Author Topic: Best. Keyboard. Ever. Ever.  (Read 1992 times)

Offline 1395985

Best. Keyboard. Ever. Ever.
« on: Tue, 27 March 2012, 20:58:54 »
Hey.

Just picked myself up two of these beauties - IBM Model M, type 1395985. They have green text on the left ALT key, and on the right CTRL key it says "Ctrl/Act". Also, these have a speaker installed in them, which I hear is not so common?

Here's the birth certificate of my personal, daily use Model M (I got them yesterday):

1991 is a special year for me, as I was 16, left school and started my first job as an electronic repair technician. I stripped both these boards right down, removed mechanisms, scrubbed and brushed the casings with household anti-bacterial spray, ensuring all grime, dust & dirt was completely and utterly gone (I'm meticulous - why leave a job half done?). The entire black plastic key well mouldings were hoovered, scrubbed, all keys & caps removed and soaked in warm water + shampoo + anti-bacterial cleaner over a few hours. Next, keys & caps were rinsed, drained, then hand brushed and scrubbed (the grime just slid off with ease!). Next, the wet keys and caps were left on a towel in the sun to dry - halfway through, I slapped the keys against my trouser leg, ensuring all water trapped deep inside was ejected right out (saves a LOT of drying time).

When dry, they were re-assembled (spent 20 mins looking for two missing keycaps, searching the grass outside where I took 'em to dry, only to find them sitting on the bathroom chair, later!), tested, curly cords cleaned, and then boards tested... THEY GLEAM!!

I'm amazed that being ~20 years old, the key caps have no wear whatsoever, a true testament to high build quality and decent plastics!

I love this keyboard. My friend said "Wow that's SO loud"... yeah, but so much better than modern rubbish!

Shook off my laziness, and uploaded a photo of the birth certificate of the second, Lexmark Model M I just got:

Ping! ---> http://audioboo.fm/boos/732636-lexmark-1395985-model-m-pings
« Last Edit: Thu, 29 March 2012, 21:35:48 by 1395985 »

Offline 1395985

« Reply #1 on: Tue, 27 March 2012, 21:19:02 »
Quote from: ripster;558673
Congrats!  yep, the speaker is not commonly in the Model M.

Does that make them worth more? Not that I care to sell.

Offline 1391401

• MX CLEAR
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 27 March 2012, 21:56:56 »
Great Keyboard, Great Story.  Mine, too, has green ALT keys.
People I've given money to from this webform who never respond to me and have not shipped me anything: ctrlalt.io 1 2, Team Readline Reputable alternatives to GH group buys: http://pimpmykeyboard.com, https://www.massdrop.com,

Offline squarebox

• In Omnia Paratus
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 27 March 2012, 22:16:23 »
Filco Yellow Edition  | Filco Brown | Filco 2 Brown TKL | G80-1950 | G80-3494 | G80-11900 | Leopold FC500R | Noppoo Choc Mini