Author Topic: Why Is The Noppoo Called Noppoo?  (Read 2386 times)

Offline 3one5

Why Is The Noppoo Called Noppoo?
« on: Thu, 10 March 2011, 13:55:15 »
No Poo, this is a decent board :)

Offline BababooeyHTJ

« Reply #1 on: Thu, 10 March 2011, 14:06:49 »
Have you seen the Engrish on the box?

Offline RiGS

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 10 March 2011, 14:12:34 »
Clearly US is not the target market.
Last edited by RiGS; Jan 2011

Offline 3one5

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 10 March 2011, 14:21:04 »
Quote from: ripster;309297
If the marketing department wanted to say it was decent my reasponse to them is why not  "NoSh** Sherlock"?

Or "Noppoo Sherlock" when children are in the room.

Offline 3one5

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 10 March 2011, 14:27:49 »
Quote from: ripster;309322
Maybe you didn't get the joke the first time.

Nobody can read Chinese?  Break down the characters for the other 3/4 of the population please.

It wouldn't be the first time :)

Offline manfaux

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 10 March 2011, 15:52:04 »
Noppoo doesn't mean anything in Mandarin whatsoever, the Chinese name 诺朴 is a phonetic translation of Noppoo and does not bear anything meaningful at all.

Offline manfaux

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 10 March 2011, 16:00:19 »
maybe one of these happened!

Offline flyinout

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 10 March 2011, 16:09:06 »
I'll try to explain the Chinese name"诺朴“。”诺“means承诺,允诺,means promise, maybe they want to tell the customers they will promise to offer high quality products and service. "朴" means 朴实,means no vanity, they will focus on the intrinsic value of product instead of useless appearance. This is my understanding.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Filco tenkeyless Brown.Razer Deathadder 3500[/SIZE]

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 10 March 2011, 16:12:01 »
Quote from: manfaux;309390
maybe one of these happened!

Show Image

Is this another example of epic fail translations?
ie automated translation returned the error message in the "translated field" and the operator thought it was the actual translation and printed it without knowing what he was printing?
In memory of smallfry 1996-2013
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline manfaux

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 10 March 2011, 16:13:08 »
Quote from: BucklingSpring;309402
Is this another example of epic fail translations?
ie automated translation returned the error message in the "translated field" and the operator thought it was the actual translation and printed it without knowing what he was printing?

Either that or maybe the restaurant owner (it says "restaurant" in Chinese) is just trolling us!

Offline pitashen

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 10 March 2011, 16:22:38 »
Quote from: ripster;309328
Show Image

request.

The Chinese version of "about noppoo" actually says noppoo is originated from US...(excuse me!?), and  so you are right that their products are definitely not intended to target outside of China, as  they went as far as trying to make locals to believe the brand is foreign from US... lame
« Last Edit: Thu, 10 March 2011, 16:42:15 by pitashen »
\\\\ DSI Mac Modular Keyboard (Brown) w/ Leo  Blank Keycaps //
\\\\ Leopold 87keys Keyboard (Brown) w/ Black CherryCorp + SP DoubleShots //
\\\\ Filco Majestouch 2 NINJA (Black) w/ White CherryCorp + SP DoublsShots //

Offline pitashen

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 10 March 2011, 16:33:00 »
Quote from: flyinout;309397
I'll try to explain the Chinese name"诺朴“。”诺“means承诺,允诺,means promise, maybe they want to tell the customers they will promise to offer high quality products and service. "朴" means 朴实,means no vanity, they will focus on the intrinsic value of product instead of useless appearance. This is my understanding.

No offense, but if you are Chinese, then you know typing noppoo in hanyu pinyin (chinese input) would only get you garbage. The above explanation is rather forced, but nice try :P
« Last Edit: Thu, 10 March 2011, 16:41:16 by pitashen »
\\\\ DSI Mac Modular Keyboard (Brown) w/ Leo  Blank Keycaps //
\\\\ Leopold 87keys Keyboard (Brown) w/ Black CherryCorp + SP DoubleShots //
\\\\ Filco Majestouch 2 NINJA (Black) w/ White CherryCorp + SP DoublsShots //

Offline laden3

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 10 March 2011, 16:55:50 »
This is like asking, "Why Is Filco Called Filco?"

****! I Love Cuming! Oh mama!

They chose a silly name so what someone at geekhack can make fun of it. Basic marketing strategy.

If these offended you... I'm solly.
« Last Edit: Thu, 10 March 2011, 16:58:23 by laden3 »
I rrrove brrracks.

Offline manfaux

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 10 March 2011, 18:32:21 »
filco bras!

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 10 March 2011, 18:51:44 »
It's called "Noppoo" because it rhymes with "weeaboo".

Offline Pylon

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 10 March 2011, 20:09:44 »
Now what about Unicomp, iOne, and all these other names we see?

