Author Topic: Possible to build square layout?  (Read 1940 times)

Offline kikim792

Possible to build square layout?
« on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 16:25:58 »
Hi,

I am interested in building a keyboard with a square grid layout. Couple of motivations behind are:

- Other than a historical reason, modern keyboard does not need to follow legacy layout.
- With square layout, it would be easier to enter numbers using keys UIO/JKL, etc

Is it possible to build one using commercially available kits? Any pointer to get me started is appreciated.

Thanks.

KK

Offline plegnic

• Treble Booty. Bass Guitar.
Re: Possible to build square layout?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 16:31:14 »
ortholinearkeyboards.com. Looks like the Atomic might be more what you are looking for?
Planck MIT layout [MX Clears] (in-progress) | QuickFire Storm TK [MX Brown] | Poker II [MX Blue]

Offline kikim792

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 16:43:54 »
@plegnic,

It's nice except it is missing the top row for ESC and function keys.

Thanks.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 16:46:06 »
Another option would be a point of sale board, such as the Access one in this classified.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline SonOfSonOfSpock

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 16:47:46 »
If you are okay with scissor switches, your picture looks a lot like the TypeMatrix 2030 keyboard. I know that doesn't answer your question about building a keyboard though.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 10 April 2015, 10:03:20 »
You definitely want separate halves, or a at least a hole between them. The grid forces quite aggressive ulnar deviation otherwise, if you touch type using the standard technique. It's not that bad on a low-profile keyboard, such as the TypeMatrix, but sucks with more profiled, tall keys.

There are plenty of POS matrix keyboards. Usually from Access-IS or Tipro. The latter usually support daisy-chaining. There's been the Humble Hacker project and later GH36x2 as well, but it seems samwisekoi has abandoned it…?

I don't see the point of not going the whole way to a columnar layout with dedicated thumb clusters though, unless you're on budget and want to reuse existing parts.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 10 April 2015, 10:55:50 »
You definitely want separate halves, or a at least a hole between them. The grid forces quite aggressive ulnar deviation otherwise, if you touch type using the standard technique. It's not that bad on a low-profile keyboard, such as the TypeMatrix, but sucks with more profiled, tall keys.

There are plenty of POS matrix keyboards. Usually from Access-IS or Tipro. The latter usually support daisy-chaining. There's been the Humble Hacker project and later GH36x2 as well, but it seems samwisekoi has abandoned it…?

I don't see the point of not going the whole way to a columnar layout with dedicated thumb clusters though, unless you're on budget and want to reuse existing parts.

+1
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline qisqaqas

• I'm just a maker wannabe.
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 10 April 2015, 22:30:50 »
Possible. Check this guy's project here. He did something similar
This message is made by 100% recycled electrons.