Author Topic: [IC] GMK AZiMUTH - Updates, Poll Results  (Read 71663 times)

Offline quantrix

Re: [IC] GMK AZiMUTH - Printing Poll Added
« Reply #50 on: Fri, 27 May 2016, 18:10:19 »
Got any results from the poll?  :-\

« Reply #51 on: Sat, 28 May 2016, 17:49:32 »
So this is a total aside...

I didn't realize the computer was based on the Grid!

If anyone wants to watch a really great documentary (in general) and wants to hear the story behind the design of the Grid computer, you should all check out the (relatively old ~ 4-5 yrs) documentary titled "Objectified." It focuses on industrial design and they interview the designer of the Grid through the course of it!

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
Re: [IC] GMK AZiMUTH
« Reply #52 on: Sun, 29 May 2016, 19:58:57 »
Wow! what a render.

Any chance to have an accented yellow/orange ISO Enter key like the ANSI Enter included?

Show Image

Seriously though, I'll definitely throw in another ISO enter if the demand is high enough. Otherwise got to keep the extras to a minimum.

@tintoret:

Any update on this? This set shall be produced.

A set like this deserves to be in any serious mechanical keyboard user and collector's collection, it will be like having a sample of one of the best examples of keyboard history, a keyboard serving as part of a high tech, for its era, computer system; by its colors alone, it would be one of the best looking key set that it is also very classy, that has just the right amount of orange and cyan highlights; just in case those attributes may not be enough, it will be manufactured by GMK, what else a keyboard lover could ask for in a set.
« Last Edit: Sun, 29 May 2016, 20:04:37 by ideus »

Offline tintoret

« Reply #53 on: Sun, 29 May 2016, 21:31:43 »
Wow! what a render.

Any chance to have an accented yellow/orange ISO Enter key like the ANSI Enter included?

Show Image

Seriously though, I'll definitely throw in another ISO enter if the demand is high enough. Otherwise got to keep the extras to a minimum.

@tintoret:

Any update on this? This set shall be produced.

A set like this deserves to be in any serious mechanical keyboard user and collector's collection, it will be like having a sample of one of the best examples of keyboard history, a keyboard serving as part of a high tech, for its era, computer system; by its colors alone, it would be one of the best looking key set that it is also very classy, that has just the right amount of orange and cyan highlights; just in case those attributes may not be enough, it will be manufactured by GMK, what else a keyboard lover could ask for in a set.

No updates yet, but I'll be getting back to it soon. It's great to hear the enthusiasm!

Offline Suruga Devil

« Reply #54 on: Mon, 30 May 2016, 07:37:36 »
In for one once the GB starts, subscribed  :thumb:

Offline cirrus82

« Reply #55 on: Wed, 01 June 2016, 19:59:40 »

Same, would most likely be in for two.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #56 on: Wed, 01 June 2016, 20:20:03 »

Same, would most likely be in for two.

That's the spirit.

Offline KyleZhuang

« Reply #57 on: Thu, 02 June 2016, 22:37:17 »
Maybe this will be my first GMK set. Cant wait to see it happens!
REALFORCE 104 Pro-30

Offline MacGruber117

« Reply #58 on: Fri, 03 June 2016, 10:02:29 »
I'm in, looks great!
I want to buy your ETF and Garbo Pusses. PM me

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #59 on: Fri, 03 June 2016, 10:30:06 »
Some group buy leaders are hype masters, that are posting all the time, as if they were full time geekhackers; in the other hand, the GB leader for this set is just like you and me, a mech-keyboard enthusiast, that has had a brilliant idea: to make a GMK set after the famous Grid computer, that was a landmark in portable computers history. Do not be fooled, this thread is not bumped all the time, nor the OP is claiming to have fixed GMK molding process; this is not a colorful orange, neither a manly unicorn mix; but, this is a set that any serious mechanical keyboard aficionado deserves to have and use, imagine a sixty keyboard fully dressed with a piece of PC history; now, you would be able to type on a museum quality device, everyday...

« Last Edit: Fri, 03 June 2016, 10:32:43 by ideus »

Offline tintoret

« Reply #60 on: Fri, 03 June 2016, 10:49:57 »
Some group buy leaders are hype masters, that are posting all the time, as if they were full time geekhackers; in the other hand, the GB leader for this set is just like you and me, a mech-keyboard enthusiast, that has had a brilliant idea: to make a GMK set after the famous Grid computer, that was a landmark in portable computers history. Do not be fooled, this thread is not bumped all the time, nor the OP is claiming to have fixed GMK molding process; this is not a colorful orange, neither a manly unicorn mix; but, this is a set that any serious mechanical keyboard aficionado deserves to have and use, imagine a sixty keyboard fully dressed with a piece of PC history; now, you would be able to type on a museum quality device, everyday...

