Author Topic: Alps maybe?  (Read 2093 times)

Offline 486

Alps maybe?
« on: Mon, 03 September 2012, 01:14:52 »
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/251136584534?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
Won both these. Top board looked very alpsy to me. It has the doubleshot keys in Alps style and the bigass enter. I hope it has alps as it is a  smaller board (compared with the Compaq). However, it has that BTC metal back panel but BTC caps look way different. I hope it is some Alps clone like montereys or Omron, really want those.

Edit: just took another look at it, If you look carefully in pic 2, you can see the little banner thing that Focus 2001 boards have under the Function keys. Even more proof that it is an Alps board. I think it might be a 2001 clone. W00T!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Alps maybe?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 03 September 2012, 03:43:00 »
Nice :)

Reminds me of the day when a mechanical keyboard of some sort was standard with all "personal computers".
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 03 September 2012, 23:13:28 »
Here's the FCC-ID grant information:

It was issued in 1987, so it'd better not be RD
https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/Eas731GrantForm.cfm?mode=COPY&application_id=62617&fcc_id=GOG3YLTH-5539

Offline Daniel Beardsmore

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 05 September 2012, 16:26:46 »
That top one must have been made for the Banana Republic.

The Compaq board has the logo I remember from the 386N – don't recall the keyboards on those being anything special. Windows 3 on a Compaq 386N was ridiculously painful.
Bore Awards
Most Boring Person on the Planet – 2011 Winner

Offline 486

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 05 September 2012, 22:45:21 »
Also didn't some older Compaq boards use SDL cables?
It's not clear in any pics of the board but it would be nice to have a compaq branded SDL cable.
The board on top i have a big suspection it is white alps like the focus 2001. I already have a blue alps board (also came from the same seller) so a white alps or even better, monterey or orange omrons. I bought a whole lot of stuff from the seller so he is frieghting it and it should arrive soon.

Offline 486

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 06 September 2012, 05:37:30 »
Did I call it or what?
Alps compatible. It arrived with 3 other board that I wanted but this one stands out. Weirdest board I have ever seen.
The switches are not alps but are alps compatible. They look almost like blue alps but they have a slightly different shape.
The switches do not feel like blue alps though. They feel like Montereys. So imagine a blue alps switch housing with a monterey switch assembly inside and that is what this switch is. W00T.
This board was such good money for the price I paid. it's also xt/at switchable.

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 06 September 2012, 07:26:07 »
Pics?
Bore Awards

Offline 486

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 07 September 2012, 03:41:12 »
Certainly. After I clean the boards. I want them to look good in the photos.
I am really satisfied what I got from the seller. 4 awesome boards for about $30.

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 07 September 2012, 09:15:16 »
Even the one that was bent like a banana? I'm surprised that even works – I guess the PCB must be really flexible.
Bore Awards

Offline 486

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 07 September 2012, 17:10:13 »
It actually isn't bent. I t looks that that way becuase t was sitting on the cable in the pics and the plastic from the front side is ergonomically designed. It feels more like blue alps now that I lubed one of the sliders.