Author Topic: Question regarding switches  (Read 1284 times)

Offline 443330

Question regarding switches
« on: Fri, 30 December 2011, 00:13:35 »
Hi there, I have a question regarding the different switches, What I want to know is which switch would have the least amount of lag/stay.
Ill try to explain what I mean by this, at the moment I am using a horrible old compaq kb and noticed when I try and play a game the key doesn't stop registering as soon as you lift your finger off, there is like an added lag.

As a extremely poor example, say you are in a game and you are running forward with the W key, your goal is to stop dead on a line. So you run forward and let go of the W key only to find you are still moving forward in the game for maybe 0.3 of a second. I would like to know which switch would have the lowest delay from the time you lift your finger off to the time it stops sending information to the computer.

If I were to guess I would guess mx blacks or clears would be ideal as they require quite a lot of force to actuate, so my reasoning being the spring is stronger and would push up faster than a weak spring. But this is a simplified theory that may not hold true in the real world.

Also if you believe the difference between the varying switches is tiny please say so.

Thank you.

Offline Tony

« Reply #1 on: Fri, 30 December 2011, 01:36:24 »
Set the delay and repeat time in Control Panel->Keyboard.
« Last Edit: Fri, 30 December 2011, 02:46:51 by Tony »
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline 443330

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 30 December 2011, 02:05:00 »
Hi Tony, thanks for the reply, but unfortunately its not what I am asking about.

Offline Human

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 30 December 2011, 02:12:46 »
For your desperateness of reaction time, getting a switch as heavy as you can afford is probably the best.
Black should be a good choice as it combine both heavy and short actuation distance(some claimed as short as 1.5mm).

Also, the [strike]marketing gimmick[/strike] 1000Hz USB polling rate may help you if you are not using PS/2 connection.

Offline 443330

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 30 December 2011, 02:15:38 »
Hi Human, How much of a difference do you think there will be between reds and blacks? I like the idea of reds having less force to actuate more.

About the 1000Hz gimmick I do remember reading on a wiki or thread here about keyboards and polling rates, either way I have my usb ports at 500hz for my IME 3.0 mouse.

Also your post about polling rate brings up a valid point, could it also be the 125 or 250hz of the PS2 connection I am currently using be contributing towards this lag?

The keyboard is old and the keys feel squishy yuck

Offline Human

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 30 December 2011, 02:20:30 »
Personally, I can't even identify the delay between depressing of keys and stopping of movements in game for both blue/brown switch, thus I assume the RED will not different much in the rebounce time.

Normal USB keyboards or mices are having a polling rate of below 250Hz. I don't think there is much or any ppl who can really identify the different between 250Hz and 1000Hz for keyboards.

Offline 443330

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 30 December 2011, 02:22:32 »
Yea, but you haven't tried this keyboard I am using :P
Personally I can tell the difference from 125hz to 500hz on my mouse, but not from 500hz to 1000.