Show Image

Thanks! Yeah, I've been pretty busy with life, but I'm really excited to see if we can get this set to production. It has not been forgotten! For those asking about the poll, the results seem to be indecisively hovering around 50-50. I'd love to see a top printed set for aesthetic reasons, but I want to be sure that the legend quality will be up to par and I share everyone's ambivalence about the durability of pad printing. It would be a shame to put together a recreation set that doesn't last. So it's likely the set won't run until there is a stronger general impression about the quality of GMKs contemporary pad printing process. (Maybe after some feedback from the folks who picked up Royal Alpha?)

In the meantime I'd love to hear feedback about what requests people have for layout support, and any other thoughts on how to improve the set. Also, since this would be my first GB, it's likely it would need to go through a vendor, or with support from a more experienced GH member so that people feel more secure in participating.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #61 on: Fri, 03 June 2016, 11:22:50 »

Show Image

Thanks! Yeah, I've been pretty busy with life, but I'm really excited to see if we can get this set to production. It has not been forgotten! For those asking about the poll, the results seem to be indecisively hovering around 50-50. I'd love to see a top printed set for aesthetic reasons, but I want to be sure that the legend quality will be up to par and I share everyone's ambivalence about the durability of pad printing. It would be a shame to put together a recreation set that doesn't last. So it's likely the set won't run until there is a stronger general impression about the quality of GMKs contemporary pad printing process. (Maybe after some feedback from the folks who picked up Royal Alpha?)

In the meantime I'd love to hear feedback about what requests people have for layout support, and any other thoughts on how to improve the set. Also, since this would be my first GB, it's likely it would need to go through a vendor, or with support from a more experienced GH member so that people feel more secure in participating.

Wise reasoning and mature arguments make for a good planning process for this set.

I also share the concerns on pad printing longevity; however, I found them unjustified, if GMK uses the same manufacturing processes Cherry used, the reliability of their pad printing is close to OG sets that seem to last forever. I suggest you to contact GMK and ask if the pad printing they are using is of similar quality to old Cherry sets.

Regarding layout, I suggest you to include a row 3 `~ key and a row 4 \| key that go with US layouts with ISO enter; the keys you are suggesting are redundant with other keys in the set and they may work only if the set had the rest of keys to support an European language, that is not the case, neither the set would be mix and match with any other set due to its special color, therefore, there is no reason to include but ANSI compatible keys that may allow any user to take advantage of the set with either ANSI or ISO Enter keys. I can elaborate on this argument further if you are interested, but think on this feature as having only two strategies, to include full UK ISO support, that is the closest to ANSI with ISO enter, or to use an NCR styled layout back in the days when all the sets had an ISO enter, their ANSI keyboards had the keys I suggested, along with the standard US layout, exactly as your design.

Offline cirrus82

« Reply #62 on: Mon, 15 August 2016, 20:26:28 »
Still hoping this will happen!

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #63 on: Mon, 15 August 2016, 20:47:09 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 14:18:41 by alienman82 »

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #64 on: Mon, 15 August 2016, 22:23:48 »
Wow, saw that keyboard before & really wanted the caps haha.

F'sure in for top print so it looks more like the OG.

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #65 on: Mon, 15 August 2016, 23:17:42 »
With white on black currently running, wouldn't this have more success as an add-on?

Needs bars, obviously.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #66 on: Mon, 15 August 2016, 23:20:10 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 14:18:28 by alienman82 »

Offline effectiveduck

« Reply #67 on: Mon, 15 August 2016, 23:32:51 »
With white on black currently running, wouldn't this have more success as an add-on?

Needs bars, obviously.

There's no point imo, you'd only use ~15 alpha keys and that's it, making an add-on ~100+ keys anyway. So there's no point.

Also, soon...

+1 for top printed, there is a noticeable texture difference but the quality is outstanding and will last a very long time. I wasn't a fan of this set when I first saw it but it's really grown on me, I'll definitely try to participate if possible. :thumb:

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #68 on: Tue, 16 August 2016, 09:04:57 »

Needs bars, obviously.

There's no point imo, you'd only use ~15 alpha keys and that's it, making an add-on ~100+ keys anyway. So there's no point.

Also, soon...

