Author Topic: [IC] GMK Gruvbox  (Read 48928 times)

Offline synmuffin

[IC] GMK Gruvbox
« on: Wed, 19 August 2020, 08:52:19 »
Code: [Select]
/**
 *                          _               
 *   GMK              | |             
 *    __ _ _ __ _   ___   _| |__   _____  __
 *   / _` | '__| | | \ \ / / '_ \ / _ \ \/ /
 *  | (_| | |  | |_| |\ V /| |_) | (_) >  <
 *   \__, |_|   \__,_| \_/ |_.__/ \___/_/\_\
 *    __/ |                              xor     
 *   |___/                                                           
 */

Welcome to GMK gruvbox Interest Check!

Hello all and welcome to the GMK gruvbox IC. As a developer who works mainly in C I spend a lot of time in Vim as such my goto theme is gruvbox. This is a theme with a pastel 'retro groove' vibe. As gruvbox's main goal is to keep colours easily distinguishable, contrast enough while still being pleasant on the eyes this is what GMK gruvbox aims to do as well.

I've always wanted a gruvbox keycap set to go with gruvbox so I figured I would step up and do this. I've tried hard to stay as close as I could to using the colour pallet from gruvbox while maintaining a nice balance of colour and contrast.

The set features warm grays with desaturated browns, tints of red, green, yellow, blue and purple, alongside dark cream text.

IC Form & Feedback:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1oxT5FMDn2qs54c5ME9FlOxEvO6hi9cXvlk_Olr8TMFg

Kits

Base Kit

If an effort to calm some jimmies here is what the original modifiers legends were. (lowercase with no icon)

Also I've had a few people request dark alphas so here is what that would look like.

40's Kit

Vim Kit

More on Colours

To touch a little more on the colours I’ve included the original colours paired with their RAL counterpart below.

To add to this I've added render of gruvbox right next to Oblivion... hopefully people will see the diff. This shows gruvbox on the top and Oblivion on the bottom.

Thanks

• Thanks to ApexKeyboards for all his help.
  • NathanAlphaMan for his help, feedback, ideas, and colour help and more.

Vendors (Planned Vendors):

• ApexKeyboards (US/CAN)
  • Mykeyboard.eu (EU)
  • Dailyclack (OCE/AUS)
  • Monstar (ASIA)

Initial Renders:

Iron180

PC E85

Iron165

Artisan Cap

« Last Edit: Wed, 13 January 2021, 14:44:40 by synmuffin »

Offline synmuffin

Re: [IC] GMK Gruvbox
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 19 August 2020, 08:52:54 »
.... yeah

Offline yoot

• none
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 19 August 2020, 08:56:46 »
One of my all time favorite vim colorschemes! Hope this comes to fruition.

Offline ergusto

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 19 August 2020, 08:56:57 »
I am into this like a ham sandwich.

Offline darthcapn

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 19 August 2020, 08:57:38 »
This is quite close to oblivion.
Praxis | Portal | Frog F13 | Vega | Sat75 | F2-84 | Iron 165 | KFE CE | Spring | Pandora | Mr Suit | MGA | Jelly Epoch

Dolice | Glare | Vmax chyuu | W1-AT | Hoshizora | iron 160 | Nazaré | Tomo

Offline synmuffin

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 19 August 2020, 09:03:43 »

In that they are both IDE themes... yes.

Offline falzm

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 19 August 2020, 09:05:39 »
That's my go-to theme for terminal/editors/IDEs, hard yes!

Offline Wilba

• * Maker
  • Keyboard Stuff Person
    • wilba.tech
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 19 August 2020, 09:06:04 »
C keywords are lowercase.

My jimmies are rustled.

Offline nu_types

• Formerly Iredeus
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 19 August 2020, 09:10:10 »

Well, IDE themes don't really tend to vary greatly from one to another. But yes this is very similar. And just to head this off, no the Oblivion colorway does not belong to nor is it an original idea of Oblotzky (although he has some very good original designs). Just saying this in case someone doesn't know this and tries to gatekeep because someone wants to make an IDE themed set that sort of looks like another IDE themed set.