Offline flyinout

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 10 March 2011, 21:05:57 »
Quote from: pitashen;309416
No offense, but if you are Chinese, then you know typing noppoo in hanyu pinyin (chinese input) would only get you garbage. The above explanation is rather forced, but nice try :P

Yeah, I'm Chinese. Just like many foreign brands entered the Chinese market, they choose a Chinese name which have good meanings in Chinese.For example, BMW, 宝马,means great horse. Benz, 奔驰,means running. As noppoo's official site said that it is from U.S, it is also likely that they wanner choose a Chinese name which sounds like its original name and also has good meaning in Chinese.
That's my another guess:).....
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline ningbo182

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 10 March 2011, 21:22:11 »
Quote from: flyinout;309637
Yeah, I'm Chinese. Just like many foreign brands entered the Chinese market, they choose a Chinese name which have good meanings in Chinese.For example, BMW, 宝马,means great horse. Benz, 奔驰,means running. As noppoo's official site said that it is from U.S, it is also likely that they wanner choose a Chinese name which sounds like its original name and also has good meaning in Chinese.
That's my another guess:).....

em... u really think noppoo is a "american" brand?
well so far as i know choc mini was designed and produced by Plum

Offline YpoCaramel

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 10 March 2011, 21:25:11 »
Is it just me or is the first line "Noppoo, originating from America" hahaha (edit - oops beaten to the punch.)

From my quick skim the rest is just telling people how full research they are and introducing some of their other products; fairly standard Chinese marketing fluff.
Keyboards: IBM Model M M13, Filco Majestouch Tactile 104, PS3 Wireless Keypad, Logitech Dinovo mini
Other Input Devices In Use: Logitech G9, Razer Orochi, Fragnstein, MX Air, Orbita
Not on hand: Evoluent Vertical Mouse, Logitech G5, Razer Diamondback, Wacom Graphire 3

Offline flyinout

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 10 March 2011, 21:29:52 »
Quote from: ningbo182;309641
em... u really think noppoo is a "american" brand?
well so far as i know choc mini was designed and produced by Plum

well,maybe an American company holds parts of its share and named it.....
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline ningbo182

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 10 March 2011, 21:37:07 »
Quote from: flyinout;309647
well,maybe an American company holds parts of its share and named it.....

glad you said that,
cos i was thinking probably just the same group of ppl registered a new brand at US
also im curious about this page http://www.thenoppoo.com/world/contact.html

none of those is working

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 11 March 2011, 01:05:14 »
Many companies here in China claim that they are from overseas; I once had a manager at Dicos (a fast food restaurant) tell me that they are the most popular restaurant in America besides McDonald's!  I thought that it was pretty funny.

But, you know what?  I bet plenty of American companies do the same thing.  I wonder if Foster's really is "Australian for beer" or if people in Australia ever eat a Outback Steakhouse.

The truth is that the problem isn't Chinese people lying (or maybe they really DO have ties to American investors or something), the problem is that marketers lie.  Their whole job is to make you think you need something that you didn't need before.  Gosh, I'm cynical today.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline YpoCaramel

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 11 March 2011, 01:21:38 »
Well legally it wouldn't be difficult - register a private corporation the US, staff it with a few people and an office somewhere, get a few friends and relatives to the company officiers (whatever is required by law at its place of incorportion). The members/shareholders can be whoever the boss of the Chinese company or the Chinese company itself, whatever is easier. Probably quite useful, it might help them with import and IP registration, and you probably need an office outside mainland PRC to handle transcations with foreigners anyways (foreign exchange controls), though usually that is handled in Hong Kong.

As for marketing, well the term is broad. It's more than just ads and packaging.
Keyboards: IBM Model M M13, Filco Majestouch Tactile 104, PS3 Wireless Keypad, Logitech Dinovo mini
Other Input Devices In Use: Logitech G9, Razer Orochi, Fragnstein, MX Air, Orbita
Not on hand: Evoluent Vertical Mouse, Logitech G5, Razer Diamondback, Wacom Graphire 3

Offline chimborazo

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 11 March 2011, 04:23:13 »
Quote from: heedpantsnow;309760
Many companies here in China claim that they are from overseas; I once had a manager at Dicos (a fast food restaurant) tell me that they are the most popular restaurant in America besides McDonald's!  I thought that it was pretty funny.

But, you know what?  I bet plenty of American companies do the same thing.  I wonder if Foster's really is "Australian for beer" or if people in Australia ever eat a Outback Steakhouse.

The truth is that the problem isn't Chinese people lying (or maybe they really DO have ties to American investors or something), the problem is that marketers lie.  Their whole job is to make you think you need something that you didn't need before.  Gosh, I'm cynical today.

Well, a few years ago everyone or almost everyone thought that buying american meant exactly that; just to find out later that wasn’t the case. I remember this guy I used to work with, he'd get all worked up and would disagree to no end with anyone who would buy a toyota or a honda.

I didn't like foster but my admiration for australian boobs hasn’t diminished.

Offline chimborazo

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 11 March 2011, 04:33:37 »
Quote from: YpoCaramel;309761
Well legally it wouldn't be difficult - register a private corporation the US, staff it with a few people and an office somewhere, get a few friends and relatives to the company officiers (whatever is required by law at its place of incorportion). The members/shareholders can be whoever the boss of the Chinese company or the Chinese company itself, whatever is easier. Probably quite useful, it might help them with import and IP registration, and you probably need an office outside mainland PRC to handle transcations with foreigners anyways (foreign exchange controls), though usually that is handled in Hong Kong.

As for marketing, well the term is broad. It's more than just ads and packaging.

You are correct. That’s exactly what mr zhang zhang zhang is doing by selling noppoo.com for almost three hundred -- last time I checked.

I noticed a pattern w/ your pinky finger. Either the keycap on position 'a' needs some cleaning, the cap is not properly aligned, the switch isn’t working as it should or you are not fully depressing the switch. In any case, you either need a simple green cleaning solution, whitening toothpaste,  and compressed air, or a gripmaster to strengthen your hands.
I dont work for either company.  Just thought I’d mention it.