+1 for top printed, there is a noticeable texture difference but the quality is outstanding and will last a very long time. I wasn't a fan of this set when I first saw it but it's really grown on me, I'll definitely try to participate if possible. :thumb:

Will be surely successful then since it's mixing skidata and wob, which are highly sought after.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #69 on: Tue, 16 August 2016, 09:06:26 »

Needs bars, obviously.

Also, soon...

Patiently waiting for the upcoming WoB.

Offline tintoret

« Reply #70 on: Tue, 16 August 2016, 09:07:32 »

Needs bars, obviously.

Also, soon...

The number of poll responses has been really encouraging. Top-printing is winning out, but the margin is pretty thin. I'm also really glad to hear that the folks with printed sets have been satisfied with the quality. As for an update, I've been caught up with some heavy research work and haven't had much time to put in, but I hope to pick things back up soon.

AZiMUTH has not been forgotten!

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #71 on: Tue, 16 August 2016, 09:11:02 »

Needs bars, obviously.

Also, soon...

The number of poll responses has been really encouraging. Top-printing is winning out, but the margin is pretty thin. I'm also really glad to hear that the folks with printed sets have been satisfied with the quality. As for an update, I've been caught up with some heavy research work and haven't had much time to put in, but I hope to pick things back up soon.

AZiMUTH has not been forgotten!

Glad to know about you, is there any chance you may add a 6u space bar? The base color is not exactly black; thus, while a black space bar would be mixed it would not match.

Offline duynguyenle

• Personal text? What personal text???
« Reply #72 on: Tue, 16 August 2016, 12:46:56 »
Hi guys, I may be a bit late to the party here, but I'm hoping to chime in on the pad print discussion. I've got on hand a Dolch set (one of Ivan's GB) which has ISO-UK legends front-printed on some of the caps, and to compare, I've got ISO-UK Dolch cap from an actual Dolch Pac keyboard. Here's a quick comparison:

The quality of the printing is good, and the size/font of the printed legends is a perfect match with the actual double-shot legends, so I have good confidence in GMK's pad printing process. As far as the set go, I think pad-printing of the special legends would be a good way forward (I have taken another photo here if you want to have a better look but sorry for the potato quality photos: https://imgur.com/a/6xn4X)

As a side request, is it possible to have the ISO-UK legends printed onto the relevant caps (be it side-print or front-print)? I think it would fit with the overall theme (since quite a few keys already have sublegends) and it would boost the desirability of the set. I for one would be ecstatic if this was possible (basically 6 keys needs to be changed just like the way these Dolch caps were done). Full ISO doubleshot keys would be ideal really, but any accommodation to a full ISO-UK coverage would get an instant buy from me!

Let me know if this is possible without significantly affecting the set price.
« Last Edit: Tue, 16 August 2016, 13:51:37 by duynguyenle »
| QFR            | Leeku 1800    | Raptor K1      | Dolch Pac

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #73 on: Tue, 16 August 2016, 13:56:20 »
Hi guys, I may be a bit late to the party here, but I'm hoping to chime in on the pad print discussion. I've got on hand a Dolch set (one of Ivan's GB) which has ISO-UK legends front-printed on some of the caps, and to compare, I've got ISO-UK Dolch cap from an actual Dolch Pac keyboard. Here's a quick comparison:
Show Image

The quality of the printing is good, and the size/font of the printed legends is a perfect match with the actual double-shot legends, so I have good confidence in GMK's pad printing process. As far as the set go, I think pad-printing of the special legends would be a good way forward (I have taken another photo here if you want to have a better look but sorry for the potato quality photos: https://imgur.com/a/6xn4X)

As a side request, is it possible to have the ISO-UK legends printed onto the relevant caps (be it side-print or front-print)? I think it would fit with the overall theme (since quite a few keys already have sublegends) and it would boost the desirability of the set. I for one would be ecstatic if this was possible (basically 6 keys needs to be changed just like the way these Dolch caps were done). Full ISO doubleshot keys would be ideal really, but any accommodation to a full ISO-UK coverage would get an instant buy from me!

Let me know if this is possible without significantly affecting the set price.

I think the set with side printed legends for the UK layout would rock; I just hope, it would not cost too much more because of the side printing.

Offline duynguyenle

« Reply #74 on: Tue, 16 August 2016, 18:01:12 »

I think the set with side printed legends for the UK layout would rock; I just hope, it would not cost too much more because of the side printing.