Honestly at this point I'm tired of IDE themed sets, they just strike me as low effort. That's just a personal opinion, though.
« Last Edit: Wed, 19 August 2020, 09:13:41 by nu_types »

Offline Furikurichemy

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 19 August 2020, 09:13:35 »
This one is looking good. Will there be an F13 key in one of the kits like there is on the board renders?

Offline synmuffin

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 19 August 2020, 09:13:59 »

My jimmies are rustled.

I understand, I did play with them going back and forth on lowercase / uppercase but the the lowercase never seemed to fit right. I would be happy to share the renders of those if you would like to c. ;)

Offline nu_types

• Formerly Iredeus
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 19 August 2020, 09:14:40 »
Duplicate

Offline foysauce_

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 19 August 2020, 09:26:17 »
Oh wow, I use Gruvbox for Pycharm, Vim, Iterm, everything pretty much. For some reason this doesn't quite match with my Gruvbox background colors, but maybe that's hard to represent in the renders.

Either way, excited to see this IDE theme come to life!

Offline synmuffin

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 19 August 2020, 09:38:40 »
Oh wow, I use Gruvbox for Pycharm, Vim, Iterm, everything pretty much. For some reason this doesn't quite match with my Gruvbox background colors, but maybe that's hard to represent in the renders.

Either way, excited to see this IDE theme come to life!

Yeah the bg colour on the default dark theme is used in the modifiers while the lighter I used in the alphas. Check out the colours image I posted and you'll see the original gruvbox colours compared to their RAL counterparts I went with.  :thumb:

Offline The.Ryan.Gamer

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 19 August 2020, 10:42:52 »
This looks good! Please use Ilumkb for Asia Vendor. Then i'm sold!  :thumb:

Offline IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 19 August 2020, 10:46:47 »
Null Rama cap

Offline Benedikt

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 19 August 2020, 11:03:11 »
Having const, void besides if, else, do, while, for, besides char and int, as well as static and struct for shift - seems to me the novelty mod names are all over the place. I understand it is likely inspired by your day to day use in C but in my opinion it could be streamlined a bit.

Offline NoPunIn10Did

• NoPunIn10Key
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 19 August 2020, 11:05:40 »
I'm not sure text+icon mods work as well with your various C keywords.  The whole thing would look cleaner sticking to text-only, in all likelihood.  You should also double-check that they're all using the same text size. 

Have a look at your alpha legends too; some of the alignment is screwy (particularly with punctuation).  GMK uses a left-align pattern but they fudge it a lot.  There should be some models out on the intertubes that match those particular legends more closely (and mean you won't have to apply text in this manner).

Have you considered how expensive this will be to produce in GMK?  Do any of these keyword legends exist?  If so, in what sizes?

Offline SilentEdge

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 19 August 2020, 11:27:52 »
Yesssss, this is perfect! Absolutely love the artisan key too, really ties the whole set together. In this for sure!!

Offline harlekein

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 19 August 2020, 12:40:22 »
This is my favorite color scheme and I use it wherever I can, but somehow this kit looks really dull to me. It looks like plain grey and white instead of the warmer colors of Gruvbox.

The set does not look like this to me:

Furthermore, I like the C keyword mods, but they should be full lower case imo.

I actually considered running this myself at some point, but I knew it was inevitable someone would. GMK <insert colort scheme> is a safe bet.
« Last Edit: Thu, 20 August 2020, 03:15:08 by harlekein »

Offline Dave Alvarado

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 19 August 2020, 14:06:54 »

My jimmies are rustled.
Same.  I'd buy it's VB-style keywords, except for the Void. 

Offline violeaf

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 19 August 2020, 14:35:26 »
... somehow this kit looks really dull to me. It looks like plain grey and white instead of the warmer colors of Gruvbox.

Agree, it needs a much warmer tone. Funny enough I also tinkered with the the colour combo on wasdkeyboards, looks like it's going to be popular when a perfect set comes out...

