Author Topic: A year in review (collection)  (Read 43707 times)

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
A year in review (collection)
« on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 23:18:15 »
It was about a year ago today I decided to take the plunge and sign up for geekhack.

To celebrate, I thought I would share my collection with you all, of keyboards I've obtained over the past year.

Let's start back around this time last year..

Kind of a lot of stuff, 2 almost completely identical 60%'s (Poker 2 and KBP V60), and many other boards spread throughout. It....was a mess to say the least.

---

Now, let's fast forward. My collection as of today! It's much more simplified, and includes things I actually use on a regular basis...
I'll make sure to include descriptions for everything...click "more" underneath a board to see more photos  :)
(P.S. you may have seen these photos elsewhere, and lighting might be inconsistent, I'm lazy, pls don't blame me)

Digilog Realforce 55g
Lubed
Silenced w/Hypersphere Rings

Artisans: Celestial Blue BBv2, Cherokey, Bloodlust Lycan, Red on Black Chickkey

----

Cherry G80-1800 HAU
Vintage 62g Blacks, lubed
OG Beige doubleshots
CMYW

More

The board/case has a production code of K28, but switches and housing are actually from a D92 ('91)

----

OTD 456GT
62g Vintage clears - lubed & stickered
OG Cherry Dyesubs - G81-3xxx (sadly I can't pinpoint the exact board these are from...)
Custom Yarbo audiophile cable

More

----

IBM 1392464 "DisplayWrite" SSK

OG caps (save for the artisan)
Artisan: Toothache Grumpkin

-----

GH60
lubed & stickered Tactile Greys
GON SS plate
TEX Aluminum case
OG Dolch + Red GMK Esc key

More

----

Varmilo VA87MR

stock Gateron Blacks
*gifted!

--

Misc. (mostly things I keep around due to sentimental value)

IBM 1391401
gifted by a friend back in 2014.

some other artisans:

--

So...a quick review of the past year.

When I first joined geekhack, I thought this place was really intimidating because of all the flashy keyboards and the inner-circle jokes/references...but I stuck around for a while, and learned a lot about the users here. I've talked to many of you, and even got to meet a few of you in Raleigh this past fall! TL:DR; boards and caps come and go, but community and generosity leave a lifetime impression; I guess that's how I've stuck around for so long. :)

;D
« Last Edit: Sun, 07 February 2016, 13:49:10 by jerue »

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
Re: A year in review (collection)
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 00:28:34 »
This collection is insane! I love your collection bro  :thumb:

Offline sncbraxsc2

• ⭐Domesticated Dweeb⭐
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 00:32:16 »
TL:DR; boards and caps come and go, but community and generosity leave a lifetime impression :)

Great variety in your collection :cool: Thanks for sharing awesome pictures and message!

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 00:34:30 »
Nice collection Jerue, gimme 456gt plz. :p
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 06:55:36 »
Nice collection Jerue, gimme 456gt plz.
This is request thread, yes?

Hope your next year is just as great!

Offline mobbo

• u fk
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 07:07:35 »
I love these collection threads.

Hard to imagine you've acquired all that in a year. And as it's been stated, I love the variety of boards you've got. I'm kind of trying to to something similar right now and get a korean custom, topre board, 60%, buckling spring, etc.

How has your attitude towards the hobby changed over the span of the year?
Quote from: Binge
crumping is like twerking but it's all about getting low with force.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 07:18:27 »
That OTD is amazing, definitely my favourite here.

Offline jerue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 07:29:28 »
This collection is insane! I love your collection bro  :thumb:

Great variety in your collection :cool: Thanks for sharing awesome pictures and message!

ty, ty both :) esp. you snc for hooking me up with the 1800  :thumb:

but its sooo gooooood :P

Thanks! I kind of want to ease off the accelerator with collecting in 2016...the only thing I really hope to collect this year are more of Binge's Skullthulhus, but as far as keyboards, I am really content with my collection - I will probably send Steezus the Varmilo to be tuned up :)

Hard to imagine you've acquired all that in a year. And as it's been stated, I love the variety of boards you've got. I'm kind of trying to to something similar right now and get a korean custom, topre board, 60%, buckling spring, etc.