Actually, come to think of it, it's probably possible to have the UK sublegends entirely top-print and not bother with front-print at all. The 2 and 3 number row keys doesn't have any top print sublegends as of the latest render, so those could have the UK printed legends (" and £ respectively), then the ANSI " ' key could carry the @ sublegend instead of the tilde it currently carries (redundant). The R3 # ' could carry the tilde sublegend, ANSI tilde key could carry the UK sublegend, and the split ISO 1u could carry the extra backslash legends.

Plz OP make this happen  ;D

Offline odd

« Reply #75 on: Fri, 19 August 2016, 18:38:11 »
Please make this happen. I want this soooooo bad  :p :p :p :p

Offline Hypocaffeinic

« Reply #76 on: Mon, 22 August 2016, 11:41:45 »
Voted for side printing, keep the less durable print out of wear's way. Really hope this goes ahead, the inspiration and renders both are fantastic.

Offline cirrus82

« Reply #77 on: Thu, 08 September 2016, 21:14:42 »
Just another gentle bump for my most anticipated keyset of 2016 (thanks to the wait it's quickly becoming my most anticipated keyset ever and I already went nutso on Round 5 years ago).

Offline Mr_BeastQuake

• Reddit
« Reply #78 on: Sun, 11 September 2016, 23:58:42 »
Looks muy bueno, will be picking one up if made available.

Offline baloo25

« Reply #79 on: Mon, 12 September 2016, 20:11:32 »
These would look great on my v60

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #80 on: Wed, 23 November 2016, 15:36:56 »
hoping to see this set get in the 2017 cycle at GMK. so much garbage is already clogging the production pipeline...

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #81 on: Fri, 25 November 2016, 04:03:56 »
Will the R4 ISO alpha key be blank?

I'd prefer any legend on it instead of none. Otherwise it will stick out...

Agreed.

Possibly the <> symbol?

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #82 on: Fri, 25 November 2016, 04:04:43 »
Voted for side printing, keep the less durable print out of wear's way. Really hope this goes ahead, the inspiration and renders both are fantastic.
+1

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #83 on: Fri, 25 November 2016, 10:22:44 »

Duynguyenle's advice on Ivan's side printed legends is a great solution for the ISO-UK keys, that saves three keys in the set; also, it may allow the addition of US ANSI International sublegends covering the need of many international users if the choose to use an US ANSI layout.

I suggest the following alpha's side printed legends:

Here there are some samples of the keys with ISO-UK side printed legends, reported by duynguyenle:

Offline menuhin

« Reply #84 on: Sat, 26 November 2016, 19:07:17 »
Looks good and classy.
I'm in!
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline dubious

• 쏘쿨
« Reply #85 on: Mon, 28 November 2016, 13:31:29 »
ooo I am interested in this set, lots of GMK GBs going around... But I'm all for keysets that pay homage to tech history  :thumb:

voted for top printed legends because I like the busy look, and the original aesthetics. But if pad-printing on top proves to be less durable, I don't think there are enough unique keysets with front-printing.

I would love to see grey function keys as well, completes the look.
« Last Edit: Mon, 28 November 2016, 13:43:52 by dubious »

Offline childofthehorn

« Reply #86 on: Thu, 01 December 2016, 13:16:39 »
Hey Tintoret,

I ACTUALLY HAVE A GRiD 1530 with the Gas-Plasma Display that still works (and Battery still lasts 40 minutes). This is me playing Ultima 3 over the Turkey Day Holiday. Let me know if you need more detailed pictures or other items to get a perfect match.

Oh, as a Correction to your statement at the beginning of the post, these are NOT PAD-PRINTED LEGENDS. They are in fact, Triple-Shot. I can supply pictures to this effect if so desired.  Quality is GMK-level through and through with really thick full-shot ABS. 
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 December 2016, 13:19:58 by childofthehorn »

Offline duynguyenle

« Reply #87 on: Thu, 01 December 2016, 13:48:33 »
Hey Tintoret,

I ACTUALLY HAVE A GRiD 1530 with the Gas-Plasma Display that still works (and Battery still lasts 40 minutes). This is me playing Ultima 3 over the Turkey Day Holiday. Let me know if you need more detailed pictures or other items to get a perfect match.

Show Image

Oh, as a Correction to your statement at the beginning of the post, these are NOT PAD-PRINTED LEGENDS. They are in fact, Triple-Shot. I can supply pictures to this effect if so desired.  Quality is GMK-level through and through with really thick full-shot ABS.

This is amazing, unfortunately GMK does not have the capacity to perform triple-shot keycaps (Tombery had conversations with them already about this).