Offline CustomerSupport

• 🕸 developer
    • Discord
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 19 August 2020, 15:49:49 »
Warmer tones would help with the Oblivion/<other IDE/> comparisons

Offline hottrout

• I'd Hit Dat Key
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 19 August 2020, 15:52:20 »
Love the kit.  Please make sure and add UK ISO or a full ISO kit.
Current Daily Driver : Virgo - Ultramarine - Standard Lube  |  WTB : Topre Realforce Hi-Pro, please PM me if you have one for sale.

Systems -
More
Work |i9-7940x@4.8ghz|32GB(3600)|STRIX-RTX3090Ti|Bespoke Water, 360m Rad|X299 Prime Deluxe|EK x299 Monoblock|Optane 900p|2x1TB 960 Pro|2x10TB Helium|Dell U3415W + Dell UP2116Q
Home |i9-13900ks|32GB(7300)|Rog RTX 4090|Asus Z790 Rog Maximus Hero|Torrent Air|2TB 990 Pro|2TB 990 Pro|Dell AW3423DW QOLED|NEC MultiSync|Drobo16TB
Mining |i5-7500|16GB(2400)|H110 Pro BTC+|8x1080Ti|2x1650Watt PSU

Plus 40 years of collecting retro computers, consoles, games, peripherals, mainframes and mini's as well as their software, keyboards, games and manuals. 100's of systems including every Amiga model made
  Keyboards -
More
IBM 3101 | IBM 3276 | IBM 5150 | IBM ModelM | Dictaphone Dual Display | Vintage Cherrys (1982 onwards, just about all of them) | Commodore (all of them) | Nixdorf | Siemens | ICL | Apple (all of them) | Filco Majistouch | KBDFans 5degree - Chocolate | Rama M6-B - Moon | CA66 Silver | ClueBoard Graphite/PC | Varmilo VA69M Silver | E7-V1 SE Yellow | Rama U-80 Space Grey | VN66 Navy | BOCC Frosted Polycarbonate | Rama M10-C Midnight | FLX Virgo Teal & Black | Rama M60-A LYN Kuro | Space65 CyberVoyager WhiteGold | Space65 CyberVoyager Terminal | Hyper 7 | Clarabelle Sandblasted Polycarbonate | Elongate Mini 1800 Blue | Petrichor 1800 Red | Vulcan Maja Ergo Green | Think6.5v2 RoboCop | Jacky Bear 65% E-White | Sakabato CB87 TKL Champagne | KCK KY-01 Aquamarine | Jae J-01 F&F E-White & Copper | S7.7 E-White | The Adélie Blue | NIX OxalyS80 LE Dark Polycarbonate | Mesa TKL E-White | Smith & Rune IRON180 Graen/Brass | Skog Reboot Desert | CU7 Black | ROTR Silver & Copper | RAMA Kara Soya | Grid 650 E-White | SIX5 LE Aluminium & Gold | OwLab Voice65 Grey | BOX 75 Black Stainless Steel | Onyx E-White | Ikki68 BT Charcoal | Smith & Rune Iron 165 Graphite & Stainless Steel | Epoch 80% Black | RAMA Thermal SEQ2 Kuro | Paper Crane Gerald65 SE PC & CF | CB1800 ZANBATO | GLiTCH | Eclipse Grey & SS | TGR Tomo Silver | Mountain Ergo Black | Keebwerk NASU Black/Red | Phase One 65 Grey | Command TKL Fire | Chalice Frosted | VIENDI 8L Shadow | | Vulcan Maja PC | Glove 80 | Matrix 8XV 3.0 Starry Night | Sagittarius Grey Lilac | AKB OGR & Numpad Dolch | Type K Black

Offline Vyndem

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 20 August 2020, 08:04:07 »
Would be nicer with warmer tones and a bit more colours like Gruvbox itself is

Offline synmuffin

« Reply #25 on: Thu, 20 August 2020, 08:26:35 »
I've added a few more base kit renders centered around the feedback I've gotten. Thanks <3

Offline cadrev

« Reply #26 on: Thu, 20 August 2020, 12:22:21 »
full dark alpha is poggers!  :eek:

Offline Owl

« Reply #27 on: Thu, 20 August 2020, 16:15:00 »
I agree that the set should be warmer. There is a great interview that Manofinterests did that featured Olivia in regards to how she chose the Olive green for GMK Olive. The intent isn't to color match to an actual olive but to choose a green that reminds you of an olive and just "feels" like an olive. I think that kind of consideration is needed here as well because the set feels extremely "cool" compared to the very "warm" IDE theme that a lot of us programmers are familiar with. I don't think it's a matter of actually matching the RAL's to the Original hexcodes of the theme but, rather, picking out some colors that give the same feeling as the original IDE.

« Reply #28 on: Thu, 20 August 2020, 17:00:26 »
Love the look of this dude, I'm in!

Offline synmuffin

« Reply #29 on: Thu, 20 August 2020, 18:21:21 »
I agree that the set should be warmer. There is a great interview that Manofinterests did that featured Olivia in regards to how she chose the Olive green for GMK Olive. The intent isn't to color match to an actual olive but to choose a green that reminds you of an olive and just "feels" like an olive. I think that kind of consideration is needed here as well because the set feels extremely "cool" compared to the very "warm" IDE theme that a lot of us programmers are familiar with. I don't think it's a matter of actually matching the RAL's to the Original hexcodes of the theme but, rather, picking out some colors that give the same feeling as the original IDE.

Thank you, I really appreciate this.

Offline Techlet

« Reply #30 on: Thu, 20 August 2020, 21:16:16 »
Definitely tempted by the dark alphas.

Offline CodeMayhem

« Reply #31 on: Thu, 20 August 2020, 23:32:25 »
I think this is too close to oblivion and dracula for it to get alot of consideration.

Offline drudru

« Reply #32 on: Sun, 23 August 2020, 17:08:13 »
I just did looked at your comparison to Oblivion. You should have NathanAlphaMan recheck that. It is much lighter than Oblivion.

Offline 1391401

• MX CLEAR
« Reply #33 on: Sun, 23 August 2020, 23:02:14 »
I like this colorscheme both in an IDE and on the board but I know I will be the minority when I say this but I really don't like modifiers that don't represent their intended purpose.  For example I type 'if' or 'else' while coding I don't just hit the one button.  I think I'm boring in that regard.  I also don't know korean which half this board must :P
People I've given money to from this webform who never respond to me and have not shipped me anything: ctrlalt.io 1 2, Team Readline Reputable alternatives to GH group buys: http://pimpmykeyboard.com, https://www.massdrop.com,

Offline ggmoss

« Reply #34 on: Sun, 23 August 2020, 23:25:04 »
it looks nice!  :thumb:
how about 'lowercase+icon' for mods.

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #35 on: Mon, 24 August 2020, 06:05:18 »
Ngl, I like the lowercase mods without icons better than the current ones.

Kitting-wise, the base kit is mostly good, although there are a few things that I'd change:
  • Replace R4 \| with <> in order to avoid duplicate legends. More on this here.
  • Change Num↲Lock to Num for a consistent single-line look across the board.
  • The second 2.25u Shift should be Struct since that key is supposed to be a RShift.
  • That being said, I think it'd be better if the LShift was Struct and the RShifts Static since struct is a more important/frequent keyword, and more often than not you're going to have a 1.75u RShift or not have it at all. Bonus: this way you get to have typedef above struct; the two are often paired together.
  • Why Goto, Auto, Static and not Break, Case, Switch? When's the last time you used auto or goto in a C program? :P
  • I think you could give While a more prominent role. For example, change 1.75u Shift to Switch, change 1u Char to Case, change 1.25u Goto to While, and change 1.25u Auto to Char. Or something like that.
  • The right-side bottom row mods don't need to have the same legends as the left side. You could change these up to use some of the keywords that you haven't utilized yet (union, sizeof, enum, float etc.).
The 40s kit also needs work, but I'll leave that for another time.
« Last Edit: Fri, 28 August 2020, 18:28:27 by konstantin »

Offline gilbert

« Reply #36 on: Mon, 24 August 2020, 07:13:08 »
Really really cool!
Collection: F1.69, G80-5K, Bliss TKL, Ecliptica, Cypher, Safa S588, Southpaw Fullsize, HHKB Pro2, Zenith G80-1192HAD

Offline synmuffin

« Reply #37 on: Fri, 28 August 2020, 18:25:46 »
Ngl, I like the lowercase mods without icons better than the current ones.