Yea, my wallet took a beating (especially between August and October 2015) but it's been worth it :)

My attitude has definitely changed...I don't really want to acquire things for the sake of acquiring anymore, I am trying to appreciate boards and keycaps on a more deeper level - to think about the hard work that went into it (artisans are a great example). That, and interacting with people here has made me realize geekhack is an odd corner of the internet, people are so willing to help one another, we laugh, get angry, just like a community IRL; the vibes here are unlike other forums I've been involved with where everything just felt kind of disconnected - geekhack can be homey if you want to help make it that way.

That said, if I got my hands on a Duck Viper, Cherry G80-5000, and a OTD 356.2 I wouldn't be upset in the slightest ;) (that's the list of dream boards I have to acquire beyond 2017...)
« Last Edit: Fri, 05 February 2016, 07:31:01 by jerue »

Offline Khers

• Schrödinger's box
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 07:33:51 »
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 July 2018, 08:30:24 by Khers »

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 10:06:56 »

Yea, my wallet took a beating (especially between August and October 2015) but it's been worth it :)

My attitude has definitely changed...I don't really want to acquire things for the sake of acquiring anymore, I am trying to appreciate boards and keycaps on a more deeper level - to think about the hard work that went into it (artisans are a great example). That, and interacting with people here has made me realize geekhack is an odd corner of the internet, people are so willing to help one another, we laugh, get angry, just like a community IRL; the vibes here are unlike other forums I've been involved with where everything just felt kind of disconnected - geekhack can be homey if you want to help make it that way.

That said, if I got my hands on a Duck Viper, Cherry G80-5000, and a OTD 356.2 I wouldn't be upset in the slightest ;) (that's the list of dream boards I have to acquire beyond 2017...)
I like this guy! you need to appreciate board not collecting them. damn collectors that have so many identical board that instead of being used is just waiting in the closet room

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 10:08:39 »
jerue I really like that 1800 and your SSK. I really like your focused and small collection. :)

Offline jerue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 10:10:30 »
That OTD is amazing, definitely my favourite here.

Thanks! The 456 is a truly awesome board...even with that steep angle <3

This is quite some collection you've got there, jerue. One year is not a lot of time for acquiring such gems. Well done! :)

Thanks! Yea a lot of things went up for sale at around the same time...couldn't pass it up :)

I like this guy! you need to appreciate board not collecting them. damn collectors that have so many identical board that instead of being used is just waiting in the closet room

Thanks, yea if I had the 356.2 I'd probably be done with all other boards - the 456 would have to go for sure.

I have thought about looking for different sorts of Cherry boards, but really I only like the 1800 and 5000 the most.

I used to keep a "gore pit" of keyboards, but not any more, even rotating a couple of boards at home is plenty for me  :thumb:

jerue I really like that 1800 and your SSK. I really like your focused and small collection. :)

Thanks CPT! The 1800 is amazing...it took a lot time and effort to get it up and running (a bad exp. with taobao, and another member hooking me up with their 1800), but it'll be my home-board for quite a while. It's my one keyboard purchase for 2016, and I'm not regretting it.

The SSK is also really awesome, completely factory stock and the caps are so amazing with the bold font.

Yea, sometimes less is more, I think I'm learning that with keyboards :)

« Last Edit: Fri, 05 February 2016, 10:15:48 by jerue »

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 10:12:14 »
I've also been here for year (1 year + 1 day, to be exact)

I'm pretty contempt with the boards and artisans I have right now, but they have nothing on the digilog and the OTD! really sweet boards dude :thumb:

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 10:13:29 »

Thanks, yea if I had the 356.2 I'd probably be done with all other boards - the 456 would have to go for sure.

I have thought about looking for different sorts of Cherry boards, but really I only like the 1800 and 5000 the most.

