  You wan to FRIKKEN BOUNCE WHILE YOU ARE TYPING?  This is either a front suspension coil spring from a big truck, or the base to a playground toy.  I don't know where it came from exactly- I found it as scrap steel.  It's welded to a heavy steel plate, and lashed to the seat from a conventional office chair.  The foot rest is also custom, and pivots about 20 degrees either way.  I find I sit much more upright on this than on anything else I've used.  It's either hold yourself on top, lean on the desk with most of your weight, or fall off.

side bonus: everyone else HATES my workstation.  Between this chair, my ExpertMouse, ergo keyboard, and unconventional monitor setup, it's like a cross to a vampire and nobody ever tries to get on my computer "just for a minute".

I would love to see the rest of your setup like the ExpertMouse, ergo keyboard as well as the monitor setup. Picture please.

Yes, very much interested....
Model M, Filco Tenkeyless White, Few others, few more others, Noise-hater (ongoing project), blah-blah (to be fillled later...)

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 08 April 2015, 02:21:26 »
I want one! :)
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline vvp

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 08 April 2015, 06:14:38 »
Sitting on as spring the commercial way: http://www.spinalis.be/SPINALIS/EN/S/spinalis_chairs/

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 08 April 2015, 07:42:06 »
Sitting on as spring the commercial way: http://www.spinalis.be/SPINALIS/EN/S/spinalis_chairs/

Cool chairs but what is with their models? They're like the American Apparel of the chair industry. The one girl I don't think was wearing any pants.

IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline Hoaryhag

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 08 April 2015, 17:21:33 »

Cool chairs but what is with their models? They're like the American Apparel of the chair industry. The one girl I don't think was wearing any pants.
Hose and a turtleneck. LOL! A fan blowing through her hair.  That girl loves to sit.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 08 April 2015, 18:30:43 »

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 08 April 2015, 21:13:29 »
Show Image

Of course a turtleneck. Showing neck skin would be immodest.

My boards:
More

Offline VoteForDavid

• Vote For David
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 08 April 2015, 22:17:49 »
I have just one huge ab and it's not rock hard.

:D It would maybe sit a little lower for you than for me!

Those guys are pikers with their little foot-long springs!  Although, a height adjustment would be useful.  My chair requires height adjustments to be done to the desk!

A picture of my station would be difficult.  First cleaning, then a wide angle lens would be required!
Jesus loves you.

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 06:50:33 »
When I was going through my ergonomics phase, I ran across these:

http://www.swopper.com/

96757-0
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline VoteForDavid

• Vote For David
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 20:16:38 »
which immediately reminded me of

Jesus loves you.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 20:39:01 »
Now that’s an idea: use a tilting chair as a joystick.

Offline VoteForDavid

• Vote For David
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 09:44:31 »
You'd have to watch out for the sensitivity, maybe use an acceleration program.  You'd hate to go to scroll quickly and fall off the side of the joystick.  If you think missing a keystroke hurts your FPS performance, wait till you fall over on your back during an online firefight!

Still, maybe if you wanted to use the chair for POV control, and found a big enough set of strain gauges, it could be done.  If it were still a spring chair, you'd need a telescoping connection to allow bouncing.  Integrate switches somehow so that bouncing causes an action.  Pick up your feet a little to make the weight on the chair increase, and your character in the game crouches down.  Unweight the chair totally to jump.  Accelerometers in the chair to sense how high to jump.  It could probably be done.

Could, of course, is hardly the same as Should!
Jesus loves you.

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 15 April 2015, 01:36:27 »
You'd have to watch out for the sensitivity, maybe use an acceleration program.  You'd hate to go to scroll quickly and fall off the side of the joystick.  If you think missing a keystroke hurts your FPS performance, wait till you fall over on your back during an online firefight!

Still, maybe if you wanted to use the chair for POV control, and found a big enough set of strain gauges, it could be done.  If it were still a spring chair, you'd need a telescoping connection to allow bouncing.  Integrate switches somehow so that bouncing causes an action.  Pick up your feet a little to make the weight on the chair increase, and your character in the game crouches down.  Unweight the chair totally to jump.  Accelerometers in the chair to sense how high to jump.  It could probably be done.

Could, of course, is hardly the same as Should!

It would be incredible to watch people playing starcraft on this kind of chair...
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.