Kitting-wise, the base kit is mostly good, although there are a few things that I'd change:
  • Replace R4 \| with <> in order to avoid duplicate legends. More on this here.
  • Change Num↲Lock to Num for a consistent single-line look across the board.
  • The second 2.25u Shift should be Struct since that key is supposed to be a RShift.
  • That being said, I think it'd be better if the LShift was Struct and the RShifts Static since struct is a more important/frequent keyword, and more often than not you're going to have a 1.75u RShift or not have it at all. Bonus: this way you get to have typedef above struct; the two are often paired together.
  • Why Goto, Auto, Static and not Break, Case, Switch? When's the last time you used auto or goto in a C program? :P
  • I think you could give While a more prominent role. For example, change 1.75u Shift to Switch, change 1u Char to Case, change 1.25u Goto to While, and change 1.25u Auto to Char. Or something like that.
  • The right-side bottom row mods don't need to have the same legends as the left side. You could change these up to use some of the keywords that you haven't utilized yet (union, sizeof, enum, float etc.).
The 40s kit also needs work, but I'll leave that for another time.

Thank you so much! I really appreciate it. This is really helpful and I'm going to be making some of these changes. I may hit you up for talks about the 40s kit.
« Last Edit: Fri, 28 August 2020, 20:33:40 by synmuffin »

Offline Darkzephr

« Reply #38 on: Fri, 28 August 2020, 19:26:57 »
Please please do an ortho kit, I need this.

Offline Vyndem

« Reply #39 on: Tue, 08 September 2020, 11:23:05 »
Still going to continue with the set?

Offline Zoba

« Reply #40 on: Tue, 08 September 2020, 12:02:33 »
I think the Fn/Meta key should say "extern" !

Offline synmuffin

« Reply #41 on: Sat, 12 September 2020, 13:12:50 »
Still going to continue with the set?

Yes, I hope to. I'm reworking a few things, and have some deskmats done.

Offline MIXO Cables

« Reply #42 on: Sun, 13 September 2020, 22:56:43 »
looks like a second version of oblivion,....

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #43 on: Mon, 14 September 2020, 12:58:49 »
Love this set, even if it's close to Oblivion - it is definitely different in subtle ways and would love to get my hands on it to photograph.

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline boyjun

« Reply #44 on: Wed, 04 November 2020, 00:54:05 »
Nice  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Tue, 06 April 2021, 00:27:01 by boyjun »

Offline Hyperdimension

« Reply #45 on: Fri, 13 November 2020, 09:29:22 »
i ****ing love the iconless mods one.

Offline arkze

« Reply #46 on: Fri, 13 November 2020, 11:22:08 »
Dark alphas iconless looks so good

Offline harlekein

« Reply #47 on: Fri, 13 November 2020, 13:27:18 »
looks like a second version of oblivion,....

It's a color scheme from a text editor. None of the keycap designers invented these. The original colors look different though.

Offline pol139

« Reply #48 on: Fri, 13 November 2020, 18:07:31 »
like 'null' key :-*

Offline Desperado.

« Reply #49 on: Tue, 17 November 2020, 15:32:02 »
this is a lot to ask, and forgive me if I sound stupid, but I know many of us would love to have this board in our programming language. Honestly, I think people would be really happy if they could buy a mod kit that had their language on it. I dont expect you to have a ton of kits, but I know I would happily pay for a kit that had Java or C++ mods. Maybe there could be a Java, Python, C or C++ mod kit? idk I am somewhat new to the GB scene so forgive me if this is totally ignorant or if it is totally impossible for you to do that. I just know that I would happily pay for that kit if it was available.