I used to keep a "gore pit" of keyboards, but not any more, even rotating a couple of boards at home is plenty for me  :thumb:
Why? what makes this board so special? rarity? and bro can you help me with digilog screw? check my thread I need some help  :'(

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 10:13:56 »
I'm sorry jerue you already answer my question about otd board I forgot  :-[

Offline jerue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 10:21:59 »

I'm pretty contempt with the boards and artisans I have right now, but they have nothing on the digilog and the OTD! really sweet boards dude :thumb:

Yea I think I remember seeing we registered at about the same time :)

But, you have the red printed Realforce set T___T that will evade me forever OnO

You have some nice boards as well! I like the character of the plastic case on the Realforce, and the HHKB...that board is just nice overall.  :thumb:

Why? what makes this board so special? rarity? and bro can you help me with digilog screw? check my thread I need some help  :'(

I saw the thread, I don't know the size screws for the board :( I will try to figure it out though.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 10:24:51 »

Thanks CPT! The 1800 is amazing...it took a lot time and effort to get it up and running (a bad exp. with taobao, and another member hooking me up with their 1800), but it'll be my home-board for quite a while. It's my one keyboard purchase for 2016, and I'm not regretting it.

The SSK is also really awesome, completely factory stock and the caps are so amazing with the bold font.

Yea, sometimes less is more, I think I'm learning that with keyboards :)

I've got an Leeku 1800 running at work. It's not collector level or an actual Dolch board but I love it all the same. I definitely get your love for it :D.

And I've got those caps on my SSK. Yours are in much better condition though haha. Really awesome caps. I've been enjoying collecting BS caps.

And you're right, I definitely think your approach to the keyboard game is the right one. I'm trying to get over being sentimental and wanting everything so that I can sell some of my unused boards.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 10:35:34 »
0/10 thread. No HHKB.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 10:36:15 »

But, you have the red printed Realforce set T___T that will evade me forever OnO

You have some nice boards as well! I like the character of the plastic case on the Realforce, and the HHKB...that board is just nice overall.  :thumb:

ah yes the red set was a very lucky find...

yeah I love the RF, and I really hope I can find a digilog case to call my own some day.

Offline jerue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 10:38:36 »
0/10 thread. No HHKB.

not even a 1 for having some topre...0/10 chill

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 10:41:44 »
I have that same SSK - the displaywrite one. It is awesome. I haven't seen too many of them around. It gets the second most use out of all my keyboards - top spot being the HHKB.
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 10:52:02 »
some cash was dropped this last year. hell yes  :thumb:
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 11:19:34 »
Nice collection man. Need more hhkb tho.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 12:07:54 »
0/10 thread. No HHKB.

not even a 1 for having some topre...0/10 chill

Good point.

.55/10
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 13:03:45 »

Thanks! I kind of want to ease off the accelerator with collecting in 2016...the only thing I really hope to collect this year are more of Binge's Skullthulhus, but as far as keyboards, I am really content with my collection - I will probably send Steezus the Varmilo to be tuned up :)

That will cost you one 456gt for a Varmilo tune up. :p

JK, glad to help out anytime. :thumb:
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline E3E

« Reply #25 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 14:00:21 »
Heh, I haven't even been in this community for a year. I have spent more than 2k on boards and related stuff though, and I don't even have that many customs!

Though the end of 2015 for me in this hobby was beyond stellar with the accolades I've had for my work. Definitely helped me feel like I wasn't just pissing money away on something pointless.

-

Oh, and here I thought this thread was about our collections.

I've scrolled up since this presumption.

Nice stuff, man!
« Last Edit: Fri, 05 February 2016, 14:03:42 by E3E »

Offline jerue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 14:40:12 »
I have that same SSK - the displaywrite one. It is awesome. I haven't seen too many of them around. It gets the second most use out of all my keyboards - top spot being the HHKB.

Yea, it's sad they are rare :( I really hope nothing happens to mine b/c the caps will be impossible to replace...it's definitely a special board through and through!

Nice collection man. Need more hhkb tho.

stahppppp

some cash was dropped this last year. hell yes  :thumb:

oh yea, but dem feels tho.

Heh, I haven't even been in this community for a year. I have spent more than 2k on boards and related stuff though, and I don't even have that many customs!

Though the end of 2015 for me in this hobby was beyond stellar with the accolades I've had for my work. Definitely helped me feel like I wasn't just pissing money away on something pointless.