In light of this, I would still want pad-print as a stopgap until GMK can do triple shot (if that ever happens...)

Offline childofthehorn

« Reply #88 on: Thu, 01 December 2016, 14:03:25 »
Only the bottom row should have Front pad-printed and the rest should be top-pad printed. That would be most accurate and look most cool overall since Cherry profile is already pretty short.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #89 on: Thu, 01 December 2016, 14:44:13 »
Hey Tintoret,

Show Image

Wow, I think you should post some high quality pictures somewhere, maybe at the DT Wiki or somewhere like that for KB records to have a reference of a key set with triple shot legends.

Offline childofthehorn

« Reply #90 on: Thu, 01 December 2016, 16:02:13 »
Will try to get some pictures later tonight.

The Switches are pretty unique as well being a weirdly tactile Rubber dome + Click Leaf+ Spring+ Slider hybrid and they are STIFF. Its as heavy if not moreso than some older cherry Green board I have around, but extremely linear in its action (clicky though). The Spring under the Slider activates the Leaf which depresses the dome, so the actuation is in the midstroke and not at the bottom out.   

Current Colors for the Red (which is slightly pinkish) and Blue don't look totally accurate to what we have at home in the Grid, but will take some pictures with the DSLR later.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 December 2016, 16:12:55 by childofthehorn »

Offline menuhin

« Reply #91 on: Sat, 03 December 2016, 02:39:30 »
Hey Tintoret,

Show Image

Triple-Shot??!
Who was the maker?
So key cap making technology has recessed? Not only they are not able to make double-shot POM yet.
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT

Offline menuhin

« Reply #92 on: Sat, 03 December 2016, 03:22:12 »
And please, definitely should post on DT wiki to put GMK and SP to shame.
Perhaps some Chinese manufacturer can do Triple-Shot in the future.
More
IBM M13 black
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT

Offline duynguyenle

« Reply #93 on: Sat, 03 December 2016, 06:38:32 »
Hey Tintoret,

Show Image

Triple-Shot??!
Who was the maker?
So key cap making technology has recessed? Not only they are not able to make double-shot POM yet.

Triple shot caps definitely exists, I used to have an old typewriter with triple shot caps. And no, technology hasn't regressed. Much the opposite. But remember, cost-benefit analysis is a thing. It's not cheap to make double shot keycaps, and doubly so for triple shot. That's why manufacturers don't usually bother these days and 90% of the stuff you see on keyboards is pad-print

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #94 on: Sat, 03 December 2016, 09:18:36 »
Hey Tintoret,

Show Image

Triple-Shot??!
Who was the maker?

Triple shot caps definitely exists, I used to have an old typewriter with triple shot caps. And no, technology hasn't regressed. Much the opposite. But remember, cost-benefit analysis is a thing. It's not cheap to make double shot keycaps, and doubly so for triple shot. That's why manufacturers don't usually bother these days and 90% of the stuff you see on keyboards is pad-print

Each triple shot plastic component takes the costs, materials and labor required for three injection parts, plus the labor to mount the inner layer to mold the outer; furthermore, molds are more complex and their maintenance cost is higher than single shot moldsl. A triple shot part should be close to four times the cost of a single shot part. Add to it the fact that the market for such high cost key caps is very limited and what we have is a high cost product with almost no market, we all know that main stream keyboards have low cost keys.

Offline need

« Reply #95 on: Sat, 03 December 2016, 09:36:21 »
In order to do triple-shot, there's gonna to be an additional machine set up by the double-shot machine. This means doubling the existing tooling.

Offline pon10

• looking at my keycaps..
« Reply #96 on: Fri, 09 December 2016, 10:59:58 »
Hey, nice set! what about something like this for a international kit?

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=85609.0

Offline Trente

« Reply #97 on: Fri, 09 December 2016, 18:08:36 »
This color looks fantasic! Definitely in for on if GB available.

Offline [Lewynlight]

• Formerly Dymloslouire
« Reply #98 on: Fri, 23 December 2016, 21:50:03 »
waiting..
TGR Jane V1 CE - TGR Jane v2 - TGR Jane V2 CE  - TGR 910 R1 - TGR 910 RE Polycarbonate - TGR 910v3 Prototype - TGR Police - TGR Tris - TGR Tomo Polycarbonate - RS60 - RS65 "Pendora" - RS TKL - EM8

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #99 on: Mon, 09 January 2017, 05:27:29 »

Show Image

Reminder everyone

someday....
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.