-

Oh, and here I thought this thread was about our collections.

I've scrolled up since this presumption.

Nice stuff, man!

Your accolades have been well earned! Seriously, I think you have been a huge help in hyping up ALPS...your Eagle has made me want green alps...if that isn't saying something I don't know what is. It's definitely KOTY material  :thumb: but it's kind of like I said, we as a community support each other, so nothing should ever feel in vain :)

Offline E3E

« Reply #27 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 17:29:33 »
Your accolades have been well earned! Seriously, I think you have been a huge help in hyping up ALPS...your Eagle has made me want green alps...if that isn't saying something I don't know what is. It's definitely KOTY material  :thumb: but it's kind of like I said, we as a community support each other, so nothing should ever feel in vain :)

Thank you! I think it's astounding how the first annual KOTY was won by an Alps board out of the plethora of MX that could've taken the spot. Definitely an awesome win for the Alps community in some ways, though if it increased some of the hype, haha. I feel bad too, because the prices can get a little crazy. The Deskthority Award was an honor for me, especially being primarily a GeekHack poster (I believe in the community as a whole though, not factions, even if we can all be dumb at times in each respective forum :( ) and the KOTM November spot was nothing I waved off either.

Definitely happy for all that!

Still, I am very honored to have won and super happy I could've done it with this little Alps project of mine! :D

Yeah, you're right. I've sometimes wondered if I was just spending money where I shouldn't. It's so easy to spend in this hobby. I definitely love it though!

-

As an aside... Man, I might not be a BS guy, but I'd looove to stumble upon an Industrial factory modded SSK at an auto shop one day. Just, I'd LOVE to find ANY awesome old board and have it turn out to be a gem. All of my acquisitions have been deliberate buys.

Scavanger hunting is way more fun!

Offline dohbot

« Reply #28 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 17:33:36 »
Really great collection! Loved reading everything!
That GHer who likes sloths... A lot.

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #29 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 17:48:18 »
A year in retrospect is a serious journey!  Good job having things to catalog and a story behind each acquisition.  Large parts of the year feel really hazy for me so mucho respect on keeping it all so organized :)
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline jerue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #30 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 19:15:05 »

As an aside... Man, I might not be a BS guy, but I'd looove to stumble upon an Industrial factory modded SSK at an auto shop one day. Just, I'd LOVE to find ANY awesome old board and have it turn out to be a gem. All of my acquisitions have been deliberate buys.

Scavanger hunting is way more fun!

Man, that would be AMAZING to stumble across an SSK in general...let alone an industrial :eek:

funny enough about scavenger hunting, 3/4 of the beige boards in the background of the first photo are actually from my local goodwill...the Softek Amber Omron board, a Dell AT101W, and the space invaders board were all found there. Since then I have hardly seen anything except a random Selectric I about 20mi from me....had some good finds today like those Brother Topre compatible keycaps, a Selectric II, but the game is rough. I see a lot of typewriters though which is a good sign there is still old equipment in my area.

I would try e-cyclers but the one in my city has the most bizarre hours and is only open on weekdays. I bet that's where most of the good stuff goes....oh well, I can still try and hunt the state surplus site. However from what I know most of the good stuff was trashed about 7-8 years ago...

Really great collection! Loved reading everything!

thanks mang. I really loved writing about it :)

A year in retrospect is a serious journey!  Good job having things to catalog and a story behind each acquisition.  Large parts of the year feel really hazy for me so mucho respect on keeping it all so organized :)

Thank you much Binge. Yea, I would say April-June was a bit foggy, I could probably dig up some more photos but I rushed a bit to make the OP...I hope you know that your Skullthulhu is one of the reasons why I am taking the approach to keycaps the way I am...it's probably the first artisan I have truly admired since I learned about all of this keyboard stuff...I guess I am to skullthulhus like dohbot up there is to slo-fis :)

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #31 on: Sat, 06 February 2016, 09:34:29 »

You could get a printed red realforce caps from widebasket over ebay. But the price tho
Henz is selling one fast grab it

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #32 on: Sun, 21 February 2016, 00:42:02 »
Congratulations on a very elegant collection :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